PDA

View Full Version : Can a rogue disable this?

killem2
2014-03-19, 11:36 AM
The following device:

fluff
This room is full of flickering bluish light and a breeze that smells like thunderstorms. The floor slopes down toward the center from all directions, like a funnel. At the bottom cackles a sparkling globe of lightning. A metallic spike protruding down from a stone block in the ceiling touches the very tip of the globe's upper curve. Inside the globe floats a human figure, a man with a long dark beard wearing torm and stained red robes.

Tempest Globe: CR 10; magic device; location trigger; automatic reset; no attack roll required (8d6 electrical, DC 20 Reflex half plus possible temporal stasis); Search DC 10; Disable Device DC 35·

This trap is triggered when you enter the room, and if you fail after taking damage, it traps you.

Can a Rogue use their search/disable device skills from outside the room if they see what is causing the trap?

Diarmuid
2014-03-19, 11:58 AM
This sounds like an "encounter trap" from dungeonscape. Might be worth checking in there to see how similar things might be handled.

In general, if it has a Disable Device DC listed, then in theory...it's disable-able.

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-19, 12:23 PM
The rogue opens the door and takes 10 searching the area just past the opening.

"Guys, this room is obviously trapped, let me disable it. Looks like lightning"

He then pulls out his handy masterwork set of disable tools and throws a metal lined weighted string into the ball of lightning, shorting it out.

"Magic is discharged as long as the string is grounding the magic, safe to come through now."

CyberThread
2014-03-19, 12:38 PM
The rogue opens the dopartor and takes 10 searching the area just past the opening.

"Guys, this room is obviously trapped, let me disable it. Looks like lightning"

He then pulls out his handy masterwork set of disable tools and throws a metal lined weighted string into the ball of lightning, shorting it out.

"Magic is discharged as long as the string is grounding the magic, safe to come through now."

Yep and would not require a knowledge cheeck. Just a disable devices roll like a bardic knowledge cheeck

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-19, 12:43 PM
Note, unless he is REALLY good at disabling traps, a rogue who finds this think could easily find he sets it off when he attempts to disable it.

Slipperychicken
2014-03-19, 01:07 PM
Note, unless he is REALLY good at disabling traps, a rogue who finds this think could easily find he sets it off when he attempts to disable it.

Just use the normal rules: If he fails the check by 5 or more, that means he springs it.

killem2
2014-03-20, 10:38 AM
This sounds like an "encounter trap" from dungeonscape. Might be worth checking in there to see how similar things might be handled.

In general, if it has a Disable Device DC listed, then in theory...it's disable-able.

It might be, I got this from the age of worms module: a gathering of winds. It's basically a room that has a friend trapped in this globe, and the trap is an iron spike.

The iron spike could be destroyed to stop the trap but the spike is coming from the ceiling. The trap triggers the moment anyone walks into the room.

this is the room.

http://i57.tinypic.com/or19om.jpg

My concern is, if the players don't think to destroy it first, or the rogue can get to it, and they get hit by the trap and sucked in, TPK, thanks for playing :P

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-20, 10:42 AM
By definition the rogue can disable a trap without setting it off. This could mean that his skill allows him to get closer without setting it off (if he rolled well), or that he knows some means of disabling it without getting closer (but he risks setting it off anyway if he doesn't roll well).

The rules are the same ether way. He makes his check, he disables the trap.

killem2
2014-03-20, 10:46 AM
By definition the rogue can disable a trap without setting it off. This could mean that his skill allows him to get closer without setting it off (if he rolled well), or that he knows some means of disabling it without getting closer (but he risks setting it off anyway if he doesn't roll well).

The rules are the same ether way. He makes his check, he disables the trap.

Works for me then :)