PDA

View Full Version : Tome of Battle Strike Questions

Abbul
2014-03-19, 01:03 PM
1. Is it possible to combine a Strike with other "features"? Example- a charge attack that requires a full round to initiate, can it be combined to add Shock Trooper, Leap Attack, Pounce or its equivalent, Valorous weapon enhancement, and or Rhino's Rush? Or a standard action Strike with Power Attack or a full attack (I doubt that)?

2. Can any weapon be used to activate the Strikes/ boosts/ Stances? Like I want a Greataxe or an exotic weapon that is modeled after a Greataxe, can I use it for White Raven?

3. If a character has no level in the ToB classes, can he use his half level initiator level to use any "school", like White Raven, Stone Dragon, etc.

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-19, 01:14 PM
1 - No

2 - Yes

3 - Yes, but there are catches. You have an initiator level for EACH class you have things prepared through. You use your warblade IL for all stuff you use your warblade readied maneuvers to prepare, and you can add non-warblade schools to that through PRC's and feats. A warblade X / Swordsage X uses his swordsage IL for things he prepares in his swordsage slots, even if he also knows the maneuver as a warblade..

Terazul
2014-03-19, 01:17 PM
1. Is it possible to combine a Strike with other "features"? Example- a charge attack that requires a full round to initiate, can it be combined to add Shock Trooper, Leap Attack, Pounce or its equivalent, Valorous weapon enhancement, and or Rhino's Rush? Or a standard action Strike with Power Attack or a full attack (I doubt that)?
Generally, yes. Does the maneuver in question say "you perform a charge attack"? If so, then apply all the other things that apply to charge attacks. Example, Battle Leader's Charge (White Raven) has you make a charge attack as a full-round action that deals 10 additional damage. Bonuses from Valorous enhancement, Shock Trooper (The Heedless Charge usage at least), Rhino's Rush, and even things like the Leading the Charge stance will add to it. Directed Bull Rush use of Shock Trooper would not, probably, as doing a bull rush as part of a charge is a different action type not described in the maneuver. Leap attack I'm actually not so sure on, but I think it also applies since it just has you performing a charge as normal (and jumping along the way). Power Attack can be used on any melee attack, so safe to use on anything that has you rolling an attack roll as part of your strike. Same with Combat Expertise. Full-Attacks no, because a Full Attack is a special type of full-round action. Can't perform a standard (or full-round) strike and still do a full-attack. There are some maneuvers that have you perform a full attack as part of the strike, but that's different.

2. Can any weapon be used to activate the Strikes/ boosts/ Stances? Like I want a Greataxe or an exotic weapon that is modeled after a Greataxe, can I use it for White Raven? ?
Yup. Maneuvers don't care what weapon you're using with them (as long as it's melee). Discipline weapons are more of a fluff thing, and only really applicable to a few class features/feats such as Discipline Weapon Focus and all that jazz.

3. If a character has no level in the ToB classes, can he use his half level initiator level to use any "school", like White Raven, Stone Dragon, etc.
Well, you get half your levels in non-initiator classes to initiator level, but you can't get any maneuvers without either A) Maneuver Progression from an initiator class, B) Magic Item shenanigans, or C) taking the Martial Study or Martial Stance feats.

You use your effective initiator level (EIL) to determine what maneuvers you qualify for when taking it. So say if you were a 10th level fighter, you'd have an EIL of 5, and taking Martial Study you'd qualify for 3rd level Maneuvers (assuming they didn't have any other prereqs). If he became a Fighter 10/Swordsage 1 later, he'd have a EIL of 6 for his Swordsage maneuvers (5 from Fighter, 1 from Swordsage). If even later he was a Fighter 10/Swordsage 2/Warblade 6, he'd have an EIL of 10 for Swordsage maneuvers (5 from Fighter, 2 from Swordsage, 3 from Warblade), but 12 for Warblade maneuvers (5 from Fighter, 1 from Swordsage, 6 from Warblade). So essentially half your levels from any class that's not your primary initiating one add to it, but if you have multiple initiator classes you calculate them separately. So yes, I guess? To your question: Your IL will apply to all schools, but you have to get access to them first.

**Edit:** Typed 17 on Warblade for some reason. Weird.

HammeredWharf
2014-03-19, 01:43 PM
To be clear about 1): if a maneuver says you perform a charge attack, you perform a charge attack. However, if a maneuver doesn't say that and isn't a swift/immediate/free action, you can't use it while charging, because maneuvers themselves aren't attacks. They're actions that may contain attacks

So, for example, you can pounce while using Searing Charge, but can't perform Emerald Razor during a charge.

Abbul
2014-03-19, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the replies.

It appears for higher level characters that dip into ToB would get so much more out of something that adds 10 damage on a charge attack (with Valorous + Rhino's Rush that's 30 damage, add a crit and excellent) than some strike that's a few extra d6 and a standard action, disallowing a full attack. Of course, charging like that usually means dead enemy anyway.

Good to hear about the weapon thing.

Terazul
2014-03-19, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the replies.

It appears for higher level characters that dip into ToB would get so much more out of something that adds 10 damage on a charge attack (with Valorous + Rhino's Rush that's 30 damage, add a crit and excellent) than some strike that's a few extra d6 and a standard action, disallowing a full attack. Of course, charging like that usually means dead enemy anyway.

Good to hear about the weapon thing.

Well you can also grab things that aren't just damage; classic martial characters have plenty of damage, what they lack is options, which is the general appeal of ToB. Swift/Move action teleports, attacks that deal decent damage that still let them move around the battlefield, attacks that do other things like reposition, debuff enemies, or buff allies. Use concentration in place of saves, use a boost to add to your full attack from the round, if you're still in a good position for that.