PDA

View Full Version : A system for Monster Hunter

NooDM
2014-03-19, 03:38 PM
After having another play of Monster Tri solo, a thought came to me. This world has detailed monsters and weapons, while being blank to fill other details of world building. It sounded like a good chance to make a good Tabletop experience with a bunch of friends building a tale of hunters getting the best trophies of victory over monstrous enemies.

Which lead me to wonder, what systems of RPG would make a good pen and paper adventure in this world? Good ideas will likely be any system that is good with dealing with combat and resource/craft aspects as these elements will be core. Bonus points go to flexible weapon variations that would allow for simple weapons like sword and shield to exist alongside the complex like switch axes.

Initial ideas go from combat extensive like 3.5 D&D to the rule flexible like Fate, but I think those with more experience then me might have ideas that will work out better than mine.

Going to love giving this idea a go :smallcool:

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-03-19, 03:44 PM
If Monster of the Week (http://genericgames.co.nz/) had a crafting element (the closest you get is the Big Magic move, where you say what you want to do and the GM tells you what special requirements you need to do the ritual), it would be that. Especially because the game is about investigating monsters and filling in the lore of the world as you keep playing.