PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

doliemaster
2007-02-03, 04:56 AM
I'm thinking of buying Baldur's Gate 2, from a store at a cheap price and I was wondering if it's worth it?

Maxymiuk
2007-02-03, 05:08 AM
Yes. Absolutely. The graphics are nowhere near what you get in games such as NWN2, but BG2 has one of the best, most immersive stories for any D&D cRPG ever released.

Not to mention that once you play it, you'll be able to understand half of the jokes on these forums. :smallamused:

InaVegt
2007-02-03, 05:25 AM
Not to mention that once you play it, you'll be able to understand half of the jokes on these forums. :smallamused:
The other half's from monthy python, in case you wondered.

doliemaster
2007-02-03, 05:26 AM
thanks I was really wondering about that, now I've just gotta hope the computer has enough room on it!

Khantalas
2007-02-03, 07:02 AM
Go for the unnecessary files, Doliemaster! GO FOR THE UNNECESSARY FILES!

The Dirge
2007-02-03, 07:06 AM
BG2 is one of the best games I have ever played. BTW if you are evil most of the main quest have some very interesting solutions...

Om
2007-02-03, 04:43 PM
BGII isn't the best game ever. Nor is it the best cRPG ever (stand up Planescape). Despite these glaring flaws it'd still an excellent game and well worth your cash. The Throne of Bhaal expansion pack is also good.

doliemaster
2007-02-03, 08:10 PM
Oh I just got it it has those shadows of arhm 1-4 and the throne of bhaal final chapter, $10.00 bucks for it!

Lothorus
2007-02-03, 08:48 PM
Looks like you got the whole package, Doliemaster. Good luck with the game!

The Evil Thing
2007-02-04, 08:08 AM
thanks I was really wondering about that, now I've just gotta hope the computer has enough room on it!
At 4 gigs (or is it 2), your computer should be fine for a full install. Please don't do anything but that as the loading times can be inhuman otherwise.

Oh, and suffer your way through the Dungeon, it is not a measure of the full game by any means. :smallwink:

Dragor
2007-02-04, 08:38 AM
I didn't really get into BG1, and I want to play that before starting BG2. It just wasn't my thing. (BLASPHEMY!)

It's extremely hard conpared to the NWN games. Good luck :smallsmile:

Ebon_Drake
2007-02-04, 08:40 AM
Oh I just got it it has those shadows of arhm 1-4 and the throne of bhaal final chapter, $10.00 bucks for it!

That's an absolute bargain, IMO. I'd have paid double that for it and still would've felt I'd got it cheaply. Hopefully you'll enjoy it, but even if you don't then its not exactly broken the bank.

EDIT: Make sure you install the official ToB patch (http://www.bioware.com/games/throne_bhaal/support/patches/), though. There are a couple of issues with the game that make it annoying/impossible to play without it (namely, the "unable to talk, NPC appears busy" problem.) You won't need the SoA patch, since that's included with Throne of Bhaal, but the ToB one is definitely a good idea.

Dragor
2007-02-04, 08:54 AM
Well, I managed to get all the BG games for £10 in GAME. I simply leapt on that, because I'd heard all about them...

Dark
2007-02-04, 09:23 AM
I'm in a similar situation as Dragor. I have a boxed set with Baldur's Gate, Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate II, and Throne of Baal. I started playing Baldur's Gate but it didn't appeal to me at all, and I gave up on it somewhere in the first big town.

I've heard a lot of good things specifically about Baldur's Gate II, though. Would it be a good idea to just play that, and skip the first one entirely? To what extent does BG2 assume that I've played the first one? And to what extent does it "spoil" the first one, in case I get hooked and want to go back and play that anyway?

Oh, and what's the most fun character class to play? :) For the first BG I made a cleric, maybe that's why it was boring.

Om
2007-02-04, 09:30 AM
I've heard a lot of good things specifically about Baldur's Gate II, though. Would it be a good idea to just play that, and skip the first one entirely? To what extent does BG2 assume that I've played the first one? And to what extent does it "spoil" the first one, in case I get hooked and want to go back and play that anyway?You'll miss out on the backstory but the intro does a pretty good job of bringing you up to date. Probably the biggest loss would be the the downgrading of BG1 characters (Imoen, Minsc, etc) that you interact with in the sequel to the status of mere NPCs.

For what its worth I prefer the original game. The story and writing are far better, as is the nature of combat (party v party). Unfortunately the restriction to low levels is a real pain in the neck.

Timberwolf
2007-02-04, 12:11 PM
BG 2 is great. I played a fighter / thief and thoroughly enjoyed it *contemplates reinstalling*

doliemaster
2007-02-04, 04:01 PM
I've played it a little and how do I do the rest?
I'm bad at controling multiple characters in real time so can the computer control the non-me party and why do my mage spells not kill the phantom things?

rabish12
2007-02-04, 05:40 PM
I've played it a little and how do I do the rest?
There's a rest button, it should be mentioned and shown in the manual. I think the picture on it's an eyelid. Can't use it when there are enemies nearby.

I'm bad at controling multiple characters in real time so can the computer control the non-me party
I think so, but it's been a while. You'll probably want to get used to using the Pause button (spacebar) so that you can control them without having to panic through everything.

Lothorus
2007-02-04, 11:37 PM
I didn't really get into BG1, and I want to play that before starting BG2. It just wasn't my thing. (BLASPHEMY!)

I had that same problem, but I wasn't nearly as patient as you (I ended up playing BG2 first). But now there is a solution!

Check out this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31378) for some information on how to run the original Baldur's Gate on the BG2 engine. The game is much more playable that way, and easier to get into. I've found that it isn't the game its self that's hard to play; it's actually the clunky interface. This solves that problem (and lots of others) and is worth a shot if you have the free disk space.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-02-04, 11:54 PM
BG 2 is great. If you do every last side quest (and you'll never find them all by yourself, you'd need a guide or walkthrough) it takes roughly 300 hours to complete. And it has Minsk and Boo. That right there makes the game good. If you want to get it, I'd brush up on 2.0 mechanics as that's what the game uses. I started playing D&D in 3.0 and a friend lent me the game. I had no clue about the THACO thing at first. You can imagine the look on my face when he told me I wanted low numbers for my AC. The online play in BG 2 has a lot to be desired though. If you want to do that, I'd keep playing NWN for it. But other than that, the game is absolutely phenominal.

Logic
2007-02-05, 08:32 AM
Worth about as much as opposable thumbs.
Would you trade $10 dollars for opposable thumbs?