PDA

View Full Version : The Trial of Lord Shojo thread

Charles Phipps
2007-02-03, 03:41 AM
Yes, Lord Shojo [having been brought back from the dead for this thread] is accused of numerous crimes and wickedness in his role as Lord of Azure City/Head of the Sapphire Guard.

This thread will "try" Lord Shojo for his actions and everyone is asked to give their charges, prosecution, defense, and suggested verdict for them.

Mr. Scruffy is our judge.

I'll start us off.

Charges: Lord Shojo is hereby accused of Aiding and abetting felons, Blackmail, conspiracy, disrespect to the 12 gods of Azure City, false arrest, fraud, impersonating a holy man (paladin), misusing Holy Order resources, oathbreaking, and withholding evidence

Prosecution: Your honor, gentlebeings of the Jury, Lord Shojo has displayed appalling behavior above and beyond that of a normal human being. However, we cannot charge him for lying about his senility to close family or countless acts of rude behavior to the people underneath him. The fact that Lord Shojo is a jerk isn't something to charge him with. It does speak volumes about his character though.

The first charge is directly related to the fifth charge where Lord Shojo ordered the Order of the Stick arrested and dragged across half the world against their will only to be subjected to a sham of a trial for the man's own twisted amusement. Given that he was the one to send out their order for arrest, Lord Shojo can only have done this for his own amusement. This exposed Paladin Miko to undo harm and stress plus the Order of the Stick.

He furthermore abused his position by holding the death sentence that HE imposed over the heads of the Order of the Stick in order to force them to comply with his wishes.

Lord Shojo's conspiracy charges are related to the fact that he has used his state of senility to carry out orders from a position that is unassailable due to the belief he was not fit for command. His intent to commit criminal acts without people looking too deeply at the selfish nature of his orders is considerable.

Lord Shojo's issues of religious disrespect can be summarized by the fact that used a ghost to impersonate a Solar Deva. Again, this seems to be for his amusement.

His position as Fraud and Impersonating a Holy Man is by the fact that as Lord of the Sapphire Guard he must be a paladin but as actually an aristocrat, his impersonation allowed him to gain the services of an order that never would have followed him otherwise.

Misusing holy resources include keeping his pet cared for and pampered by Paladins that had no reason to believe this action would serve their mandate.

Oathbreaking is a simple case of Lord Shojo holding the position of Lord of Azure City and the Sapphire Guard but refusing to honor the intendent responsibilities thereof for it. If he wanted to save the world, and who doesn't, then he should have honorably resigned.

As for withholding evidence, the entire farce of a trial is based upon countless things that he kept from the court under the cover of his dementia.

Recommended Sentence: I suggest that Lord Shojo be stripped of his crown, position as head of the Saphire guard, and all accompanying ranks and priviledges dishonorably. Furthermore, that he serve a sentence of the rest of his life behind bars.

Demented
2007-02-03, 03:44 AM
http://www.croik.com/PW/rips/objection.gif
This trial has no judge, no jury, and no executioner! This is clearly a show trial ingoring due process. If the state is unwilling to adhere to its own law, I demand that my client be exonerated and released!

Edit:
Fine, there is a judge. But he is clearly not a qualified judge.
All he's done so far is meow and eat cat food.

Charles Phipps
2007-02-03, 03:45 AM
Which arguably makes him overqualified.

:-)

Darkuwa
2007-02-03, 03:46 AM
He is not guilty of impersonating a paladin. He never said he was. I'm fairly sure that the paladins knew he was not.

Charles Phipps
2007-02-03, 03:47 AM
I think the implications were that the head of the Sapphire Guard is supposed to be a Paladin.

But you may be right.

Neopolis
2007-02-03, 03:49 AM
http://www.croik.com/PW/rips/objection.gif
This trial has no judge, no jury, and no executioner! This is clearly a show trial ingoring due process. If the state is unwilling to adhere to its own law, I demand that my client be exonerated and released!

Edit:
Fine, there is a judge. But he is clearly not a qualified judge.
All he's done so far is meow and eat cat food.
Come on, you were all thinking it.

Nightmarenny
2007-02-03, 03:51 AM
Charges: Lord Shojo is hereby accused of
Aiding and abetting felons-The order aint felons so no.
Blackmail-when?
conspiracy-I suppose. But what was he conspiring to do? Break an oath? Is that a law or just dishonor?
disrespect to the 12 gods of Azure City-They don't seem to feel this way. I say that as long as the gods don't press charges, he's good.
false arrest-Yes....
fraud-and yes
impersonating a holy man (paladin)-He never said he was a Palidan.
misusing Holy Order resources-By saving the world?
oathbreaking-Again is that against the law?
and withholding evidence-yes

Demented
2007-02-03, 03:51 AM
If an Inevitable tracks me down and destroys me, the gods shall know that you were to blame, Neopolis.

Querzis
2007-02-03, 05:02 AM
Charges: Lord Shojo is hereby accused of
Aiding and abetting felons-The order aint felons so no.
Blackmail-when?
conspiracy-I suppose. But what was he conspiring to do? Break an oath? Is that a law or just dishonor?
disrespect to the 12 gods of Azure City-They don't seem to feel this way. I say that as long as the gods don't press charges, he's good.
false arrest-Yes....
fraud-and yes
impersonating a holy man (paladin)-He never said he was a Palidan.
misusing Holy Order resources-By saving the world?
oathbreaking-Again is that against the law?
and withholding evidence-yes

Agreed with everything but false arrest, the OOTS were really guilty of weakening the universe after all and without him and Roy father, they would have been found guilty.

I have been wondering too if oathbreaking is suppose to be against the law. After all, its an oath the paladins made and the city is not even supposed to know the saphire guard exist so it really shoudnt be against the law.

I said partially guilty because I guess the fraud part is true.

Doglord
2007-02-03, 05:04 AM
Mr Scruffy should become the new head of the paladins

Matrix Dragon
2007-02-03, 05:05 AM
O-chul: Not only did he have me lock people up without trial... I HAD TO CLEAN THE CATS LITTER BOX!

Charles Phipps
2007-02-03, 05:08 AM
Yes, the False Imprisonment charge is another interesting point. There's no real reason for Lord Shojo to not give Nale a trial. It's something he does simply because he doesn't want to bother with the whole thing.

Matrix Dragon
2007-02-03, 05:11 AM
Actually, one could argue he did it to maintain the secrecy of his governments covert ops... after all, while infiltrating the Order of the Stick, Nale learnt some VERY interesting secrets.

Charles Phipps
2007-02-03, 05:13 AM
Shojo's covering himself just sort of digs himself a little deeper though.

Green Bean
2007-02-03, 05:17 AM
Well, Shojo did break his oath to not interfere with the Gates, and he did rig a trial, so he's certainly guilty. And if his trial is judges by an actual being of pure law and good, he's in trouble, because I don't think embodiments of pure law and good are too big on mitigating factors.

Rainspattered
2007-02-03, 11:14 AM
I think the implications were that the head of the Sapphire Guard is supposed to be a Paladin.

But you may be right.
Implying something isn't illegally. Claiming something is. It's not his fault, what they assumed.

He has technically done some of the things you mentioned, but in all given instances, he has had massive extenuating circumstances. It is illegal to kill someone, for instance, but self-defense is an extenuating circumstance. Similar circumstances apply to all charges of which Shinjo was actually guilty.

Porthos
2007-02-03, 11:45 AM
I don't think embodiments of pure law and good are too big on mitigating factors.

Why not? Beings of Pure Law, sure. But Beings of Pure Law and Good? Why that's the difference between an Inevitable and an Archon. You can go to the Archon and say, "Dude, what I did was to save the universe (and you, BTW) from destruction."

An Archon should take that under consideration (being Good and all) while an Inevitable wouldn't care. :smallsmile:

Hel65
2007-02-03, 12:04 PM
I'd like to point out that this trial isn't without an executioner and a jury. Jury are we. And the executioner... well, skipped the whole thing and executed Shojo right away :P

Sesquedoodle
2007-02-03, 02:46 PM
And the executioner... well, skipped the whole thing and executed Shojo right away :P

Wouldn't that make this a show trial anyway? If the defendant is executed no matter what the verdict?

...I'll shut up now.

Wyborn
2007-02-03, 05:24 PM
Most of the stuff he did was most likely within his executive power: however, rigging a trial is almsot certainly illegal, and he did break the oath of the Sapphire Guard, so he's bound to be guilty of one of those.

BardicLasher
2007-02-03, 05:28 PM
I believe our only verdict possible is "Meow."

Sethis
2007-02-03, 05:32 PM
Prosecutor: Are you guily?
Shojo: I can't say anything.
Prosecuter: Why?
Shojo: Its a matter of National Multi-Dimensional Security.

He wins.

Charles Phipps
2007-02-03, 05:52 PM
I wonder if he's the King if he doesn't serve the Gods.

Wyborn
2007-02-03, 05:53 PM
You don't have to be a Paladin to serve the gods.

Yzorth
2007-02-03, 06:42 PM
I don't think Shojo will get a trial because I don't think he will be revived.

Bosswald
2007-02-03, 06:49 PM
He's guilty of most of it. Blackmail, Fraud, Conspiracy, Misuse of the Order, Oathbreaking and Eithholding evidence, anyway. I happen to agree with his reasons, but that's not going to get him off.