PDA

View Full Version : Most uplifting song

Invisible Queen
2007-02-03, 07:56 AM
As contrapoint to that other thread, this is where you talk about happy songs. If you had to talk someone down from the ledge and all you could do was play a song, what's your choice?

Cheesy as it is, I'm partial to Creed's "Arms wide open", a light and delightful ballad about welcoming and change and joy and understanding and friendliness, inspired by a songwriter's finding out he was going to be a father.

Strengfellow
2007-02-03, 10:05 AM
The whole Flood album byThey Might Be Giants,
Whenever I put it on I cant help but smile.

Sewer_Bandito
2007-02-03, 10:43 AM
The Darkness's Hazel Eyes. Just the way they sing it makes me laugh everytime. Or possibly the Aquabat's I'm a Winner!

sun_tzu
2007-02-03, 02:21 PM
The more upbeat versions of "I need a Hero".
"The Touch".

Khantalas
2007-02-03, 02:34 PM
"I'll Sue Ya" by Yankovic.

Seriously, it reminds me that if something goes wrong in my life, I can sue it in the States. No questions asked.

Amotis
2007-02-03, 03:44 PM
"Waiting For Superman" By the Flaming Lips. Or you know...that ENTIRE happy-inflused album.

averagejoe
2007-02-03, 11:23 PM
Happy Happy Joy Joy. Happiest song ever. And, no, I don't apologise. :smalltongue:

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-03, 11:33 PM
Oh, man, is there anything more ridiculously cheerful than Aqua?

Dragonrider
2007-02-03, 11:37 PM
The whole Flood album byThey Might Be Giants,
Whenever I put it on I cant help but smile.

I was RAISED on They Might Be Giants. I go along singing with every song then get to a truly bizarre lyric and realize I've never even thought about it.

For me, it's the songs that are a little bizarre (such as TMBG's stuff) that bring a smile. A lot of stuff by Barenaked Ladies (excluding "Tonight is the Night I Fell Asleep at the Wheel") is good... If it makes me laugh, it makes me happy. Weird Al Yankovic tends to have that effect too. :smallbiggrin:

clarkvalentine
2007-02-04, 12:20 AM
A lot of stuff by Barenaked Ladies (excluding "Tonight is the Night I Fell Asleep at the Wheel") is good...

And even in that case they manage to take a song about dying in a car accident and make it quirky and, in a bizarre way, kind of fun.

Secret Master
2007-02-04, 02:11 AM
"The Mary Ellen Carter" by the late Stan Rogers. Always gets me going when I'm feeling down.

Or, if I'm angry about something and trying to get motivated to go do something about it, "March of Cambredth" by Heather Alexander.

ElfLad
2007-02-04, 02:14 AM
Good Day, Sunshine by The Beatles
Experimental Film by They Might Be Giants
Up And Up by Relient K
The Middle by Jimmy Eat World
Fool in the Rain and D'yer Mak'er by Led Zeppelin

Corlindale
2007-02-04, 07:26 AM
Sons & Daughters by The Decemberists

Hoppipolla by Sigur Rós

Olsen Olsen by Sigur Rós

Fight Test by The Flaming Lips

EDIT: Missed one.

Kids Will Be Skeletons by Mogwai (the title is not really true to the mood of the song, it's pretty much the only track on "Happy Songs for Happy People" which is actually happy)

SDF
2007-02-04, 02:26 PM
The Rising Tide by Sunny Day Real Estate is quite happy.

Roland St. Jude
2007-02-04, 02:54 PM
This one's a toughie, I think, because "uplifting" can mean so many different things. What song would get me in off a ledge? Probably none. What's good for a laugh? I'm partial to some old favorites like "The Scotsman" and "Wet Dream (The Fish Song)" and "Ozzy Fudd (The Wabbit Slayer)".

When I'm in a fine mood, but I want to get pumped up, something like Queen's "We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions" or "Princes of the Universe" can be very uplifting. Or maybe "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor or "Local God" by Everclear.

When I'm down and I want to feel uplifted? I don't know, I usually listen to sad songs when I'm down and snap out of it for reasons other than music.

Artega
2007-02-04, 04:34 PM
I've got two.

"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" by Eric Idle/Monty Python

"Centerfold" by The J. Geils Band (this one is fairly... yeah.)

GeeVee
2007-02-04, 05:41 PM
"Light and Day" by the Polyphonic Spree is so uplifting it makes you feel you're high in the sky.

Sisqui
2007-02-04, 07:07 PM
Alanis Morissette "Thank You"
Loreena McKennitt- "Dante's Prayer"
Oh yeah, and "St. Elmo's Fire" but I don't know who wrote it........

Khantalas
2007-02-04, 07:18 PM
"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" by Eric Idle/Monty Python

Of course, you haven't listened to that song if you haven't listened to it during the credits of As Good As It Gets.

Which is, by the way, a great movie.

twerk_face
2007-02-04, 07:39 PM
I was RAISED on They Might Be Giants. I go along singing with every song then get to a truly bizarre lyric and realize I've never even thought about it.

For me, it's the songs that are a little bizarre (such as TMBG's stuff) that bring a smile. A lot of stuff by Barenaked Ladies (excluding "Tonight is the Night I Fell Asleep at the Wheel") is good... If it makes me laugh, it makes me happy. Weird Al Yankovic tends to have that effect too. :smallbiggrin:

Oh man, loving BNL. "Brian Wilson" is fantastic. Hm. The most emotional (NOT depressing) for might be Soul to Squeeze by RHCP, but for uplifting....man. Thats a tough one. I love Boss of Me by TMBG, but i really think it would be No Rain, by Blind Melon. Either that, or The General, by Dispatch. Or Glycerine, by Bush. Or American Pie, by Don McLean. Or Slow Ride, by Foghat. Or In the Garage, by Weezer. Or End of the World, by R.E.M.. Arg, so hard to decide, there are so many! The list goes on and on. I actually have a playlist on my iPod. : )

Archmage
2007-02-05, 02:21 AM
Within the realm of popular music, I would declare a tie between "Good Lovin'" by the Rascals, "Back on My Feet Again" by the Babys, and "The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis and the News. If Broadway musicals are fair game, it would have to be "Suddenly Seymour" from Little Shop of Horrors.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-05, 03:49 AM
Power of Two, by the Indigo Girls.

So we're okay, we're fine,
Baby I'm here to stop your crying;
Chase all the ghosts from your head,
I'm stronger than the monster beneath your bed--
Smarter than the tricks played on your heart;
We'll look at them together then we'll take them apart.
Adding up the total of a love that's true,
Multiply life by the power of two.

And all the things that I am afraid of,
I'm not afraid to tell,
And if we ever leave a legacy, it's that we
Loved each other we-ell...

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQPd1RFwDgo

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-05, 04:37 AM
White and Nerdy by Weird Al.

Destro_Yersul
2007-02-05, 05:11 AM
Almost all of Wierd Al's stuff, especially "Weasel Stomping Day"

The Ballad of Sir Robin

Monty Python's Galaxy Song

GolemsVoice
2007-02-05, 08:26 AM
Hmm, all the heroic songs from Rhapsody. You can be a paladin today!

Sundog
2007-02-05, 09:07 AM
Queen's Who Wants to Live Forever? is my uplifter. Yeah, a bit strange; it's quite downbeat at the beginning. But then the second verse kicks in (But touch your tears, to my lips...) , and all of a sudden it's not a lament anymore, but a call of affirmation that we can overcome the obstacles of our lives and find what we're looking for.

Very cool.

zachol
2007-02-05, 12:22 PM
Close to the Edge, by Yes.

A bit long (18 min...), but it does whatever you'd want an "uplifting" song to do for me.

twerk_face
2007-02-05, 07:06 PM
Oh, I forgot. Don't Worry, Be Happy by Bobby McFarrin.

And Jack Johnson's entire library. Especialy Breakdown. Great, great song.

Obtree
2007-02-06, 09:26 PM
4 am by Our Lady Peace. Its kind of a tragic song, but to me its extremely intimate and romantic. thats uplifting.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-09, 03:54 PM
Uplifting as in "pulls me out of a bad mood and totally rocks" : "God of Elijah" by Disciple, "Fireproof" by Pillar,
Uplifting as in "always makes me smile even when I don't want to" : Almost anything by TMBG or Weird Al, "Here We Go Again" by OK Go
Uplifting as in "spiritually stimulating" : Anything by David Crowder Band, Charlie Hall or Matt Redman, "Mercy Lives Here" by The Choir

pestilenceawaits
2007-02-09, 04:33 PM
I think of uplifting songs as the ones you sing at the top of your lugs in your car alone and don't care if someone next to you sees you. my favorite is going the distance by Cake but the BNLs have a lot of them as well.

eggy_goodness
2007-02-09, 05:12 PM
... my favorite is going the distance by Cake...
Such an brilliant song. Funny how that style of music (I think it's called nerdcore, but I could be wrong) is normally so uplifting. But my vote has to go to Three Lions by the Lighting Seeds.

waspsmakejam
2007-02-09, 05:31 PM
If I just need a small lift, currently "Wooden Pints" by Korpiklaani (probably spelt band name wrong).

If I am very, very down, anything by Leonard Cohen. After a couple of hours I realise I'm not as miserable as Lenny.

Wippit Guud
2007-02-09, 06:49 PM
Numa numa!

Kelson
2007-02-11, 08:18 PM
"Geeks in Love" by Lemon Demon.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-02-11, 08:34 PM
Awesome forces by the aquabats. I don't know why exactly, but it makes me feel great. It's like audible morphine.

Portent
2007-02-11, 10:32 PM
Much to my deepest shame, the first time I heard "Forbidden Love" by Madonna, I found myself singing along to it. It's difficult not to, heh.

"Twilight Zone" by Golden Earring is a great one as well (edit: found on Youtube the music video for it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=YhkDBfBTKuw ). The rest of my collection is mostly depressing stuff, though "Ohne Ditch" by Rammstein sounds very inspirational for me (especially after seeing its 'mountain climbing' music video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9pkLDEEs20U )

Edit: Can't believe I forgot "Another Cry From Heaven."
Edit, yet again: Wow, I just found the artist for "Another Cry from Heaven", Robert Hazelton. Great song.

Amotis
2007-02-12, 11:35 AM
...and Carrot Rope by Pavement

Scorpina
2007-02-12, 11:43 AM
I find "Don't Let Me Die Still Wondering" and "With a Wonder and a Wild Desire" by Flogging Molly, as well as "Thank You" by Led Zeppelin and "A Story About a Girl" by Our Lady Peace particularly uplifting.

beholder
2007-02-12, 11:50 AM
"miss alissa" by the eagles of death metal
damn upbeat

WildBill
2007-02-12, 12:22 PM
I'm suprised no one has mentioned the 4th movement of Beethoven's 9th.
Or I would also go with the instrumental "Jessica," by the Allman Brothers. Dickie Betts wrote it watching his 6 month old daughter, Jessica, playing on the floor. It's one of the happiest songs ever. I always tell my daughter it's so happy because it's about how much daddys love their little girls and there are no words because there aren't any words for how much we love them :smallsmile:

Vespe Ratavo
2007-02-12, 01:00 PM
Anything on the Elite Beat Agents (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_Beat_Agents) soundtrack. Seriously, that game is about these agents who go around motivating people with music. Everything on the soundtrack is uplifting.

Sampi
2007-02-12, 01:07 PM
I'll second mr. Rogers and The Mary Ellen Carter.

Spartan_Samuel
2007-02-12, 06:31 PM
Break Through by Queen.

sktarq
2007-02-12, 06:56 PM
Bon Jovi's "It's My Life"
On a more sedate level Counting Crow's "A Long December"
Shoshtocovitch's (sp?) 9th is also right up there

Telonius
2007-02-13, 12:16 PM
A few of the songs that just make me feel good inside, in no particular order.
"Stand," by Blues Traveler. (Not the REM song of the same name).
"Roam," by the B-52s.
"Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes," by Paul Simon.
"Birdhouse in your Soul," by They Might Be Giants.

jkdjr25
2007-02-14, 12:13 PM
There are quite a few songs that help me feel better when I'm down.

Don't Stop Believing-Journey
Dying to Live-Johnny Land (starts out sounding down but is a major affirmation song)
I'm Gonna Live Forver-Billy Joe Shaver
Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy-Big & Rich
Wine Into Water-T. Graham Brown
Five O'Clock Somewhere-Alan Jackson and Jimmy Buffet

Yes I am a country fan :D

sktarq
2007-02-14, 12:31 PM
Oh yeah...Van Halen's - Jump

Darius Midnite
2007-02-14, 06:43 PM
The ecstasy of gold! A brilliant piece of music by Metallica.