PDA

View Full Version : Three Spells to Choose

Ruethgar
2014-03-18, 11:12 PM
I am getting 3 spells as at will SLA's, one has to be 0-1st, the next 0-3rd, and the final can be up to 6th from any list. What would be the best choices for constant ability to cast?

Edit: It should also be noted that these spells should be nature themed if able(plants preferred), he doesn't have much else in the way of flavor defining features.

Honest Tiefling
2014-03-18, 11:12 PM
What is the character like? How is the character getting these abilities?

Ruethgar
2014-03-18, 11:20 PM
The character is druid-ish and is getting them very cheesilly. The other characters are relatively high in power, just as long as it is not an auto-win every battle sort of spell set should be fine. I was considering just giving him a mass of trees to command via initiate of nature. In that case buff spells would be nice, but not really something you spam.

Haldir
2014-03-18, 11:20 PM
What lists are available to you?

What do you want your character to do? How does this character approach problems.

Honest Tiefling
2014-03-18, 11:23 PM
I wanted to know more for flavor reasons, but flight any time, all the time seems thematically appropriate, and useful.

Story
2014-03-18, 11:24 PM
For the 0-6th level one, I'd recommend Draconic Polymorph.

Edit: Assuming you don't already have Wildshape of course.

Adverb
2014-03-18, 11:25 PM
I'd say that when you have Greater Dispel Magic at-will, the whole world looks like a nail.

Incanur
2014-03-18, 11:28 PM
For the 0-6th level one, I'd recommend Draconic Polymorph.

Edit: Assuming you don't already have Wildshape of course.

Draconic polymorph remains nuts even if you have wild shape - which underscores the absurdity of the spell. As an at will spell-like ability it'd be arguably better than shapechange 1/day. That gets rather close to autowinning every battle, depending on how the DM does polymorph spells.

Haldir
2014-03-19, 12:14 AM
Attacking- Fist of Stone, Complete Arcane.
Utility- Silent Image, Web, Grease,PHB. -HASTE- Trapsmith1.

Scrying, Bard 3.

Teleport, Greater Dispel Magic.

Rebel7284
2014-03-19, 01:14 AM
True Strike may be nice if you can cast it every round out of combat. That way you can start with it always in place during the first round.

Alter Fortune or Wings of Cover are useful as the next spell up.

Note sure about the 6th level spell.

Ydaer Ca Noit
2014-03-19, 01:33 AM
Transmute rock to mud

Kidding :smallbiggrin: is he druid, or just druidish? Because if he can cast a spell anyway it doesn't help a lot being able to cast it all the time, and most nature themed spells are druid ones

chaos_redefined
2014-03-19, 08:20 AM
Depending on how cheesy you wanna get...

0-1:
No major cheese: Nerveskitter is better than Improved Initiative, Silent Image can auto-win encounters without killing everything.

Somewhat cheesy: Gnome Wizards can have Minor Image as a 1st level spell, thanks to Races of Stone.

Oh god how long did you leave that cheese out I can smell it from here: Dispel Magic and Haste are on the Trapsmith's lvl 1 list.

0-3:
No major cheese: Haste, Slow, Barkskin, Halo of Sand, Fly, Dispel Magic, Kelpstrand, Sleet Storm, Spiritjaws

Somewhat cheesy: The Oracle domain gives Divination, the blackwater domain gives Evard's Black Tentacles, Bard gives Scrying

What color is that cheese? It... Should it be that color?: Trapsmiths get Greater Dispel Magic, Fabricate and Wall of Stone. Runescarred Berserkers get Divine Power. Telflammar Shadowlord gives Mass Invisibility and Mislead. Demonologist gets Lesser Planar Binding.

0-6:
No major cheese: Antilife Shell gives you immunity to a lot of melee. Bite of the werebear is like putting steroids on steroids. Banishment, Drown and Mummify are save-or-dies that bypasses Immunity to Death Magic, Greater Dispel Magic and Greater Scrying are obviously useful. Planar Binding is bonkers. Freezing Fog, Howling Chain and Thunder Field are amazing battlefied control. Teleport might count as ending encounters by getting you out of them.

Somewhat Cheesy: Planar Binding might actually belong here... If you are a caster, Contingency. Bards get Otto's Irresistable Dance.

killem2
2014-03-19, 08:50 AM
I am getting 3 spells as at will SLA's, one has to be 0-1st, the next 0-3rd, and the final can be up to 6th from any list. What would be the best choices for constant ability to cast?

Edit: It should also be noted that these spells should be nature themed if able(plants preferred), he doesn't have much else in the way of flavor defining features.

Identify, Fly, and Polymorph.

Story
2014-03-19, 09:49 AM
Identify, Fly, and Polymorph.

Identify is useless thanks to Artificer's Monocle
I wouldn't waste a spell on Fly since you easily have other sources
Draconic Polymorph is far better than Polymorph if you aren't planning to cast it on teamates.

Yuki Akuma
2014-03-19, 10:05 AM
0-3rd: Anyspell

0-6th: Greater Anyspell

:|

(This doesn't actually work but it's an amusing mental image.)

LTwerewolf
2014-03-19, 10:29 AM
0-3rd: Anyspell

0-6th: Greater Anyspell

:|

(This doesn't actually work but it's an amusing mental image.)

Because of the wording of anyspell/greater, it won't work unless you have domain slots. I know you said it doesn't work, but clarifying why to those who weren't aware.

killem2
2014-03-19, 10:34 AM
Identify is useless thanks to Artificer's Monocle
I wouldn't waste a spell on Fly since you easily have other sources
Draconic Polymorph is far better than Polymorph if you aren't planning to cast it on teamates.

if it's an SLA.

I'd rather not waste my magic item slot if I have an SLA to do it.

But I am of the mind that I do not like carrying a wardrobe of items. :smallbiggrin:

Story
2014-03-19, 11:10 AM
You don't waste a slot on the monocle, you keep it in your pack. There's no attunement.

Ruethgar
2014-03-19, 06:38 PM
Unfortunately I have to pay 50x the cost of the spells making identify less favorable.

Several suggestions for flight so I am thinking Winged Watcher for the first level. Not as good as fly, but good enough and instant skill in move silently is never a bad thing.

Mmm divine power, considering his severe lack of other abilities, divine power might be nice to just to have a bit of combat ability.

Would have to go with regular polymorph over draconic, just a little too much power.

Option One 1: Winged Watcher, 3: Divine Power, 6: Polymorph
Option Two 1: Fists of Stone, 3: Plant Growth(for a little druidy feel), 6: Polymorph
Option Three 1: Winged Watcher, 3: Wings of Cover, 6: Polymorph to play with the bird theme

docnessuno
2014-03-19, 06:43 PM
For 0-3, Wraithstike is really nice if you are planning to do any melee. Otherwise Wigs of cover is one of the best defensive spells of the game.

Krobar
2014-03-19, 07:17 PM
In all seriousness, I would probably go with

Cause Fear (Sor/Wiz/Bard 1)
Fear (Bard 3)
Aura of Terror (Sor/Wiz 6)

Walk around with all three going at once.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-03-19, 07:17 PM
1st - Sanctum Spell Wings of Cover
3rd - Evard's Black Tentacles (Blackwater domain, Stormwrack)
6th - Extended Draconic Polymorph (Draconomicon, personal range, grants an additional +8 Str and +2 Con to whatever form you take)

NoACWarrior
2014-03-19, 07:27 PM
I tend to be alot more passive then nuking. My 3 spell choices are lists since I can't really narrow them down:

0-1: Resurgence, Lesser Restoration, Resist Energy, Lesser Vigor, Cure Light Wounds

0-3: Snake Swiftness Mass, Prismatic Mist, Haste, Heroism, Resist Energy Mass, Resurgence Mass, Vigor, Vigor Mass Lesser

0-6: Heroism Greater, Wrack, Heal, Vigor Greater, Wall of Incarnum, Revenance

Assuming you could get infinite casts, all the healing spells are pretty good/useful for OoC. Wrack is kind of meh, but it is a pretty good save or die spell. Putting up multiple walls of incarnum is very good vs melee types. Revenance means you never need to get a Resurrection again... until you have to go to sleep that is.

Ruethgar
2014-03-19, 07:35 PM
Sanctum spell is already assumed in the initial spell ranges. We already have an Elemental Adept (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311076) Crusader Dvati as a healer, so although infinite healing would be nice, it is already covered(though the vigors may still be an option, more passive heals are always better than wasting actions). Heroism and Mass Snakes Swiftness could be good choices since his minions probably wont be that powerful on their own.

Story
2014-03-19, 07:43 PM
I tend to be alot more passive then nuking. My 3 spell choices are lists since I can't really narrow them down:

0-1: Resurgence, Lesser Restoration, Resist Energy, Lesser Vigor, Cure Light Wounds

0-3: Snake Swiftness Mass, Prismatic Mist, Haste, Heroism, Resist Energy Mass, Resurgence Mass, Vigor, Vigor Mass Lesser

For what it's worth, Haste is a 1st level spell.

NoACWarrior
2014-03-19, 08:09 PM
Sanctum spell is already assumed in the initial spell ranges. We already have an Elemental Adept (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311076) Crusader Dvati as a healer, so although infinite healing would be nice, it is already covered(though the vigors may still be an option, more passive heals are always better than wasting actions). Heroism and Mass Snakes Swiftness could be good choices since his minions probably wont be that powerful on their own.

Ah, then you probably won't need many of the low level healing spells then.

Taking spells off my list:
Heroism is OK to setup before battle, but a bit clunky at a 1:1 cast, even if it lasts for 10 mins per casting - its also alot of bookkeeping for minions, and the same goes for heroism greater.
In the case of having minions, prismatic mist is a horrible option.
Haste is OK with a physical party, but it seems the minions do more of the heavy lifting, with haste's creature limit this may be limiting. It seems you wern't interested in having things re-save for effects, but hey its not as helpful as you might think. Wrack, for all its flavor isnt a great save or die spell, its not as useful out of combat unless you want to pick a fight with everyone, or you are a sithlord. Also, situational spells are pretty useless to put on an infinite use bar unless you will encounter the situations often...

Keeping / putting in different spells:
The main issue with snakes swiftness mass is that you need to be within 20 ft of the caster to get the effect, and LoE must exist. Sign is "better" in that you toss it on everyone and they all get the +4, Nerveskitter is only good for 1 creature, but YMMV. Adept Spirit is a very nice buff for spellcasters, +1 CL right away, lasts hours passive, and gives the fighters better will saves. Close Wounds once a round is a free 1d4+5 HP heal to any front liner, all with an immediate action. Incarnum vigor is like vigor greater, however requiring essentia to power it, provided you have a pool of essentia you could get fast healing 5 instead of fast healing 4 (also buffs healing spells cast, but thats a side note).

Revising my list:

0-1: Sign, Nerveskitter

0-3: Snake Swiftness Mass, Vigor, Adept Spirit, Close Wounds

0-6: Heal, Vigor Greater, Wall of Incarnum, Revenance, Incarnum Vigor

Miss Disaster
2014-03-20, 11:28 AM
Keep in mind, to actually cast Adept Spirit, it requires you to have the feat called Incarnum Spellshaping (ToM - p. 38).

It's a terrific spell though. And for spellcasters who feel like accessing this spell plus the 6th level Greater Channel the Mishtai (for better and longer-durationed CL boosting), it's a feat that is well worth it for the various [Incarnum] descriptor spells.

HaikenEdge
2014-03-20, 11:31 AM
Grease, Shatter, Disintegrate. Three utility spells that will resolve practically any situation when applied judiciously.

Miss Disaster
2014-03-20, 11:43 AM

It might behoove people who are making suggestions .... to work with the OP's thematic framework. Instead of just suggesting the *best* spells in firepower, performance and mega-utility.

HaikenEdge
2014-03-20, 11:47 AM
It might behoove people who are making suggestions .... to work with the OP's thematic framework. Instead of just suggesting the *best* spells in firepower, performance and mega-utility.

Let's not get carried away here; it says "should be", not "must be".

Story
2014-03-20, 02:13 PM

For what it's worth, Draconic Polymorph lets you turn into plants too.

Silva Stormrage
2014-03-20, 02:17 PM
Well it doesn't fit the druid theme at all but Animate Dread Warrior might be the strongest option available :smalltongue: Animate Dead as well.

Wall of Thorns and stinking cloud is a good combo if you don't have green bound summoning. Its incredibly useful crowd control, place them in a wall of thorns and then place stinking cloud over them. If they fail the nauseation save they can't move anymore as they have to put effort into moving and they are nauseated for as long as the duration lasts.