PDA

View Full Version : Bringing the A game

Azoth
2014-03-18, 01:42 PM
I have seen The A Game Paladin, and a few other theorized builds. So I was wondering if the members of the playground can accomplish that same level optimization to the other classes that don't get to shine often.

I propose that we try to create the most optimized builds for classes below Tier 3 with a few ground rules/guidelines:

1) All builds must be pure 20 levels of the base class to be optimized. No multiclassing or PRCing out.

2) 32 Point Buy.

3) 2 flaws/traits maximum.

4) No ACF chaining.

5)No Templates or Savage Progressions for races.

6) Try to keep LA and use of Dragon Magazine to a minimum.

The idea with these guidelines is to show the power of the optimization caused by the class itself and feat selection used with it. I don't think it is in the spirit of this thought exercise to rely heavily on a race or template to carry the build. I also don't feel it is in the spirit to rely on another class' ACF by chain traiding ACFs meant for a class other than the one you are using.

Kurald Galain
2014-03-18, 01:44 PM
I have seen The A Game Paladin,

But for those of us that haven't, please provide a link?

Kazudo
2014-03-18, 01:47 PM
Typically, ACF chaining isn't specifically RAW, either, since most ACFs alter the base class, not just the class feature except in few cases (using Druidic Avenger with the Whirling rage variant, for example, works IIRC while using Wildshape Ranger to get the shapeshifter ACF doesn't). Just to point that out.

GeekGirl
2014-03-18, 01:48 PM
A Game Paladin (http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3407376) For those who haven't seen

Azoth
2014-03-19, 11:16 AM
I haven't finished it out yet, but I think for the A Game Ranger I have a decent chassis.

ACFS: Arcane Hunter, Trap Expert, Mystic Ranger, Shooting Star substitution levels, Wildshape ACF.

You give up 1 favored enemy, track, and endurance to gain Trapfinding, Disable Device, LVL 0-5 spells, 1 bonus 1st, 2nd, 3rd,+4th level spell slot, the ability to learn and prep wizard spells in your ranger spell slots, +10ft movement speed, and wildshape as a druid but limited to small and medium forms.

I went with Human for the race for a feat and extra skills.

32 PB went STR/DEX 14 Con 12 Int 16 Wis 14 Cha8

Feats so far:
Flaw: educated
Flaw: Darkstalker
Human: wild cohort
1: natural bond
3: Knowledge Devotion
6: Sword of the Arcane Order
9: Natural Spell
12: Draconic Wild Shape
15:
18:Practiced spellcaster

Skills were going to be Maxed: Hide, Move Silent, Spot, Search, Disable Device, Kn: Nature, Arcana, The Planes, Local.

Use the rest between Listen, Kn: Religion, Dungeoneering, and any skill tricks you want.

Spells: Most of your slots will be used for buffs be it long duration or swift action. Plus side is you have CL16 so with a few items you can get to 20 and get some nice durations/bonuses from wiz buffs.

The cohort was to be a Wartrained Dire Phynxkin with Dragon wings, draconic aura senses, improved dragon wings, draconic aura swiftness, double draconic aura. This would allow it to follow you and continuously give you +15ft to movement and +3 spot/listen/initiative.

Suppose you could drop the Phynxkin and just make a shocktrooper Fleshraker, but I felt that lacked style.

Any ideas for the last feat, or how to improve the power/versatility of this combo?