PDA

View Full Version : Samurai Weapon Enhancement Advice/Help

ak grown
2014-03-19, 01:24 PM
I'm playing a lvl 2 Golden Dwarf Samurai and I can't seem to find any ways in which to enhance my Daisho (Masterwork Katana and Wakizashi). As part of becoming a Samurai, I was gifted an heirloom masterwork set of these weapons from my lord and I do not want to replace these weapons for more powerful ones, but instead have them become more powerful as I do.

How can I make this happen without having to pay tons of gold to someone to magically enhance them, or without prestige classing into Kensai?

I've got craft, weaponsmithing +10, can I send the time to make them more powerful?

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Kazudo
2014-03-19, 01:27 PM
Well, they're already masterwork, so aside of magical enhancement, not really. Magical enhancement would be fairly expensive with two weapons, needing to pay around 2000gp to +1 one weapon, 2000gp for a +2. Unless your DM has some houserules he can use to help with that kind of thing.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-03-19, 01:29 PM
There is the Ancestral Relic feat (http://dndtools.eu/feats/book-of-exalted-deeds--52/ancestral-relic--70/)(BoED) that is custom made for this kind of stuff, but it only applies to a single item, so I suggest you ask your DM nicely to be able to use it on the whole Daisho Set.

Incidentally which version of Samurai are you using?

ak grown
2014-03-19, 01:35 PM
I'm playing the Samurai from the Complete Warrior.

While its great that I'm starting the campaign with masterwork weapons, this isn't an issue right now, but I would love to be able to enhance my weapons as I get stronger, ie. maybe have them take on the +1 magical properties to atl/dmg instead of just +1 to atk from it being masterwork and so on and so forth as I get to higher lvls. Maybe have it be +2 by lvl 8 or something like that.

The only way I could see to accomplish this is by taking lvls in Kensai, because a Kensai's weapons become naturally enhanced overtime as they become more skilled in combat. I do not wish to take any prestige classes however. I would like to stick solely to Samurai, and then maybe at lvl 11, go into Ronin...maybe.

Kazudo
2014-03-19, 01:41 PM
Yeah, what you're talking about is almost squarely in the realm of magical modifications.

Magic Item Compendium has some augment crystals you might look into. The least of them require just masterwork, but yeah, you'll eventually have to spend the cash to have them modified. The good news is that, since they're masterwork, they CAN be magically modified without replacing them. And if it's a fluff problem, then the idea is simple: "Master, I wanted to continue using these wonderful weapons, and have simply sought magical enhancement to make sure that their full potential can be unlocked to better help me."

WeaselGuy
2014-03-19, 01:42 PM
It may be overpowered and houseruled to the nine hells and back, but the way my wife is gonna do it (as a new DM) is to just have us pick a few of our preferred items and as we level (at appropriate points) our gear will "level up" accordingly. i.e., my starting mw rapier will be a +1 by 3ish, maybe +1 keen by 6, +2 keen by 9, etc, etc. Kind of like a mashup of legacy weapons and the kensai class.

Kazudo
2014-03-19, 01:46 PM
It may be overpowered and houseruled to the nine hells and back, but the way my wife is gonna do it (as a new DM) is to just have us pick a few of our preferred items and as we level (at appropriate points) our gear will "level up" accordingly. i.e., my starting mw rapier will be a +1 by 3ish, maybe +1 keen by 6, +2 keen by 9, etc, etc. Kind of like a mashup of legacy weapons and the kensai class.

Typically as long as it would match up by something, say, WBL, then I'd probably rule something similar. It would permit me to run a game in a particularly low treasure setting

ak grown
2014-03-19, 01:52 PM

I like the sound of this, however I doubt my DM will go for it quite to that extent, however I will definitely plead my case. This is only my second campaign so I'm still pretty new to this stuff in comparison to most people (although I do spend a lot of time researching).

My last character was a Rogue 10 // Theif-Acrobat 4 so all I did was steal from everybody (including my party), disable traps, and mostly stay hidden since I was virtually useless in fights without the help of my poisons. Also, he acquired a pretty hearty cocaine habbit, making him a little jumpy and unpredictable at times.

So I'd really like to roleplay this guy as well as possible since I barely ever did anything like this with my rogue. This means never replacing my weapons or else I will shame my lord and myself, which could possibly lead me to commit Seppuku. However, the way the Samurai is set up seems like its almost impossible to do otherwise.

Ellowryn
2014-03-19, 02:17 PM
As mentioned above, ancestral relic feat would work, and perhaps if you want to go the "my weapons are a part of me" way the item familiar feat from unearthed arcana compliment this quite well. But yeah, see if you can sweet talk your DM into allowing it on both weapons, or you could technically take both feats but that's a pretty bad option....