PDA

View Full Version : D&D 4e to remain in print

UndertakerSheep
2014-03-19, 06:29 AM
At GAMA earlier this week, Wizards of the Coast announced several things about D&D Next (the cover art for the core books, no multiple player handbooks and some other stuff), but they also made an announcement concerning 4e: they will continue to sell and print 4e until interest goes away.

Read the rest over at Enworld (http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?1535-D-D-Next-Notes-from-GAMA).

What do you guys think?

I'm hoping this means the online tools will remain available long into D&D Next's run.

Gavran
2014-03-19, 11:28 AM
Not really a whole lot there. It's still more hopeful than I (and probably others) had assumed their stance would be though. And it makes sense, honestly. Leaving 4E's online presence intact doesn't really cost them much. You could argue that discontinuing it will help get people to buy 5E, but it would drive a lot of people to piracy, too. And of course, showing that they're willing to not abandon 4E will earn a lot of good will and faith that they'll try to make 5E last too.

Kurald Galain
2014-03-19, 11:32 AM
Yes. And I get the impression that 5E is primarily aimed at Pathfinder fans, not so much at 4E fans, so that would make it a rather silly move to discontinue 4E.

Raine_Sage
2014-03-19, 11:39 AM
I do hope they make the online builder either free or a
"One purchase" option where you pay a flat fee and get access indefinitely. Either as they get into NEXT or when interest in 4ed wanes (if it ever does).

That's my biggest hope, I'm not really interested in NEXT, I'd rather pick up pathfinder if I can.

Kurald Galain
2014-03-19, 11:41 AM
I do hope they make the online builder either free or a
"One purchase" option where you pay a flat fee and get access indefinitely.

Why would WOTC do that, though? It's their biggest source of RPG income, by at least a factor of ten.

squiggit
2014-03-19, 12:02 PM
And of course, showing that they're willing to not abandon 4E will earn a lot of good will and faith that they'll try to make 5E last too.

It's already abandoned though. The builder wasn't even fully up to date or had its bugs fixed last I checked. And the dragon stuff they put out is usually pretty bad. So eh, I'm not really feeling it.

Inevitability
2014-03-19, 12:03 PM
As it looks like the next edition(s) will not be like 4e, maybe WOTC will release a 4e-like game in the future, that will be called D&D tactics or something?

I really hope so. 4e was great in its own way, and deserves to be continued.

Raine_Sage
2014-03-19, 12:12 PM
Why would WOTC do that, though? It's their biggest source of RPG income, by at least a factor of ten.

That's why I'm saying only if NEXT happens to be a huge success (though that's a big if at this point) then boom, they have a new game to make an online builder for, and could offer the old one at a reduced rate.

I know it's not likely for exactly the reason you said but I can hope.

Kurald Galain
2014-03-19, 12:19 PM
As it looks like the next edition(s) will not be like 4e, maybe WOTC will release a 4e-like game in the future, that will be called D&D tactics or something?

That would be interesting. 4E would definitely benefit from an updated re-release that streamlines the older (most popular) classes with the newer mechanics (e.g. themes), removes some of the worst unbalanced/unclear powers, and gets rid of a large amount of lacklustre feats and items.

Mando Knight
2014-03-19, 12:53 PM
That would be interesting. 4E would definitely benefit from an updated re-release that streamlines the older (most popular) classes with the newer mechanics (e.g. themes), removes some of the worst unbalanced/unclear powers, and gets rid of a large amount of lacklustre feats and items.

Or updated re-release of Heroes of Shadow that basically rewrites the whole book. :smalltongue: (Vampire should totally be a Theme, not a class)

GPuzzle
2014-03-19, 01:18 PM
I'm waiting until the PHB3 is translated to Portuguese to say anything about 4e getting out of print.

obryn
2014-03-19, 01:18 PM
I would not be at all surprised to see future adventures and supplements with downloadable 4e (and maybe 3e) conversion guides.

Kurald Galain
2014-03-19, 01:50 PM
Or updated re-release of Heroes of Shadow that basically rewrites the whole book. :smalltongue: (Vampire should totally be a Theme, not a class)

No, it should be an item! That's about the only thing it isn't yet :smallbiggrin:

Inevitability
2014-03-19, 02:47 PM
How about a power?

At-will, Shadow

Standard Action Personal
Target: You
Effect: You become a vampire until the end
of your next turn. Don't ask how it works.

Perfect, isn't it? :smallsmile:

Kurald Galain
2014-03-19, 03:52 PM
Encounter, Shadow

Standard Action Close burst 5
Target: One ally in burst
Attack: Constitution vs Reflex
Hit: The target becomes a vampire (save ends).

Mandrake
2014-03-19, 04:57 PM
And do we have any information when will Next become available?
I would really like to keep up to date with WotC for some personal idiocy reasons, so I cannot wait for Next to come out.

UndertakerSheep
2014-03-19, 05:16 PM
And do we have any information when will Next become available?
I would really like to keep up to date with WotC for some personal idiocy reasons, so I cannot wait for Next to come out.

All they said was that the Starter Set will come out in ''summer'', and the Player's Handbook will be released ''later''. This probably means around august/september, but nothing official yet.

I'm guessing they're going to announce some stuff to the public at PAX EAST. Why else run Acquisitions Incorporated there?

Mando Knight
2014-03-19, 05:41 PM
No, it should be an item! That's about the only thing it isn't yet :smallbiggrin:

Vampire, Level 1 Alternative Reward
You are a vampire.

Hal
2014-03-19, 08:32 PM

Arguably, because you were previously paying for the content, which would be updated regularly. They're no longer supporting it, so it would make sense to release it.

Ah, who am I kidding? They'll milk it until the day the company sells all of its assets in bankruptcy.

Lord Raziere
2014-03-19, 08:40 PM
Ah, who am I kidding? They'll milk it until the day the company sells all of its assets in bankruptcy.

you mean tomorrow? *ba-dum-tish* :smalltongue:

also:

Skill: Vampire +5
You are trained in being a vampire, this skill uses your Charisma bonus. You can do anything a vampire can with this skill.

Kimera757
2014-03-19, 09:08 PM
I read that 4e in print was becoming hard to find, so cheers!

Also, companion:

Vampire Skin
This creature can envelop you in its cold flesh. While it does so, you become a vampire. You gain regeneration 5 per tier, resistance to necrotic 5 per tier, vulnerability to radiant 5 per tier...

Vampire henchmen. Vampire terrain. Vampire traps. (If you step on that tile, you become a vampire...)

RealCheese
2014-03-20, 12:15 AM
Why else run Acquisitions Incorporated there?
You mean other than the fact that the players are the same people that started Pax, the Penny Arcade crew and their fellow online comic creator Scott Kurtz?

squiggit
2014-03-20, 01:40 AM

Or we could just pretend Heroes of Shadow never happened.

Oh and we can pretend the Assassin never happened either. That would be good too.

And I can pretend they released updates to PHB3 classes to make them not-terrible like what they did with Avengers.

Kurald Galain
2014-03-20, 02:26 AM
Skill: Vampire +5
You are trained in being a vampire, this skill uses your Charisma bonus. You can do anything a vampire can with this skill.

What's the DC on sparkling?

UndertakerSheep
2014-03-20, 05:14 AM
You mean other than the fact that the players are the same people that started Pax, the Penny Arcade crew and their fellow online comic creator Scott Kurtz?

Touché.

But I actually meant why do it on Pax East instead of Pax Prime? They're probably going to do both, but I'm guessing they've got bigger plans for this year's PAX East than they usually do.

Edit: also, this year's AI session is about dragons, so most likely it's a tie in to Tyranny of Dragons. I think they're planning something.

Lord Raziere
2014-03-20, 05:20 AM
What's the DC on sparkling?

Sorry, thats only covered by the Bishonen skill. :smalltongue:

Dimers
2014-03-20, 10:26 AM
you mean tomorrow? *ba-dum-tish* :smalltongue:

Ohhh, burn! :smallbiggrin:

Inevitability
2014-03-20, 10:53 AM
Background: Vampire

You can read and speak vampiric.
You also gain a +2 bonus on all vampire checks.

Epinephrine
2014-03-20, 09:29 PM
Epic Destiny: Vampire
You have always sought a way to embrace undeath (and don't like the dried-out skeletal look), and were somehow not of the right background, heritage, professional disposition, or race, and had nobody who could cast the appropriate ritual, nor the items necessary to attain vampirehood on your own. Like many before you, you always knew that the world of the nosferatu was your destiny, and you have finally achieved it, sparkles and all.

21st level: Your Charisma and some other vampire-like attribute increase by 2.
21st level: You also get a coffin. You have to rest in it, but it's magical and seems to be wherever you need it to be.
Also 21st level: You gain resistance 10 necrotic (or, if you already have resistance to necrotic, increase it by 50. What the heck, eh?)
Also also 21st level: You gain vulnerability sharp wooden things 10, and vulnerability sunlight ∞. Also, you don't really like garlic and/or crosses anymore.
24th level: Once a day, when you would be killed you can either a) turn into a bat and avoid the attack; b) turn into vapour and avoid the attack, or c) reappear in your coffin, fully healed. Your coffin will be very far away, though.
30th level: You gain the ability to summon swarms of bats and other creepy things. Also, everyone hates you, and you get to spend the rest of your un-life avoiding doggedly determined vampire slayers. Good luck.

Vampire Stuff - Level 26 Vampire Utility
Minor action
Once a day, you can either dominate someone to do erotic stuff, knock up a human girl who will die trying to birth your monstrous baby, sparkle (inflict blindness (save ends) in a close burst 5), or speak in a really silly fake romanian accent (generally about vanting to suck your blooood). If you are an Anne Rice fan, instead of sparkling you can be very angsty, mourning the loss of your humanity. Nobody will attack you, despite wanting very much for you to just off yourself.

Surrealistik
2014-03-20, 09:33 PM
Or we could just pretend Heroes of Shadow never happened.

Oh and we can pretend the Assassin never happened either. That would be good too.

And I can pretend they released updates to PHB3 classes to make them not-terrible like what they did with Avengers.

The Assassin class and most of the concepts that went into it were actually pretty cool; the real problem it has is that its powers and striking mechanic are mechanically weak with precious few exceptions.

Akodo Makama
2014-03-20, 11:29 PM
I read that 4e in print was becoming hard to find, so cheers!

Also, companion:

Vampire Skin
This creature can envelop you in its cold flesh. While it does so, you become a vampire. You gain regeneration 5 per tier, resistance to necrotic 5 per tier, vulnerability to radiant 5 per tier...

Vampire henchmen. Vampire terrain. Vampire traps. (If you step on that tile, you become a vampire...)

Vampire-the T-shirt, Vampire-the Coloring Book, Vampire-the Lunch box, Vampire-the Breakfast Cereal, Vampire-the Flame Thrower.

[turns it on] The kids love this one.

And last but not least, Vampire the doll, me.

[pulls string]

Doll: May Gygax be with you!

Felhammer
2014-03-21, 02:14 PM
My guess is that by "until interest fades" they mean "until our warehouse is empty," at least for the print books. PDFs are evergreen. Still, nice to hear that they will not be wholesale abandoning the system, like they did with 3.5. I like their focus on just selling products, rather than making people buy X, Y or Z. It is a much simpler business model, especially considering how thoroughly WotC has fractured their own player base over the last 15 years.

Also, I like the Vampire Class. It isn't amazing but it is fun. I especially liked Fang, my Warforged Revenant Vampire.