PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Crypt Lords (E6 rogue-like, solo)

Kaptin Keen
2014-03-18, 06:33 AM
30 years ago, the Crypt Lords arose.

Their existance had long been rumored and prophesied, but no one really believed the old tales. If such a terrible evil had once existed, how was it ever defeated? And once defeated, how could it rise again?

There may never be an answer to those questions, but the facts are inarguable: The Seven rose, and with them rose armies of the dead, an insurmountable tide of walking corpses. The nations of the world banded together, stalwart knights and masters of the arcane, faithful priests and brave footmen. All to no avail.

It's not easy to fight an enemy that can run, day and night, for weeks on end, without ever tiring. It's hard to face an enemy that never breaks, never routs, never fears. And enemy for whom any and every sacrifice of troops is acceptable.

An enemy whose numbers increase, every time one of your own falls.

The township of Helgen (meaning saint in Danish) is far from any of the battlefronts. Of the Seven Cryptlords, the armies of Űlhamac and Chor are engaged a thousand miles to the north, while Esprecht and Phystos are pushing in from the west and east, respectively. Ur-Chraile has been spotted far to the south, but has thus far avoided combat, while the last two, Odo and Skyth remain unaccounted for.

Until this morning.

The Town of Helgen:

Helgen is a walled town of 2000 souls - though at present, only around 600 remain: The old, the weak, the infirm. Also a few of dubious morals: Deserters, looters, thieves. Finally, there are some who simply wasn't around when the Kings conscriptors came around, hunters and farmers and so on.

All is not well in Helgen. Crops go untended, stores are running low, and a few old men try to fill the role of constables. The skies are heavy with black clouds, the rains are constant, and the town is in open decay without a populace to maintain it.

Even far from the front, the price of war is heavy.

Then this morning, the citizens that remain woke to a chilling sight. A ring of thralls and soulless surround the town, shoulder to shoulder, thousands of them against the towns scant hundreds. Above their encampment the the red, fanged banner of Skyth the Relentless can be seen.

There is no rescue, and no real option for defence - there are simply too few armed men in town to effectively man the walls. And the fact that the enemy is just standing there, motionsless, patient, only prolongs and deepens the sense of doom and despair.

Last night, you had a dream.

Techwarrior
2014-03-19, 10:57 PM
Erica had awoken in a cold sweat this morning. Her dream had been... unsettling to say the least.

She knew she had to do something though for these people, but she couldn't think what. The ring of the dead was more than the people could hope to overcome. She knew there had to be a way past them, but the more people she took with her, the riskier it would become.

Erica intends to try and gather a couple of others to make a getaway with her. She couldn't think of anything that she could do to help the town. All she could do was get killed to. Besides, even though she had no real reason to believe that it was true, there was something that made her believe, with unshakable faith, the dream.

Erica d'Jorasco (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=832404)

I don't know what kind of rolls you want, but Erica is going to look for someone that she believes she believes she can trust to come with her. She would also like to see what she can do about finding a dog to befriend with Wild Empathy.

Kaptin Keen
2014-03-20, 04:11 AM
As a ranger:

You have a dog. A big (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/wolf.htm)one.

You also know things. Some years ago, the town was plagued by dire badgers. You yourself was instrumental in ending their reign of rather low-scale terror - but for that reason, you know that their tunnels still exist under the town, and has several exits. Both inside town, and out beyond the ring of thralls and soulless. And they are easily large enough for you to navigate - a grown human would have to stoop rather a bit.

As a member of a divine caster class, you also know a few tidbits about the undead. Thralls are basic footsoldiers, near-mindless but driven by a low cunning and instinctive malice. They are not zombies - do not expect them to be slow. Soulless on the other hand are a strange mix of material and immaterial - their bodies fade away below their torsos. They are spear throwers, and seem to have senses beyond normal vision.

Personally, you also know some people - such as Giorn the hunter, Lute the tanner, and a half-elven bowyer called Thuillen.

You are in your home. It is morning.

Your possessions are meagre. You have 2 apples, 1 loaf of bread, 2 candles, and some odd bits of clothing and odds and ends. Starvation is not far off, and nor is winter - the cold is setting in, and you've already burned some furniture in the stove. The neighbors, to be exact, he wont be needing it.

I need to know where you want to go, and when you will go there.

The town has a market (with blacksmiths, merchants, potters, leatherworkers), tho the shops tend to be closed these days. There is a temple, where Brother Cassius holds fervent sermons. There is an inn - the Dragons Breath - where a certain type of rough-shod individual is likely to hang out.

You could also go to the walls, and have a look at the opposition, or to the guard house, where the towns sad excuse for stalwart defenders hang out.

Or any other idea you yourself might have =)

Techwarrior
2014-03-20, 08:48 AM
Erica ponders her course of action, if she could leave a trail through the tunnels, the village might just be able to get to safety.

I have to try. I've devoted my life to this town, I can't just abandon it.

What does Erica know about the Survival skill, combat ability, and general disposition of Lute the Tanner, Thuillen the Fletcher, and Giorn the Hunter?

Where is the nearest town that might be safer for these people?

Is Brother Cassius, or anyone else in the town, a caster?

What manner of gathering the town's inhabitants is common?

I'm going to swap out a point of Hide for Handle Animal, so that I can teach Spike (the wolf) the following tricks:
Attack (all) (2)
Down
Track
Heel
Stay

Kaptin Keen
2014-03-20, 01:44 PM
Thuillen and Giorn are both experienced in weapon use, and Giorn might be your equal at wilderness lore. Lute is just a tanner.

You're fairly convinced that while no great miracle worker, brother Cassius is capable of at least a few spells. He is, however, old and frail, and very devoted to his flock.

There were once fairly regular gatherings in town, but the war has changed that. People are scared, and tend to stay at home. Frankly, you're a little unsure how many even attend the service in the temple anymore.

Techwarrior
2014-03-21, 08:06 AM
Erica goes to visit Thuillen. Hopefully she can convince him to come with her. On her way, she listens to anyone out and about talking about the undead.

Kaptin Keen
2014-03-21, 11:30 AM
Erica goes to visit Thuillen. Hopefully she can convince him to come with her. On her way, she listens to anyone out and about talking about the undead.

... when? Right away, or?

Techwarrior
2014-03-21, 02:16 PM
Yes. First she gives Spike the Stay command. He shouldn't leave the house now without her coming back and saying so. Maybe she could get him a scrap of meat while she was out.

Kaptin Keen
2014-03-22, 04:08 AM
As you leave your home, grey clouds streak across a sky still crimson with dawn. A chill in the air signals the closeness of winter, and the wind drives a slight drizzle that is neither really rain, nor dry.

Down in the streets, among the buildings, it's still mostly dark. You go left down Tanner Way, across a nameless little square where and old lady used to tell fortunes, and come turn right at St. Ells. Down the road you spot a man rooting among the garbage.

Info:

You didn't specify anything, but since you're a halfling, I assume you're fairly stealthy. Hence, you spot him before he notices you.

You do not recognize the man - but that's not as strange as might seem. In such a fairly small town, you know everyone by face and almost all by name, but since the war there has been an influx of strangers that you've yet to meet and greet.

How shalt thou proceed?
Also, roll listen.

Techwarrior
2014-03-31, 11:06 AM
Listen: [roll0]

Erica learned caution at a young age. She moves up against the wall to better hide herself and pays careful attention to the stranger. At worst, she should be able to go around, but she didn't know what his intent was currently.

Taking 10 on Hide for a check of 20.

Kaptin Keen
2014-03-31, 03:25 PM
Taking refuge in the shadows, Erica listens to the stranger as he tears through various piles of trash and other things - some just contents of chamber pots and kitchen bins, others left or dropped in a hurry as previous owners fled the war, or rushed to join the ranks of defenders.

He goes, softly and slowly, throught a long list of colorful expletives, before saying 'gods dammit, there has to be something in here!'

Since you are unaware of the potential consequences of being discovered - and since those unknown consequences might be dangerous - I'd like a roll for hide.

It is indeed possible to move around. It will make the trip a bit longer, is all.

Techwarrior
2014-03-31, 05:39 PM
Damn. Quite understandable though [roll0]

Erica takes out a boomerang and steps into the middle of the road, but advances slowly, hands raised as a peace gesture. As she speaks, she hopes that between her size, and the Dragonmark of Jorsasco, she'll seem non-threatening to the man and he won't attack. As she speaks, she is careful to note any hostile action, and holds herself ready to react.

"Hail traveler. What is it you were looking for?"

Kaptin Keen
2014-03-31, 07:53 PM
The man, caught completely unaware, jumps in surprise - then whirls, and a couple of long daggers appear in his hands. There is a clear gleam of desperation in his eyes, as he slowly advances.

'A wee halfling, eh? Food, lil miss - I'm looking for food. But I'll take what you have, in exchange for your life.'

We shall need initiative.

Rolls:

Oh, say - does the dice roller still function?! Well, I guess I'll find out.

Initiative: [roll0]
Other roll 1: [roll1]
Other roll 2: [roll2]
Different roll A: [roll3]
Different roll B: [roll4]

A fight seems about to happen. I'd like to know how you plan on reacting.

Techwarrior
2014-03-31, 08:32 PM
Erica attempts to act non-chalant as she pulls an apple from her pack.

"Here Stranger. I wish no quarrel with you, but I must point out that I will not go down so easily as you might expect."

I'll assume a full-round of actions, since I definitely was not Surprised.
Move Action: Manipulate Item: Specifically, Erica pulls an apple out of her pack.
Free Action: 5 ft. Step to the closest wall.
Standard Action: Ready: Erica will make an attack should he, or anyone else she notice, do anything overtly hostile towards her, such as charging or moving in with the intent to harm.
Attack [roll0]
Crit Confirm [roll1] (crit on 20, double damage)
Damage [roll2]
Attack roll to catch: [roll3] DC 10.

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-01, 03:48 AM
Clever - I like it.

Erica positions herself against the wall, and as she does so, spots the man's partner - who had been stealthily trying to flank her. The first assailant looks tempted by the apple, but the partner, a scrawny and evil looking man, whispers:

'Look, Eber - it has food. Maybe if we can take it alive, it has entertainment too.'

He grins wickedly as he moves in to attack. As he does so however, he gains a boomerang to the face, giving him a nasty cut across one cheek and upper neck below the ear. He cries out in pain and anger.

The two men attack - Eber, the garbage searcher, with a knife, while his stealthier partner uses a nail-shod club.

Eber:
Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
He has two knives, because that looks dangerous, but he has no feats with which to make use of both.

Geller (for such is his name):
Attack roll: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

They make a pretty pathetic show of themselves, both missing. As Gellers swing doesn't connect, he flails wildly, and instead hits Eber, dealing him a nasty blow to the shoulder.

Round ends.

Techwarrior
2014-04-01, 07:14 AM
Erica's AC is currently 16. She doesn't have her shield equipped.

"I don't want to have to hurt you two. You can have an apple each if you withdraw now. You can't take me out."

Erica drops the apple to the ground, keeping an eye on it as it rolls away slightly. She draws her sickle and waits for their reaction, keeping an eye on her two assailants.

Move Actions: Draw Weapon: Her sickle.
Standard: Ready. Should they continue attacking, Erica will strike at Gebbel if they both continue, or whichever one attacks if one of them halts.
Attack [roll0]
Crit Confirm [roll1] (20, x2)
Damage [roll2]
Free Action: If she can position herself where they can't just 5 ft. Step to flank, she'll 5 ft. there.

For reference, she has her boomerang in one hand, and her sickle in the other.

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-01, 08:56 AM
It seems you never rolled initiative? Or did I simply miss it?

Anyways ...

Eber may be an unpleasant man - even more so because of hunger and desperation - but his primary motivation is hunger. His eyes greedily follow the apple as it drops ...

He will grab it if it rolls towards him, 50/50 chance. Roll: [roll0]

Seeing the apple end up right at his feet, Eber grabs it, and backs off. He even drops on of his knives to do so.

Geller on the other hand is convinced that anyone giving away two apples must have even more. On top of that, he's evil, racist and a pig. He moves to flank, assuming that Eber will follow suit. Then he swings his club, aiming to hurt.

Geller, attack: [roll1] and damage: [roll2]

Had the two assailants been flanking, Erica might not have been able to avoid the solid swing of Gellers club - but as it stands, she's able to dodge it and avoid damage.

Techwarrior
2014-04-01, 03:21 PM
My apologies. I assumed you rolled it with your other big pile of rolls. [roll0]
Where does that put her, and did Erica's readied attack on Gebbel hit?

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-01, 05:44 PM
Oh yea - my apologies. I forgot you readied an attack. In hindsight, I'm going to just pretend it happens simultaneously.

As Geller steps in, swinging hard with his club, you attack in turn with your sickle. While Geller misses, you do not - instead, the inward curve of your blade slices across his exposed throat, sending a huge gout of blood into the air. Gellers eyes roll up under his eyelids, and he collapses to the street, unconcious and dying.

Seeing his mate fall, Eber quickly drops his second dagger, and takes another step back - holding up his hands pleadingly.

'I's so sorry, missus - we's just hungry, missus, desperate-like. Please don't kill me.'

Eber cuts a pathetic figure, half-starved, drooling slightly around the mouthfuls of apple, and terribly afraid for his life.

Techwarrior
2014-04-01, 06:18 PM
"I understand. I tried to warn you. Now, get over here and help me stop him from dying."

Erica drops her weapons and kneels over the wounded man, applying pressure to the injuries she gave him to keep them from bleeding out. She tears a strip of cloth from her jerkin and binds the wound.

Erica is asking him to Aid Another on a Heal check to give Geller First Aid. Erica's check: [roll0]
She continues to make checks until she succeeds, or the man dies. Assuming she stops the bleeding, she gives Eber instructions.

"Keep the wound clean and he'll come to sometime in the next day. Tell him he's to be very careful until that wound heals, and you both are not to assault any more people for food. Make sure he gets one of these apples, or that you'll be able to give him something different for food when he comes to. Also, see what you can do to gather what friends you have in the center of town, and try to get anybody else you can. The town needs to leave here, and I know a way out."

With that, Erica continues on her way, after she gathers her weapons again.

Techwarrior
2014-04-01, 06:20 PM
Additional heal checks to see how long it takes: [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-01, 06:45 PM
Eber is basically a blubbering mess - overwhelmed with gratitude, and relief, and so on. He helps to the best of his abilities - he's actually not bad with the first aid - and together you succeed at keeping Geller alive.

Then you move on. It's just a few more streets until you reach the home of Thuillen. The sun is climbing slowly into the sky, throwing red highlights on dark clouds. The rain is picking up a bit, the drizzle becoming light rain. The streets are empty, with people huddling in the relative safety of their homes. You meet no one else until you reach the small but sturdy house in which Thuillen lives.

Sturdy is an accurate description. Thuillen is by no means rich, but his family has been living in these parts for many years. Three generations, from the time of his elven grandfather (Theldarien - tho frankly you don't know that name), racks up to a long, long time. When this house was built, there were no walls and very little of the town, but it was built to last.

Thuillen is a bowyer. That means that his home features a shop, and also of course that he crafts and sells bows and arrows - and other paraphernalia such as quivers and bowstrings and so on. He crafts for the people who come to buy - so in general his goods are not super high quality, no one would be able to afford them anyways. However .... he has his own bow. And all the skill he does not devote to his customers? Yea.

There is a door. You may knock, or do other things as required?

Techwarrior
2014-04-01, 09:22 PM
Erica checks her weapons again nervously, and then knocks on the door heavily.

"Thuillen! It's me, Erica."

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-02, 04:57 AM
The door opens a crack, and a suspicious eye peers out. Then it swings open, and Thuillen says 'Erica! What brings you to my door?' - surprise clear on his face. Behind him, the shop is clearly locked down and not doing business. Displays are empty, shutters are closed tight.

Techwarrior
2014-04-02, 05:27 AM
Concern washes over Erica's face.

"Have you looked beyond the wall this morning? Perhaps we should speak inside."

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-02, 05:44 AM
I think I've described the exact timeline of events in a confusing - or decidedly incorrect - fashion.

The ring of undead appeared yesterday morning. The night following their appearance, you had the dream. So by now, everyone in town knows - unless they're totally isolationist.

'Sure, Erica' answers Thuillen, 'Come on in.' He stands aside to let you in, and as you settle yourself among the bric-a-brac of the dismantled store, he moves to the stove in the next room - from where a low whistling can be heard.

'Do you want a cup of tea?' he calls. You and Thuillen aren't friends, as such, but you know his tea will be an herbal, elven brew of some sort.

Techwarrior
2014-04-02, 06:47 AM
Erica accepts his offer if she doesn't think herbal elven brew is going to be some kind of alcoholic drink or somesuch. Otherwise she graciously declines, and gets right down to business.

"I think I have a way out of town, beyond the army's reach. Would you come with me as an ally? I'd like someone to come with, as two pairs of eyes are usually better than one."

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-02, 08:57 AM
The tea tastes very 'green' - bringing to mind both the sight, smell and ... taste, of the forest. Propably it's more of an acquired taste.

Thuillen mulls over your offer. He's clearly interested, but on the other hand what you're asking is highly dangerous and of little direct benefit to himself. Sure, getting out of the town sounds good, but you really don't know what's out there.

Finally, he says: 'I might join, sure. But for everything I need to leave here - and might never get back - I shall require compensation of say ... 100 gold crowns. Bring me that amount, and I'll join you.'

Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=847401)

Techwarrior
2014-04-02, 03:37 PM
"Let's be completely honest Thuillen. You're going to have to leave this area just to survive, I'm offering you the safest way out of town. You know I don't keep that much gold, and haven't since I came to live in this town. I'll have to start taking on odd jobs and the like, go back to adventuring, to pay anyone anything. I can keep selling the spells off of my Dragonmark once we reach civilization, but even that won't be much, once you account for the d'Jorasco discount. I do understand your concerns though. Assuming you come with me, I'll get you that money as soon as I reasonably can, and you'll get 20% of any profits we make during adventuring.

OOC:
Is Thuillen's two cantrips and three languages not being listed on purpose?

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-02, 06:30 PM
Posted from my phone, late at night, after a couple beers. Results may not match my intentions.

Ooc: heavens no, he's just a work in progress.

He replies: 'Erica, you claim to have the safest path out of town. I might not agree. I might not even agree that outside is any safer than in. Or I might have my own way out. Regardless, that's my offer. Should you come into possession of the gold - I'll be here.'

Thus speaks Thuillen.

Techwarrior
2014-04-02, 06:44 PM
Erica tries to think of something she could do to gain at least some of the gold.

"Are you sure Thuillen? I'd hate for you to wind up dying because you didn't take me up on this chance at escape from the undead army outside. What if I were to pay part of your price now, I might be able to scrape together some of it now, but I likely won't be able to get all of it."

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-03, 06:15 AM
This game is meant to be fiendishly hard. I don't mean to put you up against impossible challenges, but I do intend to let the world move around you, and try to kill you - by being clever, not overpowered. An example is that first encounter, a single sneak attack from Geller could have sent you back to the dice to roll a new character.

Had Erica died, her corpse would have littered the street, stripped of valuables - and those would have been in the hands of Geller and Eber. This would be allowable player knowledge. Because that's one of the ways you can make the game slightly easier.

Companions is another way to make the game slightly easier. But since it's still a fiendishly hard game, getting companions is fiendishly hard. Logic, yea?

So the first companion is expensive - but you already have that one. Two classes will start the game with an ally, and ranger happens to be one.

The second companion is very expensive. But consider that Erica may well return to town at some point, possibly with gold in pocket. Thuillen is ... not impossible to recruit now, but getting the 100 gold is (guess what) fiendishly hard.

Unsure if you want to know stuff like that - but I figured I'd give you a window on my thought process in this game.

Thuillen weighs his words before speaking:

"Erica, I trust you to have a plan - and maybe even a good one. But you should know me well enough to realise I'm not helpless. I have my own plans. If you want my help, you will have to come up with the gold. It's not that I'm greedy or not willing to help - but I can't just take this risk for you without compensation."

He sips from his tea, then goes on.

"Tell you what - maybe I can do some other small things to help. I have a few traps and snares I'll let you have for free if you want? Also, I know you're no archer, but if you bring me some good, supple leather, maybe I can make you a nice sling?"

(survival skill will allow you to set snares in the right spots and hide them from view)

Techwarrior
2014-04-03, 11:08 PM
That's about what I expected from a rogue-style campaign. I've got to use guile to succeed, and I have to be incredibly careful. I honestly didn't expect to come out of this conversation with another companion, but I knew it would be something she would try, and it's something that gives me valuable information on what's going on in the world.

Erica frowns slightly. She's not really disappointed, but she had hoped to convince him.

"I can understand your sentiments Thuillen. Thank you for the offer, what exactly did you have in mind, trap-wise? I don't have any good leather, and I already have a sling of my own, but I'm not the greatest craftswoman. If I could scrape together some gold and such, could I pay your price partially now and give you the rest when I can get my hands on it?"

OOC: I'm considering offering him my Scroll of Cure Light Wounds as partial payment, but can Erika think of anything that she can do in town to gather some more cash to pay his price?

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-04, 04:26 AM
OOC: Steal it would be an option. There are a few shop owners who would have that sort of gold saved up - from a long life of hard work, their pension so to speak. The Temple might have that much, if not in cash, then in altar silver. Otherwise, you really have no idea.

Techwarrior
2014-04-04, 06:26 AM
OOC: I know normally, I would be the one donating to the church. How much/likely would the church be willing to 'give back' to Erica?

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-04, 07:34 PM
You know Brother Cassius well enough to have the impression he's a very prudent, very careful man when it comes to managing the wealth that comes into his hands in the temple. On the other hand, you know he has given to many worthy causes - but never any extravagant amounts. In a similar vein, the temple is a modest building, smaller and less furnished than one might expect of such a decent size town.

The only way to really guage his willingness to help is to go ask him. OOC, tho, the same level of difficulty applies =)

Techwarrior
2014-04-04, 07:46 PM
OOC: I've asked In Character, but would Thuillen be willing to allow me to pay partially now, and the rest later?

"Thank you for the tea Thuillen, and for your offer. I might come back later to discuss things more with you. If I don't, I wish you luck in surviving the trials ahead of you. I'm hoping to speak to the rest of the town as a whole, if you could gather your friends and family, I intend to offer the whole town a way out. If you think you have your own way out or to survive though, then good luck to you."

Erica gives a slight bow, and shows herself out. She's going to head towards the church, and seek an audience in private with the Brother. She's also going to be very careful about looking for more ambushes.

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-06, 06:31 AM
The temple is a central structure in town - placed on the main across from town hall, and amongst the various guild halls and merchant houses. It's a large wooden building, but like I said, it's relatively modestly furnished. Helgen isn't a particularly religious society, but there's nothing quite like the End Times to remind people of their faith. The temple is quite packed with townsfolk praying for protection. Also, a small contingent of armed men seem to have been deputised into the city guard. Hardly the fittest not the youngest, and poorly armed, they still seem quite serious about protecting the gathered people.

Going calmly about his business among the crowds, Brother Cassius seems to be drawing things on the floor, and building something or other on the altar. He has an old book slung under one arm, and seems deep in thought and concentration. He doesn't notice your arrival.

Techwarrior
2014-04-06, 02:34 PM
Erica looks at the seemingly obvious ritual the Brother is performing, attempting to figure out it's purpose.
That sounds like a summoning circle to me. [roll0] If that's not good enough, I'd like to take 20, but I don't know if that'd be appropriate.

After she's figured out what she can about the circle and altar, she attempts to find a moment where she can interrupt the Brother without disturbing his work.

"Brother Cassius, it has been too long. I apologize for my most recent lapse in attendance. Is there anything I can do to help with this?"

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-06, 06:23 PM
Brother Cassius, as far as you know, is not any sort of super advanced caster - regardless, what he's doing here is way beyond your ability to decipher. There is some abjuration here, there is some summoning, there are some holy wards and some light and some good. If you had to guess, this is some sort of defense for the temple, and it's something Cassius is doing from an instruction, not something he's casting on his own.

You rolled well, so you get sort of a lot of info despite not basically having any idea.

Brother Cassius mumbles on for a moment, then snaps out of it, and focuses on you.

"Erica! So good to see you - seems a lot of the faithful are here today." A speculative expression passes over his face.

"Help, you say." He ponders, "Look, Erica, I really can't ask this of you - but there is a thing I'd like to do that would help my work here. But it's dangerous - so very dangerous. I just ... don't know ..."

(more tomorrow - tired, and need sleep)

Techwarrior
2014-04-07, 04:55 AM
"There is a saying amongst the peoples of the Talenta Plains. 'Judge not the man you do not know.' What is it you would ask Brother. Perhaps I can do this thing for you, and you can, in turn, help me."

OOC: Take your time.

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-07, 06:24 AM
After a moment to gather his thoughts, Brother Cassius explains:

"The word Helgen means saint in the old tongue. While our fair town is not particularly ancient, there has been a religious site here for ages, and always a small settlement around it. Later, when trade also increased upon the river, the town grew.

But the reason this was a religious site has to do with Anton den Hellige, as he was called in his day - today, his name would be Antoun the Saintly. He was born here, in this place, 541 years ago, and lived a life of holy works and good deeds until his death. He was interred where he lived out his life - right here in the town that was later named for him.

He rests now in the deep crypts beneath this temple. And a certain item is rumored to have been buried with him, a simple wooden holy symbol that was rumored to shield him from harm.

Now, this is important because the only real harm to ever threaten Anton was the Shade of Űlhamac - a remnant of the previous reign of the Crypt Lords - and legend tells how Anton was able to stand unharmed among the masses of blight crawlers the Shade brought with it. With such an item, I could greatly increase the effectiveness of these wards.

But ... and this is the important part ... the deepest levels of the crypt haven't been safe for many years. There are scavengers down there, disgusting crawling things that can subsist on bones, but feast on fresh meat when they can get it. We've tried to cleanse it at times, but always unsuccesfully and at great cost.

If you can succeed where we have failed, that would be a great help, but I truly do not recommend it."

As he speaks, Brother Cassius' hands wander nervously across the covers of his holy book. Clearly this prospect does not much appeal to him - tho the motivation is strong, he's afraid of the risks involved.

Techwarrior
2014-04-08, 03:45 AM
Erica smiles briefly before replying. Hopefully she can set this Brother's mind at ease.

"Do you have any idea what manner of creature it is that is down there? I would be willing to attempt to do this to you as a favor, but I need to know everything I can before I even attempt to go down there. Also, do you think you could find anyone that might be willing to come along with me? I'm willing to go alone, but help is always nice."

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-08, 03:03 PM
"There is precious little I know about them. they are not undead, for my powers do not affect them as such. They are not individually dangerous, but attack is swarms. Nor are they truly natural or alive. I do know they shun the light and fear fire.

I cannot spare any defenders from the temple - we're woefully few as it is, and to be frank they have more will to fight than actual ability."

His brow wrinkles with worry and apologetic concern.

Techwarrior
2014-04-08, 06:20 PM
Erica ponders things over.

"Alright... do you have any oil, alchemist's fire, alchemical acid, torches, or weak divine spell scrolls I could borrow when I go down there? I'll return anything I don't have to use to get the holy symbol. My current plan is to use fire and acid as weapons against them. Most swarms of creatures don't really like such tactics. If you could gather some people willing to build fires down there, we might even be able to set up some protections and limit their mobility, or at least make it unpleasant for the creatures to go through the flames."

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-09, 05:02 AM
Brother Cassius describes to the best of his ability what little he has seen and knows of the creatures in the lowest crypt.

They are foul-smelling creatures, somehow slimy or greasy. They vary in size and shape. And they are neither truly alive nor undead. Spells against vermin have been tried, as have spells against the undead. Neither works. They cannot be turned, they do not react to holy water.

They do dislike fire, and bright light - and they have at no point ventured into the upper level of the crypt, which is brightly lit. He is slightly unsure if that is the reason, but they might simply have enough to sustain them in the darkness below.

He does a mental inventory of the temple, trying to think of things that might help you. He has a fair amount of supplies for the townsfolk who have gathered here - among them some common lamp oil, bandages and so on, along with food and water.

He also has a couple of scrolls of simple healing magics. After some wringing of hands and mumbling about how he actually penned them for the few defenders the temple has, he offers you one of those too.

Finally, he indicates a small alcove behind the alter, where a stout door leads to a stone staircase that leads to the crypts.

Your first side quest! Bring the dog =)

Techwarrior
2014-04-09, 07:47 PM
Erica was sure to point out that, as she was going to brave the tomb for his flock, she could be considered a defender of the temple as well.

After hearing him out, she bows to him graciously and thanks him once again.

"Thank you. Could you have someone gather these for me, and put them in a rucksack or something for me to carry? I have to get a few things, and I'm sure Spike would love to come with me. See if there are any volunteer fire-builders for me to will you? I'll be back in about an hour or so."

And with that, she heads back home, careful to avoid confrontation. However, while she heads home, she looks for Eber.

Edit:
I had completely planned on it. :smallsmile: Wouldn't do for a ranger to head into battle without their animal friend.

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-10, 03:13 AM
Interesting. I'll just do a bunch of rolls. None of them terribly likely, but lets just see.

Scenario A (the less attractive one (to someone - could be to me, or to you, or to Eber, or ...), chance 10 of 100: [roll0]
If the above fails, then Scenario B (which is the more attractive one - to someone): chance 15 of 100: [roll1]
If the second one succeeds, your chance of finding Eber is 15 of 100: [roll2]
If the first one succeeds, your chance of finding something is also 15 of 100: [roll3]
And if all fails, your chance of finding Eber is 10 of 100: [roll4]

Lets just see how that pans out. Behind the scenes stuff here.

On your way home to fetch Spike the dog, you look for Eber. He turns out not to be around anywhere.

Brother Cassius looks like he's happy enough with not building fires - since it's never been a problem before, why should it become one now? But he reluctantly sends a couple of guards down to start building fires, just in case. He makes sure they remain unlit tho - cause wood is also a ressource to be used wisely.

Since they all fail, they indicate nothing too important. But the world moves, also when you're not looking. Just, in this case it moved in somewhat uninteresting ways.

Techwarrior
2014-04-10, 03:24 AM
I'm finding the long list of 'failed' rolls... something. Not sure if terrified or intrigued.

Can I get a more comprehensive list of the stuff Brother Cassius let me borrow?

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-10, 05:06 AM
Basic healing supplies in whatever quantity you require (within reason)
Oil, up to say a gallon
A scroll of cure light wounds
As many torches as you want (within reason)

Techwarrior
2014-04-10, 06:07 AM
Erica wants to acquire a set of saddlebags for Spike before this trip down, is that even a thing that is possible?

Erica will take 1 torch for herself, 1 pint of oil, and the scroll. These have been listed on her sheet as borrowed.

Erica wants the guards to take as many torches and vials of oil as they can carry with their guard equipment (what would that be?) and still stay under a light load.

If Erica can find/make saddlebags, she'll stuff them full of torches and oil and have Spike carry them.

If Erica can't get saddlebags, she'll leave her sling, bullets, and waterskin with Brother Cassius. If she can get saddlebags, they'll be tossed into the saddlebags with the torches and oil.

Erica will descend into the tomb, carrying her shield and a boomerang at the ready. Spike has been given the 'heel' command, and the guards have been told to follow at a distance of 30 feet whenever possible. Erica will advance slowly and carefully, putting her stealth skills to good use.

Effectively, she's moving taking one move action to move 15 feet (and thus no penalty on Move Silently, which she takes 10 on for 17, Spike's is 13) per round and keep an action readied.

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-10, 11:14 AM
The riding of dogs isn't really a thing I hold with - I believe they don't really have the spines for it. Not that they can't carry stuff, but the harness for it isn't something that's in general trade. Lute the Tanner could most likely help craft something of the sort, but not on really short notice.

Mounts for halflings in this world tend to be entirely different manner of beasts - you mustn't expect much of the stock fantasy from me. In the far eastern swamplands of the Zhunt, halfling sorcerers ride giant dragon flies into battle, and in the jungles of the southern continent of Veil, halfling hunters wielding blowguns ride serpents among the treetops - and great apes on the ground (well, in the trees too).

This of course is unknowable to you as a player, since I've made no introduction of this world.

Moving on, the guards have a shield and some sort of leather-equivalent armor, and a weapon that's most likely a repurposed farming implement. They are bottom-rung cannon fodder, frankly.

You have like .... a gallon of oil and 20 torches. The guards have more. You'll be fine for supplies.

You descend the stairs down into the upper level of the crypt.

To your utter surprise, the place is beautiful. It is well lit - there are some securely mounted everburning torches, and carefully tended braziers and lanterns in other places.

The crypt is one long room, with corridors branching off left and right, holding the final resting places of hundreds of people. There are religious icons, shrines and altars, and the place has a serene, peaceful feel to it. It's most striking feature is a small construction of seemingly transparent stones - one at either end of the crypt - lit from within. It is quite stunning and a complete surprise in this place. The transparent stones are of various hues, and placed in a simple mosaic, and they throw a serene and divine-seeming light across the walls and ceiling.

You proceed carefully through the crypt - the stairs to the lower level are beyond the far 'transparent stone' thingy - but all is peaceful here.

The guards prepare to build their fire in the arch of the furthest of the constructions.

Constructions may be a poor word. Each consists of a little shrine, with an arch, to either side of which are alcoves with everburning torches within.

You may explore - or move further down.

Techwarrior
2014-04-10, 03:34 PM
Erica was in awe of the entire place, but did her best to keep it to herself.

"Come down with me. We definitely don't want to ruin this beauty with fire and smoke. We can build the fire at the first intersection downstairs. Gives me the most amount of options while you stay back to tend the blaze."

Erica gets one last good look at the beautiful scene, and then descends into the lower level.

No wonder he didn't like the thought of fire being used down here. It's freaking gorgeous.

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-10, 06:16 PM
You pass through the first level of the crypt. The soft light throws golden reflections and half-shadows across carefully kept resting places of ... frankly you don't know who. There is marble, and granite, and some silver down here. The whole place seems somehow sacrosanct and safe from outside harm.

You pass through the shrine at the far end, marvelling once more at the clever play of light, and the strange transparent stones.

Past that, a staircase descends into darkness. Beyond the arch, there are no more lamps. The floor is ancient cobbles, the walls hewn and crumbling rock, and roots are forcing their way through, spraying a layer of earth and dust everywhere.

The pleasant feeling of being in a safe and holy place evaporates. The guards, never the bravest of men, are suddenly fearful. The darkness closes in, and the light of your torches seems feeble against it, illuminating just a few yards ahead.

As the stair winds, the guards lose heart. They conclude that building a fire at the first landing on the stairs will actually be the best solution. They will not light it now though - not until they see an actual threat.

How do you proceed?

Techwarrior
2014-04-11, 12:59 AM
"Keep this landing safe for my return. I will return shortly. Spike, come!"

Erica goes over the directions Cassius gave her to Anton's tomb. Then she shifts her bullseye lantern into her shield hand, and unlimbers and lights a torch.

"Sniff em out boy."

Erica descends into the crypt, following Cassius's directions as best as she could, using the torch to mark the walls so she knows where she has already been.

Erica has Hide +10, Move Silently +7, Spot +6, and Listen +8.
Spike has Hide +2, Move Silently +3, Spot +3, Listen +3, Low-Light Vision, and Scent.

A torch provides 'clear illumination' in 20 foot radius and 'shadowy illumination,' in a 40 foot radius, and lasts for 1 hour.
A bullseye lantern provides 'clear illumination' in a 60 foot cone, and 'shadowy illumination' in a 120 foot cone.

Erica (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=832404)
Spike (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=855621)

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-11, 04:07 AM
The lower level of the crypt is entirely the opposite of the upper level. It occurs to you that this lower crypt may simply have been built by another religion - one with less positive ideas about the afterlife.

You cannot see much - I wasn't kidding about the weak light - but this level seems composed of rows of pillars, 2x2 meters, stacked with shelves upon which the dead rest. There are few coffins here, most are in burial shrouds.

In the feeble light, you can see a couple pillars to either side. Crazy shadows dance, and a gloomy darkness prevails. There are sounds in the darkness. They are not pleasant sounds. Skitterings, and a sound somewhat like chalk being ground down. (listen roll dc 15 to get a better idea)

The graves - specifically the bones - have been disturbed, mostly on the lower shelves.

You have no clue to the size of this room. You peer into the darkness, and can barely make out the third row of pillars - less than 10 meters away. The beam of your bulls eye lantern shines a bit further, but the details seem blurred or shadowy or ... (roll spot dc 16 for at least a few tidbits of info)

Spike snifs the air, and gives a low, angry growl in warning. His hackles rise all the way down to his tail.

This is not a good place.

Techwarrior
2014-04-11, 07:50 AM
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Can Erica tell how recently the disturbance was without going in closer?

Erica readies an action.

Erica refuses to let the creepy crawling darkness get to her. She definitely takes heed of Spikes warning, but tries to remain dauntless.

"It's ok boy. We're going to be ok."

As she edges around the room, she tries to keep Spike just behind her, and the wall on her side, with a 'clear' view of the room inside. Every ten or twenty feet, she marks the wall with her torch.

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-11, 10:00 AM
Trying to hold the beam of your bulls eye lantern steady, at the very limits of it's range you seem to make out a sort of central area - free of the pillars, and some sort of ... alter, table, dias, you cannot tell.

The disturbance of the bones seems to be on-going. Both new and old.

You move along the wall, going to the left of the entrance, with Spike beside you.

Had you been moving in the dark, you might have come upon them stealthily. As it is, the light gives you away. You catch a glimpse of several ... 'creatures' rummaging among a pile of old bones. They are various shapes and sizes, and if you'd have to guess you'd say they're not the same species - you think one might be a rat (the size of a small dog), another seems to be a cat. However, they all share a common trait: They seem partially rotting or decomposed, and are covered in a film or sheen, a greasy looking viscous layer of ... something.

Also, you catch a horrible smell wafting off them.

As the light touches them, they scurry off into the dark and around the pillars. By the sound of it, they are trying to flank you.

Also, you can get off a shot if you want. And initiative might be an idea.

Hide: [roll1]
Move silently: [roll2]

Techwarrior
2014-04-12, 03:16 AM
Erica drops her torch, hoping the flames will keep the creatures at bay. Without a weapon in hand though, it's difficult for her to take the advantage.

D'arvit! Erica, you know better than to do this to yourself.

She fumbles around with her boomerang for a moment and throws it at the nearest enemy. If she had to whittle them down bit by bit she would.

Erica:
Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]

Free: Drop item (her torch). Aiming it away from the wall. (She can toss it one square adjacent to her)
Move: Draw her boomerang
Free: 5 ft. Step to nearest corner of the room.
Standard: Attack (with boomerang). Aiming for the nearest enemy.
Attack [roll3]
Crit Confirm [roll4] (20 only, double damage)
Damage [roll5]
Catch [roll6] DC 10

If by the time Erica has taken those actions there aren't any enemies to attack she can see, then Erica will combine her drawing a weapon with a move towards the nearest corner of the room (30 foot move), and use her Standard to Ready that boomerang attack.

Spike:
Initiative: [roll7]
Spot: [roll8]
Listen: [roll9]

Erica has Favored Enemy (Undead) +2, in case it comes up.

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-12, 07:57 PM
[SPOILER=Equipment]Erica will descend into the tomb, carrying her shield and a boomerang at the ready.

Seems to me you have another move action.

Techwarrior
2014-04-12, 08:14 PM
Ah, in that case, after she catches her boomerang, Erica will move towards the nearest corner of the room.

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-15, 02:54 AM
You throw the boomerang, and it misses by the barest margin (actually, to be completely exact, it hits without doing any damage, the hit being absorbed by natural armor). As you catch it, you prepare to move off towards the nearest corner - only to realise you don't know how far in either direction that might be.

It is 30 move back to the stair case - but currently, you cannot see the corner at which this wall must (presumably) end.

Techwarrior
2014-04-15, 03:30 AM
Gah, this might be more difficult than I was willing to give credit for.

Erica shakes her head to herself as she moves back to the stairs and waits for the inevitable return of the creatures.

Erica takes the 30 ft move to the staircase, leaving a burning torch on the ground where she was. Erica and Spike position themselves such that one of them is at the landing of the stairs, and the other is one side, preventing any enemies from flanking either of them.

If/when it gets to be Erica's turn again, if no enemies have moved into sight, she Readies an attack with her boomerang against any approaching monsters. If she is currently engaged in melee by the time it gets to be her initiative again, she will attack with her Spiked Shield (keeping the AC due to having Improved Shield Bash) instead.

Attack [roll0] +1 if it's the shield.
Crit Confirm [roll1] +1 if it's the shield.
Damage [roll2]
Catch (DC 10) [roll3]

If the enemy has moved into melee with Spike by Erica's initiative, Erica will use her move action to Handle Spike, specifically giving the Attack command.
Handle Animal (DC 10) [roll4]

Attack [roll5]
Crit Confirm [roll6]
Damage [roll7]
Trip Attempt [roll8]

If the enemy has not moved into melee range at all, Erica makes an Active Spot check with her move action.
Spot [roll9]

Erica's shield hand carries her bullseye lantern still.

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-15, 04:44 AM
Those are terrible rolls =)

Here's what happens:

Erica realises the room is larger than she initially thought. With enemies moving in, and no safe spot to fight, she decides to move back to the stairs. On that narrow staircase, she cannot be flanked.

However, she has been moving slowly along the wall, her eyes and ears focussed on the room and the wall ahead of her. As she reaches the opening that leads to the staircase, she realises she's too late. As the light of her lantern spills through the doorway, it illuminates a creature so disgusting, Erica actually feels her guts move in protest at the sight.

It is almost man-sized - but rather than being a single, warped creature like the cats and rats she just saw, several creatures seem to have melded together. There is a dog in there, several small rodents, and other stuff too - birds, mice. It is a vaguely canine, conglomerate shape. Ooze is dripping from it, and as Erica first spots it, it's 'sniffing' around the base of the stairs. It whirls at the light, but Erica gets off the first attack. Erica misses, but Spike sinks his teeth into the revolting mass of rotting, diseased flesh.

At which point the creature strikes back. It's canine maw is not restricted by the usual limitations of the flesh, and it rips wide open as the jaws unhinge - then snap shut fiercely.

First off, spike gets to try and trip the thing. However, the thing gets +4 for having 4 legs, and +1 for strength. Still: [roll0]

Then, it's attack roll. It goes for Spike, since it's hardly intelligent, and Spike hit while you did not:
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Should the thing roll a 1 on it's trip resist, it will still attack - but at -2.

Erica hears many small forms rushing and rustling across the floor behind her. The smaller critters will be here soon.

Techwarrior
2014-04-15, 10:42 AM
Bloody hell. I have got to keep better track of things. Making myself look a damn novice again.

Erica considers calling for help from the guards upstairs, but she's pretty sure she can finish this creature on her own, and she definitely doesn't need them mocking her. After that, the smaller ones shouldn't be too bad. Erica continues her onslaught, cursing herself for her own hurry before. Luckily, Spike hadn't been hit by the strange creature, she did not want to even imagine the filthy diseases that this thing carried.

Erica moves into a flanking position, assuming he's not standing in the doorway, but is actually in a position to be flank-able. My to-hit rolls assume she can't though.

Erica:
Shield Bash [roll0]
Crit Confirm [roll1]
Damage [roll2] Piercing

Spike:
Bite [roll3]
Crit Confirm [roll4]
Damage [roll5] Piercing, Slashing, and Bludgeoning
Trip [roll6]

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-16, 02:16 AM
Flanking is sadly not an option - not unless you feel like moving past the larger beast to achieve it. Getting flanked, however, is.

The beasties have initiative on you, and move in to attack - the large one in front, the smaller ones from behind. There are five of the smaller ones, but only room for four of them to attack.

Large beast:
Attack: [roll0]

Smaller ones:
Attack: [roll2]
Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]
Attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]
Attack: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]

I might have given them a charge bonus too - but I deem that scurrying around in the darkness doesn't really count as a massed charge.

EDIT: Hahah! That's so pathetic. I was actually worried I might kill you - but not like this, I wont.

It's a furious assault - but Ericas agility and armor take care of all except for one attack. A single ratlike creature sinks it's teeth into her foot, searing pain shooting up her leg. Otherwise, she is unscathed.

Edit2: Wait a minute! Does that one even hit?! She has her shield in hand now, right? Well, forget everything then. All the attacks miss.

Techwarrior
2014-04-16, 07:53 AM
Does the large creature fall, whether through tripping or HP damage? Spike gets a free trip on every bite attack that lands , and he should have landed it last round just like the round before (check was 9). Damage total of all three attacks that have hit it is 14.

Also, what gods are we using, if any. I've got Erica down as worshipping the Silver FlameEbberon, but didn't know if you had your own pantheon or somesuch.

Third. Are the smaller creatures Small size?

Dear gods! Blessed be the Flame, for otherwise I must surely fall.

Erica's fast feet, light armor, and shield training seems to have payed off as the enemies blows all find nothing but air or glance off of her. She renews her assault, hoping they don't turn to Spike next. She'd have a hard time getting a spell off with them all around her. She also keeps her eye out for any newcomers to this little gathering.

Armor. He needs a set of barding. Even some leathers would be good for him. I'll have to get it commissioned, but it'll be worth it.

Unless the big one goes unconscious or dies, both attacks are against it. If he was tripped last round, his AC should drop by 4 for being prone.

Erica:
Standard: Attack
Shield Bash [roll0]
Crit Confirm [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Move: Active Spot
[roll3]

Spike:
Standard: Attack
Bite [roll4]
Crit Confirm [roll5]
Damage [roll6]

Techwarrior
2014-04-16, 07:54 AM
Forgot Spike's free trip roll.

[roll0]

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-16, 08:42 AM
Spike got his trip attempt on the first round, and I rolled 21 to resist. I also made a not that the thing will attack depite being tripped. It's not as such really tripable, but we'll get to that if and when it becomes relevant. However, it can be unbalanced for a -2 to hit.'

Also, they rolled better initiative than you. So ... as things stand, you post your actions before I post theirs, which is slightly disruptive. I'll try and fix this =)

Erica and Spike tear into the largest of the things, and with a couple of wet, ripping, disgusting noises, they cut it apart. It bursts, as if once the surface was ruptured enough, whatever held it together fails. It's stinking and revolting remains spill everywhere - part of the skeletong of assorted animals, and a pile of rotting entrails and fur and other material best left unconsidered.

That was the result of Erica and Spike's actions on round two.

At the beginning of round three, the remaining smaller creatures (yes, they are size S) attack one more.

Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]
Attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

They are not intelligent, but they have a sort of pack instinct that makes them all attack the same target - 1 for Erica, 2 for Spike.
Target: [roll8]

At this point, your actions for round 3 follow - those you posted above. With wet, squelching noices, you splatter two of the smaller creatures, and the fifth one moves into position to attack.

I'll resolve the above rolls, then edit in actions for round 4.

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-16, 08:46 AM
Actually, I don't think I can add new dice rolls by editing an existing post with dice rolls. Maybe?! Anyways, I will double post instead. Gods forgive me.

Three of the small things remain, and they continue attacking spike to the best of their ability.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Spike is hit once again, and is looking slightly worse for wear. No worries tho - these small ones aren't terribly dangerous, and surely these are the last of them, right?

Your actions for round 4, please =)

Techwarrior
2014-04-16, 09:21 AM
"Nobody hurts my Spike!"

Erica is clearly angry, and probably yelled a little too loudly when she heard Spike's yowl in pain. She is furious now, and her fighting shows it.

Erica:
Shield Bash [roll0]
Crit Confirm [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Spike:
Bite [roll3]
Crit Confirm [roll4]
Damage [roll5]
Trip (unbalance) [roll6]
HP 8/13

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-16, 10:29 AM
Ah, but anger is the enemy of reason. Erica's cries are lost in the empty space between the pillers, in the darkness among the dead. And there a calmer hand might have struck true, both she and Spike miss.

Thus ends round 4, and round 5 begins.

Three little critters remain. Feeble enough individually, but they have nothing resembling fear, and will fight to the very last. They know nothing but the hunger that drives them - and here, right in front of them, is such nice, fresh food.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Another attack hits Spike. In a way, the desperate flailing and biting of the sick, rotten thing is pathetic. In another, it's quite disquieting that this thing is somehow ... alive, for want of a better word.

Techwarrior
2014-04-16, 12:06 PM
Get ahold of yourself Erica... You can't help Spike if you don't kill... whatever these are.

Erica tries her best to silence her rage, and continues the attack, helping make sure Spike remains safe.

Erica:
Shield Bash [roll0]
Crit Confirm [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Active Spot [roll3]

Spike:
Bite [roll4]
Crit Confirm [roll5]
Damage [roll6]
Trip (unbalance) [roll7]
HP 6/13

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-16, 06:28 PM
Erica splatters another one of the small critters, so only two remain. Ever watchful for more enemies, she gazes into the darkness, but nothing seems to stir. As only two critters remain, it would now be possible to step around them and move to flank them.

One ... shall we say ... interesting detail does catch her eye, however. The thick, viscous goo, ooze, liquid or whatever it is that coats these dead animals, seeps into their dissolving organs and drips from their jaws - it seems to be slowly moving, coalescing, pulling together. Very slowly. But still, you're quite convinced. It's doing something it basically shouldn't be.

Round 6 begins.

The last two critters attack again. It's all they know how to do.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Despite their best efforts, they are unable to hit. The fight seems to be almost over.

Techwarrior
2014-04-17, 12:09 AM
Ack! Kill it! Kill it with fire!

The still moving ooze worried Erica greatly, but she could deal with that after all of the things were gone.

Relying on her quick actions, Erica darted around into a flanking position with Spike. These things had to die, now.

Erica:
Move: Move to a flanking position with whatever creature is most injured (or are they one hit wonders?). She'll tank whatever Attacks of Opportunity come her way.
Standard: Attack the creature.
Shield Bash (Spiked) [roll0]
Crit Confirm [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Spike:
Bite [roll3]
Crit Confirm [roll4]
Damage [roll5]
Trip (unbalance) [roll6]

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-17, 02:35 AM
(You can just 5' step around them - no aao's)

Seeing the opportunity arise, Erica and Spike leap into better positions, and their final attacks finish the fight. The little ... whatever they are ... burst into sickening blobs of half-melted remains and stinking goo - and with that, it is over. Silence once more fills the crypt. The strangely brooding darkness seems to be waiting, anticipating.

We're out of combat - your actions please =)

Techwarrior
2014-04-17, 03:00 AM
It's going to be alright Spike. I'll take care of you... The bad monsters are gone now."

Erica reaches out to Spike and speaks calmly as she focuses healing energies into the wolf, knitting it's injuries back together. Then, with a slight sigh, Erica goes back to get her torch and then carefully begins to explore the rest of the room.

"Heel Spike."

Least Dragonmark: Cure Light Wounds [roll0] added to Spike's 6 current hp, max 13.

Erica will carefully go over the room, looking for anything strange or out of the ordinary.

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-17, 04:28 AM
That sounds to me like a search roll.

Also, just to be sure - how are you going about the room? Along the wall, again?

Techwarrior
2014-04-17, 04:00 PM
Yes. First, she torches the weird goo stuff, and then goes back to her previous method of along the wall, marking the wall with her torch every ten or twenty feet. Then, she visits the center of the room.

I'll take 10 if possible, for a total of 15. Let me know if I see anything extra suspicious, because I would like to take 20 on those things, like whatever that weird dais thing in the center winds up being.

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-18, 02:24 AM
On my phone again.

The room is huge, and must have taken ages to escavate. You move 150 to your left before finding the corner. Making it 300x300 all told. This being a crypt, there are of course quite a large number of graves down here. Well over 10000 in fact. The dead of long, long ages.

You find a section of graves that are all undisturbed. You find that the dead in this section have all been buried with a small pile of salt - possibly some ancient religious ritual or tradition.

There are various points of interest around the room. In one place, you find a whole section where battle clad orcs have been buried. In another, you discover the burial shelves have been walled shut for some reason. Finally, in the wall opposite the entry, you find a tunnel.

We'll get to the central dias in a sec. I'd like a knowledge nature, survival or similar roll please :-)

Techwarrior
2014-04-18, 02:42 AM
Survival: [roll0]
Untrained Knowledge: Nature [roll1]

Spike:
[roll2] +4 more if following tracks.

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-18, 03:29 AM
No rolls?! Or is my phone not showing anything?

Techwarrior
2014-04-18, 03:53 AM
No rolls?! Or is my phone not showing anything?

The second one. Survival 10, Knowledge 19, Spikes survival 7

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-19, 04:59 AM
Bloody phone!

Regardless. Your knowledge of all things nature tell you that this tunnel has the size and clawmarks that you'd expect from a dire badger. As it happens - and as has been previously mentioned - you yourself took part in putting an end to a dire badger infestation below the town some 3-4 years back.

If you had to guess, you'd say a wounded animal back then managed to dig its way into the crypt. What became of it then you can only guess.

At any rate, this tunnel connects to the dire badger tunnels, and those tunnels provide a possible exit from town. This might eventually come in handy. Who knows.

You have toured halfway around the chamber. You've found some unusual details, but nothing too mind staggering. You can chose to continue the rest of the way around - or you can approach the central area.

Techwarrior
2014-04-19, 03:19 PM
Erica lights a torch, and then leaves it at the foot of the tunnel.

Hopefully that won't upset whatever's down there. Dire Badgers aren't something I'd like to have to deal with. I definitely need to mark the entrances though.

Erica will finish her circle around the room before coming near the central area. Once she gets back to the original entrance, she will leave a lit torch there as well.

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-20, 06:44 AM
So Erica makes her way all around the room, marking points of interest with tiny islands of light. Going around the last half of the room, she finds ... something. A couple of pillars have been torn down, converted to piles of rubble, tumbled stones and broken bones piled together to form ... something? It's almost like a nest, and peering inside it, Erica spots a number of dead animals: A dog, two cats, some rats and a bird. All of them are decomposing, and thick, viscous smile is covering them. Crawling all over them, almost - though there is only the slowest of motions, like you saw before.

Draw what conclusions you like. Also, actions?

You feel you've coveret the room as well as can be in preparation to going to the center and having a closer look at that area.

Techwarrior
2014-04-20, 10:44 AM
Erica lights a torch and tosses it into the nest, aiming for the slime. Whatever this slime was, it wasn't safe to let it infest the dead, and should be burned violently.

After that, she burns the entire nest.

When Erica burned the slime of the first creatures, did anything unusual happen?

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-21, 03:24 AM
Define unusual. The goo doesn't burn very well, it's hardly volatile - but once it catches, it burns in a smoky, stinky, seethy and bubbly way. Fire clearly kills it. It might be worth noting that ... it is not volatile. That could mean that fire is not a good weapon against it. (that's not a free hand-out - I rolled for you).

When you torch the 'corpses', there are little twitches and sqirmings - one of the cats actually opens it's eyes, and lets out an incredibly pathetic sound. You have to conclude that these animals, at this point, are still alive, even if just very, very barely. You conclude that, most likely, the 'infection' needs a creature that's still alive to start growing.

At this thought, you shoot a worried glance at Spike.

You torch the nest too.

And then, all that remains here is to get to the raised platform at the center of the crypt. Any preparations?

Techwarrior
2014-04-21, 09:51 PM
Erica gives the Stay command to Spike, hoping he doesn't develop anything like those creatures.

Erica first looks the place over for any obvious magical runes, etchings, or other such scripts or symbols that might denote a trap. Then she begins searching the platform for mechanical traps, pressure plates, and the like.

She takes 20 on Search for 25 to find any traps that might be rigging this platform. Assuming she finds none, she steps onto the platform and looks to see what's up there.

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-22, 05:08 AM
Um ... I'll just start a few steps earlier.

As you approach the platform, the light finally penetrates the darkness to reveal it fully. It is circular, stepped all around, and three steps tall - making it about level with Erica's head. It's every surface is carved and engraved with scenes from the life of the saint buried here - Anton. Most of these show peaceful scenes from a peaceful life, doing the work of god and helping out the community.

The community for which Anton was the shepherd precedes the town of Helgen by centuries. Presumably, that community did not build this particular grave site - that would have been beyond the means and abilities of those people. It seems more likely this was built later.

Upon the platform rests a sarcophagus - a huge thing hewn from stone and carved with holy symbols and wards against evil. The lid has been pushed aside, and lies broken on the platform beside the sarcophagus. There seems to be a sheen or glistening coating across the upper edges of the sarcophagus.

All is still, and quiet. The smell you've noticed from the beasties seem to hang here.

I wonder if I should start referring to these things as slimes rather than beasties. That is what they are, but I'm unsure how much of their nature you've deduced yet. You do seem to have missed at least one subtle hint =)

You find no traps. The platform is a memorial, and though you know Anton was buried with his holy symbol, apparently it was not deemed valuable enough in it's day to warrant an array of death traps to ward off looters or grave robbers. There is no ornamentation here except for stone carvings.

Techwarrior
2014-04-22, 08:17 AM
They have a combination of -1 to hit and -1 damage as Small creatures. This suggests no BAB (thus, less than 2 HD and no Type that gives Fighter BAB) and a low Str score.
The things have natural armor.
They probably do not have darkvision, as it was suggested that the creatures would have had a much harder time finding me without light.
They are not affected by Favored Enemy: Undead, Turn Undead, or spells affecting Vermin.
They went down in 1 hit each, so are probably partial hit dice creatures, or have crap for Con or hit dice.
They dissolve into thick, fire-retardant, viscous slime.

Ooze type already honestly fit this the best. I'm guessing as some sort of infection that animates it's host. Similar to a Hellwasp Swarm.

Erica takes a few torches and makes a make makeshift fire off of the steps. Then Erica draws her sickle and carefully uses it to remove the slime from the entire structure and burns it off of her sickle. She shivers to herself and grasps at her holy symbol for reassurance, and constantly looks over at Spike worried he's going to start doing Whatever in the Hells that was

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-23, 05:31 AM
It is old. Old enough that measuring it in terms of time becomes meaningless. Perhaps never really being alive is what has kept it from ever truly dying. It was there, an unwanted guest, when the first creatures crawled onto land. It would grow, and absorb, and eventually cast aside it's reluctant host.

The oceans hemmed it in, but on land it's reign was free. It grew, and it multiplied, and it spread. It was apex - always hunter, never prey.

Then came man. With numbers, with spears, with fire. With intelligence. It did not care. Had no capacity to care, no capacity to learn or adapt to anything outside itself. Inside was different. It did not realise that where it had been many, now it was fewer. It did not realise when it was the last.

And then one day, there were none. Defeated, what little remained of it sank into the earth. And there, it waited.

Ages passed, and creatures burrowed into the earth. Men came to drive out the creatures, which were pests to them. There was blodshed, and a fallen creature slumped dying on top of it. It's blood seeped into the earth, and awakened it. By that ancient alchemy of chance and chemistry, it entered the creature. Having no life of it's own, it needed the life of the dying creature.

It sent it's message, along it's bloodstream, into it's small brain. LIVE, it said. LIVE ON A LITTLE LONGER. It spoke with great force - it spoke with the will of a predator that had survived since the very dawn of time.

The creature opened it's eyes. It's ragged, dying body shuddered back to life, rose to it's feet unsteadily. It crawled as best it could. There was pain, great pain and little else - but the chemical command could not be denied.

Erica builds a small fire, using a few torches, a few scraps of wood and maybe a couple of nice, dry bones. She starts cleaning off the platform - thinking herself safe, her only worry is for her companion, Spike. There are no more, she tells herself. They are gone. I've torched their nest, and surely if there were any more, some nurturing instinct would have brought them then.

No, I'm safe.

She grasps her holy symbol, whispers a short prayer, and starts scraping the infectious goo off the platform.

Though it has no senses, it feels the intrusion into it's lair. Prey has come. But it has little need for prey right now. The other it's that are also it need to feed, to grow. They can have the prey. This it is busy. Has been busy for a while - since it grew strong enough to push aside the lid atop this stone thing that it is in. It has found something here, and it has seeped inside it. It is dead, yes, but it is preserved. There is stuff here for it to feed on, to learn from. To absorb into itself, to grow and to learn.

This is something new to it. For want of a better term, it is exited.

It is oblivious to the prey killing off it's lesser selves, it's new shoots. But it senses the prey come to it, to where it rests within the stone. It takes a little while to gather itself - to mould itself into this new shape, to integrate what it has found. Meanwhile, the prey builds a fire. Foul and hated thing, the harbinger of it's few and infrequent defeats. But it knows, now. It has the fire all figured out.

It cannot be considered agile, no more than you would consider water or wind agile - despite all their fluid grace and speed. As it hurls itself over the lip of the stone coffin, it flows unencumbered by bones and ligaments.

With a sudden and unexpected burst of speed and movement, something leaps from the stone coffin atop the platform.

It is not another poor, tortured animal infected by some unknown disease or substance. This is the pure, mature version of the creature: It has discarded all that it cannot use, and kept only what it could integrate into it's form. It is a giant glop of formless goo, but inside it float the great jaws of a dire badger. Something else, too. Unmistakably, Erica recognizes inside it the skull and partial spine and torso of a mummified human being.

It attacks without hesitation, mindful of keeping just enough distance to your fire.

Attack: [roll0] vs flat footed (no shield)

Initiative for round 1: [roll2]

EDIT: Those rolls! Ha! =)
Also, I've done the rolls wrong. It actually has +6 to hit, total - but it's still a miss. Now if only it had the range for a charge, that'd have done it.

From it's maw issues a strange, hissing noise (all the other creatures have been completely silent). Initially, you thing it meaningless - but then, to your complete dismay, you realise it's trying to form a word, despite it's lack of the proper apparatus for the task.

'... prraayyy?' it asks.

'.... PRRAAAYYYYY?'

Techwarrior
2014-04-23, 07:24 AM
Flat Footed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#flatFooted) normally does not remove shield bonuses to AC.

Erica curses loudly internally. However the hell she managed to keep herself from thinking that the creatures were gone, she was wrong.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, and now I might wind up paying the price for assuming...

Erica has to make several decisions really quickly, or this thing could quite easily kill her. She drops her sickle, hoping that she doesn't have cause to regret that later, and then ducks around and away from the strange ooze creature, moving back to her fire so that it is between her and Spike, and the creature. Then she kicks at the fire, spreading it as much as she can.

Initiative [roll0]
Free: Drop item (Sickle)
Full-Round: Double move (Withdraw)
Her first move action should be able to put her into a position with the fire between her and the slime. While she takes that movement she'll draw a vial of acid.
Her second move action she will combine the manipulate an item action with the drop an item action. She's trying to spread the fire into two squares. (Assuming that you'll allow that)

Spike should be away from the dais, but near the fire. Hopefully on this side as well. (Can't wait till 4th when I can Handle as a free action) Assuming she can spread the fire, she'll definitely place the two squares such that it interferes with a charge from the slime on her and Spike.

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-23, 07:30 AM
I got the impression that you put away your shield. It's immaterial for this round - the thing missed regardless - but if you are confident Erica had it in hand, then I misunderstood, and you do indeed hold it. I just figured sickle in one hand, holy symbol in the other.

I'll return with a round one post in a little while.

Techwarrior
2014-04-23, 07:36 AM
The holy symbol was more of a fluff thing. She just brushed her hand over it as she thought and then went back to work, and she would have put down her sickle for that way before she put down her shield.

I'll just wait here impatiently. :smallsmile:

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-23, 12:38 PM
Oh, I want to point out: Despite what RAW might have to say about it - you can shout out an order to Spike as a free action. Such as 'attack' or what have you. You might want to do that in round 1. You won initiative and all =)

Techwarrior
2014-04-23, 02:48 PM
As Erica goes about kicking the fire, she calls out to Spike for him to come here.

"Spike. HEEL!"

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-24, 03:25 AM
Alright.

Erica positions herself away from the slime-thing, passing only to place a solid kick against her fire, scattering it across a 10 feet or so. Then she readies a vial of acid, and calls Spike to her.

The slime doesn't stop to consider tactics or positioning. Instead, it flows around the fire without stopping - some of it's mass actually going to either side around - and rushes at Erica and Spike. As it nears, it does not attack, as might have been expected. Instead, it flattens itself against the floor, spreading out meters to every side. Then, it flows past them. Throught their legs, around their feet - and congeals back into shape at the far side.

As it does this, it whips strands of it's gooey mass against their feet, trying to pull them down.

To trip, +3 for str, +4 for size:
Erica: [roll0]
Spike: [roll1]

Also, I equate the slippery movements of the slime to be somewhat equivalent with a tumble. So it gets a roll to avoid AoO's:
'Tumble': [roll2]

Techwarrior
2014-04-24, 04:30 PM
Erica is definitely tripped, with the -4 penalty for Small size, she can't possibly succeed.
Spike is probably tripped, although he might not be (DC 18) [roll0]

Also, if that was Tumbling (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/tumble.htm) through our spaces instead of around us, we both get AoO's since it failed the check, and it's movement ended before entering our squares, otherwise, only one of provoked, since the DC increases by 2 per character.
Erica [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Spike [roll3]
Damage [roll4]
Trip? [roll5]

Erica and Spike try to fight off the slime's strands, and Erica looses track of Spike for a moment as she crashes to the ground. She tries to beat back the thick, clinging slime from her with her shield as she stands up and moves to flank with Spike.

Erica Stands Up, provoking an Attack of Opportunity against her Prone AC of 13, then she throws her Acid flask at the slime, aiming for the center of it's Large form so as to prevent getting hit with the splash damage.

Touch Attack [roll6]
Damage [roll7] Acid
+1 Acid splash damage.

Spike:
Attack [roll8]
Damage [roll9]
Trip? [roll10]

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-26, 05:31 AM
Sorry about delayed reply - work and stuff. Among other things, I needed to read your post a few times before I got what you're saying =D

It was tumbling, but only to avoid AoO's. You cannot exactly stop it's movement - it is not restricted to being in a single square, and if I considered it clever enough to do so, it could .... flank you.

Monsters get special treatment - mostly because I like to catch players off their guard. And 'end of level' monsters get extra special treatment.

The initial rush of their monstrous foe does little to faze Erica and spike. Tho both fall, they get right back on their feet to counter attack - and punishment rains down on the slime-thing. As Erica is getting up, it lashes out - then launches it's own barrage of attacks.

Erica hurls her acid vial against it, and the liquid sizzles and bubbles and burns as it connects. The strange voice of the thing speaks again:

'Pain? Pain. Regrow? No? No.' As you watch, you notice the broken, mumified form inside the slime mouting these same words.

Spike also sinks his teeth into it, tearing out a hunk of blubbery goo.

Attack of Opportunity:
Attack (vs Erica): [roll0]

Normal actions:

Also, I'd like a will save (dc13) from Spike. You may add your ranks in Animal Handling and Wild Empathy to it's roll - and in +2.

After it's attacks, it turns it's attention to the wolf. Were it not an amorphous blob, you could have said that it tilts it's head slightly. Then using that same, disturbing voice, it says:

'SPIKE! HEEL! SPIKE! HEEL! SPIKE! HEEL! SPIKE! HEEL!'

Some part of it is already inside Spike. Coursing through it's blood, trying to control it.

That drops you below zero. It's not quite game over yet - but you'd better succeed that save for Spike. I don't think you've any additional tricks up your sleeve, do you?

Wait a minute!

Ok - disregard the above. I've miscalculated. Luckily, one might say. I have not deducted -1 from it's attack bonus for being large. And since Spike succeeded at trip, it gets another -2. That means it's second attack misses. Which means Erica is still standing. Close shave.

Also, that's a natural 20. Crit confirm roll: Damage: 1d20+5. Even if it scores max damage, however, Erica actually has 10 hp, not 9 as stated on her sheet.

Well hell ... can't add rolls in an edit. Rolling offline then: It's a 10. No crit.

Techwarrior
2014-04-26, 10:49 AM
Erica took the Quick (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#quick) trait, trading 1 HP per level for +10 move speed. I can put that back if you'd like. Since there's confusion though, I feel it only fair to also mention I took the Shaky (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm#shaky) and Murky Eyed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm#murkyEyed) flaws, giving a -2 penalty to ranged attack rolls (which has caused at least one roll to miss already) and making her roll twice and take the worse option for rolls to pierce concealment (which makes travelling at night especially dangerous) to take Weapon Finesse and Improved Shield Bash, making her Light Shield bashing technique actually viable due to her Dex.

Will Save [roll0] +1 Spike's Will, +1 Handle Animal, +1 Wild Empathy. 50/50 chance of success... Not liking that, I do have a few more tricks, but not a lot, and I really don't want to have to use them.

Erica thanks all that is holy for a moment, knowing from experience when something misses because Spike knocked them over. Then, she backs away from this amorphous blob of doom and retrieves a scroll, hoping that Spike can hold off on whatever strange mental control this creature has over it while she fixes the horrific wound the creature gave her. She knew though, that even if Spike responded to that particular command, she would probably have at least one more chance to reassert control.

Free 5 ft. Step out of a threatened area
Move Retrieve spell scroll.
Standard Activate scroll of Cure Light Wounds, healing [roll1] damage of Erica's 7.

The Heel command makes Spike follow closely, but not attack. Spike would have to be given the Attack command, if he would even attack Erica.

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-27, 01:11 PM
The thing has a difficult choice to make. Only, while it has somehow discovered some shred of sentience within it, it's hardly very clever. It could try and get Spike to actually attack Erica, making this very one-sided - or it could try to kill Erica itself, but in doing so ... well, it choses the latter at any rate.

It slithers forward, following Erica, and lashing out with it's adopted jaws, trying to rip out poor Erica's throat.

Meanwhile, with the things attention shifted away from him, Spike tries to clear his mind.

Will save: [roll2] vs. dc 13.

Techwarrior
2014-04-27, 01:40 PM
Erica also has a difficult choice to make. She knows that even one single blow from this creature will take her out of the fight, so she prays that Spike will come back to his simple senses soon, takes out the Brother's scroll, and uses it to heal herself while attempting to dodge the slimes continuous onslaught.

"Spike help! Kill it!"

Same as last round, 5 ft step, retrieve and activate the scroll. [roll0]

I really wish last round had healed more than 2 damn HP. :smallsigh: Being minimum damage from 0 hp isn't exactly healthy with as easy as it is for it to hit Erica's AC.

HP 4 (plus this round's cure)/9

Should I also roll for Spike's actions, or do that next round?

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-27, 02:02 PM
Spike acts on your turn (this one). I just rolled his save because he was quite briefly a GM controlled npc.

Techwarrior
2014-04-27, 02:23 PM
Spike continues to tear into the creature, possibly even animalistically angry about having it's will subjugated for a few brief moments. The creature had made it ignore it's Master, and had even suggested it kill the Master. That could not be let happen or it might try to make it kill Master again.

Attack [roll0]
Edit: Forgot to add the other rolls, but it doesn't look like it would matter.

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-28, 02:15 PM
For better or worse, the fight cannot last much longer. Erica is hurt bad, Spike is wounded, and the monster is also suffering from deep lacerations of it's proto-mass.

It has never known fear before - it has never had the capacity to feel much of anything, know much of anything. But it found something in that coffin, something that has changed it. It knows more now. It knows, among other things, that it needs to end this now, or it might lose. It presses the attack once more, trying to even the odds. Bring down the weaker opponent - the human - then concentrate on controlling the fierce canine.

Regardless of the results, it then uses it's move action to flatten itself and expand across several squares. Blooop!.

No need to roll for confirmation - it's already max damage.

Techwarrior
2014-04-28, 04:27 PM
Actually, last round's healing put her at full health (9/9) so 7 damage only drops her to 2. I'll post on the assumption that the creature does not critical and drop her to negatives.

Erica knows that this intense fight is almost at it's end. She either needs to take the slime down now, or she needs to make a getaway.

I can't abandon Spike. I raised him from a little wolf cub...

And so Erica darts back, drawing her second to last vial of homemade acid. Hopefully, this ends this.

"Spike! Kill it!"

Erica:
Erica takes a five foot step back, and then draws a vial of acid and throws it at one of the blobs of slime, aiming for one that is not adjacent to Spike.

Ranged Touch [roll0]
Damage [roll1] Acid
The attack also deals 1 point of Acid splash damage.

Spike:
Spike attacks one of the blobs, trying to tear it apart.
Bite [roll2]
Damage [roll3]
Tripping Unbalance Thing [roll4]

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-28, 05:15 PM
Hm? Crit is automatic max damage. I don't much hold with the double damage take on crits - especially not in a single player, level 1 game. There is more than enough chance of random death.

Erica takes another grievous wound - again almost dropping from the onslaught of the monster. She decides the only choice is to counter just as hard. She tosses another vial of acid, and is again rewarded with a satisfying hiss as the liquid spreads and dissolves the viscous blob.

Then Spike sinks his fangs into it, and worries away at it until another great big gob of goo tears loose.

Whatever was holding the slime together finally fails. It loses coherence, and simply ceases to be - it splashes across a large area, covering it in a slippery coating of smelly slime.

Inside it, at it's center, are the mutilated remains of the old saint. Many, long years ago, he was mumified and put to his final rest here. The slime has absorbed him, fusing with him, and grown what looks to be a rudimentary nervous system - he became part of it somehow, and it found some tiny spark of intelligence within the dna that remained in his long dead bones.

Now here he lies - only skull and most of the torso remains. And around his neck still hangs a simple wooden holy symbol.

Techwarrior
2014-04-28, 05:26 PM
Huh. Interesting. Definitely nice to know I don't need to worry about a quad-damage scythe critical or something like that insta-killing me randomly.

Erica bends down and retrieves the wooden holy symbol. Her voice is tired, but firm.

"Here Spike."

As Spike comes to her, she uses him to help herself up. The fight has taken quite a toll on her, and caused her to use many of the things she'd been saving 'for a rainy day,' but she succeeded and that's what matters. Perhaps this symbol would save the town as the Brother suspected.

Assuming nothing unusual happens upon retrieving the symbol, she also retrieves her equipment, gathers the torches into a pile away from anything they can burn, and then heads back up the stairs to rejoin the 'guards.' While she does so she is very careful to listen to any hint of unease from Spike, and keeps her eyes and ears peeled.

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-29, 03:10 AM
Really? You don't .... well, ok.

The two guards you left at the stairs are shocked by your appearance. You look like something tried to eat you alive - because something did. They try to grab you under the shoulder and help you up the stairs.

They are rather shame-faced about just standing around up here and letting you do all the fighting.

Techwarrior
2014-04-29, 07:43 AM
Erica smiles faintly at the 'warriors,' clearly exhausted from her fight.

"I've some news for the Brother, and if you would, I would appreciate accompaniment in a more thorough search of the crypt later. I just don't think I could weather another assault at the moment."

With that, Erica heads back up to Cassius, and without a word, hands him the slime-encrusted wooden holy symbol.

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-29, 10:13 AM
Brother Cassius looks - with puzzled amazement - at the old, wooden carving in his hand.

'... my god! You found it. I never thought I'd see this - much less hold it in my hand. This is a legandary artifact of the church.'

He stares another moment, then mumbles: 'Just a moment - I have to see ...'

He utters a spell under his breath. There is a twinkle around his eyes, and around the holy symbol. Then, after a moment, his face falls.

'What? But how can this be? Impossible - this is unmagical! This is just a hunk of ordinary wood!'

Seeming to forget everything around him, he wanders off, shaking his head. He goes towards the sanctuary, oblivious to the world around him.

Meanwhile, a girl you recognize as Emily comes over. She assits around the temple, though you don't know her well enough to know how.

'Can I help? she inquires, 'Your wounds need tending, at the very least.'

Techwarrior
2014-04-29, 02:13 PM
"Yes Emily. I took some scrapes in that fight. I can heal a few bruises, thanks to my heritage, but not often, and the creatures were close to overpowering us."

Erica feels bad for Cassius, but isn't sure what she can do. She pats Spike proudly, and then waits to see what Emily plans.

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-29, 06:40 PM
Off to one side of the temple is a small building in which those in need can come for help. Some food is dispensed to the poor, and some healing is administered to the sick. Emily is a temple healer. She brings you into this little annex, where she looks both you and Spike carefully over, cleaning and binding wounds, stitching cuts and applying healing poultices.

Healing skill, Erica: [roll0]
Damage healed: [roll1]
Healing skill, Spike: [roll2]
Damage healed: [roll3]

Having looked you both over, she thinks for a moment before speaking. She seems somewhat in doubt.

"There, I've done as much as I can for you. You should be right as rain. I hope. But I don't like that slime I found in your wounds. That didn't seem really healthy. I think you'll be fine, but you should watch those wounds, clean them and change the bandages. And come immediately if it festers, or you feel ill or anything like that."

Roll fortitude saves for both. DC is pretty easy - a 10 - and one success will cure you. One failure however will mean the infection is spreading, and require a new save.

What are Erica's plans now?

Emily does add: "Brother Cassius really is a kind man. He will want to reward your efforts here - even if the result wasn't what he'd hoped. Come back tomorrow maybe, when he's had some time to collect himself, and get a good nights sleep."

Techwarrior
2014-04-29, 07:21 PM
"I normally wouldn't be loathe to wait until morning, but I believe I need to debrief Cassius. Besides that, I think we may need to take a few warriors and comb over the crypt in higher detail. The ooze creatures I found might not be the only ones there, and there are tunnels where possibly dangerous creatures could enter the temple."

Erica: [roll0]
Spike: [roll1]

Kaptin Keen
2014-04-30, 08:01 AM
Emily looks somewhat desperate - this is way over her pay grade.

"We're so hard pressed for men of any fighting ability. You really need to take that up with someone else. As far as Brother Cassius is concerned, you're welcome to try his door. But if he's in as dark a mood as I suspect, I think he might simply not answer."

She puts a hand gently on Erica's shoulder.

"I'm sorry I can't do more. But really, you've been in quite a fight. Would a bit of rest be so bad?"

Techwarrior
2014-05-01, 07:20 AM
Erica smiles faintly at the girl.

"I know. It still needs to be done."

Erica then goes to Cassius's chamber and knocks loudly.

"Brother Cassius, we need to talk."

Kaptin Keen
2014-05-01, 07:31 PM
In principle we should go through the whole:

There is no answer.

I know again - even more loudly.

There is still no answer.

I do it again - and shout 'Brother Cassius, this is important!'

There is a muted answer from behind the door: 'Please .... just go away and leave me alone.'

Yet you persist, and knock again.

We'll skip all that, and jump forward until he finally shuffles across the floor, and unlocks the door. He doesn't bother opening it - when you realise this, and go in, you find him sitting on his bunk, head lowered, a look of total dismay on his face. On the small desk in his chamber are strewn a number of books - all are opened to pages and passages relating to St. Anton. The holy symbol itself lies discarded in a corner.

He whispers, barely audibly: "I ... I just really thought ..."

This is a deeply, deeply broken man.

Techwarrior
2014-05-01, 07:58 PM
Erica carefully mulls over the situation before trying to comfort Brother Cassius.

"It's possible I grabbed the wrong symbol Cassius. I had to fight off the ooze creatures in order to get that one, and then left as quickly as I could. Perhaps we could go down there together and look. I'm not much of a spellcaster. You might notice something I missed now that it's been cleared of the creatures desecrating your Temple's Crypt."

As she speaks, she posts him on the back comfortingly and Spike nuzzles up to him, attempting to show affection.

Kaptin Keen
2014-05-02, 07:33 AM
His voice is hoarse when he replies:

"Oh it's the right one. I checked. It accurately matches the illustrations we have of it. No, I was just wrong. I had hope. I had faith. But it's lost. Nothing can help us."

His mind drifts a moment, then finally looks up at you.

"What do you want, child? I cannot help you. Just ... you can take whatever you feel you need. It makes no difference anyhow."

Sorry about the doom and gloom here. I'm just letting Cassius be Cassius - he's no hero, no leader, no great man. He's just a kind person who has had way too much responsibility thrust upon him. And he had one slim hope, but now that's been dashed and broken.

Please note, however, that I'm cleverer than that.

Techwarrior
2014-05-04, 01:32 PM
Erica nods slowly, accepting what Cassius says compassionately. Then, slowly, she stands and speaks firmly.

"It's not about what I think Cassius. It's about what your god thinks, what the flock you've been left in charge of will face, and what you and I can do about it right now. I want you to come back with me into the Crypt. Take your books if you need. Perhaps there is something else we can use to help these people. You are a man of the Faith. You cannot give up: I won't let you. If we can't find anything in the Crypt, you and I should come up with a plan, whether it be flight or fight; wards or attack."

I apologize for the delay. I've been trying to figure out how I wanted to respond, and I spent a day on a train. I'll try to keep my post rate back to normal.

Kaptin Keen
2014-05-04, 05:03 PM
There is a long silence, at the end of which he finally looks up and faces Erica. Despair is etched deeply in every line of his face.

'... this is the only way that I will earn my peace from you, isn't it. Very well, lets go down in the crypts then.'

The bitterness of the response is a slap in the face for Erica. But he stands up, and shuffles off towards the stairs leading down into the crypts. On his way, he calls over a couple of guards to come along.

Doom, doom. Gloom, gloom. While I wont reveal the future of this particular npc, for the time being he is ... as he is.

Btw feel free to ask me out-of-game questions. If you feel like you're running up against a wall here, I can understand this - but the whole crypt thing is a side quest.

Techwarrior
2014-05-04, 05:17 PM
Erica leads the way back down to the Crypt, Spike just behind her.

Honestly, I'm not sure where I'm headed yet after the Crypt. Erica probably wouldn't feel altogether comfortable with her previous plan of asking for a reward, especially since she didn't really give Cassius what he asked for. Hopefully a more thorough search of the Crypt turns up something useful. Otherwise, I'll have to try and come up with something clever.

I'll definitely ask if I feel the need for a bit of direction. Solo games are really easy to have stall for want of ideas from the player in my experience.

Kaptin Keen
2014-05-04, 08:25 PM
The crypt is as you left it. With the aid of the guards, you burn every trace of slime you can find. You do a thorough search of the crypt, but find nothing more down here to threaten anyone. The crypt is clear.

Please do note however that light sources still seem strangely weak here.

Finally you turn to the raised platform upon which Antons sarcophagus rests. Inside the stone coffin you find a few trinkets of the old saint. There is a shield which looks about the right size for Erica - it is shaped like a sunburst, and while not an exact thematic match for the Silver Flame, it's fire-themed enough to appeal regardless. It is inlaid with silver and gold, and has the words Sanctus Auxillius inscribed along it's inner, top edge.

A +1 shield! I know I should maybe be all mysterious about it - but roguelikes do display the most obvious effects right on-screen.

Other then that, there is only that side tunnel that you figure connects to the old dire badger burrow below the town. As mentioned earlier, you know of another difference to this burrow - this being through the town mill. And you know the tunnels reach outside the town, and beyond the ring of undead surrounding it.

Techwarrior
2014-05-04, 08:52 PM
I'm assuming it's +1 Light Shield sized for a Small creature? Otherwise, what would be the most I could realistically get out of it in town, and is the town likely to have magic items as well?

As a Ranger without easy access to Identify, I am completely fine with ignoring the aggravation that can be magic item identification.

Also, can Erica's Shield Spikes be easily transferred to the shield, or do I need to talk to a craftsman for that. Erica's Craft skill modifier is an untrained +2.

Erica smiles slightly as she points down to the badger tunnels.

"Cassius, I don't know how much you remember about the dire badgers that plagued our town all that time ago, but I know a way through these tunnels. A way that would lead out of the town and past the undead army. Should we fail to hold the town, we have this as an escape route Cassius."

Erica picks up the shield, testing it's weight and feel as she throws a few shadow-strikes with it to get a feel for it.

"Cassius? Can you think of any reason for the lights to be so dim here?"

Spellcraft? [roll0]

Kaptin Keen
2014-05-05, 03:25 AM
To the first question, it's actually one of the guards who answers - rather than brother Cassius.

"You know" he says, "it's seems to me the best moment to try and get everyone out is during the actual attack. When all those undead are busy getting over our wall, that's when it will be the easiest to get people out."

He hesitates a moment.

"We'd need someone to man the walls of course. Not everyone would be able to make a run for it."

It's clear he has a pretty good idea he's going to be manning the walls when the time comes. But you also realise he'll be fighting with the bravery that comes from defending those you love.

Brother Cassius ponders the light for a moment.

"This is a holy place. The final resting place of the only true saint to come from these parts for hundreds of years. It may be responding to the events around us - or possibly, it may be a sign of the displeasure of the gods."

Techwarrior
2014-05-09, 12:22 PM
Erica bows her head, and kneels slightly out of respect for the guard.

"Even if no one ever officially comes along and gives you a Sainting, it's people like you that keep the Silver Flame from going black. Thank you Sir."

Erica turns to Cassius, all business.

"We need to make what arrangements we can. Do you have a map of the surrounding environs? We should have a plan for where we're planning to take all of these people. I would suggest the nearest village or town to where the badger tunnels come out on the other side. If possible, It would be damn helpful if I could requisition church funds, in case while I'm going through marking and clearing the tunnels something similar to what I found in the Crypt should be found. There are several things I'd like to attempt to purchase."

After speaking with Cassius, she turns to the gathered group.

"We must get the people informed about the situation. If we could get all of the people of the village gathered, I would be willing to attempt a speech to the whole."

Sorry, I've been especially busy with the recent workload, and will be for the next at least week or so. I'll try to keep posting daily, but it might be reduced to every two days, three in the worst of cases.

Kaptin Keen
2014-05-11, 07:02 AM
The guard blushes with visible pride, and stammers out a 'thank you, miss'.

One of the townsfolk approaches Erica and says:

" If ye jus' want gen'ral directions, t'nearest villages are Glendown to t'south, Pallden north o' here, and finally there's Croyford on Brennen, on the river west some miles. O'course, those little places are like t'be in as much trouble as we. If ye be wantin' somethin' defensable, ye'd have to treck to Stromfort, where there's a garisson. Lest way, afore this whole war business, there was one."

He thinks for half a second, then adds: "Also, t'mayor has maps I know. That was on'em I couldn't say."

Some volunteers agree to go around town and try to gather as many people as possible to the church.

All the while, Brother Cassius is very little help, being deeply settled in his doom and gloom. He does tell you that while the church has no gold to spare, you can tell anyone in town that he wants them to help you - and he expects them to aid in whatever manner they can.

Essentially, with Cassius backing you, any basic item is free of charge - within reasonable limits. Special items, like barding for Spike, will still cost you, as will anything magical or otherwise special.

Techwarrior
2014-05-14, 08:35 PM
Erica nods to the people, and thinks on what she is going to say, and what things she'll need, other than salt, to help her on her trek through the dire badger tunnels.

She goes to visit Giorn, hopefully he'll have some light to shed on the matter, and at the worst, he might be willing to trade.

Kaptin Keen
2014-05-15, 06:43 AM
Erica nods to the people, and thinks on what she is going to say, and what things she'll need, other than salt, to help her on her trek through the dire badger tunnels.

She goes to visit Giorn, hopefully he'll have some light to shed on the matter, and at the worst, he might be willing to trade.

Giorn is a grizzled old giant. Tall and muscular, with wild hair and a great big beard, he has provided Helgen with game for a generation and more. Neither flashy nor loud, he is generally a quiet man who keeps to himself. Despite this, he's liked by most for his honest nature and simple, friendly yet private personality.

Giorns real home is a small house in the forest outside town. In town, he rents a tiny space above a clock makers. He isn't there, however - when you manage to find him, he's in a small vacant lot behind the forge, where various people come to do every day work. Could be anything, from cutting fire wood to mending a bucket to oiling your rain coats.

Giorn is surrounded by stuff - he has a grind stone and a good dozen knives, a bunch of traps and snares, two small barrels of pitch, a couple of bows, and two short but efficient looking swords. He's currently in the process of buffing up a set of leather armor that looks like it has spent rather a long time in a closet somewhere.

No - Giorn is no easier to recruit than anyone else =)

As you approach, he looks up with a grim smile.

"Erica - hello. How may I help you? I'm just trying to make sure those bloody undead will know I fought back when they come for me."

Techwarrior
2014-05-17, 07:40 PM
I know. Honestly, I'm idea-fishing. Being so busy makes having brilliant ideas difficult.

Erica smiles, nodding with just the barest hint of a bow.

"Sounds just like you Giorn. It might not be necessary though. I still think we can get out of here alive, and possibly even sneak the whole town out past the undead."

As she speaks she pulls out her old shield, and the new fire-emblazoned one she got from the church.

"Mind if I swap the spikes to my new shield while we talk?"

How exactly would she go about swapping the spikes to her new shield?

Kaptin Keen
2014-05-18, 05:50 AM
Giorn ponders awhile, then replies:

"We'd need a well scouted path, supplies, secure camp sites and a safe end location. Even if we went out through the older dire badger tunnels, I'm not convinced it's realistic. Worth a try, of course - cause in here we're rats in the trap."

((Giorn, being the senior huntsman in town, was actually in charge of the dire badger clean-up. So he knows all about that.))

"I wonder what an undead warcamp is like. You ever think about that? They don't rest, they don't eat. They have no actual need of a camp. Do you think they just stand around, doing nothing while they wait? Do you think they collapse into the mud, to rise again when called - or when the unwary approach? Or do you think they dig trenches and earthworks and build palisades? Troops that never tire could build a fortress in no time."

He resumes working on his armor. Deft, sure hands clean and cure. You have little doubt he will have his slightly battered leather battle ready in a few hours.

"We couldn't sneak everyone out, just to discover we were right near their main force. We can't outrun them, see? They don't tire. So if their main strength lies north, we need to slip away south. Get distance, set ambushes to slow pursuit. Only way, I figure."

((With all this, however, remember: God did not task you with saving the town. He actually sent you to kill Skyth. Save not the town - but all of the inner kingdoms.))

Shields adhering to the Dwarven Guild Standards (GDS) feature a regular pattern of standardized 3/4 thread for screwing in shield spikes. Also, dwarves love spikes on things.

Both shields are GDS approved. So you just screw them out, then back in.

Techwarrior
2014-05-18, 09:02 PM
"How do you feel about coming to scout the path out with me? We could lead the way to Stromfort. There's a garrison there; they could probably house the whole village there."

Erica begins unthreading and rethreading the spikes into her shield.

"You're right though, if the town is to escape, it'll have to be a big ordeal. We could begin laying traps for the undead; maybe Brother Cassius would have some ideas for things we could do for that. I know you probably have a few ideas, and possibly even a few traps all ready to go."

Erica pauses and shudders, thinking about what Giorn said.

"I'd rather not ever be in a situation to know what an undead camp looks like... I hate the vile abominations with all of my heart."

I know, Erica's tasked herself with trying her best to saving the town. She'll abandon the plan if she concludes it's unfeasible, but for now she feels it necessary to try.

Kaptin Keen
2014-05-19, 06:06 AM
So ... you've been around town twice, down in the crypts, back up to be healed, talked to various persons of low import, and now you're threading and unthreading shield spikes. Not bad for a days work, and as it happens, when you look up from screwing in the last shield spike, the sun is setting and it's growing dark.

Giorn ponders your suggestion, then replies: "I feel I'm worth more here. Sure I'm a hunter, but I'm nowhere near as lithe and stealthy as you - nor as young, I might point out. I'll do everything I can to make the town defensible, and to secure our retreat if we manage to sneak out at one point. But I feel I'd be a liability on a scouting mission."

"Don't underestimate the value of knowing your enemy though. I no more want to visit an undead warcamp than you - but I do want to know how to kill them, what their weaknesses are. If they have any."

At the end of your exchange, Giorn strappes on his newly repaired leather armor. He looks every bit the seasoned veteran, not unafraid but determined - and armed to the teeth, literally bristling with weapons.

Night is falling. The town may not be entirely safe in the dark - but then, what could be out there that's more dangerous than you?

Do you return home to sleep, or go skukling about in the dark?

Techwarrior
2014-05-22, 03:09 PM
Erica goes to bed in her armor tonight, and she sets up a rudimentary trap on the entrance that will awaken her should someone come inside.

Kaptin Keen
2014-05-23, 04:51 AM
Erica makes her way back home. As the town is darkening, the streets are devoid of life. Heavy clouds hang overhead, although the rain has stopped.

She reaches her home without incident - but still, she has a slightly paranoid nagging at the back of her mind. Is someone following her? Geller, perhaps? Or something darker?

Or maybe it's just her imagination. ((Don't worry - it is ...... or is it??!!))

Returning home, weary and battered, Erica desperately wants to simply crash and sleep. However, first she takes the time to secure her home, setting up a few traps, and going to sleep with her weapons in easy reach.

Sleep quickly takes her, and she dreams.

Techwarrior
2014-05-28, 12:31 AM
Apologies on the delay. Work was killer the past two(?) days (Memorial Day et al).

I noted Erica healing 1 hp for resting through the night. Let me know if I need to remove that. Spike's already at max health.

And the Fortitude save for the disease, when that comes up:
[roll0]

Erica needs to get her priorities straight, that much was clear from her dream. She needed to do what could be done for the people of the village, but then she needed to get out of town. She had no idea why the undead weren't attacking or what could prompt them into doing so, but she had no intention of finding out.

That decision made, Erica gathers her meager belongings together and leaves her house for what was likely the last time. She needed to make a stop by the market, find maps of the area, and get started clearing out the badger tunnels for any who would follow. Perhaps a second talk with Thuillen would be in order, but she didn't like the odds of her persuading him.

Erica carefully makes her way to the market with Spike in tow. She makes another half-hearted attempt to find Eber, but doesn't devote much time and energy into the task (yet).

Kaptin Keen
2014-05-28, 06:46 AM
Ebers life is not in a solid state. He may accurately be described as Schrödingers Eber (a term of which I'm way too fond - I'm actually unsure if I've used it before already?!).

So I shall once again roll for various occurrances that may affect Ebers location and viability - one in favor of you finding him, another the opposite. And then whether you find him. I'll roll some dice, interpret as required, and present the result in an edit.

Circumstance A (positive), 15% chance: [roll0]
Circumstance B (negative), 15% chance: [roll1]
Finding Eber: [roll2] - exact chance of succes unrevealed! :p

Kaptin Keen
2014-05-28, 06:52 AM
Ebers life is not in a solid state. He may accurately be described as Schrödingers Eber (a term of which I'm way too fond - I'm actually unsure if I've used it before already?!).

So I shall once again roll for various occurrances that may affect Ebers location and viability - one in favor of you finding him, another the opposite. And then whether you find him. I'll roll some dice, interpret as required, and present the result in an edit.

Circumstance A (positive), 15% chance: [roll0]
Circumstance B (negative), 15% chance: [roll1]
Finding Eber: [roll2] - exact chance of succes unrevealed! :p

You look for Eber as you go about your other business, but catch no glimpse of him.

At the mayors house, no one answers the door. Repeated poundings and shoutings does not change this. It's possible you could make your own way inside, but in broad daylight that might be risky - even with the streets largely empty.

Thuillen is home, if you want to speak with him. He reminds you that if you acquire some proper leather, he could make a fine set of barding for Spike.

Market trade is anything but brisk, but some stalls are open, and you have Brother Cassius' support to get whatever you need - provided it's on offer.

Techwarrior
2014-05-31, 07:35 PM
Erica tests to see if the door is locked once, and is willing to make an Open Locks check, but will not devote more time than is necessary for 1 check.

Open Locks: [roll0]

After that, she wants to sell off her old shield and find out if she can acquire leather for barding, salt for the caves, any rations she can acquire, and asks about alchemical items and the availability of spell scrolls.

Kaptin Keen
2014-06-02, 07:03 AM
The mayor is a fairly wealthy man, collecting both a small share of the towns taxes, and the profits of his own investments - he has farms in the countryside, and part ownership in two shops in town. For this reason, he can afford a decent lock, one that should pose rather a challenge for Erica.

As Erica slides in her picks, she fully expects the lock to resist her probing. Surprisingly, as she prods a little this way and a little that way, with a slight 'click' the lock pops open.

How do you wish to proceed?

Techwarrior
2014-06-05, 10:09 AM
"Spike, Stay."

Erica readies her spiked +1 shield, draws a boomerang, and cautiously opens the door, looking around to see if anyone is in the front room.

Kaptin Keen
2014-06-06, 06:16 AM
Spike obediently waits just outside the door.

As Erica enters, the first thing she notices is a dumb waiter inside the door - which has been knocked over, spilling it's load of coats and cloaks across the hall.

Next, she notices she smell. It's not starvation in Helgen yet - but the really good meals are rather scarce. What assaults her nose is - she's sure - roasted potatoes, a side of grilled venison, thick gravy and fresh bread. There is also the tinkling of a music box playing. Erica even recognizes the tune as 'the merry huntsman' - a popular song with the travelling minstrels.

There are stairs leading up. A smaller door leads west, and a large, beautifully carved oaken affair stands ajar, into the mantion proper.

Assumptions have been made.

Techwarrior
2014-06-10, 09:21 PM
Erica's mind is a storm of emotion.

There's people willing to kill over an apple outside, and he's got fresh bread and venison for breakfast?!

Erica announces herself loudly as she approaches the open affair.

"Mister Mayor, I was wondering if I could speak with you a moment?"

Kaptin Keen
2014-06-11, 04:27 AM
His wealth provides the livelihood of dozens or more - he is free to spend it as he sees fit.
The rich, entitled bastard will be among the first with his back against the wall when the glorious revolution comes.
He earned it - he can spend it as he pleases. In this way, the wealth is spread around.
It does smell like venison. But is it really? In fact, that side of meat looks suspiciously like ... OMG OMG!!

Erica hears a cough from inside the room, and a voice issues: 'Sure - come in.'

There is also a slight creaking of wood, which could be the mayor getting up from his chair to welcome you.

... did I name this guy? Mayor Osgood maybe? Nah, that's the guy from Broodhollow. I'll check.

EDIT: I dunno, seems I didn't name him. He is now, and shall forever be, Drummond Knott, mayor elect of Helgen. Entrepeneur, philantrope, gourmand, Connoisseur de vin de la terre. Jolly, overweight ....

Techwarrior
2014-06-16, 12:36 PM
Erica sheathes her boomerang, but keeps her shield on her wrist as she walks into the room the noise came from. While it could be the mayor getting up from a chair, it could be something else, and a healthy dose of paranoia had kept her alive so far.

"I just wanted to see your maps, Mister Mayor."

Kaptin Keen
2014-06-16, 02:04 PM
Paranoia? Why, there is nothing here to fear. All is well.

Regardless, please express that paranoia in game terms. Sort of step by step, as you open the door and enter.

Techwarrior
2014-06-16, 02:09 PM
Paranoia in game terms:

Sheathe Boomerang.

Walk to door.

Ready Shield Bash should something hostile attack her as she opens the door.

Open door.

Spot check to look around room.

Kaptin Keen
2014-06-16, 04:45 PM
Good enough. In the absence of an actual roll, I shall roll one for you.

Spot: [roll0]
Vs. Hide (including a bonus for distraction, and another for time to set up: [roll1]

As you step inside, your eyes first focus on the honest to Gods feast in front of you. Venison (and lots of it), roast potatoes, jam and gravy, fresh aspargus, fennel, brown butter and capers, along with an obviously aged bottle of wine, a loaf of fresh bread. As you take in the room, it's clear there was some struggle here - a few shattered plates on the floor, a chair knocked over.

All the while, the music box chimes merrily along.

At the very last moment, you look up and realise there is someone above you - just as he drops on you, a large knife flashing.

Roll initiative. Declare actions.

Techwarrior
2014-06-16, 05:08 PM
Erica's shield flashes out on reflex, fire designs leaping in the light as the man drops down on her.
Shield Spikes [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

As Erica's wits come back to her, she withdraws back towards Spike, and readies a boomerang.

"Spike, HEEL!"

Initiative: [roll2]

Erica uses a Double Move action, moving away 30 feet and drawing a boomerang, and then making a Handle Animal check to call Spike to her.
Handle Animal [roll3]

Kaptin Keen
2014-06-16, 05:19 PM
Hm. Unsure how to rule on this one. Guy hiding among the rafters had a readied action to drop and backstab. You had a readied action to attack. If you hadn't spotted him, he'd have surprise - which would be bad. Now, you both have readied actions. The one who has the highest dex goes first then? And then normal rounds follow?!

I'ma go with that, unless you object fiercely.

So - rolls:
Damage: [roll]1d4+1[roll]

Also, initiative: [roll1]

"You should have killed me when ya had the chance, cully," Geller informs you, mad hatred twisting his features. "Now, I'll make you suffer - oh yea, ya just see if I don't."

Your attack hits Geller for 3 damage, the shield spikes ramming him in the chest and piercing his make-shift leather armor.

Kaptin Keen
2014-06-18, 08:19 AM
Gah! Geller actually won initiative - I thought Erica did.

As he drops from his perch, his wicked dagger scrapes along Ericas shield, doing little of anything. As he lands, he feints a jab to draw a shield block, then as Erica lowers her shield again, he throws something with his off-hand, then attacks for real with the dagger.

He throws an irritant powder, trying to blind Erica (which in this case translates into a -2 on attack rolls), then attacks. He gets applicable penalties, of course.

Attack, dagger: [roll0]
Attack, powder: [roll1]

Damage, dagger: [roll2]
Damage, powder: Dex save vs dc 12 or -2 to attacks.

On a side note, Spike is all of 5-6 meters away, and can attack immediately.

Your turn.

Oh - poor guy. Maybe with proper upbringing he'd have had a better life.

Since I cannot roll again in the same post, I'll just roll actual dice. He gets a save vs. his own powder as he fumbles it and sprays it into his own square. He makes it, rolling 18, but still looks rather incompetent and silly.

Techwarrior
2014-06-18, 01:04 PM
"Well Geller, I've given you your chance to do what is Right and you failed. What have you done with the mayor?"

Erica moves to give Spike an easy flank, and continues to put the pressure on Geller. This time she won't hold back.

Erica: 5 ft step to easy flank.
Spiked Shield [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Spike:
Bite [roll2] Includes +2 for flank
Damage [roll3]
Trip [roll4]

Kaptin Keen
2014-06-18, 07:11 PM
Ericas attack connects, leaving Geller frankly rather badly wounded. However, he seems hardly to notice. Spikes attack misses.

Geller takes a step back, placing himself in such a way that the table makes flanking less easy. He smiles broadly at Erica, and replies: "The mayor? Oh you'll see him soon enough. And when you do, maybe you'll finally learn not to mess with me. Of course, by then it will be much, much too late."

He lunges at you again, aiming for the throat.

Flanking is still possible - but under the table, with chairs and stuff in the way, and a little over the top for Spike to figure out on his own. He can either attack normally, or flank if you succeed a dc 12 handle animal check.

Techwarrior
2014-06-18, 07:19 PM
"I'll tell you once more Geller, you can't take me out like this."

And with that, she nimbly sidesteps Geller's attack completely, not even having to rely on her armor. Her own retaliation only drives home that he's out of his waters. In a straight fight, he's got very little chance.

Erica:
Handle Animal (DC 12) [roll0] (success grants flank for them both)

Spiked Shield [roll1] (+2 if successful handle animal)
Damage [roll2]

Spike:
Bite [roll3] (+2 if successful handle animal)
Damage [roll4]
Trip [roll5]

Kaptin Keen
2014-06-18, 07:32 PM
Ericas shield connects solidly with Gellers jaw, making rather a mess of his face, and sending him crashing to the floor like a sack of potatoes. Blood spurts, and Geller - while never a handsome man - will never be winning any beauty contests ever again, nor most likely singing in key.

Combat ends.

The merry tune coming from the music box stutters and ends. Before you lies a great big feats of a meal. Geller is bleeding on the floor, and in all honesty he needs medical attention - or you may decide to simply let his miserable existance end. There are stairs here, leading down into the larder, and a door which might lead to a dining room (spoiler: It does). From the stairs, you seem to hear a muffled crying.

Techwarrior
2014-06-29, 06:46 PM
Erica pauses to think over the morality of letting Geller die, she doesn't take too much time though, as it seems there is someone in need of rescuing. Then Erica heads to the stairs.

Basically, I'm asking for your thoughts on the Good/Evil-ness on letting Geller die. Also, I apologize, my subscription to this thread seemed to have been deleted somehow. :smallconfused: That's fixed now though.

Kaptin Keen
2014-06-29, 07:28 PM
Well, that's a good question, isn't it? Geller is not a nice guy. But ... in the armed service, I learned the priorities when applying first aid to wounded soldiers in the field: Never panic, determine the extent and seriousness of the injuries, save those you can, leave those you cannot to die ... and finally, keep an eye towards the value of each. Can you save a medic, then maybe that\s just worth more than a grunt - and so on.

Right now, Geller may not be that high of a priority - while someone potentially much more worthy is breathing his (or her) last down in the larder.

So ... morally, find out what the options are, then chose.

Erica reaches the stairs, and steps down into the larder. As the door swings open, a bit of light spills into the room - but not enough to show Erica any details. However, the crying stops, to be replaced by panicked breathing. Someone in here is very, very afraid.

There is a lantern mounted on the wall, and Erica takes half a moment to light it. As the room brightens, an awful scene presents itself. From a meat hook, the mayor of Helgen hangs suspended - very dead, very tortured and mutilated, pretty much cut to ribbons. And below, drenched in the dead mans blood, and beaten so badly you don't even recognize him at first, you find Eber. Bound hand and foot, gagged and helpless, he has been punched enough to close up both his eyes - he has no idea who just entered the room, but it's clear that he's terrified that Geller has come to finally finish him.

Techwarrior
2014-06-29, 08:44 PM
Erica does her best to remain calm in the face of this newest shocking revelation. No wonder she'd been unable to find Eber earlier, if this was the situation he was in. In a calm, clear, soothing voice she speaks out to the poor tortured man.

"Everything's going to be alright Eber. Geber won't be coming back for you, I promise."

Erica unties Eber and begins going about helping to dress his wounds.

Well, Evil or not, Erica's made her choice.

Kaptin Keen
2014-06-30, 03:37 AM
It takes some time to convince poor Eber he's not going to die. But as he realises he's safe, he becomes incoherent with relief and thanks. He repeats over and over "he called me a traitor, he said I betrayed him .." What you piece together in time is this: When you defeated Geller, Geller blamed Eber for that. That earned Eber a beating, but then Geller resumed his role of being the care taker, promising to find them food, and quite possibly, fortune.

Then they broke into the mayors mansion. Ostensibly just to raid the larder, but Geller really had bigger plans: He wanted to force the mayor to open the town treasury, so Geller could steal all the gold. When Eber refused this - he really just wanted food - Geller got furious. They'd already tied up the mayor, so now Geller beat Eber fiercely, then forced him to watch as he tortured and killed the mayor. Who by the way never opened the treasury. And all the while telling Eber that he was next.

And all Eber ever wanted was food, because he was hungry. You kinda suspect that's the real point with the feast in the next room - just another cruel joke on Eber.

Kaptin Keen
2014-07-04, 09:25 AM
Please note that I travel to the far distant realm of Veneto, where locals produce fine wines of ancient providence. I shall sip on such spirits as are found there, and remain online only via strange and ethereal rituals extant in these backwards regions.

Techwarrior
2014-07-21, 11:27 PM
"Well Eber. You are welcome to come with me. I don't know how much you know of the situation currently, but I can provide you food and shelter, and can even fix your wounds via my heritage."

She points at her slightly glowing d'Jorasco tattoo as her hand becomes alight with magical healing energy and she heals [roll0] his seemingly many wounds, then both hand and face fade back to normal.

"Do you have anything you need to get before we leave?"

Kaptin Keen
2014-07-22, 06:40 AM
Eber is practically grovelling at your feet with thanks. By your estimation, Geller had been working on him mainly with kicks and punches (making most of the damage temporary), and he's in pretty decent shape with your healing. Mentally tho, he can generously be described as 'slightly unstable'. However, he's more than willing to follow wherever you lead.

He informs you that he has nothing to bring with him - he basically owns nothing but the clothes on his back. However, he's desperate for food, and there's a whole roast in the next room.

In his current state, he's a level 1 commoner. He has no weapons or armor, and is proficient only with simple weapons. For all that, once he gets a decent meal in him, his stats are decent (actually, I can swear to that, as I'll roll them below, then arrange them to suit).

Stats:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Actually I'll just leave them like that. Those are fine. He has 7 hp, ac 10, and +2/+2 on attack/damage rolls.

Techwarrior
2014-07-23, 11:44 PM
So this? (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=968347). I fully intend to keep him around, suit him up, and potentially make him a Cohort of some kind. Maybe later we can discuss swapping out his levels for something mundane and fightery or roguey?

Erica looks around, and sighs. Then she hands him a sack.

"Go ahead and have your fill, but don't make yourself sick Eber. Here, take this, and anything that can be preserved easily, put it into the sack. I'm going to look around for a map, and then we should clear out and get the mayor taken care of. Hopefully we'll be ready to leave by the afternoon."

Erica looks for a library, or stack of important looking papers, or similar, and looks for a map of the surrounding countryside. After that she helps Eber take the mayor down from his hanging place, and then they both head to the church.

Kaptin Keen
2014-07-25, 04:57 AM
Should he survive, I will trade his commoner levels for something else.

Eber eats his fill, but cautiously. He's starved before, he knows what he's doing. Then he fills the sack: Smoked ham, fruit, cheese. Enough for rather a long while. He grabs a couple of long knives from the kitchen too. On the fallen dumb waiter inn the entry hall, he finds a leather jacket which is only slightly oversize, and puts that on. Hence, he now has daggers and a single point of armor.

Erica looks around the house. There is a study at the rear of the ground floor, where indeed she finds a stack of maps. One details Scriver Road, which goes from Hadredon far to the south, and ends in Durlon to the north. It passes both Helgen and Glendown, and crosses the Brennen river several times.

Another map shows the Duchy of Stromfort, with Helgen being a small dot near the edge of the map. Another is a town map of Helgen.

Let me know if you dig any deeper in the study - for now, you have what you came for.

If not, events shall progress.

Kaptin Keen
2014-07-26, 06:52 PM
So ... events progress:

After finding the maps, and getting some food in Ebers belly, you return to the larder. Where - just as you prepare to cut the former mayor down - his eyes slide open. As you stare into the face of the corpse, your blood freezes in your vain as you meet the soulless stare. No slow groan escapes his lips - his lungs aren't moving, his vocal cords remain quiet. In utter silence but with visible determination, he starts to struggle with his restraints. The ropes groan.

It's time for initiative.

Strength check: [roll1]

Yea. Thralls are strong. Good luck =)

Techwarrior
2014-08-02, 05:11 AM
Erica's eyes widen suddenly, and then narrow to slits. She should have seen that coming, or at least checked for the possibility. It was too late now though, and they would have to take this thing down quickly, in order to survive. There was no time to be afraid...

"Come Eber. To arms! Don't let the undead free itself! Spike, Strike!"

Erica [roll0]
Eber [roll1]

Not sure how you want to deal with Eber currently. I'll make an attack roll, since he's probably within range of a dagger strike.

I went to look up the rules for bound (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#helplessDefenders) foes, because I thought I remembered a melee attack bonus in there, and extra action types available, but there wasn't (just an AC penalty).

Erica gives Spike the Attack command, and then strikes with her shield.

Erica:
Attack [roll2]
Damage [roll3] Piercing

Spike:
Bite [roll4]
Damage [roll5]

Eber:
Dagger [roll6]
Damage [roll7]

Kaptin Keen
2014-08-03, 02:19 AM
Better roll a crit confirm for Eber there.

Bound equals helpless, meaning you get a rather substantial bonus to hit. He's ac 5, and you get +4.

You do have the option of using a coup-de-grace ... but those are remarkably unattractive vs. the undead. However, if you had some clever way of using it, it would work (think of a wooden spike to the heart for a vampire, right?).

Techwarrior
2014-08-04, 03:21 PM
Didn't bother with crit rolls because it's undead.

Confirm [roll0]

Kaptin Keen
2014-08-05, 05:38 AM
That, of course, is understandable. However ...

Ebers dagger doesn't do a great deal of visible damage. It's not an impressive weapon - rather, it is a repurposed kitchen tool. He does however stab it from behind, and by more luck than any skill at combat, neatly severs the spine below the base of the skull. The thrall winks out like a snuffed candle, and is once more simply the corpse of the unfortunate ex-mayor.

Is valuable. You and Eber both get +1 to attack and damage vs thralls - and when in position to do so, you can score crits. 'Position to do so' could be attacking from behind, for instance. Or using called shots for the neck - which would likely not be worth it.

Techwarrior
2014-08-08, 03:43 PM
Erica beams at Eber.

"Good job! With a little practice, we'll make a warrior of you yet. Now, let's head to the church. Brother Cassius should know of this, so that he can take care of the body in accordance the mayor's Faith."

After making sure the area seems secure, Erica will head over to the Church. She intends to discuss the map she has found with Cassius, making sure that he understands her plan for where they should go. After that, she'll have to hope that Cassius can lead these people to safety. Her and Eber would have their hands full simply clearing the way.

Kaptin Keen
2014-08-11, 05:07 AM
Back at the temple, you are once again greeted by Emily. She half-heartedly tries to dissuade you from disturbing Brother Cassius in his meditations, but recognising your determination, she lets up fairly quickly, and tells you he is still in his study.

When you get there, you find the door slightly ajar. Peering inside, you see Cassius. He hasn't bathed in a while, his thin hair is a wild jumble on his head, and there is a mad gleam to his eyes. He's mumbling under his breath as he shifts from one book to another to a third. He doesn't react to your presence.

Techwarrior
2014-08-15, 12:08 PM
Erica unonciously reaches out and stops Eber from moving towards Cassius and motions him to silence, and then watches him for a small time (maybe a few minutes) before her patience wears thin and she boldly steps forward and speaks up.

"Cassius, what has gotten into you?"

Kaptin Keen
2014-08-16, 08:45 AM
Last time you saw Cassius, he was clearly a broken man. All his hopes had hinged on finding a miraculous holy item to save everyone. Himself included. Remember, he is no hero - he is no less terrified than everyone else. On top of that, especially with the mayor now dead, everyone is looking to him for leadership.

Now, the situation is different. Even worse, actually: He has no miracle to hope for, no one to share the responsibility with. As you look in his eyes, you realise he's no less broken than last time - but now, on top, you see desperation for something, anything that can swing the situation.

In Cassius' mind, all he is doing is waiting for the inevitable attack, and the death of everyone he has ever known.

As you watch, he tears through books. He's still trying to figure out how St. Anton managed to defeat the Shade of Űlhamac. Historically, this happened. In principle, it could be done again - but with the holy symbol being a blind end, Cassius has no clue.

Mumbling over and over to himself, you pick up 'there has to be something - there has to be!'

Techwarrior
2014-08-18, 04:47 PM
Erica empathized with the poor man, but now was not the time to fall apart. If that meant instilling discipline in him, she would have to do so.

"Cassius! Get ahold of yourself. Now is not the time to search for a miracle. Now is the time for action! We have to see to it that the villagers are seen to safety. I'll do what I can to scout and clear the path for you, but you must take charge now and act. Once we get everyone to safety we can worry about finding something to help us defeat these creatures. Who knows, maybe in a bigger city you'll be able to access a larger library with more detailed records."

Kaptin Keen
2014-08-18, 06:14 PM
It takes a few seconds for your words to sink in. You can literally feel him reeling his mind back from where ever it has roaming. He pinches the bridge of his nose, then fixes you with his glare.

'Oh it's you again. Erica. Look, Erica. I agree in principle. I just don't see how we can save anyone with anything short of a miracle. Do you have a better plan than that?'

Techwarrior
2014-08-31, 11:28 AM
Erica glares sternly at Brother Cassius, then relents slightly, opening up with a smile.

"Look, I understand that you didn't ask for this, and that you feel overwhelmed by all of this. What more do you want from me? Is there anything I can do to help?"

Kaptin Keen
2014-08-31, 12:22 PM
Erica glares sternly at Brother Cassius, then relents slightly, opening up with a smile.

"Look, I understand that you didn't ask for this, and that you feel overwhelmed by all of this. What more do you want from me? Is there anything I can do to help?"

He withers under Ericas stare. Then he speaks, slowly, his voice full sadness.

"You must understand, Erica, that I'm a man of faith. I have nothing else to offer. When I perused the holy texts, I found one slim hope of salvation - this holy symbol, which was once used to defeat the Shade of Ulhamac. A lesser aspect of one of the Crypt Lords, but ... well it still gave me hope."

He shifts uncomfortably.

"But that was just a dead end. It's not even magical. I'm sure the texts don't lie - but the explanation for St. Antons victory must be something else. It wasn't this holy symbol. I'm at my wits end, I have no idea what to do. You want to save everyone? Well, as things stand, I doubt that's even possible. I'm no strategist, to be sure, but it seems something somewhere has to shift if we're to have any chance of escape."

He points at his books and scrolls:

"I will keep looking for clues here. Something I missed. Something I misunderstood. Because that's all I can do. I'm just a humble preacher. You however? Scout for us. Learn. Maybe they have a weakness? Maybe you can create an opening? Or maybe you'll die trying, but that has to be better than sitting around here without any hope, waiting to die."

Brother Cassius is just a minor npc and quest giver. His primary role was to give you a a shield that can cast aid once a day. Oh, and he may yet get his moment of glory, but for now he's of little use to you.

Techwarrior
2014-09-05, 12:18 PM
Erica gives him one last stern gaze and then turns on her heels and heads out the door.

"Come on Eber, we have a town to save."

With that she heads to the entrance of the dire badger tunnels and does one last check of her gear and Eber's before heading down inside.

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-05, 06:24 PM
"Yes, Miss Erica," replies Eber. As you leave, he does a quick detour to an alcove in the temple in which a bunch of equipment lies ready for the guards. He grabs a hand axe and a small shield, along with a set of studded leather armor. Thus newly geared, he follows in Ericas footsteps.

You might also want to pick a couple of feats for him.

Techwarrior
2014-09-09, 01:36 AM
It's kind of hard to pick feats when your only good stat to open feat chains is Strength, or easy I guess. I thought about asking about Dragonmark of Deneith, but figured that'd be beyond his capabilities (at least currently). Anyway

Eber (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=968347)
Erica (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=832404)
Spike (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=855621)

Having checked and double-checked everyone's gear, Erica gets ready to lead everyone to the caves, and then does a double take. Then she finds Emily, the girl who patched them up yesterday.

"What kind of material do you have access to? I'd like to wall off, or at least barricade, the tunnels that open up into the Crypt below, as that would be far too easy a path for the Undead outside to come in through."

OOC:
Has Erica needed to make a new save vs. that disease yet?

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-09, 09:13 AM
I think we can safely add a +1 base attack to Eber - consider him a warrior instead of a commoner. Once he gets a proper class, he will get a stats improvement too. And if needed, he will learn how to use his abilities more efficiently (meaning we might swap a feat or two - you've worked hard for him, I don't want him to be useless).

Emily thinks it over. Much has already been done to make the church defensible, and there are no more materials easily at hand. On the other hand, half the town is desserted, so materials are available. Labor too is easier to find than fighting men. Even if it's mostly the old and weak who have stayed.

"We'll come up with something," she assures you, "hopefully we can build a collapsible wall - so we can get out, but they cannot get in."

She looks slightly misty for a moment, then adds: "Good luck, Erica!"

Yea, now would be a good time to roll. I kinda forgot about that. But! Emily is a healer - how about we have her try and lend a hand, before you roll your save: [roll0]. She didn't know about the infection initially, but now you're showing symptoms, and she does what she can. Meaning you're cured on anything but a 1. She's good =)

Techwarrior
2014-09-10, 03:44 PM
Erica mists up a little at Emily.

"If you want Emily, you can come with us. It's probably your best chance at surviving this."

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-10, 04:50 PM
Emily has a somewhat startling reply.

"Erica," she says, with steady voice and not a sliver of doubt, "I don't need to run, because we're going to win this. God will protect and guide us, and we will triumph!"

((so it's off into the tunnels, I guess?))

Techwarrior
2014-09-10, 04:52 PM
((Yes indeed.))

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-10, 05:08 PM
You progress back down through the crypts - with Eber in tow. As you progress through the first level, the beautiful one, Eber comments at random:

"Ooh, pretty - these lamps and portals are made from salt crystal, right?"

As you go down the stairs to the second level however, he falls silent. The atmosphere and feel of the place is much less oppressive than when you were first down here - for one thing, light has been lit down here, but for another it's just like the evil has been pushed back a bit. It's not gone, though, there is still enough of an ill feeling down here to make Eber shut up.

You find the hole in the wall, and go through - into the dire badger tunnels beyond.

You've been here before. Then, it was with the most able men in town, hunting the dire badgers, driving them out or killing them. There was a sense of purpose then, an excitement.

Now, you just have the crushing darkness and silence, and the burden of responsibility.

You have a slightly hazy memory of the place. You think you will move towards the exit if you follow that tunnel over there to the right. Maybe.

Do you trust your memory - or do you progress systematically?

Techwarrior
2014-09-16, 04:46 PM
Always systematically.

Erica lights a torch and hands it to Eber, then lights another for herself, fully intending to make the most out of the right hand rule throughout these tunnels.

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-16, 07:19 PM
The former dire badger lair is - in main - shaped like a hand. The palm was the main den, where the young were, and where the two adult badgers would sleep. The fingers of the hand would be five different tunnels, leading to various exits. Some exits are in town - the mill, the crypt (though that one wasn't found back when you cleared the lair) and a further exit near the walls. Another two are outside town, but one is inside the perimeter of the undead.

The exits inside town were walled off, except for the one that was missed initially, the one leading to the crypt. As you progress through the lair, you find that they still are.

However, that's just the beginning of the lair. Off the main tunnels, any number of smaller tunnels branch off. Most of them are blind, and quite short. A few however are long and winding. It is down one of these, at it's very end, that you find something rather odd and unexpected. There are a few small depressions - nestlike, almost. And scattered around them, all across the end of the tunnel, are tiny piles of fine ashes with little bones in them.

You may roll Religion, Dungeoneering or Nature (if you have either) to learn more. Nature is at a rather distinct disadvantage (-4 on the die). DC is 15.

Techwarrior
2014-09-18, 11:48 PM
Erica has no such knowledge skill trained.
Flat Int. [roll0]

Erica carefully examines the ashes, hoping to find more out about this strange thing. Surely the dire badgers hadn't been burned?

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-19, 02:43 AM
Erica has no such knowledge skill trained.
Flat Int. [roll0]

Erica carefully examines the ashes, hoping to find more out about this strange thing. Surely the dire badgers hadn't been burned?

The ashes are extremely fine and uniform. You're pretty sure fire didn't do this. For one thing, the bones are pristine white. Also, the bones are birds and rodents and other small animals.

Also, dire badgers are Large. Everything here is like the size of your palm.

Unless you want to examine further, all that's left is to head for the exit. Which is a rather long corridor, since it goes all the way beyond the ring of undead.

You're a ranger, and you don't have it? Alright =)

Anyways, you can use search for tracking, right? Around the little nests there are tiny tracks of many creatures.

Techwarrior
2014-09-27, 02:20 PM
Erica does what she can to figure out what's going on with the tracks. It definitely shouldn't take too long, and while there was the urgent matter at hand, information could keep them alive.

Survival: [roll0]

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-28, 07:08 AM
There are dozens of little 'nests', myriad tracks, and the remains of the prey of these creatures. A swarm of little somethings. Since they are not here, they must be elsewhere - hunting?

You've been to all parts of the dire badger burrow, except the long tunnel that leads outside.

Techwarrior
2014-10-01, 01:01 AM
How big of a something? Something to be worried about?

Realizing that she wasn't the only one here apart from Spike, she realized her thoughts should probably be vocalized. If only so Eber knew.

"These tracks are intriguing. I can't quite make out what they are, but I hadn't even thought that another creature would start habitating these tunnels. Then again, with the dire badgers gone... there isn't a reason not to."

After explaining the possible threat to Eber, she begins making her way down the tunnel, trying to stay wary of any potential hazards ahead. She hadn't thought of it until now, but she probably should have marked the trail for anyone else. She does however, do her best to leave a mark here at the exit so that the other villagers know. Something simple and obvious, and up high so that nothing will disturb it.

Kaptin Keen
2014-10-01, 03:51 AM
As a general guideline, every encounter could be your last. That is what makes it a rogue-like game. Seen in that light, there is no encounter you shouldn't be worried about - however, there is nothing about this encounter that should make you more worried than other encounters.

I try to make a difference between just encounters, and boss encounters. Boss encounters (which is a strange term in level 1) are like the blob thing you fought in the crypt - very hard, but will yield loot of far greater quality.

In this particular case, I've told you what to expect, because you rolled well. It's a swarm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/swarm.htm). Not a type of swarm you recognize - you never seen this particular type of creature - but you (or Erica) knows about fighting swarms. In general, use fire. Or, actually, use fireballs - but that option is sadly closed to you.

You start down the tunnel. After a while of cautious progress, you see light ahead - the tunnel opening. Here, too, you come upon the first larger skeleton, a sheep. A little further on, you find a cow. Over the stillness of the tunnel, you detect a faint chittering ahead.

You are 20 feet from the exit. Outside you see several skeletons, some human. Everywhere there is a layer of very fine, almost white dust.

How do you wish to proceed?

Techwarrior
2014-10-02, 05:16 PM
Erica pauses before the exit, thinking carefully on how to proceed.

"We're going to need fire. Lots of fire. Give me a hand Eber."

Erica then sets to taking strips of cloth and improvising a few Molotov Cocktails with her oil flasks, and lighting a few torches. Hopefully, it wouldn't be necessary, but with the way her week had been going...

Kaptin Keen
2014-10-02, 06:20 PM
Eber joins in, putting an IGF (Improvised Greek Fire) in his belt, and a torch in his shield hand.

With fire ready, you poke your heads out of the opening. The tunnel exits into a natural depression in the landscape - and it's filled with a godawful mess of dead animals and people. Literally swarming over these corpses are myriad small creatures. They are disgusting things, pale and eyeless, chittering and scurrying.

They do not as such seem to be eating the enormous amount of prey they've killed here. Rather, they are surrounded by a strange smoky haze, a ground-hogging mist that seems to decay or dissolve everything around them.

... roll spellcraft vs 15 to find anything insightful about that haze, or
... roll ranger level + wisdom modifier to place these little creatures somewhere in the Kingdom of Nature.

Also, you read up on swarms, right?

The creatures are literally everywhere. Careful as you may be, it's only a matter of time before one of them spots you.

Actions? =)

Techwarrior
2014-10-10, 03:41 AM
I did in fact read up on swarms. They suck. :smallsmile:
Spellcraft [roll0]
Ranger [roll1]

Erica stumbles over thoughts, chewing them up thoroughly in her head before deciding on a plan of attack.

"Only one thing for it Eber. We each take a lit torch in each hand, and try to get as far as we can from them. Hopefully they won't notice us. When they do, we have the firebombs to try, and we need to try and beat them back with the torches. If we weren't trying to go through them, but just defend, I'd suggest a large fire to fall back on, but we have neither the time or the luxury of doing that."

With lit torch in each hand, and her shield strapped to her arm, she mentally prepares herself and steps out into the night. Hopefully Spike could figure something out to do with the creatures, whatever they were.

Kaptin Keen
2014-10-10, 05:50 AM
If only you had like - a choke point.

Spell craft doesn't tell you much. Them being surrounded by some sort of haze is clearly not a natural effect, but you're not enough of a specialist to guess at the meaning of it.

You are an expert on all things natural, however - and these things are not. While they are clearly swarming over their various prey, in a way that makes you think 'feeding' - they do not seem to have actual mouths.

They are, quite frankly, rather disquieting little things.

As Erica emerges from the tunnel, there is no change for a few heart beats. Eber and Spike move up behind her. The low chattering goes on.

Then, one of the small ... whatever they are ... notices. And it's like watching a flock of birds change direction in flight - a ripple seems to flow across the small hollow as every creature there turns towards you. The sight of fresh prey obviously excites them - they let out a 'SKREEE!!' and rush towards the three of you.

For now, just initiative

Techwarrior
2014-10-10, 06:00 AM
It might be make things run more smoothly if you roll initiative for everyone when you call for it. I normally like to roll, but PBP is slow enough as is. :smalltongue:
Erica [roll0]
Eber [roll1]
Spike [roll2]

Kaptin Keen
2014-10-10, 06:30 AM
That's true, yea. Regardless, I rolled a natural 1. You go first.

On a note of interest: There are 3 swarms - haven't mentioned that yet. You have no idea how hard (or easy) they are. But currently they are spread out.

(maybe I should have mentioned that? Damned if I know. Propably I should.)

Techwarrior
2014-10-14, 04:33 PM
OOC: How quickly would you say they are moving? Can we outrun them?

Erica takes the fire bomb from her belt and nods to Eber.

"Bombs away!"

Together they throw their firebombs at the creatures.

Erica and Eber: Light and throw firebombs. I'm honestly not sure how you want to do damage with them, or even what rolls it entails. I will note that swarms take double damage from area effect damage, which this definitely should qualify as.

If the three of them can form a line at the cave mouth, they'll do that. Erica in the middle.

Kaptin Keen
2014-10-14, 06:21 PM
There are three swarms. They are not fast - you can outrun them. They are spaced out, so you cannot hit multiple swarms at once.

The corridor you're in is narrow - something like 4 feet wide. And easily some hundred feet long. It opens into a wide depression in the ground, which the swarms have made their feeding ground.

You could create a barrier of fire in front of you, and this would keep you safe until the fire died. It wouldn't necessarily kill off the swarms though - they would likely just not enter the fire.

It may be possible to simply run through the swarms, though getting back in might be problematic.

Do note that swarms can squeeze - all three can enter the same space, or any space you are in, or both. They take x1,5 damage from AoE, not double. The swarms are ac 14.

You have weapons in hand, and the fight is yours to initiate. You're not really in a position to gain surprise, but I'll grant you initiative on the first round. You can chose where to fight, and how.

Techwarrior
2014-11-19, 09:51 PM
Well, Erica and Eber each throw a firebomb at the closest swarm. Then, given Erica's knowledge of swarms, she directs everyone to group up as close together as they can.

Each of them take 1 square, so they'll set up in a small formation. Erica and Spike in the front shoulder to shoulder, and Eber directly behind Spike.
Ranged Attack versus the closest swarm.
Erica [roll0]
Eber [roll1]

Erica takes the fire bomb from her belt and nods to Eber.

"Bombs away!"

Together they throw their firebombs at the creatures.

Kaptin Keen
2014-11-20, 05:32 AM
Trailing flames and smoke, the alchemists bombs sail towards the swarms. Ericas is on point, shattering dead center of the closests swarm and showering burning oil everywhere. Ebers misses, but miraculously bounces before shattering, and actually hitting anyways.

Erica's bomb: [roll0]
Eber's bomb: [roll1]
Each bomb does an additional 1 point of spash damage to the adjacent swarms.

Initiative, swarms: [roll2]

I rolled some very lucky scatter for Eber btw =)

Ready for round one - ding!

Kaptin Keen
2014-11-20, 05:43 AM
They win initiative - so here they come.

The fire crackles and spits, and hundreds of little creatures die instantly. However, the rest surge toward Erica and Co.

The swarm you hit takes secondary damage at the start of it's turn. So:
Damage: [roll0]

There's every chance that it doesn't survive that. But I can't see the roll yet, so I'm going to assume a bit, and only attack for the two remaining swarms below.

As their agitation of the tiny creeps increases, the haze that surrounds them swirls and shifts - then, as the swarms reach you and attack, it pulses blood red. Pain surges through you, blood seeps from your pores, and your vision blurs. The creatures swarm over you, and the damage you suffer is entirely disproportionate to the tiny scratches their claws can inflict on you.

Swarms do automatic damage. The swarms engulf Erica and Eber, who both take 2 points of con damage, plus [roll1] points of damage.

Techwarrior
2014-12-10, 04:05 PM
Erica swears mentally as she recoils from the swarms.

Must be poison. Haven't felt this woozy since I got bit by a giant spider...

She knew that she wouldn't be able to survive much more from that bite. She just didn't have enough blood in her body to let these things be taking it so freely, hopefully she won't need to call upon her heritage quite yet, but if they don't dispose of these things soon, it'll be very necessary.

"Keep up the good work Eber, use your torch to keep them at bay. Spike. Attack!"

Them moving into our squares should provoke an Attack of Opportunity, per the swarm rules. I'll roll those here. Being in formation we should be able to focus on one, which I'd like to do until it disperses. If the Swarm is made of Tiny creatures, Spike's Bite still does half damage (since it does Piercing, Slashing, and Bludgeoning) if the Swarm is made up of Diminutive or Fine creatures though, he doesn't do any damage and really just gets a mouthful of gross.

Erica (Torch AoO)
Attack [roll0] (clubs aren't finesse, which reduces her to hit)
Damage [roll1] Fire

Eber (Torch AoO)
Attack [roll2]
Damage [roll3] Fire

Spike (Bite AoO)
Attack [roll4]
Damage [roll5] halved.

For our actions, just a standard 5 ft. step back from the swarms so that they have to move back into our squares to attack followed by a melee attack from everyone.

Erica (Torch)
Attack [roll6]
Damage [roll7] Fire

Eber (Torch)
Attack [roll8]
Damage [roll9] Fire

Spike (Bite AoO)
Attack [roll10]
Damage [roll11] Piercing, Slashing, and Bludgeoning. Halved.

HP's: Erica 5/8 (Con 12), Eber 6/9 (Con 13), Spike 13/13 (Con 15). Reduced Constitution has been taken into account in current and max HP's.

Got fired. I've relocated and should hopefully be starting a new job Friday or Monday. That'll at least get me to the library regularly, but this is all tentative possibility at the moment. I'll definitely be able to get a post up Friday either way, but not sure when the next one after might be.

Kaptin Keen
2014-12-10, 06:06 PM
You're pretty sure it's not poison, but negative energy.

I'll work through the mechanics and re-post in a little while.

As the swarms rush you, you make return attacks against them - doing some damage, and Spike, lucky guy, even scores a critical hit, grabbing a mouthful of little critters in one go.

Now, one swarm died already from the fire bombs. Another disperses as you all rain death down upon it. Then you step back, and wail away at the last one, doing considerable damage. As you step back, it rushes to do damage, once again doing automatic damage.

You all lose another point of con, and take 1d3 points of damage. The swarm is already almost dispersed.

Edit: Can't use the dice roller in an edit. Tsk. I'll roll off-screen: 2 points of damage.