PDA

View Full Version : Converted adventures?

ken-do-nim
2007-02-03, 08:47 AM
I have been thinking of running a "classics campaign", where I run converted 1E modules for 3.5. Wizards has conveniently already done White Plume Mountain and Tomb of Horrors in their downloads section, so I was thinking:

Against the Cult of the Reptile God 1 -> 2
Secret of Bone Hill 2 -> 3
Assassin's Knot 3 -> 4
Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan 4 -> 6
<might need a 6th>
White Plume Mountain 7 -> 9
<might need a 9th>
Tomb of Horrors 10 -> 12

So has anyone seen a conversion of any of the first 4 on the internet, or can recommend a 6th or 9th that they have seen converted?

I'd also like to run the Desert of Desolation series.

Amphimir Míriel
2007-02-03, 09:33 AM
Im personally working on a 3.5 version of (C3) The Lost Island of Castanamir, one of my favorite 1st ed modules.

I find that it's a nice introduction to roleplaying... A 1st level adventure where the bulk of the challenge is in solving puzzles, rather than hack&slash.

I'm working right now on creating the maps for the house, using tiles from dungeoneering.com, and I'm toning down the CR for some of the critters inside, since even in 1st edition I find that pitting first level characters against an Iron Golem (even if it's a 4 1/2 ft tall mini-golem) is a bit too much.

ken-do-nim
2007-02-03, 10:14 AM
Im personally working on a 3.5 version of (C3) The Lost Island of Castanamir, one of my favorite 1st ed modules.

I find that it's a nice introduction to roleplaying... A 1st level adventure where the bulk of the challenge is in solving puzzles, rather than hack&slash.

I'm working right now on creating the maps for the house, using tiles from dungeoneering.com, and I'm toning down the CR for some of the critters inside, since even in 1st edition I find that pitting first level characters against an Iron Golem (even if it's a 4 1/2 ft tall mini-golem) is a bit too much.

Yeah I own that one too. I like the encounters in the module, but it is one of those first edition modules without a proper ending, a problem shared with In Search of the Unknown, Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun, and actually even Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, I think.

Matthew
2007-02-03, 06:43 PM
I have quite a few 1.x and 2.x Adventures sitting around that I would like to see conversions of. From time to time people mention they are converting module X, but I am yet to actually convert any myself. I'm not all that sure it's worth it, as it's a lot less effort to just play the adventure under the old rules system. None too sure.

ken-do-nim
2007-02-03, 07:32 PM
I have quite a few 1.x and 2.x Adventures sitting around that I would like to see conversions of. From time to time people mention they are converting module X, but I am yet to actually convert any myself. I'm not all that sure it's worth it, as it's a lot less effort to just play the adventure under the old rules system. None too sure.

A lot less effort, yes, but do you actually know anybody willing to play earlier editions? I'm interested in having a Rules Cyclopedia campaign myself because I think those rules are simpler and will allow faster play, but I don't know if I'll find people for it. So my basic/expert/companion/masters adventures I hope to play in the intended system someday, but my 1E and 2E adventures need conversions. But like you said it is a lot of effort.

Matthew
2007-02-03, 07:45 PM
Sure, we play whatever edition, usually dictated by the adventure module to hand. We only play 3.x very irregularly, but it isn't that different from (A)D&D anyway, at least by the time of the Player's Option Series.