PDA

View Full Version : [PF/3.X] Destruction!

The Insanity
2014-03-19, 07:15 AM
I'm making a Jinx-like character, so I need a build that's capable of fighting and a lot of destruction. I realize that it would be easiest to make with a caster, but I'd prefer to not use full casting classes. I'm trying to keep the character's power around Tier 3.
Mind you, I'm only inspired by Jinx and her personality, I'm not trying to perfectly stat her up in D&D, so using firearms isn't necessarily a requirement. I did consider using advanced or even modern firearms, but that would make the character overpowered, so I scrapped that idea.
I was thinking of using gnome or halfling as a race (partly inspired by Ziggs) for the hilarious image of a small bugger terrorizing the city, or half-orc for the rough build I'm going to show below, but I'm willing to reconsider for the sake of effectiveness.
My idea is gestalted Gunslinger//Alchemist (Bombardier), but I don't have much experience with those classes yet, so I'm not sure if they can dish out enough destruction for this concept, although it seems like they should.

The Insanity
2014-03-31, 02:04 PM
Bump. nfhfhh

The Insanity
2014-04-25, 10:49 PM
Bump. nnnxhxx

Orsyn
2014-04-25, 11:50 PM
Issue I see with that setup is that gunslinger and alchemist require separate mental stats (wisdom and intelligence, respectively), meaning your ability score priority would look something like dex>int=wis>con>cha>str. Not terrible, but not preferable.
An issue with gunslinger in my experience, is that it doesn't really fit that fantasy. Gunslingers have -consistent- damage, but it's not particularly destructive compared to, say, a greatsword. If you want destruction with a 'slinger, you basically have to either go Titan Mauler Barb for massive guns (because bigger guns explicitly don't require more hands to wield), or go for a large race and just haul around a siege weapon.
Alchemist has some gems with its bombs, though you are, unfortunately, limited in your daily destruction. If you want to go the small race route, you can look into the goblin fire bomber, which sounds like fits almost perfectly thematically (this can also be accomplished via the Human Racial Heritage feat, if you prefer a non-goblin).

Slipperychicken
2014-04-26, 03:23 AM
You can output a surprising quantity of dakka with early firearms. Take Musket Master5/Trench Fighter3+, all the feats required to be good at firearms (PBS, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Deadly Aim, and you get Rapid Reload for free). So you now have 2x dex to damage, and can reload your musket as a free action if you use paper cartridges.

Now grab (or craft) a +1 Greater Reliable Double-Barreled Musket. On every attack, eat the -4 penalty to fire both barrels at once, and reload them as a free action. Now you're basically doubling your number of attacks with no chance to misfire (3 from double-barreled muket plus 1 from paper cartridges would be 4, but Greater Reliable reduces it by 4 to zero).

Now pick up Snap Shot, Improved Snap Shot, and Combat Reflexes. Now you're threatening 20ft with your gun, and your jacked Dex modifier should mean you're taking every AoO which is provoked in that range. Fire both barrels at once for each AoO, to score more attacks than you should. Also, you will want to be around melee (ideally near the enemy spellcasters and ranged weapon users) to take full advantage of this combo.

Being a small race is awesome. Why? Because you get a +1 to hit, probably a Dex bonus too, and can ride a medium-sized mount indoors. This will let you take ranged full attacks while your mount is moving, and you don't even take penalties for it unless the mount moves more than its speed in a single round. You know how most archers are stuck 5ft-stepping each round between full attacks? You're moving 50ft (or more) per round while making those same full-attacks. The best part is that you don't strictly need feats to do this: any combat-trained mount can serve as a mobile firing platform.