PDA

View Full Version : Is this stupid?

atemu1234
2014-03-19, 06:39 AM
My PCs just had essentially all-out war with a Lich. This Lich was defeated, and he was killed, but now I'm having him return as a demilich after being revived by a contingency Revive Undead, residing in a demiplane he made that's attracting millions of undead from across the planes. Is this a good adventure hook or no?

Brookshw
2014-03-19, 08:03 AM
My PCs just had essentially all-out war with a Lich. This Lich was defeated, and he was killed, but now I'm having him return as a demilich after being revived by a contingency Revive Undead, residing in a demiplane he made that's attracting millions of undead from across the planes. Is this a good adventure hook or no?

Well, I'd probably swap the location to the boneyard or the negative energy plane. Kinda hard for most undead to get to a demiplane.
What's the hook exactly? Is he out for revenge? Did they thwart some scheme and he's trying to relaunch it? I think this could use a lot more development.

On the whole though, sure, why not.

I am now wondering if revive undead should work on a lich assuming its phylactary is destroyed. At that point its kinda just dead sorta rather than undead and I don't believe that spell can restore the phylactary which is to some extent what makes it undead and a valid Target for the spell otherwise. You could still do it via other means, this one just feels kind of odd.

Segev
2014-03-19, 08:27 AM
No, that sounds about right for a wizard who so wished to avoid death that he took his life force out of his body and became an undead horror. Contingent revive effects and backup private demiplanes from which to recover are barely scratching the surface of what he can and probably should be doing to preserve his own existence.

I recommend abusing Magic Jar and Astral Projection, too.

Shining Wrath
2014-03-19, 08:57 AM
Fair enough, but is he opening gates or portals for undead to use to reach his demiplane?

And what's his game, other than Not Dying which is usually pretty important to a lich (see: reason for existence, backstory, yada). Is he assembling all these undead just to preserve his unlife against the next bunch of characters, or does he have a goal?

John Longarrow
2014-03-19, 10:51 AM
So just HOW is he attracting millions of undead?

Are they mindless and being "Skelenapped"?
Are they intelligent and heading there on vacation, only to discover their luggage and passport are now missing and their return flight has been cancelled?

And just how big of a demiplane did he make? Unless he is aiming for mass numbers of incorporeal undead he may run into space considerations.