PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Blood Money and Symbol of Mirroring

Barstro
2014-03-20, 08:15 AM
My DM has ruled the following;
Symbol of Mirroring (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/symbol-of-mirroring) can be written on a movable surface (flag, etc.)
Symbol of Mirroring can be attuned so that it only effects members of my party.

The Material Component of the spell can be met by using Blood Money (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blood-money), but raises some questions
Is the Material Component 100 gp of opal and/or diamond (thus Blood Money satisfies it) or is it roughly 50 gp each, and my PC would need to use at least some "real" Material?

Any thoughts on the cost and if this is appropriate use of the two spells? At the level we are now, just paying the 100 gp is easy.

I think this interpretation is correct, but still broken. I plan on leaving this as only a failsafe if TPK looks likely.

Psyren
2014-03-20, 08:20 AM
It sounds like a mixture to me.

As for appropriateness - while I do think blood money needs to be banned from every game, I actually do like the idea of scribing symbol spells using blood instead of gems.

Your bigger problem is that it takes 10 minutes to cast so it's not necessarily something you can "whip out" in an emergency without telling your DM you're casting it ahead of time.

Barstro
2014-03-20, 09:02 AM
In this instance, I think Symbol is the spell that should be banned, as Blood Money saves all of 100 gp. I can see Blood Money getting abused, though, and I will restrain myself.

I don't see the difficulty in casting, since the duration is permanent (should be days/level, but hey);
Some night, when my character is getting ready for bed and still has an open 2nd level slot (so far, that's every night), she rests up, learns Symbol of Mirroring, and spends the next hour (to attune the whole party) casting the spell.

Then she folds up the flag that she cast it on and lets everyone know the command word* to activate it. During some battle in the future, she pulls it out.

The DM already ruled that the spell can work this way. He's on notice that it would be cast at the first opportunity. (Wait until he learns that I use Magic Jar every time I'm on watch duty.)

*In order to work in a silent area, maybe she'll just have specific movement activate it; wave it up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right B, A, Start.

Psyren
2014-03-20, 09:12 AM
Well as long as your DM knows you're casting it you'll be fine.

The symbol itself is fine too. It's just "mirror image, mass" - in addition, it affects enemies too, so it's pretty much only usable as a means of escape.

Miss Disaster
2014-03-20, 10:12 AM
Well as long as your DM knows you're casting it you'll be fine.

The symbol itself is fine too. It's just "mirror image, mass" - in addition, it affects enemies too, so it's pretty much only usable as a means of escape.
Isn't it attunable so as to be customized to affect only your party members?

Keneth
2014-03-20, 10:27 AM
So it's a poor man's version of AoE displacement which can easily be ended by mundane means?

I'd be okay with that.

Barstro
2014-03-20, 10:28 AM

My DM ruled that it is attunable.

Psyren
2014-03-20, 10:28 AM

Technically, attuning it to your party means it WON'T affect them, because it's based on symbol of death. So if you do that (which can take a lot of additional time as well), you end up giving all the enemies mirror images and not your group.

Barstro
2014-03-20, 12:17 PM
Technically, attuning it to your party means it WON'T affect them, because it's based on symbol of death. So if you do that (which can take a lot of additional time as well), you end up giving all the enemies mirror images and not your group.

Which seems just... wrong. I don't disagree with that ruling. It just means that SoM isn't as powerful. But perhaps it was meant as just a way to get out of a fight.