PDA

View Full Version : The necromancer needs YOU to help him!

D20ragon
2014-03-18, 08:36 AM
So, I'm playing a solo game, my character is a Gnome Dread Necromancer.
Because it is solo, the Dm kindly made a few alterations to his summon undead spell, namely that it lasts until I dismiss it or the zombies or skeletons summoned die.
He is at level 2 at present, and recently enslaved a tribe of Dwarven bandits by playing them against each other.
The Dm gave me leave to rework his sheet from the ground up, as long as I keep his race, class etc.
Stats are rolled, sadly, but that's all right.

So any tips? Because I'm going solo I don't mind some cheese, but nothing game breaking.
I'd appreciate anything you've got to offer, really.

Brookshw
2014-03-18, 08:43 AM
Well, hard to go wrong with corpse crafting and fell drain if you're planning on minioning it up.

Psyren
2014-03-18, 08:43 AM
Have you read the Dread Necro Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214212)?

Ansem
2014-03-18, 08:49 AM
Well, hard to go wrong with corpse crafting and fell drain if you're planning on minioning it up.
Doesn't stack with DN's Undead Mastery so if you go undead creating anyway and not go DN, Corpse Crafter isn't worth it either as you'll suck at it anyway :P

D20ragon
2014-03-18, 08:51 AM
Any tips for the moment though? I know optimizing is hard at low levels, but sadly, low levels are when you are most likely to bite the dust.

Brookshw
2014-03-18, 09:53 AM
Doesn't stack with DN's Undead Mastery so if you go undead creating anyway and not go DN, Corpse Crafter isn't worth it either as you'll suck at it anyway :P

True enough though the retribution feat always give me a chuckle.

Segev
2014-03-18, 09:58 AM

Not entirely true. The hp stack. So if you want later feats in the tree, the feat is still +2 hp/HD for your minions.

OldTrees1
2014-03-18, 10:09 AM
So any tips? Because I'm going solo I don't mind some cheese, but nothing game breaking.
I'd appreciate anything you've got to offer, really.

I forget, is this the necromancer than will not be animating undead? Not that that matters since your largest pool is the Command Undead spell.

Set aside 3 2nd level slots per day (or 6 1st level slots if you have versatile spellcaster) and save your money for eventually getting a least chain metamagic rod.

Until you have enough money for the rod, this will give you 3 * caster level mindless undead minions (use the best you have encountered/paid to be animated).
Once you have the rod, this will be 3 * caster level * (caster level + 1) mindless undead minions.

Fable Wright
2014-03-18, 10:19 AM
Tomb-Tainted soul lets you use Charnel Touch on yourself for infinite heals. Remember to boost Concentration so that you can cast defensively in melee combat; at low levels, there is very little that Charnel Touch+Inflict Light Wounds will not take a chunk out of. Remember that you can hold the charge, as well, and consider casting IFL before combat and then just making a regular touch attack against your first target in a fight. I'd look into some Savage Species race-changing rituals, if you could, because Illumian+Naenhoon+Metamagic tends to be very nice for Dread Necros.

Also, Versatile Spellcaster. This should be your first feat after Tomb-Tainted Soul. You can lose two spell slots to cast any spell you know one level higher than those slots, and Dread Necromancers know their whole list at level one. (It's powerful, but not very cheesy.)

Ansem
2014-03-18, 10:23 AM
Not entirely true. The hp stack. So if you want later feats in the tree, the feat is still +2 hp/HD for your minions.

Yes because +2hp/HD is SOOO worth a feat when you can take soo many other better things.

Slipperychicken
2014-03-18, 11:38 AM
Yes because +2hp/HD is SOOO worth a feat when you can take soo many other better things.

When that multiplies across all your minions and all their HD, it's a really good deal. Also, you're missing the +4 strength, which translates to +2 to hit and damage. It lets them beatstick much better than normal, which is useful in actual games.

(Un)Inspired
2014-03-18, 11:46 AM
If your summon spells last indefinitely I would take a couple days and spend all my spell slots casting different levels of summon undead.

Now you've got yourself a fun little army.

D20ragon
2014-03-18, 11:52 AM
Nah, they just last until I use the spell again to summon something else.
Sorry, should've cleared that up.
But versatile spell caster seems worth it, I'll pick it up.
And is it just me or is it kinda stupid(fluff wise) that the Dread necro gets animate dead only at 6th level?
Balance wise, it makes sense, but otherwise it does not.
I'll just pick up fell animate. Oh! Also, I should grab some flaws.
Any suggestions?

OldTrees1
2014-03-18, 02:30 PM
And is it just me or is it kinda stupid(fluff wise) that the Dread necro gets animate dead only at 6th level?
Any suggestions?

Yes it is stupid. Death Master is a necromancer base class with a better designed necromancy spell list. Including Animate Dead as a 2nd level spell. Your DM might just let you add the 2nd level version to your list.

Or your DM might require you use your 4th level Advanced Learning (since Versatile Spellcaster has you know 3rd level spells at 4th level).