PDA

View Full Version : Sparky vs Murmur (The Crowd Calls for Blood)

OMG PONIES
2014-03-18, 09:32 PM
The crowd is in an uproar as the two contestants are brought into the arena and unshackled in their opposing corners. The gigantic gates behind each of them would usually close with a deafening din of metal and stone, but any sound the gates would make is drowned out by those seeking entertainment. Both of them knew to expect this, but actually experiencing it was something else entirely. As the two fighters prepare to defend their lives, Murmur is the first off the blocks!

Sparky, once a strapping halfling lad, has succumbed to the lure of powerful magics before he was ready. Alas, the lad is forever changed, a weak little creature whose very being has been warped and bent to the influence of the positive energy plane.

http://i57.tinypic.com/20tnk12.jpg

Initiative Rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17205771#post17205771)

Please include a character description of Murmur in your first post.

Ben-zayb, you're up!

ben-zayb
2014-03-19, 12:34 AM
Across the far corner of the arena, Sparky sees a gaunt winged creature about the size of a dog. The creature is standing upright, wearing a brown hooded cloak, a periapt, a black vest, a white three-quarter-sleeved shirt, a brown bag, a black leather belt, a pair of black open-finger gloves, and a pair of brown leather breeches. His face, wings, arms, legs and feet are bare but covered in dry grayish-brown fur. His sunken golden eyes have a piercing stare while his pronounced snout is periodically seen sniffing the air.

Murmur twitch his head sideways before suddenly bolting upwards, his wings flapping madly in the air.Murmur ends his movement at A20, 80ft. up in the air.Full-Round: Runx4 upwards (Run can specifically be used with fly speed)

Knowledge(the Planes?) to identify anything about him based on appearance:
[roll0]
If I guessed right based on description...oh boy, this is gonna be hard

Question: Do I have to specifically reveal what types of actions I have already used up? I'm asking in case I ready an action, in which case there won't be any observable change unless I move.1END TURN

Medic!
2014-03-19, 12:44 AM
Sparky glides forward with erie grace sinking into the arena floor

Sparky will run, to I-12, at an angle allowing him to descend 5ft as he runs

END TURN

OMG PONIES
2014-03-19, 05:40 AM
Yes, a "DM Only" spoiler with action breakdowns would be very helpful. On an unrelated note, spot checks are not needed to see Murmur unless I'm missing something; he's not hiding at the outset and the arena conditions are normal daylight. Please put your character description outside the spoilers.

Re: your Knowledge (Planes) check, you recognize Sparky as a vivacious creature. Vivacious creatures dwell on the Positive Energy Plane. The
vast expanses of the plane are populated by rare creatures
that have adapted to its unusual conditions. These beings are incorporeal.

ben-zayb
2014-03-19, 08:27 AM
IC question: What is Sparky's physical description?

OOC stuff: Incorporeals normally can't carry stuff, right? Unless its ghost touch, force effect, or the creature has that ghost something feat. Just making sure.:smallcool:

Also, Murmur's description is unspoilered. I may not be able to post actions yet, with just smart phone.:smalleek:

Medic!
2014-03-19, 11:14 AM
Physical description (aside from the opening post)

Sparky is incorpreal, a ghost, a mere shadow of his former self. Those who can see him see his school-boy trousers and suspender'd shirt and his golden eyes that seem to search for mischief.

AFAIK you are correct on incorpreals not being able to carry/manipulate items etc outside ghost touch, force effects, and I think there are some feats like Ghostly Grasp or some such.

ben-zayb
2014-03-19, 11:51 PM
After seeing his ghostly opponent disappear into the arena floor...... Murmur snickers and pulls out a thin baton crafted out of bone.

Move Action: draw Wand of Magic Missile
Standard Action: activate the Wand against Sparky the moment he gets within MM range (110ft.), plus a 5ft. step upwards after (ignore if Upwards 5ft-step isn't allowed)

Piggy Knowles
2014-03-20, 07:43 AM
You may only ready a standard, move or free action. Therefore, you cannot ready both a 5-foot step and a standard action attack.

You can take a 5-foot step upward ordinarily, as you have Good maneuverability, so you could draw your wand, take a 5-foot step, and ready an action. But the 5-foot step cannot be part of the readied action.

ben-zayb
2014-03-20, 09:23 AM
Ready

The ready action lets you prepare to take an action later, after your turn is over but before your next one has begun. Readying is a*standard action. It does not provoke an*attack of opportunity*(though the action that you ready might do so).

Readying an Action

You can ready a*standard action, a*move action, or a*free action. To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition. The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character’s activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action. Your initiative result changes. For the rest of the encounter, your initiative result is the count on which you took the readied action, and you act immediately ahead of the character whose action triggered your readied action.

You can take a 5-foot step as part of your readied action, but only if you don’t otherwise move any distance during the round.

Piggy Knowles
2014-03-20, 02:18 PM
My apologies; in that case, proceed as you were.

Medic!
2014-03-20, 03:46 PM
Sparky runs, while still under the arena, to A20

ben-zayb
2014-03-20, 04:13 PM
@Medic END TURN (I forgot to say it in my last IC post)

Medic!
2014-03-20, 04:20 PM
Oops, me too!

END TURN

(Didn't see a pause, I'm really bad at this)

ben-zayb
2014-03-20, 04:53 PM
Murmur looks around to and fro, but after failing to see his opponents, Sparky decides to just fly closer to the arena center. He looks around at the crowd as he moves, holding his bony forefingers to his lips as a symbol of silence.

Move Action: move to F15
Standard Action: readying an action to activate the Wand against Sparky the moment he gets within MM range (110ft.), plus a 5ft. step upwards after

If a free Spot/Listen check is allowed:
S: [roll0]
L: [roll1]
Murmur also has the See the Unseen invocation up, if it matters.:smallwink:
END TURN

Medic!
2014-03-20, 05:16 PM
Sparky pokes his head up from A20 to ensure his opponent is still above him. [roll0] (are there any applicable modifyers for peeking from inside the ground?)

EDIT: Not much of a turn, that, so if Sparky sees that his opponent is within 80 feet he will move 20ft towards his foe and attack. If not he will watch his opponent's actions this round.

*editted inside the spoiler
END OF TURN

ben-zayb
2014-03-20, 06:12 PM
With the absence of his enemy, Murmur keeps moving towards the center.

Move Action: move to J10
Standard Action: readying an action to activate the Wand against Sparky the moment he gets within MM range (110ft.), plus a 5ft. step upwards after

Medic: Are you invisible? Because Murmur can see invisible stuff.
Otherwise, END TURN

OMG PONIES
2014-03-21, 06:39 AM
Pause, please.

You cannot peek your head out of the floor while remaining inside of it.

An incorporeal creature can enter or pass through solid objects, but must remain adjacent to the object’s exterior, and so cannot pass entirely through an object whose space is larger than its own. It can sense the presence of creatures or objects within a square adjacent to its current location, but enemies have total concealment (50% miss chance) from an incorporeal creature that is inside an object. In order to see farther from the object it is in and attack normally, the incorporeal creature must emerge.

Thus, you can remain inside the floor and sense the presence of any creatures within 5 feet or you can emerge from the floor which would place you above ground. D&D has no rules for poking your head into one square while your body remains in another. That being said, do you fully remain in the floor or fully emerge?
Sparky is not invisible, but moved into the floor in a previous round.

ben-zayb
2014-03-21, 06:59 AM
Asked just in case the floor descent was a diversion for actual invisibility tricks

Medic!
2014-03-21, 09:07 AM
In that case, we'll emerge!

Piggy Knowles
2014-04-05, 07:50 AM
OOC: Minor retcon. Sparky emerged from the floor in A20, before Murmur took his most recent action. As this could change Murmur's action, we'll rewind to just after Sparky emerges from the floor.

As Murmur circles the arena, hoping for some sign of his opponent, he is surprised to see the ghostly halfling emerge from his corner of the arena, where he began! The thin wand Murmur clutches bursts with a flash, and a missile of magical energy darts forward unerringly toward the newly emerged form of Sparky.

Damage: [roll0]

OOC: Sparky emerges from the floor in A20, triggering Murmur's readied action. A missile of force strikes Sparky, dealing 4 points of force damage. Murmur is currently in F15, 80' in the air, and it is now Murmur's turn.

The spell was magic missile.

ben-zayb
2014-04-05, 08:37 AM
So Sparky just peeked? He didn't even make a counterattack or something?:smallconfused:

Medic!
2014-04-05, 11:43 AM
Sparky's intent was to come out and if possible close and attack

Piggy Knowles
2014-04-07, 11:46 AM
OOC: Sorry, spoke too soon when I said that it went back around to Murmur's turn. The readied action occurs as soon as Sparky emerges from the floor, so that still resolves, but since we're rewinding back to the initial action, Sparky still has part of his turn left. Sparky may conclude his turn with the additional actions remaining.

Medic!
2014-04-07, 02:51 PM
Energy sizzles into Sparky's hide as he emerges from the floor, he yelps as a hole is drilled through his body, and screams with rage as the wound seems to close of its own accord

Ok, so I'm REALLY bad at math, including 3D air-triangles, and a hair brain-fried from work. Sparky should have 15ft of move left and has an attack range of 60ft, can he get close enough to attack this round?

Also Fast Healing 5 should put him back to full HP, unless there's a rule for when fast healing takes place during a turn? Idk :smalleek:

OMG PONIES
2014-04-07, 03:21 PM
As far as the movement question goes, I'll evaluate as I update fight maps tonight and into tomorrow.

Your fast healing, question, on the other hand, has an easy answer:

At the beginning of each of the creature’s turns, it heals a certain number of hit points (defined in its description).

Medic!
2014-04-07, 04:20 PM
Sparky, zapped by the nasty spell, sinks back into the floor of the arena.

The internet solved my problem, hoorah Triangle Calculator, who knew? (http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/calrtri.htm) Sparky will go back into the floor and move to E16

END TURN

ben-zayb
2014-04-07, 04:43 PM
After confirming his suspicions after seeing his opponent closing its wounds, Murmur grumbles some barely unintelligible words to himself and switches his current baton with another one.

Move Action: "sheathe"(more like return to bag) Wand of MM
Standard/Move Action: draw Wand of Power Word: Pain

END TURN

Medic!
2014-04-07, 05:23 PM
Sparky rises again from the floor rocketing towards where he last saw Murmur with frightening speed. A garish grin spreads across his face. His previous wound appears healed.

Sparky is now in E-16, 75ft in the air.

Accounted for the 5 fast healing at the beginning of this turn (thank you for catching that!) Sparky will use the run action to fly straight up 80 feet, putting him 5 feet below and to the side of Murmur if he didn't move. Sparky's positive energy aura (planar handbook p. 133) grants any living creature within 10ft 1hp/round healed. If they exceed their maximum normal hp, a DC 20 fort save vs. death is forced each round they remain above max.

EDIT: and I keep forgetting
END TURN

ben-zayb
2014-04-07, 06:00 PM
You see Murmur's golden eyes widening in blissful surprise and his mouth breaking into an ear-to-ear grin. A series of clicking noise of various loudness (occasionally ear-splitting) and frequency can be heard in place of a laugh expected from such facial expression.

He utters a single word as he points an ivory baton at you.

Run.
Standard: activate Wand of Power Word: Pain
Damage: [roll0]
Duration (based on HP):
50 or less ([roll1] rounds)
51-75 ([roll2] rounds)
76-100 ([roll3] rounds)

Incorporeality Damage check: [roll4] 50 or below misses
@DM: For incorporeal damage ignore chance, do I need to make one check per spell, or one check per turn?
[roll5]

ben-zayb
2014-04-07, 06:05 PM
Part 2 of turn:
If the spell worked (in case there's SR check of 6 passes, if needed):
you see Murmur sheathing his wand in his pocket
Move: sheathe Wand of PW:Pain to one of his pocket
Else, no more visible actions

END TURN

EDIT:Looking up on the Vivacious template, they have this ability:

Positive Energy Aura (Su): Any living creature within 10 feet of a vivacious creature gains 1 hit point per round due to the aura of positive energy surrounding it. Creatures that exceed their full normal hit points from this effect need to make Fortitude saves as if in a positive-dominant environment. Creatures with immunity to positive energy effects, as well as other vivacious creatures, are not affected by this aura. If conscious, a vivacious creature can suppress this aura as a standard action, but the creature takes 1 point of Strength damage for each full minute that the aura is inactive. The aura always functions while the creature is unconscious.By strict RAW (looking at my sheet), this shouldn't affect my character, correct?

Piggy Knowles
2014-04-08, 05:58 AM
The aura specifies living creatures; as you are a necropolitan, it does not affect you.

OMG PONIES
2014-04-10, 08:39 AM
As Sparky draws close to Murmur, he is chagrined to find that his positive energy aura has no effect on the creature flying in the sky. Murmur, however, draws another wand and activates it. The word echoes in Sparky's ghostly ear drums, and all but sends him to the ground. Luckily for him, his wounds close just as quickly as they form.

http://i60.tinypic.com/358bb69.jpg

Medic!, you're up! Murmur's move action to sheathe a wand provokes an AoO if you so desire.

Medic!
2014-04-10, 09:31 PM
Angry that Murmur appears unaffected by his aura, Sparky launches a bolt of pure positive energy from point blank range. Sparky then moves down 20 feet.

Sparky doesn't threaten, as he is unarmed, so no AoO to take. Sparky fires his Positive Energy Ray at Murmur.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4] rounds

This is a (Su) so no SR check, and no AoO is provoked as far as I know.

ben-zayb
2014-04-11, 12:36 AM
@Medic You done with your turn, mate?

Does Murmur know in-game what Sparky did, based on his previous Knowledge check? If not how about Spellcraft [roll0]?

And Sparky's wound closing as per Vivacious template is Fast Healing 5 vs Power Word: Pain's 6 damage (that'll reoccur for the next 10 rounds), so that means he's still a bit wounded (and be more wounded the following rounds).

Medic!
2014-04-11, 06:15 AM
UGH sorry...posted between runs on a busy work night, yup, all you brochacho

END TURN

Piggy Knowles
2014-04-15, 07:18 AM
Regardless of whether your positive energy ray is (Su) or not, ranged attacks always provoke AoOs unless you have a specific ability preventing that.

Sparky attempts to fire a ray of glowing light at point blank range, but is distracted by Murmur's great, bat-like wings. The ray misses Murmur entirely, arcing off to fizzle harmless against the arena walls.

OOC: Sparky provokes an attack of opportunity from Murmur for making a ranged attack in a threatened area. Murmur is up next.

It appears to be a ray of positive energy.

ben-zayb
2014-04-15, 04:17 PM
Murmur draws his previous bonecraft baton, uttering something as he aims it at Sparky.

Move: draw Wand of Magic Missile
Standard: activate Wand at Sparky(see Next Post)

Sparky also takes another 6 damage from the Power Word: Pain spell.
Turns remaining: 9/10END TURN

ben-zayb
2014-04-15, 04:19 PM
Messed up rolls:[roll0]

OMG PONIES
2014-04-16, 07:33 AM
Sparky's attempt to blast his opponent with a ray of positive energy doesn't even come close to making contact with Murmur, instead rebounding feebly off a distant wall of the arena before blinking out of existence. Murmur responds with a blast of force that does not err, which leaves Sparky injured but still conscious. The lingering effects of Murmur's previous spell, though, bring Sparky into unconsciousness. As Murmur concludes his actions, though, Sparky's wounds are already healing themselves once more; he is conscious and ready to continue the fight.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2zj9fky.jpg

Medic!, you're up!

Medic!
2014-04-17, 06:08 PM
Sparky, enraged by his prey's refusal to just die, fires off a second blast of energy as he drifts towards the arena floor, this one altogether darker and of a different power than the first. "WHO ARE YOU? ARE YOU A GOD?!?!?!"

Sparky will move down 20ft, and fire an Eldritch Blast at Murmur.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

END TURN

OMG PONIES
2014-04-17, 10:18 PM
Sparky's blast of arcane energy misses Murmur and sails harmlessly into the sky.

http://i61.tinypic.com/dq2efl.jpg

ben-zayb, you're up!

ben-zayb
2014-04-17, 11:04 PM
Murmur shakes its head in a jittery manner, repeating the same motion and enunciation he did a few seconds ago with the baton. He then flaps his wings in pursuit of higher altitudes.Free Action: Spellcraft [roll0] on the arcane energy if possible
Standard Action: activate Wand of Magic Missile
[roll1]

Sparky takes another round of damage (6) from the Power Word (8/10 rounds remaining)

END TURN

OMG PONIES
2014-04-21, 08:45 PM
Murmur effortlessly identifies his opponent's attack as an eldritch blast. Sparky falls unconscious from the combined bite of Murmur's two wands, and even his supernatural healing can't stitch his wounds enough to bring him back to consciousness just yet. He falls unconscious, floating in place at the mercy of his opponent.

Sparky is unconscious; Murmur can act again.

ben-zayb
2014-04-21, 09:20 PM
The creature continues aiming the bone baton at Sparky, the erratic jittering of Murmur's head a refuge from the monotonous voice of him uttering the same word over and over again.
"...yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea yea..."Standard: activate Wand of Magic Missile ([roll0])

Sparky takes another round of damage (6) from the Power Word (7/10 rounds remaining)

EDIT:If Sparky dies this turn, Murmur will use his move action to place the Wand in his pocket (1 ounce ~= 0.0625 lbs.). Both wands are outside his bag so that's an extra 0.124 lbs which he can carry (light load is 7.5 lbs, and current load is around less than 7.1).
END TURN

OMG PONIES
2014-04-22, 06:30 AM
Murmur's wand doesn't finish off Sparky, but the lingering effects of his previous spell do. The previously unconscious foe now falls limper still. The crowd rises to their feet in uproarious applause.

Murmur wins!

ben-zayb
2014-04-22, 08:12 AM
Murmur dives down to the incorporeal corpse, gesturing a gentle kiss on the opponent's forehead although no corporeal contact is actually made.

EDIT: ^Or that's what he'll do, if he had actions available.:smallbiggrin:
OOC: GG!

Medic!
2014-04-22, 12:10 PM
Well done sir! I have to admit this is exactly what I expected entering with a level 1 character lol
If you're interested, I'll be un-privating the character sheet on mythweavers now that the match is concluded.

ben-zayb
2014-04-22, 12:32 PM
If you're ok with it, yes. I always like a good puzzle.
Vivacious Strongheart (or Water) Halfling Warlock with See the Unseen or Devil's Sight (judging by PvP (counter) tactics in the past battles)

Medic!
2014-04-22, 02:31 PM
Close! Vivacious Halfling with Entropic Warding, the basic idea was get in the floor and aura someone or zap 'em to over max hp and wait it out, assuming he didn't get hit (and die, with 6 max hp, lol) first. I just can't be that guy when it comes to things like hanging in the floor for indefinite amounts of time though, gets boring and cheesy fast.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=812170