PDA

View Full Version : Pricing Magic Items

Scalamander
2014-03-19, 09:40 PM
I am trying to price out a magical item that allows one to replace a racial, spell-like ability with another ability of a similar level. What I am wondering is what would be an appropriate cost formula to scale upwards.

My example would be this; Mirrored Mask would cost 270gp. It gives a +1 competence bonus on Bluff checks and allows a Maenad to turn their racial energy ray (sonic) psi-like ability into a demoralize power with a reduced range (let's say 20ft. instead of 30ft.)

I arrived at the cost by putting 100gp for the +1 competence skill bonus and then 2,000gp for demoralize (spell level X manifester level X 2,000gp for use-activated). Then I divided that cost by 5 for only one "charge" per day and then multiplied it by 0.3 for the 30% reduction for a racial-specific usage. Finally I multiplied the skill bonus by 1.5 for being the lowest priced ability of a multiple ability item.

I am wondering if anyone sees any problems with scaling this upwards. As well I want to make allowance for someone taking improved spell-like ability and being able to use the item more. Should I divide by 1.66666667 for having three charges.

Slipperychicken
2014-03-19, 11:35 PM
I am trying to price out a magical item that allows one to replace a racial, spell-like ability with another ability of a similar level. What I am wondering is what would be an appropriate cost formula to scale upwards.

Sounds like it would be crazy strong (assuming the wearer can choose what to turn his racial SLA into), and gamebreaking for monsters if not PCs.