PDA

View Full Version : Team me how to properly optimise beguiler spells

Banaticus
2014-03-19, 06:22 AM
I've been reading http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266508 and it appears that I may not properly know how to optimise beguiler spells. This is for a 9th level character that casts as an 8th level beguiler.
0-level spells
Dancing Lights
Daze
Ghost Sound (Illusion)
Read Magic1st-level
Charm Person
Color Spray (Illusion)
Comprehend Languages
Detect Secret Doors
Disguise Self (Illusion)
Expeditious Retreat
Hypnotism
Mage Armor
Obscuring Mist
Rouse
Silent Image (Illusion)
Sleep -
Undetectable Alignment - don't care, I'm True Neutral
Whelm2nd-level
Blinding Color Surge (Illusion) - Blind vs will, go invisible
Blur (Illusion) - grants concealment vs will
Daze Monster - dazes 6HD or less monster vs Will, so probably won't be used much
Detect Thoughts - nice, but with Mindsight from Lords of Madness I have permanent tier 2 of this
Fog Cloud - concealment in an area, even blocks blindsight
Glitterdust - 10' radius spell, blinds vs Will, reveals invisible things
Hypnotic Pattern (Illusion) - fascinates 2d4+8 HD, starting with closest creature, vs Will
Invisibility (Illusion) - just like it sounds
Knock - Open doors, boxes, chest -- does a belt count as a door to the pants?
Minor Image (Illusion) - image of something, with minor sounds but no speech, concentration+2 duration
Mirror Image (Illusion) - 1d4+2 images, we can walk around and shift places
Misdirection (Illusion) - can change auras around vs Will
See Invisibility - Just like it sounds and it can be made permanent.
Silence (Illusion) - 20' globe of silence (vs Will if appropriate)
Spider Climb - 20'/round climb
Stay the Hand - Target can't attack or spell me, can cast instantly after they declare target
Touch of Idiocy - Touch attack to reduce Int/Wis/Cha by 1d6
Vertigo - Target feels as though they're falling, DC 10 balance to move, -2 penalty saves/attacks, if balance check failed by 5 dropped prone vs Will
Whelming Blast - 4d6 damage in a 30' cone vs Will3rd-level
Arcane Sight
Clairaudience/clairvoyane
Crown of Veils
Deep Slumber
Dispel Magic
Displacement
Glibness
Halt
Haste
Hesitate
Hold Person
Inevitable Defeat
Invisibility Sphere
Legion of Sentinels
Major Image
Nondetection
Slow
Suggestion
Vertigo Field
Zone of Silence4th-level
Charm Monster
Confusion
Crushing Despair
Freedom of Movement
Invisibility, Greater -
Locate Creature - if I know or am familiar with someone and they're within 720', I can point the direction to them and know if they're moving, seems useless
Mirror Image, Greater - same as mirror image, but each round a new image pops in to replace destroyed while the spell runs, up to a max of 8
Phantom Battle - this has got to be the stupidest spell, "Anyone in the battle can plainly see that the conjured fighters are no threat" yet even though they see there is no threat they lose the ability make an AoE and everyone is flanked
Rainbow Pattern - 20' radius, fascinates 24 HD (smallest first), creatures will try to follow lights vs Will
Solid Fog - move speed of 5', -2 penalty to attack/damage, no ranged except magic rays, no 5' step
Whelm, Mass - 8d6 damage to 8 creatures, vs Will
I can come up with some incredible out of combat uses, but how to contribute meaningfully to a party combat... This character has incredible hide/move silently. So, in a fight, get out of sight, maybe go invisible, move up to enemy caster and Touch of Idiocy them once or twice which shuts them down. At this level, See Invisibility can be made permanent, so I think hide/move silently will work out a lot better than trying to rely on invisibility for anything other than a backup, and maybe not even then.

What's a good way to hide myself from a simple detect magic?

Rebel7284
2014-03-19, 07:51 AM
I've been reading http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266508 and it appears that I may not properly know how to optimise beguiler spells. This is for a 9th level character that casts as an 8th level beguiler.
0-level spells
Dancing Lights
Daze
Ghost Sound (Illusion)
Read Magic1st-level
Charm Person
Color Spray (Illusion)
Comprehend Languages
Detect Secret Doors
Disguise Self (Illusion)
Expeditious Retreat
Hypnotism
Mage Armor
Obscuring Mist
Rouse
Silent Image (Illusion)
Sleep -
Undetectable Alignment - don't care, I'm True Neutral
Whelm2nd-level
Blinding Color Surge (Illusion) - Blind vs will, go invisible
Blur (Illusion) - grants concealment vs will
Daze Monster - dazes 6HD or less monster vs Will, so probably won't be used much
Detect Thoughts - nice, but with Mindsight from Lords of Madness I have permanent tier 2 of this
Fog Cloud - concealment in an area, even blocks blindsight
Glitterdust - 10' radius spell, blinds vs Will, reveals invisible things
Hypnotic Pattern (Illusion) - fascinates 2d4+8 HD, starting with closest creature, vs Will
Invisibility (Illusion) - just like it sounds
Knock - Open doors, boxes, chest -- does a belt count as a door to the pants?
Minor Image (Illusion) - image of something, with minor sounds but no speech, concentration+2 duration
Mirror Image (Illusion) - 1d4+2 images, we can walk around and shift places
Misdirection (Illusion) - can change auras around vs Will
See Invisibility - Just like it sounds and it can be made permanent.
Silence (Illusion) - 20' globe of silence (vs Will if appropriate)
Spider Climb - 20'/round climb
Stay the Hand - Target can't attack or spell me, can cast instantly after they declare target
Touch of Idiocy - Touch attack to reduce Int/Wis/Cha by 1d6
Vertigo - Target feels as though they're falling, DC 10 balance to move, -2 penalty saves/attacks, if balance check failed by 5 dropped prone vs Will
Whelming Blast - 4d6 damage in a 30' cone vs Will3rd-level
Arcane Sight
Clairaudience/clairvoyane
Crown of Veils
Deep Slumber
Dispel Magic
Displacement
Glibness
Halt
Haste
Hesitate
Hold Person
Inevitable Defeat
Invisibility Sphere
Legion of Sentinels
Major Image
Nondetection
Slow
Suggestion
Vertigo Field
Zone of Silence4th-level
Charm Monster
Confusion
Crushing Despair
Freedom of Movement
Invisibility, Greater -
Locate Creature - if I know or am familiar with someone and they're within 720', I can point the direction to them and know if they're moving, seems useless
Mirror Image, Greater - same as mirror image, but each round a new image pops in to replace destroyed while the spell runs, up to a max of 8
Phantom Battle - this has got to be the stupidest spell, "Anyone in the battle can plainly see that the conjured fighters are no threat" yet even though they see there is no threat they lose the ability make an AoE and everyone is flanked
Rainbow Pattern - 20' radius, fascinates 24 HD (smallest first), creatures will try to follow lights vs Will
Solid Fog - move speed of 5', -2 penalty to attack/damage, no ranged except magic rays, no 5' step
Whelm, Mass - 8d6 damage to 8 creatures, vs Will
I can come up with some incredible out of combat uses, but how to contribute meaningfully to a party combat... This character has incredible hide/move silently. So, in a fight, get out of sight, maybe go invisible, move up to enemy caster and Touch of Idiocy them once or twice which shuts them down. At this level, See Invisibility can be made permanent, so I think hide/move silently will work out a lot better than trying to rely on invisibility for anything other than a backup, and maybe not even then.

What's a good way to hide myself from a simple detect magic?

They have some nice battlefield control, buffs, and debuffs. Bolded the stuff I find interesting. Misdirection (on your spell list) can help hide auras.

Nihilarian
2014-03-19, 08:03 AM
What's a good way to hide myself from a simple detect magic?How about Nondetection?