PDA

View Full Version : Does this work?

Immabozo
2014-03-19, 02:08 PM
So in my campaign right now, I have the Manifestor added bonus on a weapon I carry, increased to 9pp by storyline. So I am planning on taking the Empower power feat. Now, I use those power points for the "mage armor" power.

So 1 PP for 4 ac, 8 PP for 4 more AC. Now I was hoping to use those PP for 7 AC and then empower it for 10 AC.

So two questions.

1) can I empower a power paid for by points out of a "Manefestor" quality
2) Can empower work on this application (i.e. more AC on Inertial barrier (?) )

Rubik
2014-03-19, 02:10 PM
Empower only works on variable numbers, such as "1d6+3," so no, you can't use it on the Inertial Armor power, I'm afraid.

However, if you wanted to Empower, say, a Ray of Energy, you could do so out of your weapon's pp store.

[Psst. It's "manifester" and "Inertial Armor."]

Immabozo
2014-03-19, 02:18 PM
Empower only works on variable numbers, such as "1d6+3," so no, you can't use it on the Inertial Armor power, I'm afraid.

However, if you wanted to Empower, say, a Ray of Energy, you could do so out of your weapon's pp store.

[Psst. It's "manifester" and "Inertial Armor."]

I know I had the terms wrong, thanks.

and thanks for the quick response

Rubik
2014-03-19, 02:39 PM
I know I had the terms wrong, thanks.

and thanks for the quick responseThe only ways to boost the numbers on a power like Inertial Armor are to increase your manifester level (such as through the Overchannel feat, binding a metamagic rod to your hands chakra, or an orange ioun stone) and to lower the pp cost of the power (such as via the Metapower [Linked Power + Synchronicity] or Midnight Augmentation feats) so you basically get "free augmentation" on the power you use the technique on.

Immabozo
2014-03-19, 03:37 PM
The only ways to boost the numbers on a power like Inertial Armor are to increase your manifester level (such as through the Overchannel feat, binding a metamagic rod to your hands chakra, or an orange ioun stone) and to lower the pp cost of the power (such as via the Metapower [Linked Power + Synchronicity] or Midnight Augmentation feats) so you basically get "free augmentation" on the power you use the technique on.

could I do that (overchannel) even when using the PP from the manifester item? So PP 9 could give me effectively more PP on the power? Therefore, with a +2 ML (at level 12) give me AC 10?

Rubik
2014-03-19, 03:56 PM
could I do that (overchannel) even when using the PP from the manifester item? So PP 9 could give me effectively more PP on the power? Therefore, with a +2 ML (at level 12) give me AC 10?You can only use pp from a single source for each manifestation, so no, that wouldn't work. The pp cost reduction would work, however, as would wild surge, since that seems to be the sole exception to that particular rule (as it explicitly pays the cost for you, and it seems to bypass the "single source" rule, given that you can use both wild surge and your own pp pool to manifest a power).

You're best off using manifester weapons for low-pp cost manifestations, such as with Share Pain (which does not augment) and Expansion (which is always useful regardless of augmentation).

Overchanneling still boosts the manifester level of the manifestation, however, which increases duration and whatnot, so it's still useful even if you don't augment fully.

Immabozo
2014-03-19, 04:37 PM
You can only use pp from a single source for each manifestation, so no, that wouldn't work. The pp cost reduction would work, however, as would wild surge, since that seems to be the sole exception to that particular rule (as it explicitly pays the cost for you, and it seems to bypass the "single source" rule, given that you can use both wild surge and your own pp pool to manifest a power).

You're best off using manifester weapons for low-pp cost manifestations, such as with Share Pain (which does not augment) and Expansion (which is always useful regardless of augmentation).

Overchanneling still boosts the manifester level of the manifestation, however, which increases duration and whatnot, so it's still useful even if you don't augment fully.

Right, I was thinking it worked similar to Wild Surge, upon a second reading, I see what you mean.

I am using one manifester item at 3 pp for share pain and was using the other, 9 pp, for inertial barrier. Should I not use it for inertial barrier? At this point, level 12, it lasts the entire adventuring day already, or close enough to it. And I figure having AC the same as if I wore full plate to be a good idea, not really seeing the need to go significantly farther, especially with the low-op of my game. Already being extremely effective and near encounter breaking already (very good at battlefield control).

Rubik
2014-03-19, 07:03 PM
Right, I was thinking it worked similar to Wild Surge, upon a second reading, I see what you mean.

I am using one manifester item at 3 pp for share pain and was using the other, 9 pp, for inertial barrier. Should I not use it for inertial barrier? At this point, level 12, it lasts the entire adventuring day already, or close enough to it. And I figure having AC the same as if I wore full plate to be a good idea, not really seeing the need to go significantly farther, especially with the low-op of my game. Already being extremely effective and near encounter breaking already (very good at battlefield control).Inertial Barrier only grants DR 5/-, and it doesn't augment. It has nothing to do with your AC.

Immabozo
2014-03-19, 07:56 PM
Inertial Barrier only grants DR 5/-, and it doesn't augment. It has nothing to do with your AC.

Sorry, Inertial Armor. I am still trying to get all the names right

Rubik
2014-03-19, 08:07 PM
It's your choice as to whether you should fully manifest Inertial Armor or use your weapon's pp to manifest it. If you think your AC is high enough already, spend your personal pp on other things.

Immabozo
2014-03-19, 08:13 PM
It's your choice as to whether you should fully manifest Inertial Armor or use your weapon's pp to manifest it. If you think your AC is high enough already, spend your personal pp on other things.

fair enough. Thanks.

What would you consider the best personal buff? Outside the vigor + share pain + psicrystal combo

Rubik
2014-03-19, 08:19 PM
fair enough. Thanks.

What would you consider the best personal buff? Outside the vigor + share pain + psicrystal comboPersisted Concealing Amorpha. Persistent Power is in Hyperconscious, and makes the power it affects last 24 hours. Concealing Amorpha gives you full concealment, which means you're immune to sneak attacks and attacks of opportunity and everything that targets you directly. Furthermore, all attacks (ranged, melee, and touch) are all made at 50% miss chance.

That, or Metamorphosis, which gives you so very much, including type and subtype changes, which can grant a huge number of immunities.

Immabozo
2014-03-19, 09:13 PM
Persisted Concealing Amorpha. Persistent Power is in Hyperconscious, and makes the power it affects last 24 hours. Concealing Amorpha gives you full concealment, which means you're immune to sneak attacks and attacks of opportunity and everything that targets you directly. Furthermore, all attacks (ranged, melee, and touch) are all made at 50% miss chance.

That, or Metamorphosis, which gives you so very much, including type and subtype changes, which can grant a huge number of immunities.

those are very good, however I am afraid of too-much opt-fu for my group. I was hoping for something a bit more mid ranged. I guess asking for "the best" was a bad phrasing idea, haha

Rubik
2014-03-19, 09:34 PM
those are very good, however I am afraid of too-much opt-fu for my group. I was hoping for something a bit more mid ranged. I guess asking for "the best" was a bad phrasing idea, hahaThen maybe just stick with [Contingent] Greater Concealing Amorpha. Or Contingency + Synchronicity + manifest GCA.

Oh, and it's Greater Concealing Amorpha I was talking about earlier. The regular Concealing Amorpha is only 20% miss chance. Sorry.

Immabozo
2014-03-19, 11:21 PM
Then maybe just stick with [Contingent] Greater Concealing Amorpha. Or Contingency + Synchronicity + manifest GCA.

Oh, and it's Greater Concealing Amorpha I was talking about earlier. The regular Concealing Amorpha is only 20% miss chance. Sorry.

I totally overlooked GCA, wow, that is a great one!

and Contigency is one I am about to take, just got level 12 (took crystal form at 11 for story line reasons)

Rubik
2014-03-19, 11:29 PM
I totally overlooked GCA, wow, that is a great one!

and Contigency is one I am about to take, just got level 12 (took crystal form at 11 for story line reasons)Make sure to take Energy Conversion when you can take 7th level powers, and have Energy Wall at the ready to charge it up for all-day blasting.

Immabozo
2014-03-20, 12:25 AM
Make sure to take Energy Conversion when you can take 7th level powers, and have Energy Wall at the ready to charge it up for all-day blasting.

ooooo, I like that!

Rubik
2014-03-20, 12:34 AM
ooooo, I like that!You can also use Overchannel, Split Psionic Ray, Chain Power, your psicrystal, a shared Schism (with Metamorphosis to turn your psicrystal into something not immune to [mind-affecting] effects), and (Greater) Psionic Shot for some very tasty damage. You, your Schism, your psicrystal, and your psicrystal's Schism each get two rays at 3 x your Overchanneled ML damage, each of which Chains to your Overchanneled ML# targets (+2d6 or +4d6 damage, of course).

Very, very economical, especially once you can start piling on the metapsionics.

Immabozo
2014-03-20, 01:36 AM
You can also use Overchannel, Split Psionic Ray, Chain Power, your psicrystal, a shared Schism (with Metamorphosis to turn your psicrystal into something not immune to [mind-affecting] effects), and (Greater) Psionic Shot for some very tasty damage. You, your Schism, your psicrystal, and your Psicrystal each get two rays at 3 x your Overchanneled ML damage, each of which Chains to your Overchanneled ML# targets (+2d6 or +4d6 damage, of course).

Very, very economical, especially once you can start piling on the metapsionics.

mind = blown. Rubik, your screen name is very applicable. I bet you came up with the cube, right?

Rubik
2014-03-20, 10:38 AM
mind = blown. Rubik, your screen name is very applicable. I bet you came up with the cube, right?Honestly, I've never actually solved a Rubik's cube. :smallmad:

Also, add in Aligned Attack (Chaos or Evil) and a greater chasuble of fell power for additional d6's of damage.

Immabozo
2014-03-20, 11:49 AM
Honestly, I've never actually solved a Rubik's cube. :smallmad:

Also, add in Aligned Attack (Chaos or Evil) and a greater chasuble of fell power for additional d6's of damage.

Neither have I, but I got one level right once!

What is a greater chasuble of fell power and where can I find it?

Rubik
2014-03-20, 12:19 PM
Neither have I, but I got one level right once!

What is a greater chasuble of fell power and where can I find it?A magic vest from Complete Arcane. It adds d6's to attacks (and spells) which are aligned to Chaos or Evil, and is meant to help warlocks on their less-than-impressive damaging abilities.

Now just look at these:
http://geekologie.com/2013/03/12/circular-spinning-rubiks-cube-3.jpg
http://cdn.instructables.com/FBB/6GNY/HE080F3H/FBB6GNYHE080F3H.LARGE.jpg
http://www.developer-x.com/_/rsrc/1380032595396/superfluous/experimentation/rubik-s-cube/rubiks.jpg?height=285&width=400

Aracor
2014-03-20, 01:16 PM
You can also use Overchannel, Split Psionic Ray, Chain Power, your psicrystal, a shared Schism (with Metamorphosis to turn your psicrystal into something not immune to [mind-affecting] effects), and (Greater) Psionic Shot for some very tasty damage. You, your Schism, your psicrystal, and your psicrystal's Schism each get two rays at 3 x your Overchanneled ML damage, each of which Chains to your Overchanneled ML# targets (+2d6 or +4d6 damage, of course).

You cannot chain a ray. Rays do not have a target. Otherwise, still an effective trick.

Immabozo
2014-03-20, 03:48 PM
You cannot chain a ray. Rays do not have a target. Otherwise, still an effective trick.

I would say it does, otherwise you would have no one to touch.

That sounds way too dirty.

Those rubik's cubes cannot possibly be solved! They make me cry.

The problem, is I am limited to two books, one is the XHB and I have not declared the other. I think choosing a book for one item, that item must be jaw dropping amazing.

Aracor
2014-03-20, 03:53 PM
I would say it does, otherwise you would have no one to touch.

That sounds way too dirty.

Those rubik's cubes cannot possibly be solved! They make me cry.

The problem, is I am limited to two books, one is the XHB and I have not declared the other. I think choosing a book for one item, that item must be jaw dropping amazing.

Nope, for something to have a target, it needs to have a Target: line. Rays do not, they are simply an effect. You CAN hit someone/something with a ray, but you don't necessarily have to. You can shoot a ray straight up and not hit anything.

Immabozo
2014-03-20, 04:04 PM
Nope, for something to have a target, it needs to have a Target: line. Rays do not, they are simply an effect. You CAN hit someone/something with a ray, but you don't necessarily have to. You can shoot a ray straight up and not hit anything.

I guess you're right. It's stupid, but right.

Immabozo
2014-03-20, 04:07 PM
another question on psionic metapowers. Lets say you manifest an unaugmented astral construct and twin metapower it for 7pp and then twin it again for 13 pp (expending your psifocus and youjr psicrystal's) do you make four level 1 astral constructs? (1, doubled, and then doubled again) or do you one make 3?

Aracor
2014-03-20, 04:53 PM
What makes you think you can apply the same metapsionic feat to a power twice?

Rubik
2014-03-20, 05:39 PM
You cannot chain a ray. Rays do not have a target. Otherwise, still an effective trick.Well, you can still Chain Energy Conversion, since it does have a target line.

Otherwise, I think you can only affect, like, one single power with Chain Power, and that's Weapon of Energy. There just aren't any other powers that work with it.

What makes you think you can apply the same metapsionic feat to a power twice?Because you can apply any metapsionic feat that the power you're manifesting isn't barred from being applied to, and there's nothing whatsoever in any of the rules barring the same metapsionic feat from being applied multiple times (so long as you meet the focus and pp requirements, anyway).

Immabozo
2014-03-20, 06:09 PM
Because you can apply any metapsionic feat that the power you're manifesting isn't barred from being applied to, and there's nothing whatsoever in any of the rules barring the same metapsionic feat from being applied multiple times (so long as you meet the focus and pp requirements, anyway).

IIRC, I think I read somewhere that explicitly states that you can, or at least uses it as an example, as long as you have the feat Psicrystal containment and it doesn't violate the max pp in a single manifestation rule.

So Rubik, was that an indirect answer to my question? What about the question of four vs 3?

Rubik
2014-03-20, 06:13 PM
IIRC, I think I read somewhere that explicitly states that you can, or at least uses it as an example, as long as you have the feat Psicrystal containment and it doesn't violate the max pp in a single manifestation rule.

So Rubik, was that an indirect answer to my question? What about the question of four vs 3?Ask your DM. You're Twinning a Twinned power, so you could get 4, and they're extremely low level constructs, so it's not exactly broken. But this is something the rules don't really cover, so again, ask your DM.

Immabozo
2014-03-20, 09:35 PM
Ask your DM. You're Twinning a Twinned power, so you could get 4, and they're extremely low level constructs, so it's not exactly broken. But this is something the rules don't really cover, so again, ask your DM.

Will do. It is far from broken. But when my responsibility in battle is battlefield control and I force 4 turns of the enemy insta-gibbing my constructs, I think my job was well done.

Rubik
2014-03-20, 09:49 PM
Will do. It is far from broken. But when my responsibility in battle is battlefield control and I force 4 turns of the enemy insta-gibbing my constructs, I think my job was well done.Or they could just ignore them.

Try https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625b

Take The Mind's Eye web enhancement as your other "book" and you'll have plenty of extra, high-quality content to play with.

Immabozo
2014-03-20, 10:21 PM
Or they could just ignore them.

Try https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625b

Take The Mind's Eye web enhancement as your other "book" and you'll have plenty of extra, high-quality content to play with.

I have had the web article suggested to me, but I am unsure if the DM will allow it.

Although I am less than impressed at the defensive bonuses the construct gets against dispell psionics and such. My campaign is so low psionics the I have been told that I am the only psion and people are amazed when they see psionics.

Has made for some fun roleplay

bekeleven
2014-03-20, 11:44 PM
Transparency (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#combiningPsionicAndMagic alEffects)is default, meaning Dispel Magic works as well. It could also mean everyone assumes you're a high-level wizard using Still Spell and Silence Spell all the time. And maybe whatever that +0 metamagic is that changes what spells look like.

Immabozo
2014-03-20, 11:59 PM
Transparency (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#combiningPsionicAndMagic alEffects)is default, meaning Dispel Magic works as well. It could also mean everyone assumes you're a high-level wizard using Still Spell and Silence Spell all the time. And maybe whatever that +0 metamagic is that changes what spells look like.

My DM has ruled they are different. At first I thought I wouldn't like that, but I have been loving it! He throws SR against us often, but never PR, Anti-magic but not anti psionics fields, etc. So I have been loving it so far!