PDA

View Full Version : Identifying spells without spellcraft

Gabrosin
2014-03-18, 08:06 AM
Is there a magic item which will let a character with no ranks in spellcraft identify spells that are being cast? If there's no precedent, what would be a fair cost for such an effect?

Darrin
2014-03-18, 11:49 AM
Is there a magic item which will let a character with no ranks in spellcraft identify spells that are being cast? If there's no precedent, what would be a fair cost for such an effect?

Hmm. Maybe a Ring of Spell Battle (12000 GP, MIC)? The item description says it informs you of all spellcasting within 60', and then says you can attempt a Spellcraft check to identify. Well, there's nothing in the item description that says you have to have ranks in Spellcraft to start with, so... specific trumps general?

Diarmuid
2014-03-18, 01:04 PM
That item would let you know that casting was occurring, but not what was being cast.

Gabrosin
2014-03-18, 01:52 PM
Saw the Ring of Spell Battle, but it's not quite what I was hoping for. My character has no ranks in spellcraft and won't be getting any. It's a Warblade with Moment of Perfect Mind, which I can only use once a round before I have to refresh it; it would be nice to force the DM to tell me what spell's coming my way so I know whether to use the maneuver. If I have items giving me immunities to the negative consequences, or it's something I can Iron Heart Surge away, I'd rather let that spell hit me and save the MoPM maneuver for something worse (like a domination spell that turns me on my party).

Edit: I suppose I could combine Ring of Spell Battle with an item that gives me a Spellcraft bonus, but it starts to get awfully expensive for what I considered to be a somewhat marginal ability.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-18, 01:54 PM
There's always the hard way: experience. Get hit with enough spells and survive, and you'll start being able to ID them, if not by name, then certainly by look and effect. :smallbiggrin:

TheOOB
2014-03-18, 05:47 PM
There's always the hard way: experience. Get hit with enough spells and survive, and you'll start being able to ID them, if not by name, then certainly by look and effect. :smallbiggrin:

That's called gaining spellcraft ranks

MadGreenSon
2014-03-18, 05:49 PM
That's called gaining spellcraft ranks

Killjoy:smalltongue:

But I suppose you're right. Sorta the hard knocks method of getting Spellcraft ranks, though.

Rebel7284
2014-03-18, 06:54 PM
Mage's Spectacles soulbind sort of counts as a magic item...