PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Multiweapon fighting Help

Prometheus
2007-02-03, 10:13 AM
6th level (+6 BAB), I get an extra attack per round and Improved TWF, how does this work exactly, when making full round attacks. For other reasons, I use to one-handed wepons, so I have a -4 penalty on each, but I may switch the offhand to a light weapon in the near future, so I'd like to know how it works with -2 penalties to.

Is my second primary-hand attack bonus always 5 less than my first primary hand attack, or my BAB?

Is the -5 penalty described about my second offhand attack also relative to my second offhand attack, or is it place of the -4/-2 penalty?

Is there any other penalties associated with attacking with all four attacks (other than full round)?

Also a question from earlier in my campaign, if I am charging or using a standard attack option, can I wave all TWF penalties as if my offhand was empty?

For whatever reason, I can't find any examples of TWF use in any of my books or guides, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maxymiuk
2007-02-03, 10:21 AM
If you TWF with a one-handed weapon in the off-hand you have a -4/-4 to both weapons. If your off-hand is a light weapon, this is reduced to -2/-2.

At level 6 you gain a second attack with your main hand. Let's assume you have 14 Str and +1 weapons and are at this point using an light off-hand weapon. This makes your totalal attack bonus:
6+2+1-2 = +7/+2
And with your off hand
6+2+1-2 = +7

Improved Combat Style gives you the Improved TWF feats, so you gain a second attack with your off-hand weapon. Therefore your full attack currently looks like this:

+7/+2 and +7/+2 for your main hand and off-hand respectively.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-03, 10:31 AM
Also a question from earlier in my campaign, if I am charging or using a standard attack option, can I wave all TWF penalties as if my offhand was empty?

Yes, as long as you are only attacking with your main hand you do not take TWF penalties just as you do not take penalties for holding a shield or a torch in your off-hand.

If you want to fight with two one-handed weapons you should consider taking Over-sized TWF from Complete Adventurer if possible. It will reduce your penalty from -4 to -2.

Thomas
2007-02-03, 10:33 AM
You're obviously making things too complicated for yourself, Prometheus.

Your attacks are +6/+1. With Improved TWF, you get two attacks with an off-hand weapon - +6/+1 again. Then you apply the penalties and bonuses (such as the TWF penalty of -4 or -2, depending on whether you're using two one-handed weapons or not).

If you're making a standard attack (or a charge), you're not using TWF, so you don't apply the penalty.

Attilargh
2007-02-03, 10:38 AM
You get two attacks with your main hand at +2 and -3, respectively, and two attacks with your off-hand at +2 and -3, again respectively. If your off-hand weapon were light, you would get +4 and -1 for your main hand and +4 and -1 for your off hand. Plus your Str modifier, of course.

And if you want a very unclear version:

Your BAB is +6/+1. You factor in Two-Weapon Fighting, which brings it down to (+6-4)=+2/(+6-4)=+2/(+1-4)=-3. (The off-hand attack is in blue.) Improved Two-Weapon Fighting further modifies it to (+6-4)=[b]+2/(+6-4)=+2/(+1-4)=-3/(+1-4)=-3. If you have a light weapon and ITWF, the attack bonuses would be (+6-2)=+4/(+6-2)=+4/(+1-2)=-1/(+1-2)=-1.

Is there any other penalties associated with attacking with all four attacks (other than full round)?
No.

The PHB reads you can get an extra attack per round with your off-hand weapon, but doing so incurs penalties. If you do not use the off-hand weapon for extra attacks, no penalties apply. (As an interesting point, you would still receive the +1 shield bonus from Two-Weapon Defence if you have it.)

Thomas
2007-02-03, 10:40 AM
The PHB reads you can get an extra attack per round with your off-hand weapon, but doing so incurs penalties. If you do not use the off-hand weapon for extra attacks, no penalties apply. (As an interesting point, you would still receive the +1 shield bonus from Two-Weapon Defence if you have it.)

You're right on TWD, but not about the extra attack. You can't get a second attack if you're making a standard attack. (There's specific feats that let you attack with two weapons at once as a standard attack or in a charge.)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-03, 10:47 AM
You're right on TWD, but not about the extra attack. You can't get a second attack if you're making a standard attack. (There's specific feats that let you attack with two weapons at once as a standard attack or in a charge.)

I do not think he is claiming that. He was simply offering it as an explanation to why he does not incur any TWF penalties.

TWF ==> incur TWF penalties
No TWF ==> No TWF penalties

Matthew
2007-02-03, 12:37 PM
Yup, your Character's Full Attack at Ranger 6 (Base Attack Bonus 6) with Two Weapon Fighting and Improved Two Weapon Fighting is:

Primary Attack: [(6 - 4) / (1 - 4)] = +2 / -3
Off Hand Attack: [(6 - 4) / (1 - 4)] = +2 / -3

If you take Lord Silvanos' advice and get Oversized Two Weapon Fighting or use a Light Weapon in your Off Hand, this becomes:

Primary Attack: [(6 - 2) / (1 - 2)] = +4 / -1
Off Hand Attack: [(6 - 2) / (1 - 2)] = +4 / -1

In all cases your character's Standard Attack would be:

Primary Attack: +6

For more information, consider looking at this series of articles:

Rules of the Game - Two Handed Fighting 1 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060829a)
Rules of the Game - Two Handed Fighting 2 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060905a)
Rules of the Game - Two Handed Fighting 3 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060912a)