PDA

View Full Version : Was it a waste?

doliemaster
2007-02-03, 05:33 AM
I recently bought the 2nd AD&D gameing set Dragon's Mountain for $20.00
not counting tax, with no missing pieces, did I get fleced and is is a good 3.5 campaign?

Crilley
2007-02-03, 06:58 AM
Im not entirely sure what you're trying to say here. I'd love to play 2nd ed, so I'd say THAT wasnt a waste, but you kinda lost me at "fleced"

Zincorium
2007-02-03, 07:22 AM
I'd say it was intended to be 'fleeced', as in 'I thought I was getting something better than what I recieved'.

Generally, it's almost prohibitively difficult to transfer a 2nd ed adventure straight over into 3.5. So many things are different, such as encounters being more or less difficult than they were, and just the entire manner in which adventures were written, it's a lot easier to loosely base an entirely new adventure off that one, using the maps and fluffy parts, and just putting in reasonable mechanics that fit what you envision the adventure as.

Matthew
2007-02-03, 07:29 AM
I'm pretty sure he means fleeced, which is to be cheated. There are two seperate questions, the first being was he cheated, the second being whether when adapted to 3.x it would be fun or not. By way of answer, I would say that you have not been cheated; $20.00 seems a reasonable price to pay for that boxed set and I wish I had the opportunity (and spare means)to purchase a complete version. With regard to the second question, I have heard that it converts to 3.x okay, but I am by no means certain. Best thing to do is go through the boxed set and evaluate each encounter by replacing the Monsters with 3.x versions and then compare the resulting Challenge Ratings and Encounter Levels to expected party strength. I don't know how much treasure is in Dragon Mountain, so you might need to check how it compares to the 3.x expected wealth and Monster Treasure.

[Edit] Beaten to the punch...

daggaz
2007-02-03, 07:33 AM
The Srd has a great encounter calculator btw...

http://www.d20srd.org/encounterCalculator.htm

Swordguy
2007-02-03, 09:38 AM
You're going to be working on converting it over to 3.x for a LONG time. That thing is HUGE. (Took my PCs 5 months of 1 or 2 sessions a week gaming to get through it.)

RandomNPC
2007-02-03, 04:14 PM
it's a fun game, what i do with it is i check out what the book says is going to happen and i toss in something appropreate. my copy does not include monster stat pages (supposedly it came with a few pages to add to a three ring binder style MM) so for the living steel and suezule (spelling issues big time) i just used something else, same with the stone snakes and blind monkey creatures.

i would have paid twenty for mine if it came with monster stat pages, but it was free from my aunt so i didnt have to. my cousin woulda burned it before giving it away, but he was done with it so she stepped in.

anywho, the main idea is the kobolds in the mountain, you need to make them a little more difficult, but remember there's a ton of them. for all the humanoids outside the mountain the stats are abut right, level wise and whatnot. it's a great adventure if you can get the kobolds right, remember they are cowards, but for some reason (book says so) when they outnumber the party 2 to 1 they fight. well they fight dirty, and use traps, and fight dirty, and use poison, and fight dirty.

ok, i wana rant and rant about the game, if you fell the need for a longer rant than this pm me, but its a good game. have at it.

Matthew
2007-02-03, 06:52 PM
Just rant here. Do I recall correctly that a Rust Monster ate one of your Player Characters' Sword?

doliemaster
2007-02-03, 08:07 PM
Thanks and due to short time I was making Thaco AC and Ac atk bonus, but that was because I had 2 days to work on it.

Zincorium
2007-02-04, 01:50 AM
Thanks and due to short time I was making Thaco AC and Ac atk bonus, but that was because I had 2 days to work on it.

That's going to affect combat more than a mite, I'd think, since high level monsters would have weak ACs and absolutely never, ever hit.

Matthew
2007-02-04, 07:24 AM
A very strange approach. Why not just convert normally?

THAC0 20 = BAB 0
THAC0 19 = BAB 1
THAC0 18 = BAB 2
THAc0 17 = BAB 3
etc...

and

AC 10 = 10
AC 09 = 11
AC 08 = 12
AC 07 = 13
etc...

You shouldn't really need to do this at all, if you simply replace the Monsters with 3.x equivalents. You have to remember that all the power levels have changed and scaled. A 2.x Kobold is no match for a 3.x Kobold, but niether is a 2.x Adventurer a match for a 3.x Adventurer, so it should balance out.

Grey Paladin
2007-02-04, 08:33 AM
Because the highest AC possible in 2E is 27 and THAC0 is much lower then AB? 2E was generaly very low powered and direct conversion will not work.

(and actually, a 2E adventurer is more then a match to a 3E one, My PnP Kensai kit guy would do 40 damage a hit at level 9, and had 3 attacks per a round, and he was unoptimized and had NO MAGIC ITEMS, not to mention 2E wizards had Shadow Beast as a level 4 spell)

Matthew
2007-02-04, 09:16 AM
Sure, but that doesn't explain why he used the approach that he did. I wasn't advocating a direct conversion in any case.

Your Kensai sounds optomised to me; he also sounds odd, since no such Kit appears to exist in the Complete Books; Oriental Adventures is the only place I found a Kensai Sub Class. What book is the Kensai Kit in? Was he a Two Weapon Fighter? That is the only way he could have three attacks per round by Level 9 I know of. How on earth did he reach 40 Damage a hit? One example hardly makes a case for the general corpus of (A)D&D Adventurers.

JadedDM
2007-02-04, 05:26 PM
Because the highest AC possible in 2E is 27

Whaaaa? The best AC in 2E is -10.

Matthew
2007-02-04, 05:59 PM
You know, I missed that aspect of what Grey Paladin said. Further, BAB and THAC0 Scale almost exactly the same [i.e. Warrior Level 20 has THAC0 1, which equals Base Attack Bonus 19].