PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Will Belkar be able to cast spells now?

Mastikator
2014-03-19, 10:24 AM
In light of recent events Belkar has shown more wisdom than anyone in the Oots (not foolishly (yes foolishly (parenthesis-ception)) trusting Count Durkula). And he's been shown to do actual character growth with his cat and charming the Allosaurus. Basically, what I'm getting at is that his wisdom score has increased significantly.

Will he be able to cast ranger spells before he kicks the bucket?

Keltest
2014-03-19, 10:47 AM
Even a broken clock is correct twice a day. Belkar is right for all the wrong reasons. That doesn't mean hes showing wisdom, he's just finally run into a situation where his default approach isn't a terrible idea.

Cizak
2014-03-19, 11:46 AM
I highly doubt it. Stuff like that just isn't important to the comic anymore. The characters don't gain character development so that they can get new abilities, the gain it so that they can grow as persons.

Of course, I have been very surprised by the Giant's decisions before, so I may be completely wrong here.

BenjCano
2014-03-19, 11:51 AM
Even a broken clock is correct twice a day. Belkar is right for all the wrong reasons. That doesn't mean hes showing wisdom, he's just finally run into a situation where his default approach isn't a terrible idea.

Stop stealing my thoughts! I was just about to make the broken clock analogy.

Peelee
2014-03-19, 11:59 AM
It's a rare occasion when the first response to a post pretty much nails it on the head. Kudos, Keltest.

Rogar Demonblud
2014-03-19, 12:45 PM
I doubt he ever will be able to, but I'd still love to watch the mayhem after he casts Magic Fang on Mr. Scruffy. Commoners were just the beginning!

Heck, cast it on Bloodfeast too.:smallamused:

Excise
2014-03-19, 12:50 PM
I recall, during Belkar + Durkon's fight with Malack, that Belkar would defeat the vampire with a Cure Light Wounds spell.

Turns out I was wrong, but the opportunity for a dramatic cast is still there.

Zmeoaice
2014-03-19, 12:52 PM
In light of recent events Belkar has shown more wisdom than anyone in the Oots (not foolishly [yes foolishly {parenthesis-ception}] trusting Count Durkula). And he's been shown to do actual character growth with his cat and charming the Allosaurus. Basically, what I'm getting at is that his wisdom score has increased significantly.

Will he be able to cast ranger spells before he kicks the bucket?

I think Owl's wisdom gave him 4 points of wisdom, so it's still possible he has an abysmal wisdom score even if it has improved a bit.

His reasons for not trusting Durkula probably have to do with seeing Durkon die, getting his blood drained by Durkula, and jealousy that this evil member is being treated better than him. It's not like the other members trust him blindly, and Roy plans to stake him when it is convenient.

Gift Jeraff
2014-03-19, 01:26 PM
Belkar's inability to cast cure spells will come into play at a crucial moment where he is unable to save Mr. Scruffy or Bloodfeast.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-03-19, 02:32 PM
I don't see why Belkar refusing to trust Durkon makes him wiser. He has shown no evidence that Durkon is not to be trusted. And I don't think that bonding with Bloodfeast or Mr. Scruffy shows an increase in wisdom either. And even then, his wisdom score is probably so abysmal that a small increase wouldn't help him any

KillianHawkeye
2014-03-19, 02:58 PM
I recall, during Belkar + Durkon's fight with Malack, that Belkar would defeat the vampire with a Cure Light Wounds spell.

Turns out I was wrong, but the opportunity for a dramatic cast is still there.

Even if Belkar COULD cast spells, why in the world would you think he would prepare Cure Light Wounds instead of something he could use to kill people with?? :smallconfused:

Kornaki
2014-03-19, 03:08 PM
Even if Belkar COULD cast spells, why in the world would you think he would prepare Cure Light Wounds instead of something he could use to kill people with?? :smallconfused:

The same reason Elan learned Neutralize Poison. Something traumatic happened to someone he was (relatively for Belkar anyway) close to, and he chooses a spell set that will help him prevent something traumatic happening to someone he is close to ever again.

Or because he asks V and learns that cure light wounds will be damaging to vampires.

Cavenskull
2014-03-19, 04:10 PM

Stop stealing my thoughts! I was just about to make the broken clock analogy.

Like this one? :smallwink:

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj216/klasodeth/8082287d-73bc-4d37-ab65-2f99f72a2227.jpg

Vinyadan
2014-03-19, 06:19 PM
]

No prob man, no prob.

http://s14.postimg.org/yvdn955q9/orologio.jpg

Even the imaginary arms of a detached clock quadrant are right twice a day. :smallcool:

But I doubt Belkar's wisdom suddenly got higher. If you want to see it in D&D terms, I am more for adding a circumstance bonus due to watching Durkon die and being turned into a vampire.

MagicalMeat
2014-03-19, 08:12 PM
Doesn't Belkar get spells right now? Like he could try to cast one, but almost certainly fail.

Gift Jeraff
2014-03-19, 08:14 PM

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj216/klasodeth/8082287d-73bc-4d37-ab65-2f99f72a2227.jpg

Well, it'll be right at the end of time...

KillianHawkeye
2014-03-19, 08:36 PM
Doesn't Belkar get spells right now? Like he could try to cast one, but almost certainly fail.

No. He can't prepare his spells if his Wisdom is still less than 10. Which it probably is even though he's right about Durkon.

Rogar Demonblud
2014-03-20, 12:08 PM
Less than 11. Rangers don't get cantrips or orisons.

NihhusHuotAliro
2014-03-20, 12:14 PM
I think it would be amazing to see Belkar cast a spell; but be beaten in a fight anyway and then be dragged to the place of punchies by Solt Lurkyurg and the rest of Belkar's victims who beat him up for eternity.

I was hoping for a similar thing ot happen to Johan Liebert, but I'll take Belkar as a consolation prize.

Jay R
2014-03-20, 01:34 PM

Because he wouldn't waste his life on anger and needless rage when he could be healing. The evidence (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0058.html) shows that if he had improved wisdom, his eyes would finally open. From that day forward, he would never hurt another living creature ever again.

Agnostik
2014-03-20, 02:49 PM
In addition to the points made above, I'd like to note that while The Giant generally does a great job at making characters "demonstrate" their ability scores (Durkon's high WIS and V's high INT are striking and contrasting examples of different kinds of "smarts"), sometimes characters don't really seem to reflect their ability scores that well.

Take Tsukiko, for example. I remember a debate about her WIS, which, judging by her actions (i.e. complete lack of common sense) seems extremely low, and yet she's able to cast Cleric spells that require at least moderate WIS.