PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Expanded D. Necro. Spell List (and other features) [PEACH]

Cloud
2014-03-19, 11:45 AM
Hey everyone, I was hoping to get some feedback on an adjusted Dread Necromancer spell list. It does add quite a few new spells, but at the same time there a few omissions or shift in levels from the old list, with the hope that it'll keep the class tier 3. Feedback if it's too much in general is great, as is comments on any of the spells being misleveled, or any spells that you think should be obvious that are missing. I figured some people might be interested so I'll probably also update this with some changes we made to the class itself, but the spell list was what I needed feedback on the most. When evaluating the level of the spells, the DM is giving access to spell levels as class level/2 rounded up, like the wizard for example, instead of class level/2 rounded down like a sorcerer.

Spell List
Blue means an existing spell on the list was changed level, becoming a lower level, red means that an existing spell on the list changed level, becoming a higher level, green is a new spell to the list at the same level compared to other classes, purple is a new spell to the list but a higher level compared to other classes, orange is a new spell to the list but at a lower level compared to other classes, and a strikethrough is a removed spell.

0th Level Spells
Chill touch, detect magic, disrupt undead, detect undead, hide from undead, inflict minor wounds.

1st Level Spells
Bane, bestow wounds, cause fear, darkness, death knell, death's call, disguise undead, gentle repose, inflict light wounds, spectral hand, stone bones, summon undead I, undetectable alignment.

2nd Level Spells
Blindness/deafness, bonefiddle, command undead, desecrate, doom, false life, ghoul glyph, ghoul touch, inflict moderate wounds, ray of enfeeblement, ray of weakness, scare, skull watch, stolen breath, summon swarm, summon undead II.

3rd Level Spells
Animate dead, bestow curse, caustic smoke, contagion, crushing despair, death ward, dispel magic, halt undead, inflict serious wounds, Kelgore's grave mist ray of exhaustion, speak with dead, summon undead III, vampiric touch.

4th Level Spells
Burning blood, death ward, Evard's black tentacles, fear, giant vermin, inflict critical wounds, iron bones, phantasmal killer, poison, summon undead IV.

5th Level Spells
Blight, channeled lifetheft, cloudkill, cryptwarden's grasp, door of decay, enervation, fire in the blood, ghoul gauntlet, insect plague, lesser planar binding, magic jar, mass inflict light wounds, night's caress, nightmare, oath of blood, revive undead slay living, summon undead V, touch of Vecna, undeath to death, unhallow, waves of fatigue.

6th Level Spells
Awaken undead, circle of death, create undead, eyebite, geas/quest, greater dispel magic, harm, planar binding, ray of entropy.

7th Level Spells
Acid fog, avasculate, control undead, destruction, evil glare, finger of death, flensing, greater bestow curse, greater harm, mass inflict serious wounds, plague, song of discord, vile death, waves of exhaustion.

8th Level Spells
Avascular mass, blackfire, create greater undead, horrid wilting, mass harm, mass inflict critical wounds, and symbol of death.

9th Level Spells
Detonate, energy drain, imprisoned soul, plague of undeath, power word kill, wail of the banshee.

I should probably put my reasoning up instead of making people read the entire thread, I'll get to all of the changes, but first the removed spells;
Removed Spells:
Bane:Not worth casting, a penalty so minor you'll forget it, and a save stops it. Probably fitting to the list if you wanted to keep it, but it creates clutter.
Bestow Wounds: Not worth casting because of the material component, if the DM will remove it for you, it might be worth keeping for niche uses.
Summon Swarm: Not worth casting, the whole you don't control them and they persist after you stop concentration is lame.
Crushing Despair: Not worth casting, don't cast a save penalty spell that allows a save, if they fail that save you should have used a save or suck against them instead.
Death Ward: Not actually removed, just that there are two copies of this spell on the DN spell list.
Fire in the Blood: Not worth casting.
Insect Plague: Not worth casting.
Lesser Planar Binding: This spell doesn't fit the spell list, and is far too powerful. I'd rather just remove it.
Magic Jar: This spell is fitting to the spell list...but is removed because it's cheesy. If your DM is cheese tolerant or if you promise to play nice, might as well put it back on the list.
Nightmare: Not a combat fear spell (or technically a fear spell at all), and not a spell I think is really worth casting. If you like the flavour of the spell though you can keep it on the list, but it seems like petty evil to me.
Oath of Blood: Not worth casting, and seems more like a beguiler thing (in that making geas, an enchantment, do more).
Slay Living: Pretty much no one is going to agree with me here, but a spell list only need so many save or dies, and I really don't like one sitting right there at 5th level (4th level does have phantasmal killer but the chance of it actually killing someone is much slimmer). So this is a combination of not worth casting (use a save or lose with an effect on a save) and just a personal note of not liking spells like this, feel free to add it back to the spell list if you wish.
Undeath to death: Lots of what I said on Slay Living applies here too, though undead to death has a material component and you have other ways to defeat undead so this is more because it's not worth casting.
Unhallow: More of a DM spell, or at least a spell you wouldn't cast often, and not important enough to the class to leave cluttering up the list, and if they can have unhallow but not desecrate, I see no reason why they can't have desecrate, and then not unhallow.
Circle of Death: I don't like save or dies, particularly before 7th level spells if they only have one save. This spell fits the list though, so feel free to re-add it, though with the material component it should never be cast anyway.
Planar Binding: See lesser planar binding.
Song of Discord: This always seemed out of place to me, a bard spell that causes confusion basically, when nothing else on the spell list does? I believe this spell was basically tacked on because they needed to pad out the list, but with newer books we have better options than to do that.

Note: A fair question here would be if I'm removing spells not worth casting, why did I keep all the inflict spells and greater harm, and basically because the 1st level inflict is worth using to have a 'super-charged' charnel touch at 1st level, and harm is very worth having, and I couldn't justify having them on the list, and not the others.

Changed Features
Charnel Touch (Su): Negative energy flows through a dread necromancer’s body, concentrating in her hands. At will, but no more than once per round, she can make a melee touch attack as a standard action that deals 1d8 per 2 dread necromancer levels negative energy damage to the touched creature. Additionally she adds her Charisma modifier as a profane bonus to the damage (this bonus cannot exceed her dread necromancer level). Creatures that are healed by negative energy (such as most undead) are healed as normal by this ability. A dread necromancer can use the spectral hand spell to deliver this attack from a distance, but only if she doesn't have a touch spell ready to discharge.
Charnel touch is a weapon-like ability (meaning among other things it can critically hit), it is however while certainly an attack (for breaking effects like invisibility), not an 'attack action', in that one cannot make an attack of opportunity or full attack with this ability, using charnel touch is a discrete standard action. Charnel touch also while being a touch attack, and one that can be used through the spectral hand spell, is a supernatural ability so it is not a touch spell, it doesn't leave a charge if the dread necromancer misses (which matters little to them when they can use the ability at will). As should be obvious when charnel touch is a supernatural ability that needs a standard action to use, you can't use this ability and cast a touch spell in the same action (however a touch spell you have cast previously and have yet to be discharged will be discharged if charnel touch hits, as would touching anything as normal).
The damage on charnel touch was made to scale better so that it would be useful at all levels, so long as you continue to take dread necromancer levels. Otherwise bulk of the changes was to clarify how the effect works, with some redundancy in the description to make it as clear as possible.

Negative Energy Burst (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, a dread necromancer gains the ability to emit a burst of negative energy from her body as a standard action, targeting all creature within 5 feet of her (excluding herself). This burst deal 1d6 negative energy damage per dread necromancer level, with a successful Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 dread necromancer level + Charisma modifier) reducing this damage to half. Creatures healed by negative energy (such as most undead) are healed as normal by this ability. A dread necromancer can use this ability three times per day.
The original ability assumed a living dread necromancer using this ability, and described the ability as a burst emitting from her body. The RAI seems obvious that it would exclude the user, so this was made clear. The uses per day increased at lower levels so that the amount of damage this ability does matters a bit more to the dread necromancer, which combined with the increase scaling hopefully make the ability worth considering when deciding to prestige class out of not. Overall the uses at higher levels is down (3 compared to 4), but the ability is also doing d6 damage per level instead of d4.

Advanced Learning (Ex): At 7th level, a dread necromancer can add a new spell to her spell list, representing the result of personal study and experimentation, possibly outside of her field. The spell can be a cleric or sorcerer/wizard spell of the necromancy school, and of a level no higher than that of the highest-level spell the dread necromancer already knows. Alternatively a sorcerer/wizard spell of the; conjuration school (except those of the calling subschool), the transmutation school (except those of the polymorph subschool), or one outside of the school of necromancy with the fear or death descriptor, can be selected however the spell is treated and learned as one level higher (for example a 7th level sorcerer/wizard conjuration spell without the calling subschool would be learnt and cast as a 8th level spell, and could only be selected if the dread necromancer could cast 8th level spells). Any other sorcerer/wizard spells except for those of the enchantment school or illusion school can be selected as well but these are learnt as two levels higher. Finally a sorcerer/wizard spell of the enchantment school or illusion school (and not with the fear or death descriptor, see above) can still be learned, but at three levels higher. Once a new spell is selected, it is added to that dread necromancer's spell list and can be cast like any other spell she knows. When selecting a necromancy spell if it is both a cleric and a sorcerer/wizard spell, use the lower of the two spell levels to determine what level the spell is for a dread necromancer. If a spell has multiple schools, pick the one that would be most advantageous to you. Prestige classes that advance spells known do not apply to this feature. A dread necromancer gains a new spell at 9th, 11th, 13th, 15th, 17th, and 19th level.
Normally a dread necromancer gains advanced learning at 4th level, and then one every 4 levels thereafter, so this ability has been delayed 3 levels, but eventually it catches up and overtakes the old progression. Basically more incentive to take the base class over prestige classing out, and also to stop a weird thing where you want to leave the class and come back to change the spell level that advanced learning applies too. Advanced learning is normally only necromancy spells, but it includes a nerfed version of eclectic learning option in PHB2 for the warmage (which let them pick freely between advanced learning for evocation, or from any school at the cost of a level). The various level differences aren't so much linked to balance but flavour, the dread necromancer was already good at conjuration, and transmutation thematically is the closest school to necromancy, while illusion and enchantment were the furthest. It was also cleared up that it doesn't get advanced by prestige classes that increase spells known (not that many people agreed with that RAW ruling anyway, but worth adding anyway).

Yawgmoth
2014-03-19, 01:15 PM
Animate Dead should be a 1st level spell for DNs. You already have to pay for the undead by the HD, I see no reason to make necromancers wait until they are almost half way through their progression (or a third in your list's case) to do the most classic of necromancy spells.

Cloud
2014-03-19, 01:42 PM
Well they get animate dead at 5th level now (so 1/4 of the way in), it being a 3rd level spell and them gaining spell levels like prepared casters do, which is equal to a cleric. Plus the DN is probably the best rebuker in the game so even early on (from level 2) they can take control of undead they find. So yeah, I'm a bit worried by giving them access to animate dead before even the cleric can. I did move gentle repose to level 1 with the idea that if you kill something you like you can now keep it until the point you can animate it.

I could see an argument for making the spell 2nd level (at level 1 you wouldn't have the GP, at level 2 desecrate is one level away), but gold would still be tight, and I imagine it might make DMs knee jerk into banning the entire list, so I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Yawgmoth
2014-03-19, 04:57 PM
2nd level would probably work if you're getting wizard progression on spells.

Cloud
2014-03-20, 12:30 AM
Well if I get more feedback it should be moved to 2nd level I'll move it, but for now I'm happy to keep it at 3rd level, personally I'd rather not abuse minionmancy too much (for the sake of the DM or other players) and actually expand the spell list enough they can contribute outside of that reliably.

I mean yes a big part of being a necromancer is the minions of course, but still ultimately the Dread Necromancer at least as far as the class description goes is about throwing out offensive necromancy while you study turning yourself into an undead. Moving animate dead to 3rd level was mostly so someone wouldn't go "Man I wish I was just a cleric already...".

Edit: And I really should have posted this in homebrew, this is what I get for making threads late at night. XD

Sception
2014-03-20, 06:13 AM
Animate dead is a pretty potent spell, and the material component cost is not a significant check on that. If lower level classical necromancy is desired, a 'lesser animate dead' spell is probably more appropriate than simply granting early access to the full version. Maybe target a single creature of hit dice no greater than the caster, and have control of just that creature, with further castings setting the earlier minion free? Have it be separate from the hit die pool of animate dead, so it remains potentially relevant later?

Otherwise, ime the summon spells do a decent job of minioning early on without bogging the game down, so I wouldn't consider it a desperate need.

As for the variant spell list, I'm away from my books while on break, if you could perhaps put in bold, or note in a separate list, the differences between this and the original spell list, that would be helpful for feedback.

Cloud
2014-03-20, 06:33 AM
Yeah, that was basically my thought too. I believe pathfinder has a lesser animate dead spell, but I'm quite happy with how 'minionmancy' the Dread Necromancer can be as is.

As for bolding things that's a great idea...I actually did that on the word doc I put together for the DM, and I guess I just got lazy here. ^^" I'll fix that now.

Sception
2014-03-20, 10:23 AM
The changes to advanced learning seem like a bit much, as does the inclusion of a few spells that aren't quite perfectly within the dread necro's purview, and would normally be available by advanced learning, anyway. Grave Mist in particular sticks out here.

I think plague of undead can stay at level 9. Its capstony enough, and without it theres not a level nine classical necromany spell, while level 8 already has create greater undead. Honestly, bumping animate dead back to 4th and adding lesser and greater versions at 2nd and 6th or 7th might make for a more natural progression.

Whyever would you remove nightmare? Seems like a natural extension of the class's fear theme. Removal of magic jar also seems odd, though I suppose it can be restored via advanced learning, so swapping it out for more on-theme spells like awaken undead and revive undead seems fine.

Desecrate is kind of a hallmark of divine necromancy, so I'm not entirely sure it's appropriate to hand it out to dread necros, particularly at the same spell level as clerics, but it's also a fairly cheap downtime spell, so its not like the restriction of not having it on the spell list really matters all that much, since ime dread necs have it when they want it, anyhow.

I approve of removing planar binding, even if it is a significant power drop. Part of the fun of a necro is actually having to find your corpses, rather than just ordering up whichever ones you want. That said, adding in at least the lesser planar ally spell, or one or two basic divinations, could build into the infernal source of their knowledge theme present in the improved familiar options.

Apart from what has been mentioned already, you maybe add a few more spells numerically than I would have, but it looks like a decent list, overall. While you're editing the dread nec, you might consider specifying that the charnal tough and negative energy burst do not affect the user, making tomb tainted less of an automatic first feat and necropolitan less of a default career advancement move. Both would remain good choices, but they'd actually be choices at that point.

Cloud
2014-03-20, 11:23 AM
The changes to advanced learning are actually a weaker version of eclectic learning that the Warmage can use in PHB2, which can be switched freely for advanced learning and is any school at +1 level. While I feel it's a bit odd they can, if a warmage can managed that type of learning, I'm sure a dread necromancer can too. The various level differences aren't so much linked to balance but flavour, the dread necromancer was already good at conjuration (summon undead, acid fog, before they got nixed planar binding), and transmutation thematically is the closest school to necromancy, while illusion and enchantment are the furthest. As for actually moving it to 9th level and changing the progression, that was more, if you want some nice few spells, actually be a dread necromancer, don't prestige class out.

Grave mist I was and am still on the fence about, however they natively get access to acid fog, so, I don't know, an offensive necromancy/conjuration is sort of fitting. But again for some reason despite that it feels off. >.< I was considering making it 3rd because of the power of the spell...but anyone wanting it for fell animate might still burn an advanced learning on the original. ...Lots of me rambling and I'm not sure if I want to leave it, remove it, or bump it up a level, I'll sleep on this one. Plague of undeath I actually nearly nixed for being useless, but the cost of only 100 gp made me keep it in the end; it didn't feel so much capstone worth as 'this is mildly convenient'. I would have made it a lower level but 7th level already has a ton of spells and generally when spell levels differ it's by one. If someone can sell me on the spell I'm all ears but it just doesn't actually seem that useful.

Magic jar is actually really fitting, but it got removed for cheese reasons, not for theme reasons. Which is a similar reason as to why ray of enfeeblement say is second level now (ideally I'd change the spell, but while the DM is fine with homebrewing a class only I'm using, well, everyone uses spells). Nightmare I removed for two reasons, the first being where I could I removed spells I thought were just...bad (as is the case with bane, bestow wounds, fire in the blood, insect plague, and oath of blood), and the second because it's an illusion spell which while evil isn't actually a fear spell. While the list has plenty of evil spells to be sure, they're either to create undead or to attack people, nightmare just felt it was there to be...petty.

Desecrate was added because at no point do I want a player of a dread necromancer to go, "Man, I wish I was a cleric for no reason other than they'd be a better necromancer than me." Admittedly while desecrate might be a hallmark of divine necromancy, from a fluff point of view they can already rebuke undead, and use unhallow which is basically in terms of flavour I think is fair to say just a bigger desecrate (in that they're both evil evocations that make an area unholy, mechanically I know they're different).

Number wise...yeah, it's quite a few, this is it actually pruned down when I slapped myself and reminded myself they're spontaneous casters that know they're whole list, stop it. XD Still it's smaller than a beguiler's list, and there is a lot of overlap (there are so many save or dies on that list...), or lots of weak spells that just repeat, like the inflict line.

Before I make any changes I'll sleep on it, last time I posted serious stuff late at night it went to the wrong forum area ( =P ). Also actually we've made a few changes to the Dread Necromancer, as might be evident by the changed advanced learning and spell progression, but was sticking with the spell list for now because I figure if another player wanted to use this, just a changed spell list is easier to present to the DM then an entire class. That and I'm probably the person most experience with spells in our party, but balancing my own work is a weak point, so this was the part I needed feedback on most. I can change a class feature and have the party go yay or nay, if I move some spells around, they look at me blankly. ^^" If there was interest I could throw up the entire class I suppose though, but on the charnal touch and negative energy burst, I basically told the DM that I don't want to be undead, for the most part it's just cheesy, free immunities and the class is meant to be about becoming undead. I also pointed out tomb-tainted soul and between the class fluff and character back story I got tomb-tainted soul for free at level 1, and those abilities actually have been deliberately worded to effect me. Anyway, sleep, I need it, before I go though, some more directed questions about spells.

Spells outside the necromancy school:
- Ray of clumsiness: This is technically transmutation (wiz 1), but the spell literally stiffens muscles and joints, which is still fairly necromantic I thought. In any case the spell was put at 2nd level (also because wow, that's a pretty substantial penalty) but I'm wondering if people think it doesn't fit?
- Disguise undead: Probably pretty obviously this is illusion, not necromancy. The list even as standard has non-necromancy spells that are utility in nature (undetectable alignment as abjuration say), but still, I'm not sure if this is too much or not.
- Flensing: This is actually an 8th level transmutation, and just...purely evil in terms of what it does. While the effect wasn't that great I thought when rocket launcher tag is well and truly in play, I thought fluff wise this was perfect. If the school is an issue though, let me know.
- Door of decay: Is conjuration...but even has a note that dread necromancers can learn the spell with advanced learning without it being necromancy. Considering it can't take the rest of the party with them I couldn't see anyone spending advanced learning on it...but the idea of walking through a zombie to another was to cool not to add.

Removing spells:
Is there any spell on the list that is either useless or so completely overlaps with something else on the list at the same level or lower that you'd never cast it? Greater harm nearly got this treatment but someone pointed out to me it's ranged, so, that's something I guess, maybe you need to heal your undead buddy but can't touch him. Or of course any spell you think really doesn't fit, on the orginal list or otherwise. For example I took off song of discord because the dread necromancer gets not abilities related to confusion or insanity...and then they get a bard only spell that's enchantment without the fear or death descriptors and is basically a confusion-esk effect.

Cloud
2014-03-21, 09:49 AM
Ended up making some changes, removing some of the more random necromancy spells that while nice, overlapped a bit with existing spells. Revive undead being acquired that early was actually a mistake, it was meant to be on par with the deathbound domain, not better, so that's been fixed. I also put nightmare back on the list, and move grave mist to 3rd level.

Cloud
2014-04-01, 03:57 AM
Changed the spell list some more after getting a chance to play it while the forum was down, and put up some of the changed class features.