PDA

View Full Version : Abjurant Champion Question

Amiria
2007-02-03, 04:30 PM
So, apart from Shield (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shield.htm), which other spells (from any official WotC sources) qualify for the Abjurant Champion's (Complete Mage) 'Abjurant Armor' ability ?

Edit: Ok, I already found some:

1st: Ectoplasmic Armor (LM)
2nd: Deflect (PHBII)
2nd: Luminous Armor (BoED)
4th: Greater Luminous Armor (BoED)
5th: Nezram's Sapphire Screen of Shielding (LEoF)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-03, 04:44 PM
They obviously thought that Mage Armor was an Abjuration spell :smalleek:

(see the NPC on page 53)

tarbrush
2007-02-03, 04:45 PM
Yep, that's basically it. Here's hoping a new splatbook gives us one or two.

Amiria
2007-02-03, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I was so happy about this class feature when I recently bought Complete Mage ... but then the shock that it doesn't work with Mage Armor. I had some plans with Mass Mage Armor (SC) for instant party buffing ... :smallfrown:

But it is still a very good gish class.

After incorporating Complete Mage into my games, my current gish character is now a Fighter 2/Wizard 4/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 2.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-03, 05:00 PM
I think the intend is clear. It was supposed to work with Mage Armor (it is even mentioned in the description), so it would not make an unreasonable house rule.

However, it could not be used for party buffing, since it is a personal feature/ability.

Amiria
2007-02-03, 05:10 PM
Ok, so to what should it be expanded then ? Any [Force] effect spell that gives you an armor or shield bonus to AC ?

Thomas
2007-02-03, 05:11 PM
D&D supplement writers fail to know the rules of the game they're writing for, once again!

Edit: Well, more appallingly, fail to look up the rules.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-03, 05:27 PM
Ok, so to what should it be expanded then ? Any [Force] effect spell that gives you an armor or shield bonus to AC ?

It sounds about right :smallsmile:

D&D supplement writers fail to know the rules of the game they're writing for, once again!

Edit: Well, more appallingly, fail to look up the rules.

Skip Williams was actually involved....

Thomas
2007-02-03, 06:01 PM
Skip Williams was actually involved....

http://www.acc.umu.se/%7Ezqad/cats/1161382100-Limecat2.jpg
Limecat is neither surprised nor pleased.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-03, 06:16 PM
Maybe WotC should just Skip the Penny pinching and pay for some decent proof reading.

Sometimes Limecat deserves cream.

Matthew
2007-02-03, 07:03 PM
*laughs* "Skip the Penny pinching", now that's funny. Poor Penny.

PinkysBrain
2007-02-03, 07:20 PM
The intent is clear, it's their sanity which is in question. +5 extra AC from multiple spells which can stack with eachother ... uhuh.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-03, 07:26 PM
The intent is clear, it's their sanity which is in question. +5 extra AC from multiple spells which can stack with eachother ... uhuh.
...Mage Armor +5 AC still gets you less AC than a good set of magical armor. The +5 extra AC for Shield isn't bad, but really, that's just 2 AC over a +5 shield.

It's a very nice class feature, but it's hardly overpowering.

Arbitrarity
2007-02-03, 08:28 PM
Greater luminous armour +5, and shield with +5 gives 2 better AC than a +5 full plate, and a +5 tower shield, with no check penalty, and no arcane spell failure, no slot usage, and no weight.

On the other hand, it's for minutes/day, and the spell slots, and the str damage 0.o.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-03, 08:30 PM
Greater luminous armour +5, and shield with +5 gives 2 better AC than a +5 full plate, and a +5 tower shield, with no check penalty, and no arcane spell failure, no slot usage, and no weight.

On the other hand, it's for minutes/day, and the spell slots, and the str damage 0.o.

Yeah, exactly. You have to be Good, you take strength damage, and you have to cast Shield.

It's not bad, certainly. But it's hardly Zomg Teh Ubarz or broken.

Everyman
2007-02-03, 11:16 PM
When I read this class, I actually cried. The premise was so good, but then they went and ruined it by assuming they understood all the rules. This is not just a typo, but a serious mistake in writing. You can't mention an illegal spell over and over without indicating that you simply did not look up the spell.

That aside, I house rule that "any AC boosting, force spell" applies to that ability. However, I reserve the right to remove spells from that list, as more and more suppliments threaten to breakdown the game by adding a staggering amount of resources.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-02-04, 09:04 AM
That aside, I house rule that "any AC boosting, force spell" applies to that ability. However, I reserve the right to remove spells from that list, as more and more suppliments threaten to breakdown the game by adding a staggering amount of resources.
For that, I'd just use, "Any abjuration spell that grants shield or armor bonus and mage armor." It is the abjurant champion after all, not the force champion.

Amiria
2007-02-04, 09:10 AM
And what about Greater Mage Armor then ?

Really, what are all those other [Force] spells that give an armor or shield bonus to AC ?

Macrovore
2007-02-04, 10:04 AM
i made mage armor and greater mage armor abjuration anyway. makes sense.