PDA

View Full Version : Original System Realistic Ancient/Medieval Army Combat System

ShadowFireLance
2014-03-19, 11:27 PM
I've noticed a distinct lack of such things in the market, I'd like to ask that we, as the GiTP community, make it. (If anyone has recommendations, Feel free)

Things we need to simulate with this system:

1) Morale, and Fear, How hard it would be to break an army.
2) Training, and what impact it would have on the outcome
3) Technology.
4) Terrain.

I'm at a loss at the framework, but I'm sure the Community can help!

Aergoth
2014-03-19, 11:32 PM
At this point doesn't it make more sense to pick up a war game system like 40k or something similar and alter it to meet needs rather than homebrewing a new and complex system?

ShadowFireLance
2014-03-19, 11:34 PM
At this point doesn't it make more sense to pick up a war game system like 40k or something similar and alter it to meet needs rather than homebrewing a new and complex system?

The problem with those, is that they lack the realism I'm wanting, Otherwise I'd be using them wholesale.
I've been looking for something like this for a very, very long time.

Aergoth
2014-03-20, 12:05 AM
So you find actual wargame systems untweakable just to be clear. Like no degree of alterations or reworking over that existing set of rules will reach a point at which the system meets your needs?
I think the problem that you're going to run into is over-simulation. Namely that trying to reach a degree of realism winds up with a lot of situational rules that it makes more sense to ignore and work with broad strokes instead.
As much as I hate to sound like I'm trying to disuade, there's a reason simulation/abstraction trumps realism.

That said, offering some other approaches, you could also try to adapt PFs mass combat rules. (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCampaign/kingdomsAndWar/massCombat.html) While they probably aren't up to your standards of realism they try to avoid a rock-paper scisors approach to mass combat, spellcasting can largely be ignored.

The only place it would probably fall flat is the training. But to face facts as much as everyone likes hearing about 300 spartans, training and equipment lose in the face of sheer numbers.