PDA

View Full Version : Stored Spell Character build help please?

unseenmage
2014-03-18, 08:22 PM
So I'm thinking about building a character who abuses Glyph Seal and Craft Contingent Spell (y'know, stuff that stores spells for later) for fun and profit.

Less looking to break the game, more looking to specialize in these two nice crunchy versatile game elements.

a) Do I have any other options besides Artificer or Wizard? I already have several Artificer builds going and Wizard is okay, I guess. Just curious if there's another option.

b) Was also considering going Necropolitan with Craft Contingent Spells that only affect living things stacked on him. Uses himself as a surprise spell delivery system.

Any other thoguhts/advice more than welcome. The starting level is being discussed but is likely between 6th and 8th.

unseenmage
2014-03-19, 11:49 AM
I've made some preliminary decisions about this character finally.
Magic-Blooded (D306pg64)
Illumian (RoD53)
Factotum (Du14)
Chameleon (RoD111)
Focuses on making and deploying remotely both Craft Contingent Spells (CAr77) and Glyph Seals (MIC161) for both buffs and attacks.

And it's looking like either Ravenloft or Tomb of Horrors are both strong possibilities for where we'll play.

Again, advice welcome.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-03-19, 11:56 AM
Use Spell Storing weapons, preferably +1 Spell Storing Arrows to potentially deliver multiple spells per round. Note that those cannot be discovered as random loot per the table, but there's nothing stopping anyone from crafting them.

Use Sanctum Spell to make your spells count as one level lower. This allows you to put spells normally one level higher in to your (Greater) Glyph Seals and Spell Storing weapons.

Get Ocular Spell to store up to two spells ahead of time and release them both at once.

Retributive Spell can also be used to store an offensive spell to be released the next time you're attacked.

Edit: Get a Snowcast, Flash Frost, Energy Substituted (Electric), Three Thunders, Detect Magic... with Permanency. You can hire an NPC Psion to use Psychic Reformation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psychicReformation.htm) on you to learn those, cast it, then Psychic Reformation again to get rid of those feats. From then on you can simply concentrate on the spell (swift action with the Swift Concentration skill trick) and every creature in a 60-ft. cone takes 1 sonic and 1 electric damage, it covers the area in ice forcing a Balance check vs falling prone, and creatures in the area must make a Fort save or be stunned, then a Reflex save or fall prone. Throw on Heighten Spell with Earth Spell for a higher caster level (for dispel) and higher save DCs.

Darrin
2014-03-19, 12:00 PM
A few other methods:

Spellstaff (Core, Dru 6). Only stores one spell at a time, but permanent until discharged, and not a lot of downside (other than getting it onto your spell list).

Shalantha's Delicate Disk (Lost Empires of Faerun, Sor/Wiz 6). Requires 200 GP material component per casting, can store up to 5th level spells.

Skull Talisman (Frostburn). Similar to a potion, but can take any spell (regardless of Target line) up to 9th level. I've futzed around a bit with a method to break/detonate a skull talisman remotely, or throw against target to have them "trigger" the spell, but haven't really come up with anything all that effective yet.

unseenmage
2014-03-20, 10:47 AM
Oh wow, thanks to both of you. All fantastic suggestions.
Can't believe I forgot all about the Delicate Disk spell.

Thiyr
2014-03-20, 11:59 AM
Even if it is a terrible choice, I must admit my first thought was runescarred berserker. Store spells IN YOUR FLESH!

unseenmage
2014-03-21, 10:30 AM
Okay starting level is 7th. I'm taking Factotum up to 8th then full 10 Chameleon, then probably 2 levels of Factotum if we get there.

Problem is there are a couple of 6th level spells I'd like access to earlier than I would ever have them through class progression.

What's the cheapest means of buying repeatable 6th level spells? 1xday is enough for my purposes. Is it even possible on a 7th level character's normal WBL?

Edit: How much should/would Metamagic Rods of Ocular Spell (LoM) and Retributive Spell (CMa) be?