PDA

View Full Version : Reading Suggstion: Book of Hallowed Might

Jimp
2007-02-03, 07:43 AM
I recently picked up a copy of Book of Hallowed Might by Sword and Sorcerery. It's written by Monte Cook as a supplement for regular 3.5 games or his own arcana evolved (name check?) setting.
Anyone else have this book?
After reading it I have to say it was well worth the money. It has some nice information on playing divine casters and handling things like churches and inter-church relations. It offers some variant rules that I find interesting, though haven't play tested. It also offers some ideas on the problem of resurrection spells and including them without making them over accessible.
One of the best features was a revised alignment system using a scale from 1 to 9. It basically scales each extreme (good, evil, law, chaos) from 1 to 9 and you choose where you are on the chart. From there you can see what alignment you are. It details in the book about using the values to see which alignment you are, I don't want to go into detail here in case it's not OGC. This also adds a nice variant for prestige classes with alignment restrictions. For example, instead of just being plain evil for the assassin or blackguard classes you might need to be 4 evil for assassin and 6 evil for blackguard.
I haven't looked much at the spells and feats beyond a quick glance so I can't give much of an opinion on those. The rest of the book looks like a solid read though.

Matthew
2007-02-03, 06:38 PM
Sounds interesting. I might have a look for it.