PDA

View Full Version : Undead Scythe user

maniacalmojo
2014-03-19, 11:03 PM
Want to make an undead scythe using charecter. Having some divine spells would be neat but mostly i want to do cool stuff while hitting things with my scythe. Class ideas? I know clerics are alright at fighting but having some more power would be neat. No "Take six levels of wizard" Stuff.

rmnimoc
2014-03-19, 11:06 PM
Favored Soul sounds like something you'd like. It's a more martial spontaneous cleric.

gorilla-turtle
2014-03-19, 11:10 PM
Baring the Tome of Battle, the "coolest" stuff you can do will typically revolve around spells. And the Cleric, in addition to being one of the most powerful classes around, is also one of the best sources of undead possible. Try to consider a Rebuking Cleric, and maybe add to it the Bone Knight prestige class.

Magnera
2014-03-19, 11:12 PM
Crusader or Warblade sounds like a possibility for you. Look into Tome of Battle, it has some awesome maneuvers that you might like.

Hytheter
2014-03-19, 11:22 PM
Undead with scythe. Cos that's not a little cliche...

I'm going to also recommend the Tome of Battle Classes if you're allowed them.

If you're not an evil undead, Paladin into Bone Knight could be thematically interesting. That'll hit your Martial and Divine Spellcasting objectives, but may not be optimal.

(Un)Inspired
2014-03-19, 11:29 PM
Want to make an undead scythe using charecter. Having some divine spells would be neat but mostly i want to do cool stuff while hitting things with my scythe. Class ideas? I know clerics are alright at fighting but having some more power would be neat. No "Take six levels of wizard" Stuff.

Could you define what "'take six levels of wizard' stuff" is?

By that do you mean you want to simply avoid any wizard levels?

Any Arcane magic?

Specifically only taking 6 levels of wizard as opposed to say 20 levels because you know that wizards should lose caster levels?

You say that clerics are ok at fighting stuff but more power would be great. I would argue that clerics are one of the best classes at not only "fighting stuff" but also at the very tippy top of the power spectrum.

When you want more power than a cleric I can really only imagine something like... an artificer maybe?

Would you be interested in playing an undead scythe weilding artificer? That actually sounds pretty cool (it cuts down the undead with a scythe cliche by making him a techy dude). And should fill your power needs

Nettlekid
2014-03-19, 11:36 PM
I'm surprised no one's suggested Ordained Champion yet. Worship either Hextor or Heironeous (probably Hextor if you want to be evil, and I assume you do) and you get a slew of pretty cool combat abilities. You get to channel spells like a Duskblade does, and spontaneously cast from the War domain, which in turn gives you a nice array of options for defense (Blade Barrier and Magic Vestment) martial offense (Divine Power) and magical offense (Flame Strike). A more optimized suggestion would be to take only three levels of it so you don't lose a caster level at level 4, but since you want to go more melee I'd suggest taking all five, since later features do add to melee prowess.

If you start with Cleric, take five levels of Ordained Champion, and one more suitable Cleric PrC that loses either one or no caster levels, you still end up with 9th level divine spells and a wicked scythe to channel them through.

As for undead, Necropolitan takes care of that easily enough.

rmnimoc
2014-03-19, 11:36 PM
Could you define what "'take six levels of wizard' stuff" is?

By that do you mean you want to simply avoid any wizard levels?

Any Arcane magic?

Specifically only taking 6 levels of wizard as opposed to say 20 levels because you know that wizards should lose caster levels?

You say that clerics are ok at fighting stuff but more power would be great. I would argue that clerics are one of the best classes at not only "fighting stuff" but also at the very tippy top of the power spectrum.

When you want more power than a cleric I can really only imagine something like... an artificer maybe?

Would you be interested in playing an undead scythe weilding artificer? That actually sounds pretty cool (it cuts down the undead with a scythe cliche by making him a techy dude). And should fill your power needs

The rocket boots were just the latest sign that we probably shouldn't have convinced Death to read Iron Man.