PDA

View Full Version : OA Samurai question

Gorr_the_Gastly
2014-03-19, 10:46 PM
Ok can someone explain the oa samurais ancestral weapon ability. Its the only class feature it has really. But it looks like it is no different then normal magic weapon enhancement costs at least for PF. Was it different in 3.0?

If you are converting it to PF how would you make it work?

RedMage125
2014-03-20, 12:33 PM
This way, you can enhance the swords passed to you from your ancestors, and you don't need a caster to do it for you.

But the cost is the same, yes.

The book Rokugan offered an alternative version of the class that could spend XP instead of gold.

BWR
2014-03-20, 12:54 PM
Yes, the point of the Ancestral Daisho was to allow you to commune with the spirit of the swords and your ancestors, not having someone else do it for you. I've also ruled that only the rightful owner of the blades being granted the bonuses (possibly some worthy soul might temporarily be allowed to gain them, if necessary) - the spirit of the sword and the ancestors who watch over it will not help an unworthy wielder.

Converting to PF: change Skill list to fit PF, add PF Fighter's Armor Training, Weapon Training and Bravery. Done.
Personally, I'd have the Ancestral Daisho ability function like the Ancestral Relic (http://dndtools.eu/feats/book-of-exalted-deeds--52/ancestral-relic--70/)feat, allowing you to pump more gold into it than the OA class allows, have it apply to any two single ancestral weapons, chosen at character creation (usually the daisho but an ancestral bow would be appropriate), and one suit of ancestral armor.
The d20 Rokugan supplement "Magic of Rokugan" has the Soul Forge feat which allows you to pick up additional weapons or armor that you can enhance in the same way as as Ancestral Daisho.

Gorr_the_Gastly
2014-03-20, 01:00 PM
The Ancestral Relic feat does actually make sense. That makes a lot of sense and would still fit the flavor.

I was curious because it seemed to be giving them a class feature that was not a class feature. Still kind of was, but it allowed them to enhance their weapons on their own.