PDA

View Full Version : The entire vampirism subplot is an allegory for pedophilia

Kruploy
2014-03-19, 04:54 PM
Throughout the course of Malack's interractions with Durkon and his relationship with Nale, I have discerned many signs which point to vampirism acting as a placeholder for pedophilia.

The first of these is Malack's ever present desire to have children of his own. Malack's obsession with children, specifically his desire to grossly violate their souls and defile their bodies into the shape of a vampire, closely mirrors a pedophiliac's own perverse desires and are utterly reprehensible.

Secondly, observe the interaction between Durkon and Malack shortly before their duel. Note that, Durkon views vampirism as an unforgivable crime and rejects all offers of peace from Malack despite Malack's promise of sparing him from his wrath. This exchange is largely similar to that of one between a pedophile and an adult that he is attempting to assure that he is harmless to. True, the adult would be of no interest to the pedophile but he has a duty to prevent his perversion from harming innocents.

Thirdly, Nale is shown to have an extreme hatred towards Malack which he claims existed since he was nine years old. This relationship is grossly similar to that of pedophile and his horribly wronged past victim. Note that, almost all of Nale's insults are levied at Malack's vampirism and all of them serve to show his extreme hatred of it.

All of this and more show vampirism as something a bit more than we are commonly used to. Poor Durkon...

Thoughts?

oppyu
2014-03-19, 05:03 PM
No, it's not.

/threaddone

Cizak
2014-03-19, 05:13 PM
Stretching in ways that should not be stretched.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-03-19, 05:17 PM
No, it's not.

/threaddone

This. We're finished here.

Rakoa
2014-03-19, 05:20 PM
Please, everyone, stop posting on this thread. Allow it to silently die and drift on to page two...

CaDzilla
2014-03-19, 05:54 PM
Most of Nale's insults are based on his race and his dead family, not really anything towards his condition.

Also, the Giant already confirmed that there is nothing sexual in Malack's vampirism or something

137beth
2014-03-19, 06:03 PM
Stretching in ways that should not be stretched.
Specifically, stretching the sanity of the forum in ways that should not be stretched.

Zmeoaice
2014-03-19, 06:11 PM
Thirdly, Nale is shown to have an extreme hatred towards Malack which he claims existed since he was nine years old. This relationship is grossly similar to that of pedophile and his horribly wronged past victim. Note that, almost all of Nale's insults are levied at Malack's vampirism and all of them serve to show his extreme hatred of it.

This would mean that Malack attempted to vampp Nale when he was younger. I don't Malack would do this because he respects Tarquin, and Nale didn't mention this as a reason to why he wanted to kill Malack. He said Malack didn't want to kill him until a few years ago when he killed Malack's children, and if Malack did want to vamp Nale, it means he wanted to technically kill Nale before Nale wanted to kill him, which contradicts what Nale said.

So I doubt it happened.

Codex
2014-03-19, 06:17 PM
Why does everyone assume vampirism is always a metaphor for something? Sometimes draining the blood from a still living body and using unnatural power to morph it into a hideous mockery of what the person once was is just that. That's not a sentence I ever thought I'd get to type.

Tanuki Tales
2014-03-19, 06:19 PM
Why does everyone assume vampirism is always a metaphor for something? Sometimes draining the blood from a still living body and using unnatural power to morph it into a hideous mockery of what the person once was is just that. That's not a sentence I ever thought I'd get to type.

Probably because vampirism more or less originated as an allegory.

Aaaand that's all I'm having to do with this thread.

Rakoa
2014-03-19, 06:31 PM
Probably because vampirism more or less originated as an allegory.

Aaaand that's all I'm having to do with this thread.

I would extend that to Rich's views on fantasy, which to say that if it cannot be related back to the real world, it's just petty escapism (or words to that effect). I believe that Rich intended this in overarching terms, however, not in a case like this. Vampirism as it is shown in the Order of the Stick relates no more to the real world than do Clerics as shown in Order of the Stick.

Which is to say, Vampirism is just Vampirism. Nothing less and nothing more.

Tanuki Tales
2014-03-19, 06:37 PM
I would extend that to Rich's views on fantasy, which to say that if it cannot be related back to the real world, it's just petty escapism (or words to that effect). I believe that Rich intended this in overarching terms, however, not in a case like this. Vampirism as it is shown in the Order of the Stick relates no more to the real world than do Clerics as shown in Order of the Stick.

Which is to say, Vampirism is just Vampirism. Nothing less and nothing more.

That's fine and dandy, but I was talking about why people in general always look for a deeper metaphor when vampirism is used anywhere in fiction.

It's ironic that you replied when you said you wanted this thread to silently drift away and now I'm going to adhere to my want to stop being here with this final reply.

Codex
2014-03-19, 06:47 PM
Remember authors: vampirism is whatever YOU want it to be!

riaierb
2014-03-19, 07:41 PM
No, it's not.

/threaddone

correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MagicalMeat
2014-03-19, 08:31 PM
Ignoring the insanity of the OP's post, Malack, along with Miron and Laurin, are among the LEAST sexual characters in this comic. Malack is an old, wrinkly, pale snake monster that drinks blood in a nasty, unsexual way, and wants to turn an entire continent into Auschwitz. He's not really creepy per say, so much as just vile. I can't see the OP's baseless "theory" as anything but Death of the Author (Get it? Cause Malack's dead? I'm gonna go to stand in this corner now...)

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-03-19, 08:50 PM
Ignoring the insanity of the OP's post, Malack, along with Miron and Laurin, are among the LEAST sexual characters in this comic. Malack is an old, wrinkly, pale snake monster that drinks blood in a nasty, unsexual way, and wants to turn an entire continent into Auschwitz. He's not really creepy per say, so much as just vile. I can't see the OP's baseless "theory" as anything but Death of the Author (Get it? Cause Malack's dead? I'm gonna go to stand in this corner now...)
Agreed. One thing, it's not supposed to be Auschwitz, that comment was suppose to be more like Soylent Green.

Loreweaver15
2014-03-19, 08:58 PM
Agreed. One thing, it's not supposed to be Auschwitz, that comment was suppose to be more like Soylent Green.

It was supposed to evoke slaughterhouses (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14808112#post14808112), actually.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-03-19, 09:01 PM
It was supposed to evoke slaughterhouses (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14808112#post14808112), actually.

You do realize that that quote says "like Soylent Green" in the first sentence, right?

BroomGuys
2014-03-19, 09:20 PM
You do realize that that quote says "like Soylent Green" in the first sentence, right?

Soylent Green is PEOPLE?!

Loreweaver15
2014-03-19, 09:22 PM
Serves me right for going and just grabbing the link based on a half-remembered post (remembering the part where he was talking about doing it because he's a vegetarian). Oh well. My mistake!

Roland St. Jude
2014-03-19, 09:47 PM
Sheriff: We're not going to have a thread about pedophilia.