PDA

View Full Version : Mystic?

The-Mage-King
2014-03-18, 02:45 AM
So, bringing up a little-known base class here.

The Mystic, from Dragonlance Campaign setting.

The book itself is WotC published, and thus official 3.5.

The class...Is basically a Wisdom-based Sorc with 3/4th BAB, d8 HD, good Fort, and a domain. That draws from the Cleric list.

Opinions? Would it just be better to go with the same optimizations that you would a Favored Soul, or more similar to Cleric?

EDIT: Any prestige classes you can think of that it'd fit perfectly in, too? Useful builds?

Lonely Tylenol
2014-03-18, 03:56 AM
I'm pretty sure the Mystic doesn't see a lot of use anywhere because it is basically an earlier iteration of the Favored Soul, and otherwise a slightly worse iteration of the spontaneous Cleric variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm), which retains both domains and also has turn undead. I'd imagine for either of these, there are some domains which grant some excellent spells which are much better used repeatedly, but aside from that, it basically just allows you domain access for prestige classes that Favored Soul doesn't.

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-18, 08:18 AM
I like it better than Favored Soul, personally. And it is slightly lower power than Spontaneous Cleric.

The-Mage-King
2014-03-18, 10:01 AM
I'm pretty sure the Mystic doesn't see a lot of use anywhere because it is basically an earlier iteration of the Favored Soul, and otherwise a slightly worse iteration of the spontaneous Cleric variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm), which retains both domains and also has turn undead. I'd imagine for either of these, there are some domains which grant some excellent spells which are much better used repeatedly, but aside from that, it basically just allows you domain access for prestige classes that Favored Soul doesn't.

About what I thought. Just made this thread to see if anyone else had good ideas about it. All I can think of is "Grab the best domain, go to town".... :smalltongue:

I like it better than Favored Soul, personally. And it is slightly lower power than Spontaneous Cleric.

Yeah, same here. Wis-SAD instead of Wis+Cha, too, though.

Chronos
2014-03-18, 10:13 AM
Doesn't this class, or one very much like it, also show up in Oriental Adventures?

atomicwaffle
2014-03-18, 10:17 AM
the dragonlance campaign settings depress me:smallfrown:

The-Mage-King
2014-03-18, 10:23 AM
Doesn't this class, or one very much like it, also show up in Oriental Adventures?

It apparently gets Shaman. Which, aside from a tiny spell list...

Looks to be a somewhat more potent Cleric, with class features? :smallconfused:

the dragonlance campaign settings depress me:smallfrown:

The splats have some fun stuff. Dynamic Priest, and the like.

But yeah, it's mostly dreck.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-03-18, 10:38 AM
It's probably a bit better than the Favored Soul thanks to SAD, and the fact that it has the right skills to actually get into cleric PrCs.

About what I thought. Just made this thread to see if anyone else had good ideas about it. All I can think of is "Grab the best domain, go to town".... :smalltongue:
Yeah. Also, the right PrCs:

Anything that grants extra domains should grant you more spells known, at least by logical readings. Sovereign Speaker would explicitly work, with 5 levels of the class granting you +5 domains at the cost of -1 CL, but that's two setting-based classes.
You'll probably want to pick up Turn Undead from a dip into Sacred Exorcist or something like that, so you can use divine feats.

So something like Mystic 4/Church Inquisitor 1/Sovereign Speaker 5/Sacred Exorcist 10 would be solid build.

mostlyharmful
2014-03-18, 10:38 AM
It's good for what it was intended (pre-soulwar smash-up) - a gritty, low power level fantasy world. Even the original authors have said that 3.5 and mid to high level play breaks the world into little tiny shards.

That being said there's some fun things such as the WizofHighSorc and Minataur Pirates... nothing especially essential but some fun fluff to copy/pasta into a more developed world.