View Full Version : Analysis Goblin witness in #271?

DanaK
2014-03-18, 06:38 PM
I'm confused why and how the court of Azure City summoned a goblin's ghost as a witness. The Order's trial was specific to a matter concerning the Sapphire Guard, notorious adversaries against the goblins. Not to mention the alignment differences. How would that sort of thing even work? What extraplanar force would you contact to set that court appearance up? I'm pretty sure the Dark One wouldn't just say "sure, go ahead" to a bunch of human clerics asking for one of his goblins to show up in their court… :small confused:

Edit: Just realized it would have been Mr. Jones and Rodriguez who set the court appearance up. The question still stands, though.

Gift Jeraff
2014-03-18, 06:46 PM
It's funny.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-03-18, 07:01 PM
Perhaps the goblin's personal hatred at the Order for killing him overruled his race's/deity's hatred for humans and general. And, now that you bring it up, where did the Demon Roach come from?

However, this is probably why Celia was so upset to see all those witnesses.

CaDzilla
2014-03-18, 07:35 PM
The Dark One might have just used it to gain a favour.

Anarion
2014-03-18, 10:43 PM
I don't care if you're a deity, a demigod, or a vengeful spirit bent on slaking your thirst for blood: if you get a summons from some lawyers, you answer it. :smallbiggrin:

JBiddles
2014-03-19, 11:58 AM
I don't care if you're a deity, a demigod, or a vengeful spirit bent on slaking your thirst for blood: if you get a summons from some lawyers, you answer it. :smallbiggrin:

This!

Mind if I sig that?

Anyway, Jones and Rodriguez probably used a scroll or something.

Anarion
2014-03-19, 02:29 PM
This!

Mind if I sig that?

Anyway, Jones and Rodriguez probably used a scroll or something.

Sure, go ahead.

skim172
2014-03-19, 11:32 PM
I'm more interested in Blackwing's surprise testimony for the prosecution. :smallannoyed:

Treacherous avian! And you expect us all to trust you now!?!?!?

Sir_Leorik
2014-03-21, 09:20 AM
I'm more interested in Blackwing's surprise testimony for the prosecution. :smallannoyed:

Treacherous avian! And you expect us all to trust you now!?!?!?

Maybe if a certain Elf Wizard had paid more attention to Blackwing at the time, Blackwing wouldn't have turned State's evidence. Plus, as a familiar, Blackwing might have been charged with being an accessory to anything V did; it was in Blackwing's interests to try and negotiate a plea deal, especially since Celia may not have realized he was supposed to be her client to. :smallamused:

Jay R
2014-03-21, 10:37 AM
If the Dark One had to approve it, there are several arguments that might have worked:

"We are prosecuting the people who killed all those goblins," for instance.

Better yet, "We're making a mockery of the Azure City justice system," or maybe, "Wanna help us flim-flam a bunch of paladins of the Sapphire Guard?"

But none of that was needed. In fact, the only powerful entity that had to approve it was Rich.

Sir_Leorik
2014-03-21, 10:53 AM
If the Dark One had to approve it, there are several arguments that might have worked:

"We are prosecuting the people who killed all those goblins," for instance.

Better yet, "We're making a mockery of the Azure City justice system," or maybe, "Wanna help us flim-flam a bunch of paladins of the Sapphire Guard?"

But none of that was needed. In fact, the only powerful entity that had to approve it was Rich.

The Dark One wouldn't need to approve it, unless the the spell in question was a Conjuration spell whose intent was to permanently steal one of his Petitioners. Instead, it was a spell which just asks a soul to appear and reply to questions. (It wasn't Speak with Dead, which is a Necromancy spell that grants a semblance of life to a corpse and allows the caster to ask the corpse questions.)

Jay R
2014-03-21, 01:20 PM
I think the real reason was to draw pictures of lots of different witnesses.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-03-21, 01:55 PM
I think the real reason was to draw pictures of lots of different witnesses.
Definitely. However, that will not stop people from coming up with in-story explanations.

Amphiox
2014-03-21, 02:26 PM
Since the whole trial was staged anyways, there's no reason to presume that the Goblin Ghost was not an illusion created by Eugene's Ghost.

Blackwing could also have been summoned as a hostile witness, and there may have been magically enforced injunctions that compelled him to tell the truth.

Sir_Leorik
2014-03-21, 02:49 PM
Blackwing could also have been summoned as a hostile witness, and there may have been magically enforced injunctions that compelled him to tell the truth.

I can't claim to understand the speech of sapient Ravens, but Blackwing seemed to reserve much of his hostility in that scene towards V. :smalltongue:

Amphiox
2014-03-21, 02:56 PM
I can't claim to understand the speech of sapient Ravens, but Blackwing seemed to reserve much of his hostility in that scene towards V. :smalltongue:

It could easily be a case of private resentment, which he would otherwise keep to himself out of loyalty to V, but which he is compelled to say publicly due to some truth-enforcing magic. Or even just magic that releases inhibitions so he starts blabbing out everything that pops into mind on a emotional level, which he would otherwise hold in.

Mith
2014-04-04, 11:52 AM
Or even just magic that releases inhibitions so he starts blabbing out everything that pops into mind on a emotional level, which he would otherwise hold in.

Isn't that a bit too Chaotic for the Sapphire Guard?

137beth
2014-04-04, 11:41 PM
Isn't that a bit too Chaotic for the Sapphire Guard?

Ah, but it isn't too Chaotic for Mr. Rodriguez! Just ask the giant boot.

DanaK
2014-04-05, 07:28 PM
The Dark One wouldn't need to approve it, unless the the spell in question was a Conjuration spell whose intent was to permanently steal one of his Petitioners. Instead, it was a spell which just asks a soul to appear and reply to questions. (It wasn't Speak with Dead, which is a Necromancy spell that grants a semblance of life to a corpse and allows the caster to ask the corpse questions.)

That makes sense. :)