PDA

View Full Version : Good class and build for breaking into psionics

G.Cube
2014-03-18, 11:40 AM
What would be the easiest class to learn psionics with, and what would be a simple, effective build for that class? Power level really isn't a concern, as I play with a low op group.

hemming
2014-03-18, 12:42 PM
I would say the psychic warrior or psion are the easiest to play - soulblade/bow is just as easy but I never really felt like the class had that special 'psionic-I-blast-you-with-my-mind' je ne sais quoi

Is there a certain flavor/feel you are going for with this character? Any additional input on where you are looking to go with this guy?

Segev
2014-03-18, 12:46 PM
Go with psion to learn psionics as a system. It's the class that was designed first, and around which the majority of it is balanced.

G.Cube
2014-03-18, 12:53 PM
Z
I would say the psychic warrior or psion are the easiest to play - soulblade/bow is just as easy but I never really felt like the class had that special 'psionic-I-blast-you-with-my-mind' je ne sais quoi

Is there a certain flavor/feel you are going for with this character? Any additional input on where you are looking to go with this guy?

Nope, just wanted a class that was an easy to use psionic based set up, just to get a feel before I go doing thorough psionic builds. I've read that the Psion is basically the psionic version of a wizard, which I wouldn't consider very easy to play. Any truth to this statement, or are people exaggerating? I basically would like something that would allow me to get a feel for psionics without having to flip through pages looking up effects, powers, and such every time I take my turn.

RedMage125
2014-03-18, 12:58 PM
More accurately, Psion is the Psionic version of a Sorcerer. You have limited powers known, but you have more versatility than a sorcerer in how your power usage per day is distributed. So as soon as you learn level 3 powers, you COULD blow all your PP on level 3 powers, and never use any level 1s. OF course, augmentation means that low-level powers remain "sort of" competitive at higher levels, for higher cost. Some powers scale better than others.

hemming
2014-03-18, 01:00 PM
You are not misinformed on the psion - the least amount of work for you as a player is soul knife.

I still recommend psychic warrior though, because the soul knife doesn't get to manifest anything other than mind blades - which is too little work and too light on psionic flavor for me. The psychic warrior only has a limited ability to manifest, so its really not too cumbersome while still giving you some psion flavor IMO

blackspeeker
2014-03-18, 01:11 PM
Even though a Psion ifs pretty much the equivalent of a wizard or a sorcerer out is the best class to learn how to play a manifester because there is nothing else to fiddle with, pretty much the same with the psychic warrior. It ask depends on whether you'd rather be more like a gish or more like a wizard.

Any other manifester would be a little more difficult to learn, the wilder has to few powers known and a crazy gimmick. Anything from complete Psion ads too much weirdness.

G.Cube
2014-03-18, 03:08 PM
Hmm, sounds like maybe PsyWar.ideal so far. So what would a basic mild op build for one maybe look like?

What are the main differences between PsyWar and PsyRogue?

hemming
2014-03-18, 03:29 PM
from a psionics perspective, Rogue abilities with a slower progression of powers known and power level

- psychic warrior gets one new power every level and advances in max power level known every three character levels

rogue gets 3 psionic powers every four levels (no new power at levels 4, 8, 12, 16 and 20) and an increase in max power level known every four

Edit: bonus feats from psychic warrior can also help your psionics, unless you really want sneak attack, trapfinding and evasion as class abilities

CyberThread
2014-03-18, 04:36 PM
soulknifes are not psionic, they are just magical weapon wanna bes.

Baroknik
2014-03-18, 05:52 PM
I personally think Ardent may be the easiest to learn psionics with. If you aren't worried so much about op-fu just use it straight out of the box without the web enhancements. Choosing a mantle makes it pretty easy then -- no sifting through powers to figure out what you want!

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-18, 06:10 PM
Psionic warrior. Great class. For a mid op build, I would consider the following.

Elan Psiwar 5 / Crystal Master (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625d) 10 / Slayer 5

You loose 3 levels of psionic manifesting (spellcaster levels), but you are first and foremost a melee fighter, a psionic character second.

Expansion is your power of choice.

Starting feats - Psicrystal Affinity. Psionic Weapon.
2nd level feat - Power Attack
3rd level feat - Psicrystal containmen

Crystal master will give you great defenses like DR6/- and +6 to saves and AC. It also has some nice boosts to strength, con, and wisdom.

Psionic meditation is great to pick up when you have a spare feat.

You get large and smash things while your crystal master defense boosts make you very hard to kill. If your DM is mean, share pain with your psicrystal for half damage. (pick it up through the expanded knowledge feat)

Urpriest
2014-03-18, 06:15 PM
For Psychic Warrior...you're reasonably experienced with non-psionic melee, yes? Generally there's a way to do most of the standard melee tricks with a Psychic Warrior, so probably the best option is to pick a trick you're comfortable with and we can tell you powers and feats that support it.