PDA

View Full Version : Handle Animal sans Wild Empathy

Theomniadept
2014-03-18, 04:40 AM
So whilst playing a Paladin with the Slow flaw and trait I thought to myself that, were we to encounter a wolf or something in the woods I could use Handle Animal to use a temporary mount, but then it occurred to me; without Wild Empathy, how does even the simple Commoner get an animal to do something? Animals may initially be neutral in attitude but unless they are willing to be trained then the skill seems inapplicable.

BWR
2014-03-18, 05:25 AM
Commoners trap animals, spend ages trying to get them used to humans (or whatever race), then breed them into servility and raise them from birth. Without Wild Empathy or epic rolls on HA you are not going to walk up to a wild animal and convince it to be a mount on a single roll in a single encounter, it takes time and effort.

Theomniadept
2014-03-18, 05:28 AM
The problem is more of a rules thing than a logic thing. RAW typical domesticated animals are indifferent, while wild animals are unfriendly. This leads to a problem; are animals indifferent to training, and if so does that mean that the best way to procure animals for the party is animal baby abduction?

Segev
2014-03-18, 09:23 AM
The problem is more of a rules thing than a logic thing. RAW typical domesticated animals are indifferent, while wild animals are unfriendly. This leads to a problem; are animals indifferent to training, and if so does that mean that the best way to procure animals for the party is animal baby abduction?

Well, yes. Animals are not moral agents, so the whole "kidnapping is evil" thing doesn't apply when you're out hunting for pets.