PDA

View Full Version : Using Mirror of Opposition Offensively

AWiz_Abroad
2014-03-20, 01:53 AM
I'm DMing a Level 10-20 Campaign, and would like to have one of my intermediate baddies utilize a fun little object from the SRD, the Mirror of Opposition (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#mirrorofOpposition). I am aware of the potential uses in a defensive situation (party walks into a hall in the bad guy's castle, curtains fall from mirrors strategically placed, etc). That being said, can the Playground devise a way to utilize the mirror in a non room environment?

NoACWarrior
2014-03-20, 02:34 AM
Make your own walls - either wall of stone or wall of force.

OR look into the mirror yourself, have your souped up enchanter dominate your clone, and bam two of you.

OR make sure that the other party is using True Seeing, and have the wizard use obscuring mist, having them kite around until the opponent with true seeing can see the mirror.

Zsaber0
2014-03-20, 04:09 AM
Mirror of opposition tower shield.

Jeff the Green
2014-03-20, 04:26 AM
OR look into the mirror yourself, have your souped up enchanter dominate your clone, and bam two of you.

To build on this, hold whatever alignment-based weapons will give you negative levels and whatever cursed gear you can to reduce your Will saves before looking in the mirror.

Mnemnosyne
2014-03-20, 06:12 AM
The mirror of opposition text includes the word 'defeat' under the conditions that will cause the duplicate to disappear, so I don't think the dominate trick would work; if the duplicate has been dominated, then it is defeated, and disappears.

Seffbasilisk
2014-03-20, 10:32 AM
Have a traveling show, and a wagon with one affixed.

Cover it with a dismissable illusion.

Ring Gates.

ericgrau
2014-03-20, 10:59 AM
I like the ring gates idea. One foe would go around trying to get players to look at it. Players might close their eyes, but with the obvious drawbacks. They might avert their eyes. Then you might use gaze attack rules which means it's a 50:50 shot the foe gets the PC to look into the ring anyway, and the foe gains concealment (20% miss chance).

Assuming the clone steps out of the mirror, the mirror might be mounted somewhere nearby, like on a carriage. Players might then attempt to knock it over or conceal it