PDA

View Full Version : I need help with D&D sports (Dwarf Tossing)

night_kitty_911
2014-03-19, 04:08 AM
I just want ideas about sports that would be played in the D&D world. I had referenced things like dwarf tossing and my players actually wanted to try it, so what other types of sports would there be and what would the rules be if they wanted to play them.

Scarce
2014-03-19, 04:46 AM
Like Siegeball (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Siegeball)?

Realms of Chaos
2014-03-19, 08:25 AM
Dungeon Runner: A chained kobold is released down a narrow hallway with murder holes in the roof, arrow slits in the sides, and walls of glass with small holes otherwise granting line of effect. A game primarily played by casters (though others can join in), each participant places a bet (adding to the pot through an entry fee) as to how far the kobold will get down the hallway (which can vary in length) before being unable to continue.

If the kobold runs the entirety of the hallway, all competitors lose and the kobold may be granted escape, a head start, or be hunted down to be killed/captured/re-used (according to culture). Otherwise, the winner is whoever guessed the nearest distance the kobold ran without guessing under. Participants are free to disrupt both the kobold and each other however they please, though killing the kobold incurs a small fee to replace it and dealing physical harm to another participant causes disqualification. No disruption against the kobold is allowed during the first round that it runs.

In areas where this is performed regularly, things may be spiced up by restricting the weapons or spells participants can use, using exotic species (including slaves of "civilized species"), using multiple or more powerful targets, using willing participants (who are either excused of criminal charges or who claim the entire pot if they get outside, though they may be restricting in what powers they can use [ex: no teleportation]), and by outfitting runners with basic equipment (such as spears, crossbows, and armor) or even advanced equipment like potions.

Storm_Of_Snow
2014-03-19, 12:30 PM
If you mean serious ones, then you've historically got things like village football (all the able bodied men of one village against all the able bodied men of the neighbouring village, trying to get a ball to a certain point in their opponents village).

Combat-type sports, like wrestling, boxing and maybe martial arts, plus target archery and so on, with jousting etc for the nobility. Maybe swimming and sailing-type sports if the settlement's near a body of water. And of course, athletic events or things like the Highland Games.

Specifically for fantasy environments, for mages, you could easily have spell creation tournaments, while thieves could possibly have free-running type events (cross the city in the fastest possible time, with 1 second knocked off for every 10 GP you manage to loot on the way :smallsmile:).

TheFamilarRaven
2014-03-19, 01:42 PM
Blackjack-ohol - Object of the game is to beat the "dealer" (probably a very high CON dwarf) in a drinking game. everyone places a bet, then the round starts. A waiter gives everyone at the table either a strong, average, or weak alcoholic beverage. Each player drinks their beverage. Whomever is still conscious when the "dealer" passes wins.

---Not much different then a REGULAR drinking game though ....

There is this ....

Gnomish Pole-vaulting - You design and build your own catapult, and launch yourself from it. Not only do you have clear a bar (which is pretty high), but you have to land on the target. If you fail, you are immediately dis-qualified, and sent to the nearest healer (if necessary ... which it usually is ...). The difficulty of completing either requirement increases until one team is left standing (so going last is a blessing).

Fairy Catching - A fey that is no bigger than Tiny (that can also fly) is released into an obstacle course-like arena and each participant is given a butterfly net. First one to catch the fairy (successful attack roll followed by a grapple) wins. You are free to use whatever means necessary to capture the fairy, but you may not injure the fey or any other participates (tripping is fine), or cast spells that directly affect the fey.

Lizard-folk Starring Contest - As the name implies.

Aergoth
2014-03-19, 02:37 PM
This post (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=77) on my beloved Twenty Sided covers real world sports that could be played by D&D races.

The easiest thing to do is consider the origin of some sports. Stuff like lacrosse is a form of light combat training mixed with a team-building exercise. American Football includes a lot of similar elements.

Away from team sports, games that you might see in the olympics [specifically the summer] are generally feets of strength (shotput, javellin toss, weight lifting) agility (pole vault, high jump) or speed (foot races).

Rephath
2014-03-19, 02:53 PM
I love fairy catching.

A good D&D sport would have a way for all characters to participate. But there would be some that wouldn't be.

I like the idea of charisma-based characters to be able to get the crowd involved somehow.

I built the sport Ogreball (http://dfrpg-resources.wikispaces.com/Ogreball) for Dresden Files, but it could be adapted for D&D.

Dwarf-tossing would be a basic strength test for distance.

Debihuman
2014-03-21, 07:34 AM
Zeta Kai's D20 Baseball rules are here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39392

I mention turducken races in my write up:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12270881&postcount=1

Debby