PDA

View Full Version : To you....What is the best player race?

CyberThread
2014-03-18, 10:25 PM
Rule that apply .... .No Humans, variant of humans, or humans that look and act like humans.

I think the best player race is the daelkyr half-blood, creepy background could be given birth by friggen cows, and still look human, but would moo instead of talking common.

Creepy crawly parasites which all have their own lil uses and abuses as you level up, so you have a racial that keeps up with you . Decent stats, and the type of aberration for the fun of alter-self. An combo it with a impure prince, you have the perfect joke of a half blood prince.

Shadowscale
2014-03-18, 10:28 PM
Orcs.

Tribal chaotic evil vicious cute green pig monkey peoples of pure awesome.

HunterOfJello
2014-03-18, 10:39 PM
I keep playing Half-Giants for some reason.

Half-Giant Swordsage
Primordial Half-Giant Anima Mage
Half-Giant Warblade//Psion

I think I like their stats, their access to psionic feats (+ psionic focus), their powerful build, free martial weapon prof., and their general background style.

eastmabl
2014-03-18, 10:41 PM
I brake for kobolds.

Averis Vol
2014-03-18, 10:44 PM
Not sure I can comfortably say its the best, but my favorite race has to be a tie between Killoren and half ogre. Killoren did t get nearly as much love as they deserved for such a cool race, and half ogres are like a better half Orc.

nobodez
2014-03-18, 10:48 PM
Well, I've not had a lot of experience playing non-humans.

I'm a big fan of warforged, enough so that I wish that the living construct subtype was in the OGL so I could port them easily into Pathfinder (since the Android isn't quite there).

Lanson
2014-03-18, 10:48 PM
I'm particularly fond of all the goblinoid races, myself. I wish they'd have gotten much love as kobolds. :smallfrown: Heck, even half as much love would have given them some really nice things.

Edit: Fiance says Half-orc.

BrokenChord
2014-03-18, 10:49 PM
The best player race is the one that fits your concept best and you will have the most fun with for that character and campaign.

... Sorry, someone had to say it, I wanted to get it out of the way. :smalltongue:

I'm going to say it's probably a tie between Whisper Gnome and Gold Dwarf. They've each got a bunch of tantalizing racial abilities and sexy caster stats. (Though in the latter regard, I suppose Lesser Aasimar and Dragonborn Gray Elf are better... But dem racial abs)

TrueJordan
2014-03-18, 10:50 PM
If we could use Anthropomorphic creatures, then I think- *gets shot*

ryu
2014-03-18, 10:51 PM
Elves. Have caster build in mind? There's an elf for that. Even then. Especially then. Also such tasty wizard ACFing.

OldTrees1
2014-03-18, 10:53 PM
Dragonborn

Formerly Goliath for Mountain Rage Barbarians
Formerly Dwarf for Rogues
Formerly Warforged for Immunities

Zetapup
2014-03-18, 10:55 PM
I'd prolly go with changeling, but I think they're a bit too close to humans so.

Dwarves are decent, I suppose. Their flavor can be a bit generic (drunk blacksmith/something similar), but that can be fun in its own way.

cakellene
2014-03-18, 10:58 PM
Stonechild is obviously the master race.

prufock
2014-03-18, 11:02 PM
Strongheart halflings are pretty awesome.

Yorrin
2014-03-18, 11:05 PM
Hmm. Well other than human variants (which is 90% or more of my builds) I tend to go either Dwarf, Changeling, or Dragonborn Water Orc for 90% or more of what's left. Occasionally a niche build that requires some other race for a specific PrC, but that's the only reason I'd do it. Honorable mention to Killoren and Warforged for Fey/Robot thematic builds.

Honest Tiefling
2014-03-18, 11:05 PM
This one shouldn't be a surprise, but I love them so and usually play one when allowed.

VoxRationis
2014-03-18, 11:19 PM
Grey elves are great for wizards... Who cares if you have a terrible Constitution? I use that as an indicator—if my terrible Constitution starts to matter, I'm not playing the wizard right. I once made a wizard with 1 hit point per level, which was fun.
What's the LA on yuan-ti again? Yeah, the racial hit dice don't do much for you, but the ability score bonuses are nice, and snake people are cool... though now that I mention it, it might have been the 3.0 pureblood I made that one character with, and they had a much higher Int back then.

And obviously this is describing personal favorites rather than a considered opinion about optimal race choice.

hemming
2014-03-18, 11:20 PM
halflings and tieflings

I have trouble creating non-halfling characters...and tieflings have too much sentimental value from a past campaign

Stoneback
2014-03-18, 11:23 PM
No humans? Phooey. I always roll up humans.

Dwarf I guess.

Vrock_Summoner
2014-03-18, 11:30 PM
I'd prolly go with changeling, but I think they're a bit too close to humans so.

Dwarves are decent, I suppose. Their flavor can be a bit generic (drunk blacksmith/something similar), but that can be fun in its own way.

I disapprove strongly of this perception of dwarves. It may be a cultural norm for dwarves to drink, have beards, and use hammers, but they have none of the [beer], [hammer] or [bearded scot] elemental subtypes. That racial stereotype might be common for dwarves, sort of like it is common for modern humans to eat meat and bread and use "instant messaging" electrical technology despite being able to live healthily on a proper vegetarian diet and instant messages between casual acquaintances being generally inefficient in most senses of the word. You can't lump common but non-universal generalities on an entire race.

I happen to love dwarves. And Vrocks. And dwarves summoning Vrocks. Carefree jungle dwarves are fun. Speaking of Demons, they're elementally [Evil]. Go apply your generalizations at them.

... On-topic, now that I've ranted.

My favorite player race is probably that Stonehunter Gnome variant from Dragon Magic. I love gnomes, I love draconic variations on races, and the non-Silver/Gold metallic dragons are my favorite things ever. I really don't see enough of Copper, Bronze, and Brass dragons in games.

squiggit
2014-03-18, 11:32 PM
but they have none of the [beer], [hammer] or [bearded scot] elemental subtypes

I want to go to the elemental plane of bearded scots now.

kardar233
Aasimar probably are too human-ish for this thread, but I like them anyway because CHA bonuses and also if you're using the Savage Progression they can have Outsider type which is also handy.

Elans are a bit human-ish too, but whatever, I like them.

As Averis Vol mentioned, I love the Killoren. They're really cool and are good for numerous character concepts. I once played an Unseelie Fey Killoren Paladin of Tyranny, which was really great.

Warforged are also great, but I wish there was a way to make them Large with low ECL so I could have a Large Juggernaut.

CyberThread
you do know, that dwarves were created by legends of the irish dragon?

XmonkTad
2014-03-18, 11:35 PM
Killoren if no dragon magazine, Grippli if Dragon material is in. They're a small race of frog people that can't read.

otakumick
2014-03-18, 11:46 PM
I love Kobolds... and really anything dragon related... I once wrote up a tribe of Kobolds that worshiped a Tome Dragon named Robert Heinlein...

Harrow
2014-03-18, 11:47 PM
Dwarves. Bonus to a stat everyone needs, penalty to a stat everyone dumps. Extra bonuses against poisons and spells/spell-likes, no penalty from armor, bonuses in stone environments (i.e. most dungeons), appraise bonuses ("did anyone remember to put points in that?"), it's all good.

Other than that, Orcs, particularly Water Orcs, Mongrelfolk, all of the above after Dragonborn...

I like bonuses to Constitution. Are there any that I missed?

G.Cube
2014-03-18, 11:48 PM
Never had a DM let me be one, don't know why, they're weaker then any of the PHB races... even with against-RAW sentience. :smallfrown:

Yes, it really is the Gelatinous cube. Nope, no idea why, don't even like jello, probably cause they can make ANY idea simultaneously awesome AND hilarious

Kazyan
2014-03-18, 11:52 PM
I find kenkus to have a je ne sais quoi to them. Fun and different.

(Un)Inspired
2014-03-19, 12:04 AM
Red Dragons. No competition. Everything else is just food, slaves or... Nope that's it.

Level adjustment is just a fleshy bipedal conspiracy to keep the scaled man down.

HolyCouncilMagi
2014-03-19, 12:30 AM
Red Dragons. No competition. Everything else is just food, slaves or... Nope that's it.

Level adjustment is just a fleshy bipedal conspiracy to keep the scaled man down.

Draconic Wildshape is your friend.

That said, even though I don't play them anymore, what's wrong with human being what you consider best? They're something everyone can relate to more easily, and they're favorites for many people for being a useful and versatile race. And hey, humans are cooler than we give ourselves credit for.

I quite like the things that just aren't played often despite not being particularly unusual. Wild Elves make very fun Sorcerer-based Archmages if you play up their race in roleplaying, for instance, even though they aren't at all optimal and the Int penalty just hurts an already struggling skill list.

(Un)Inspired
2014-03-19, 12:35 AM

That said, even though I don't play them anymore, what's wrong with human being what you consider best? They're something everyone can relate to more easily, and they're favorites for many people for being a useful and versatile race. And hey, humans are cooler than we give ourselves credit for.

I quite like the things that just aren't played often despite not being particularly unusual. Wild Elves make very fun Sorcerer-based Archmages if you play up their race in roleplaying, for instance, even though they aren't at all optimal and the Int penalty just hurts an already struggling skill list.

I don't like bipedal Druids putting on "dragon face".

HolyCouncilMagi
2014-03-19, 12:56 AM
I don't like bipedal Druids putting on "dragon face".

Hey, assuming you're of a high enough level for Wild Shape duration, it's not like anyone will see your bipedal "normal" (that word shouldn't be used to describe Druids) form. But suit yourself.

Amidus Drexel
2014-03-19, 01:02 AM
I rather like Warforged, Changelings, and Mongrelfolk.

Mongrelfolk especially, because they can imitate sounds. That's really useful. Plus: Con bonus, Cha penalty. :smallcool:

Ydaer Ca Noit
2014-03-19, 01:36 AM
Changelings, humans

JaronK
2014-03-19, 03:11 AM
I honestly like a lot of them, but I have a tendency towards Whispergnomes, Kobolds, and Dragonborn Water Orcs of late. Well, and Humans, but you weren't allowing that.

JaronK

Sian
2014-03-19, 03:34 AM
of the regular books, my favorite race is Dwarves, specially Dwarves playing against stereotype

of the bit more estoric books i'm fond of Vanaras and Nezumis in Oriental Adventures

Seharvepernfan
2014-03-19, 03:49 AM
Elves. I don't think I will ever get tired of them.

I don't care for 15 different subraces of them (or any other race), and when I say "elf", I mean MM high-elf. Regular elf, sometimes wood elf. Not stone-city, better-than-you elves, not tolkien elves, not humans-with-pointy-ears. Forest dwelling CG rebels with a penchance for archery, swordsmanship, and gishy magic; and a tendency towards bohemian lifestyles.

Averis Vol
2014-03-19, 04:10 AM
Elves. I don't think I will ever get tired of them.

I don't care for 15 different subraces of them (or any other race), and when I say "elf", I mean MM high-elf. Regular elf, sometimes wood elf. Not stone-city, better-than-you elves, not tolkien elves, not humans-with-pointy-ears. Forest dwelling CG rebels with a penchance for archery, swordsmanship, and gishy magic; and a tendency towards bohemian lifestyles.

I used to like elves, honestly, but once I started playing DnD that kind of changed. I dunno, its something with the underwhelming racial features, basely set snooty attitude and serious frailty that kind of changes my opinion. The elves that I grew up with were those from LoTR and the inheritance series from Christopher paolini. Those are what I expect when I see elves.

boxfox
2014-03-19, 06:01 AM
If it didn't come out of a monster manual or Savage Species, I'm not playing it.
In the campaign we're about to start, my DM agreed to let me drop the +2 LA on the Satyr if I kept only the stat bonuses and lost all other racial abilities. That poor satyr stumbled into a green dragon who used magic to make the goat-man lead the dragon back to his home, where the dragon made him sit and watch while he ate the whole town. Afterward, when the satyr was laying on the ground nearly dead from grief and starvation, the voice of Bahamut came to him.....
And now I have a dragonborn satyr...and he's awesome.

I usually edit the races with the DM's approval...losing most of the juicy bits for 1 or 2 things that matter to my class and character concept.

Half-Pixie rogues with at will-invisibility...

Half-Minotaur Were-Boar barbarians...

I also made a new species...what happens when a Yuan-ti abomination breeds with an anthropomorphic constrictor snake (which has the same anatomy)? You get the snake-man body and some neat stat bonuses, but not a lot else. Good way to ignore that mean-old Level Adjustment thing.

I've never in my life rolled a human, and never will. :smallcool:

Piedmon_Sama
2014-03-19, 06:02 AM
Orcs.

Tribal chaotic evil vicious cute green pig monkey peoples of pure awesome.

Yeah, this

E:

I used to like elves, honestly, but once I started playing DnD that kind of changed. I dunno, its something with the underwhelming racial features, basely set snooty attitude and serious frailty that kind of changes my opinion. The elves that I grew up with were those from LoTR and the inheritance series from Christopher paolini. Those are what I expect when I see elves.

Hahaha you "grew up" with the Eragon books, that's.... oh god I'm oooold :(

Raven777
2014-03-19, 06:18 AM
Half-Elves, Lizardfolks, Tengus, Catfolks, in that order.

caden_varn
2014-03-19, 07:35 AM
Player race? Despite the OPs restrictions, I'll have to go with human, other intelligent races being imaginary and thus difficult to get round the gaming table.
I guess I could go for cats, as mine show a bit of interest in playing, but honestly I think they just want to chase the dice and/or sit in the middle of the battlemap.

With that bit of annoying pedantry out the way, halflings. Maybe Windlings if we branch out of D&D into Earthdawn.

PraxisVetli
2014-03-19, 08:14 AM
Half-Elves, Lizardfolks, Tengus, Catfolks, in that order.

This.
I personally LOVE Poison Dusk Lizardfolk.
Also, Girlfriend loves Catfolk.

Meth In a Mine
2014-03-19, 08:19 AM
Duergar. Enlarge Person is a great spell, and Invisibility has many practical applications. Furthermore, it's downright hilarious when the DM declares "Your make a fortitude save, your drinks were poisoned!" and you get to say "I don't care."

BUT... Dwarves are great if monstrous races are not allowed or unadvisable.
Look at the benefits: Stonecunning, bonuses against giants, goblinoids and orcs, bonus to saves against poisons and all spells and SLAs, not slowed by armor or encumbrance...

CyberThread
2014-03-19, 08:25 AM
Duergar. Enlarge Person is a great spell, and .

expansion,,,,,

Amphetryon
2014-03-19, 08:31 AM
Gold Dwarf, when I want to be a Tank.

Strongheart Halfling, when I want to be a Sneak.

Wild Dwarf, when I want to be a Gish.

Spellscale, when a want to be a-nnoying. :smalltongue:

I'm also inordinately fond of Killoren.

Amidus Drexel
2014-03-19, 08:33 AM
Player race? Despite the OPs restrictions, I'll have to go with human, other intelligent races being imaginary and thus difficult to get round the gaming table.
I guess I could go for cats, as mine show a bit of interest in playing, but honestly I think they just want to chase the dice and/or sit in the middle of the battlemap.

Well, you could always use dolphins or mice, I suppose, but they might not be so good at maniupulating the dice or pens. Plus, dolphins kind of need water, and that's not good for the character sheets.

expansion,,,,,

He's probably referring to the non-psionic Duergar (the ones in MM1), which do indeed have Enlarge Person as an SLA.

HaikenEdge
2014-03-19, 08:55 AM
When "No humans" are presented, I automatically go for Strongheart Halfling. Really can't beat that extra feat.

Gorfnod
2014-03-19, 08:56 AM
Halfling, next question...

Pathagaron
2014-03-19, 09:38 AM
My personal favorite to play as is pretty much anything with darkvision: dwarves, aasimar, draconic x, etc.

My favorite to DM for would have to be kinder and gnomes or anything with that level of quirkiness.

Elderand
2014-03-19, 09:43 AM
Kenders !

*ducks and run away*

Shining Wrath
2014-03-19, 09:55 AM
Warforged.

Hit to Wisdom an annoyance, but the list of conditions to which you are immune requires a separate sheet of paper.

OverdrivePrime
2014-03-19, 10:09 AM
If I'm forced at spearpoint to play something other than human or half-human, I go with an Elf and play it as close to the Silmarillion as possible. If elves are out, then I'll play the tallest dwarf allowed. I like my characters to look like me so I can easily imagine/dream of myself in their shoes. I'm such an egotist - I don't play wildshape druids because I hate the idea of not looking like myself. :smallredface:

Hahaha you "grew up" with the Eragon books, that's.... oh god I'm oooold :( I know, right? Maaan.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-03-19, 10:25 AM
I'm fond of the Fey'ri. Typically as a womanizing bard, the shape changing has so much potential in the boudoir...
Really I'm fond of all the planetouched, and ghost elves and star elves as almost planetouched.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-03-19, 10:27 AM
halflings and tieflings

I have trouble creating non-halfling characters...and tieflings have too much sentimental value from a past campaign

You should try Wisplings or D'hin'ni.

Thrawn183
2014-03-19, 10:37 AM
Mongrelfolk. Ugly and tough as nails. They're like the cockroaches of the humanoids.

killem2
2014-03-19, 10:43 AM
I had the most fun with my Goliath to be honest. :D

caden_varn
2014-03-19, 11:15 AM
Well, you could always use dolphins or mice, I suppose, but they might not be so good at maniupulating the dice or pens. Plus, dolphins kind of need water, and that's not good for the character sheets.

The cats bring plenty of mice in already without introducing roleplaying ones thank you very much.
Admittedly, not so much with the dolphins. I guess they don't fit through the cat flap.

Amphetryon
2014-03-19, 11:20 AM
Mongrelfolk. Ugly and tough as nails. They're like the cockroaches of the humanoids.

Dragonborn Mineral Warrior Mongrelfolk FTW?

John Longarrow
2014-03-19, 12:13 PM
For normal games... Whispergnome.. LOADS of good stuff here!

For a less normal game, Mongrelfolk 1/2 troll. Still have a hard time explaining how mom got that troll drunk enough...

For blatant rules abuse... PIXIE. Best stats/bonuses available for a LA +4...

If I'm able to go a little human, Were Dire Bat. BATMAN rocks!

RedMage125
2014-03-19, 12:55 PM
Grey elves are great for wizards... Who cares if you have a terrible Constitution? I use that as an indicator—if my terrible Constitution starts to matter, I'm not playing the wizard right. I once made a wizard with 1 hit point per level, which was fun.
What's the LA on yuan-ti again? Yeah, the racial hit dice don't do much for you, but the ability score bonuses are nice, and snake people are cool... though now that I mention it, it might have been the 3.0 pureblood I made that one character with, and they had a much higher Int back then.

And obviously this is describing personal favorites rather than a considered opinion about optimal race choice.

And if you're playing Forgotten Realms, Sun Elves are as good. Especially for wizards. Especialy for the RSL for wizards.

But Elves are my fav, usually grey or sun.

I also think whisper gnomes and lesser aasimar have some great abilities.

And I wish gnolls didn't have racial hit dice. Because Gnolls are AWESOME.

Psyren
2014-03-19, 01:03 PM
Hu... damn. Azur... dammit!

It feels like cheating but I love planetouched of all kinds.

Kenders !

*ducks and run away*

I saw that! Get back here so we can shun you properly! *passes out torches*

~xFellWardenx~
2014-03-19, 01:08 PM
Elans are nice. Aberration type and medium size lets me use Metamorphosis and Metamorphic Transfer to take advantage of the Choker's Quickness ability for ALL the win.

... In theory. In practice, I've never played a Psionic character.

Seharvepernfan
2014-03-19, 02:38 PM

I've just never had a problem with their stats; I think they make great rogueish types, and casters too when at lower levels. I share their aloofness, and expect it from them, so that doesn't bother me. Elves as statted simply are not built for what many writers try to fluff them with; you have to play them like Bosmer.

VoxRationis
2014-03-19, 02:51 PM

The snooty attitude is poor roleplaying on the part of a lot of DMs and players (and I have fallen into this trap myself, I fear). The Player's Handbook explicitly says that they're polite and welcoming, even to people who don't meet their standards, and their default alignment by core rules is CG, which is not known for snootiness, as snootiness requires both rigid adherence to a standard to judge others on (a Lawful trait) and the willingness to look down on others and make them feel uncomfortable (a non-Good trait).

Averis Vol
2014-03-19, 03:02 PM
Yeah, this

E:

Hahaha you "grew up" with the Eragon books, that's.... oh god I'm oooold :(

Well, when I first got into video games and PnP and such. I was a jock until I was 13, that was about the time I started reading a lot. So, yea, grew up I guess was a little....wrong. I'm 21 now.

~xFellWardenx~
2014-03-19, 03:03 PM
The "D&D elves are snooty" is a carry-over from 1st-ed, if I remember correctly.

And yeah, they're great rogues. I don't know why their favored class is wizard. Must be to remind people "hey! Look at the DMG! Arcane Trickster! Arcane Archer! Yeah!"

VoxRationis
2014-03-19, 03:13 PM
Elves are reasonable rogues, but humans have more skill points, the rogue's be-all and end-all, and halflings have dramatically higher bonuses to several rogue skills. Sure, the elf can use a bigger dagger for sneak attack, but the majority of sneak attack damage is independent of size.

12owlbears
2014-03-19, 03:14 PM
To me their are two races in dnd halflings and not halflings.

Ansem
2014-03-19, 03:43 PM

I somehow feel more for Strongheart Halfing than human, otherwise I'm with Aasimar (lesser) if I'm playing a caster, +2 to mental stats for LA0 is just too nice.

Psyren
2014-03-19, 03:47 PM
The "D&D elves are snooty" is a carry-over from 1st-ed, if I remember correctly.

Doesn't that stem from Tolkien? I seem to remember Elrond making a couple of choice comments about Men, and Legolas saying something about Dwarves once (before he and Gimli kicked off the buddy comedy of the century.)

Amphetryon
2014-03-19, 03:55 PM
Well, when I first got into video games and PnP and such. I was a jock until I was 13, that was about the time I started reading a lot. So, yea, grew up I guess was a little....wrong. I'm 21 now.

That doesn't help some of us not to feel old. :smalltongue: Get off my lawn!

Joe the Rat
2014-03-19, 03:57 PM
Rule that apply .... .No Humans, variant of humans, or humans that look and act like humans.Good thing that 'and' was there. Because I'm guessing about 80% of the time any race is played as "funny looking humans with mechanics."

For me, though... Kobolds, Goblins, & Gnomes. Be Small and Annoying.

Edit: Old? Back in my day, we didn't have "numbered editions," It was "with or without Unearthed Arcana".

VoxRationis
2014-03-19, 04:01 PM
Doesn't that stem from Tolkien? I seem to remember Elrond making a couple of choice comments about Men, and Legolas saying something about Dwarves once (before he and Gimli kicked off the buddy comedy of the century.)

Well, the dwarves thing comes from a long-held enmity, and that's a different matter wholly; "Not living up to your standards" is different from "millennia-spanning feud" when determining whether one should be polite to someone.
As for Elrond's choice comments, I can't remember whether that was in the book or not; I remember it being in the movie, but they changed Elrond's personality somewhat there, presumably because having Hugo Weaving play an entirely sympathetic character was just too much for Peter Jackson's (or anyone else's) mind to handle.

Psyren
2014-03-19, 04:15 PM
Oh, I know Peej blew it way out of proportion in the movies (especially bringing Arwen into movie 2 for... actually I'm not clear why they did that, except to have some scenes of her standing around with Aragorn and them pretending to break up, or something?) because there has to be a Forced Peej Conflict in every one of his adaptations.

But I do seem to recall a statement or two from Elrond.

Pyromancer999
2014-03-19, 04:20 PM
Honestly? Depends. However, my top 5 are, in no particular order:

Shifters: It's nice to let loose sometimes, and Shifters are the most fun to let loose with. Also have some nice Substitution levels. I'd play a Shifter Druid with all the substitution levels gladly, even the 5th level one. That's right. I said it.

Changelings: Got to love the fluff on this ones, and there is no other more fun to be a trickster with, especially given the Chameleon Prestige Class. The dwarves cleric you lost track of became a elf rogue but just turned into a halfling wizard.

Warforged: Magic robot man! Woo! 'Nuff said on this one.

Killoren: Soooooo cooooool. Really wish they had given this one the love it deserved, though.

Whisper Gnome: Fun to roleplay(for me at least, in theory), and the stats aren't bad either.

Zetapup
2014-03-19, 06:05 PM
I've just never had a problem with their stats; I think they make great rogueish types, and casters too when at lower levels. I share their aloofness, and expect it from them, so that doesn't bother me. Elves as statted simply are not built for what many writers try to fluff them with; you have to play them like Bosmer.

Oh man, I remember that one elf who asked you for money in Tribunal/Mournhold, and then if you didn't give it to him, he'd take a few weeks to get full ebony armor + sword and try to kill you if you came near him again. I can definitely see one of my PCs doing that, actually. And then there's Fargoth, of course.

NoACWarrior
2014-03-19, 06:16 PM
Warforged, as with many other posters, if playing melee.

Duskling, for most everything else, that fey type and the +1 essentia allows the user to get into incarnum meld shaping with a single feat.

Although, those are my secondaries, my primaries I go with all the time (but banned due to being human types Karsite, Azurin)

Nerd-o-rama
2014-03-19, 06:49 PM
Changelings all day long. Both for flavor and for mechanics for CHA rogues, bards, or Chameleons. Ooh, or limited-list casters thanks to Recaster.

Vhaidara
2014-03-19, 06:58 PM
For me, Illumians have some of the best flavor. I wish so much that there was some crossover between Races of Destiny and Tome of Magic so that we could have gotten epic Illumian Truenamers.

Changelings are also up there, just because they are so versatile without being OP at it like humans. You can never really go wrong with a changeling.

Gnomes are one of my favorites, because I like to play them as mad scientists and musicians.

Tielfings are my fourth place, just because they are totally awesome.

Mopeds42
2014-03-19, 06:59 PM
Warforged and Changlings are my favorite. Both are very unique when it comes to flavor and racial abilities. My two favorite characters I have played were a CG Warforged Barbarian/Warblade and LN Changling Archivist/Malconvoker

Thrawn183
2014-03-19, 09:13 PM
For a less normal game, Mongrelfolk 1/2 troll. Still have a hard time explaining how mom got that troll drunk enough...!

Mongrelfolk was just ugly enough the troll didn't notice anything wrong.

Vrock_Summoner
2014-03-19, 09:18 PM
Mongrelfolk was just ugly enough the troll didn't notice anything wrong.

Hey, some people just have low standards. That applies to trolls too. :smalltongue:

... Half-dragon trolls unnerve me.

Dr. Azkur
2014-03-19, 09:26 PM
[Lesser] Tiefling. Anyone can come up with awesome unique backstory for a Tiefling character in under 5 minutes.
Hengeyokai are pretty awesome, I've been really into oriental campaigns lately.
Arctic Elves. Elves with no penalty to Constitution? Yes please! Plus they're from the frostfell, which is always cool.
Necropolitans can be made very neat. Although I always enforce the loss of a level or a LA +1, as originally intended.

Vrock_Summoner
2014-03-19, 09:50 PM
Arctic Elves. Elves with no penalty to Constitution? Yes please! Plus they're from the frostfell, which is always cool.

I see what you did there.

nobodez
2014-03-19, 09:59 PM
Dwarves. Bonus to a stat everyone needs, penalty to a stat everyone dumps. Extra bonuses against poisons and spells/spell-likes, no penalty from armor, bonuses in stone environments (i.e. most dungeons), appraise bonuses ("did anyone remember to put points in that?"), it's all good.

I have to disagree with you on the bolded section, mainly because Charisma makes two of the best features of the game much easier.

First, it makes Use Magic Device easier, especially if you're stuck playing the BDF (well, I never play a Big Dumb Fighter, since I loves me my skill points, but that's another issue all together). Shield is a great wand to have on a two-handed fighter, and Cha makes UMD easier.

Second, it makes Leadership easier. Leadership is my favorite feat in the game, so much so that my GMs make it difficult for me to choose Leadership (usually by restricting the number of characters in the party). I actually think I've only played one or two characters of sufficient level (so 6/7 or higher, depending on D&D or Pathfinder) that didn't have Leadership, which means most of my characters have had a significant amount of Charisma (probably why I don't play dwarves that much).

Enough of my rant, but yeah, Charisma is one of my favorite ability scores (Con, Int, Dex, Cha, Str, Wis if you're wondering), and I rarely play a character that doesn't at least have a 12 in it, if not higher.

iceman10058
2014-03-19, 10:16 PM
Dusklings, just cause of they fey type. very useful

starwoof
2014-03-19, 10:30 PM
I love hobgoblins and warforged. One day I want to make an all warforged party a reality. Sprint at full speed to all objectives! Warforged cut overland/non-tactical travel time by at least a third. :smalltongue:

Hobbos are just cool, I don't know what it is about them. My favorite character of all time is a hobbo. He's retiring from active adventuring soon to rule his own city-state. I did some research into really old hobgoblin fluff and found some weeeird cultural quirks that were adapted into the setting we were using. I basically created hobgoblin society on the fly as we went. Some of it was based on existing things I found and some was made up.

Nerd-o-rama
2014-03-19, 11:11 PM
Oh yeah, Hobgoblins are great. Especially honorable but amoral Hobgoblin notsamurai Warblades.

Next time I run Eberron I'm just going to say **** it and remove the LA. Sure they get two good stat bonuses with no penalty, but they also get nothing else remotely useful.

Dr. Azkur
2014-03-19, 11:55 PM
[...]
Hobbos are just cool, I don't know what it is about them. My favorite character of all time is a hobbo.[...]

Sorry, guys. I jut couldn't help myself.
The Hobogoblin
http://i.imgur.com/n2DzSiK.png

starwoof
2014-03-20, 03:13 AM
Sorry, guys. I jut couldn't help myself.
The Hobogoblin
http://i.imgur.com/n2DzSiK.png

By the gods, that is fantastic.

Dr. Azkur
2014-03-20, 07:04 AM
:redface: oh stop