PDA

View Full Version : Weird character building

TomPliss
2014-03-18, 11:01 AM
Hey guys,

I'll DM a game in a week or so, and am preparing characters for my players. They already have played 4e and most of them want to try something new, so I try to build original characters, usually from weird features available in dragon magazines and such.
The characters aren't totally optimized, and start at level 4. As it is a one-shot and as I am the DM, I may nerf/buff a power sightly (you'll see in the examples below).

Here are some of the ideas I came up with :

1/ a Warforged Artificer of Gond, using the feats from DM403 (and the traps powers in it too). Heavy focus on Int and Con, fluffed as a crafter more than a mage (follower of Gond, so it's pretty ovious). I nerf Magic Weapon so that the buff affect only 1 adjacent ally.

2/ a Dwarf Ranger (beastmaster), based on the non-errata-ed Throw and Stab & Marauder's Rush combo. Using a boar as his animal companion with the beast rider feat and wearing a chainmail because he has a heavy focus on Str and Con, being in melee most of the time and getting hit by OAs on purpose (to charge more).

3/ a Human Seeker based on the Bogtangle Heritage. Using the blowgun as his weapon, inflicting many debuffs (trying to get AoE slow to immobilize a target easily with the bogtangle power). The out-of-combat poison and alchemy-oriented fluff can be nice with this one.

4/ a (StormSoul) Genasi (StormHeart) Warden, based on lightning, area, and/or pull powers and feats. This one is not here to tank that much but more centered around damage, and a nova with the racial power.

5/ a (human) fighter based on the Brawler style. I have less details on this one for now, but the intent is not to use any weapon but to get the best controls thanks to Grappling attacks and this sort of thing.

6/ a (more classic) Dragonborn Barbarian, using the leader-oriented powers and feats and the breath enhancer feats.

7/ a Gnome Seeker, follower of Sehanine, using the feats and powers that boost his stealth.

8/ a Gnome Wizard, based on the Illusionnist powers and feats. Most of the powers come from the Arcane Power books, combined with the "Illusionary Stealth" feat to try and get a nice controller that has powers useful outside "real" combat.

This is what I've got, right now. I've read the "fun character ideas" thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330344), but haven't got a real character from it, being at work. Don't hesitate to tell me anything relevant to those examples (a feature ora power that may fit the concept, a advice about it's optimization level,...), or even post some more base concepts ;)

PS: I try to avoid psionic characters because most of my players have played less than 10 games with D&D (or even P&P RPG).

Inevitability
2014-03-18, 11:25 AM
I love this kind of builds. Something I made once:
Hamadryad Shaman|Sentinel Druid hybrid, with a spirit companion, animal companion and fey beast companion. All the pieces fit together surprisingly well, fluff-wise.

Another one: A melee wizard. He went Intelligence/Constitution, and had pretty high defenses. 20/17/17/17 at 2nd level. Used lots of close powers.