PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Humor That Looks Familiar...

ScubaGoomba
2014-03-20, 09:42 AM
A Tumblr I'm following is doing a fun game that I think would get some good results here on the boards. Basically, the idea is to come up with silly familiars and what kinds of benefits they grant. The guy running the Tumblr is retweeting the ones he likes and will put together a Tumblr post with his favorites after all is said and done. Some highlights:

A mom familiar that does your laundry and reminds you to wear clean underwear but is SO EMBARRASSING, UGH
A flashlight that gives a bonus to spot checks. Yes it's really a familiar, no it's not just a flashlight.
A bat familiar that is also a were-human. And drinks blood. NOT a vampire
An old yellow mastador that gives bonuses to all checks, but you have to shoot it at the end of the session
A sponge familiar that gives you a bonus to Craft(Patties)

So let's come up with a bunch of these! And here's the original link (http://noobtheloser.tumblr.com/post/80138702439/twitter-game#notes), for reference.

Slipperychicken
2014-03-20, 05:15 PM
You might want to fix the thread name. There's been a lot of spam going around on giantitp lately (particularly the Roleplaying Games part), and I was seriously considering skipping over this thread because I thought it was going to be spam.

ScubaGoomba
2014-03-20, 07:02 PM
Ah, I didn't even think this would look like spam! If anything, I thought the hashtag would make it stand out. I'll fix it, though; thanks for the tip!

VicBorAng
2014-03-21, 12:35 AM
So, what would you name this thread then?

Suggestion for familiar:
A small, strangely shaped ship (https://www.google.com.br/search?q=Vic+Viper&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Ps8rU6DAHJK60AHwm4GwBA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=600#q=gradius%20ship&revid=53729021&tbm=isch&imgdii=_), that attacks the enemy

Segev
2014-03-21, 12:46 PM
A naked mole rat that actually performs all of your skill checks for you.

ElenionAncalima
2014-03-21, 01:04 PM
A literal trainwreck - Gives you a bonus to stealth checks, because people can't just not look at it.

A goblin philosopher - Constantly reminds you of the moral implications of killing even the most seemingly despicable creatures.

erikun
2014-03-21, 07:23 PM
An ooze familiar that does your shaving for you! Handy to keep around.

Another_Poet
2014-03-21, 09:24 PM
A rust monster familiar which, like all puppies, loves to jump on its master.

Vizzerdrix
2014-03-21, 11:11 PM
Something for the Improved Familiar list. Intelligent magical pants.

Slipperychicken
2014-03-21, 11:47 PM
An ooze familiar that does your shaving for you! Handy to keep around.

Just don't let it get on top of your head. Or in your lunchbox. Or in your pockets.

I would be so mad if a familiar ate my wallet.

supermonkeyjoe
2014-03-31, 10:08 AM
A miniature, mute, version of yourself?

You could call him, Mini-me, *raises pinkie to mouth*

RedMage125
2014-03-31, 10:22 AM
A miniature "Bigby's Hand" that communicates via gestures, a la "The Addams Family".

An animated broom that compulsively sweeps up after you (adding +2 to the DC of any atempt to follow your tracks). As an added bonus, when it communicates with you, it speaks sdrawkcab (bonus points for the old-school reference).

An animated Paper Clip that assists with all scribing efforts and finds errors in grammar and punctuation (+2 bonus to Forgery and Decipher Script)

A floating Rubik's Cube that communicates by shifting colors around and flashing.

An animated lamp (Aladdin style) that can speak and is convinced that it contains a genie (spoiler alert: it does not).

ScubaGoomba
2014-03-31, 11:53 AM
Oh man, I actually really like the Bigby's Hand idea as an actual familiar. Maybe it could give a +2 to Sleight of Hand or Deception checks?

Paper Clip is great, too; the only familiar more annoying than Navi.

The_Werebear
2014-03-31, 03:52 PM
A platypus. It would give a bonus on bluff checks, because after you describe your familiar and then PROVE it exists, people will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Doorhandle
2014-03-31, 05:29 PM
Falcon familiar. Gives you bonus damage on touch spells so long as they have a huge windup.

Lord Raziere
2014-04-01, 05:17 AM
A talking skull that gives you a bonus on arcane knowledge and potion making checks, also obsessed with women.

a floating fairy that gives you a bonus to all monster identification checks, but has an incredibly shrill and annoying voice.

a little blue-and-white golem red-eyed cyclops that gives a bonus to disable traps and lockpicking checks, only communicates in squeals though

a little golden golem that gives you a bonus to languages. kind've very focused on politeness and etiquette though.

a pink mushroom with feet that gives you a bonus to archeology checks.

a prismatic butterfly that gives you a bonus to knowledge (planes) checks.

a winged cat that gives you a bonus to cooking and fishing.

a little reindeer that gives you a bonus to heal checks

a little yellow mouse that gives your attacks and lightning/electricity damage bonus

DigoDragon
2014-04-01, 08:06 AM
An animated radio that gives +2 to Intimidation checks when it plays your theme music.

I actually had this one once:
A raccoon that gives +2 to Pick Pocket and Open Lock checks.

RedMage125
2014-04-01, 10:20 AM
A talking skull that gives you a bonus on arcane knowledge and potion making checks, also obsessed with women.

a floating fairy that gives you a bonus to all monster identification checks, but has an incredibly shrill and annoying voice.

a little blue-and-white golem red-eyed cyclops that gives a bonus to disable traps and lockpicking checks, only communicates in squeals though

a little golden golem that gives you a bonus to languages. kind've very focused on politeness and etiquette though.

a pink mushroom with feet that gives you a bonus to archeology checks.

a prismatic butterfly that gives you a bonus to knowledge (planes) checks.

a winged cat that gives you a bonus to cooking and fishing.

a little reindeer that gives you a bonus to heal checks

a little yellow mouse that gives your attacks and lightning/electricity damage bonus
Ok, I get the 1st 4 (Morty from PS:T, Navi from LoZ:OoT, R2-D2, and C-3PO), and the last one (pikachu), but I don't get the rest at all.

Lord Raziere
2014-04-01, 12:22 PM
Ok, I get the 1st 4 (Morty from PS:T, Navi from LoZ:OoT, R2-D2, and C-3PO), and the last one (pikachu), but I don't get the rest at all.

1. WRONG! Its Bob the Skull! From The Dresden Files! and I thought I made it so obvious. :smallbiggrin:

5-8: in order, Goombella from Paper Mario, the Thousand Year Door, Tippi from Super Paper Mario, Happy from Fairy Tail, and Chopper from One Piece.

RedMage125
2014-04-01, 02:44 PM
1. WRONG! Its Bob the Skull! From The Dresden Files! and I thought I made it so obvious. :smallbiggrin:

5-8: in order, Goombella from Paper Mario, the Thousand Year Door, Tippi from Super Paper Mario, Happy from Fairy Tail, and Chopper from One Piece.

Well, Bob the Skull and Morty from Planescape Torment are very similar then.

And...yeah, I had no chance of figuring the rest of those out.

However:
A variant Spark Guardian (from Complete Warrior), with body made mostly out of a plate helm. Not only fights, but will also provide assistance in slowing your fall if you fall into a pit.

An Iron Guardian homonculous with a spring board loaded into its back (master can make a vertical jump without a running start with a +10 bonus).

And a little mobile container that can provide potions or temporary weapon boosting items...but never whichever one you need at the moment.

YAY references!

GoblinGilmartin
2014-04-04, 03:50 AM
The best-most-useless familiar is the Celestial Toad. Being celestial takes away any damage to regular creatures it might have been able to do, and it can only deal 3 damage per round to evil creatures.

iceman10058
2014-04-11, 02:24 AM

a la dresden files?

edit: just saw you answered that. using it for my ancestors spirit for my wu jen now.

arcane_asp
2014-04-11, 04:57 AM
Hows this for an unusual familiar -

A pungent cheese wheel, capable of rolling independently and making muffled noises for communication. It was matured in a cask of magical wood and has gained rudimentary sentience. Its strong smell is a lure for rodents, a deterrent for everyone else.

Some well read folks may know where the inspiration for this creature came from... :smallwink:

Buddha's_Cookie
2014-04-12, 12:41 AM
A miniature cthulhu, slowly lowers the sanity scores of the party but forces sentient foes to make a will save or flee in fear.

A living chess piece that calls out nonsense tactical advice at any time, but never anything helpful, can be silenced as a full round action for five minutes or till the end of an encounter.

iceman10058
2014-04-12, 11:41 AM
i giant plant that follows you in a pot that demands you feed it humans and on occasion, sings

RedMage125
2014-04-12, 01:01 PM
i giant plant that follows you in a pot that demands you feed it humans and on occasion, sings

...Keeps calling me "Seymour" for some reason...

Alex12
2014-04-12, 02:25 PM
Hows this for an unusual familiar -

A pungent cheese wheel, capable of rolling independently and making muffled noises for communication. It was matured in a cask of magical wood and has gained rudimentary sentience. Its strong smell is a lure for rodents, a deterrent for everyone else.

Some well read folks may know where the inspiration for this creature came from... :smallwink:

I'm pretty sure that's from Discworld, specifically Horace from the Tiffany Aching books.

A swarm of bees. Grants +2 to Intimidate because anyone who walks around covered in bees is clearly not to be trifled with.

The Oni
2014-04-12, 02:44 PM
A miniature version of yourself. Requires that you be Evil, and also have a PhD.

For the Improved Familiar, a Tiny Booze Elemental. It hangs out in a whiskey flask when not called upon. When active it grants you +4 to Diplomacy checks and -2 to all Wisdom-based skills. Vulnerable to fire.

Slipperychicken
2014-04-12, 02:56 PM
For the Improved Familiar, a Tiny Booze Elemental. It hangs out in a whiskey flask when not called upon. When active it grants you +4 to Diplomacy checks and -2 to all Wisdom-based skills. Vulnerable to fire.

+2 on saves against fear, increases the DC to intimidate you by 2.

The Oni
2014-04-12, 02:59 PM
Naturally.

UristMcRandom
2014-04-13, 12:23 AM
A talking snowman that grants +2 on all Search checks and Sense Motive rolls.

Somensjev
2014-04-13, 12:49 AM
a small chest with legs, it gives you a +4 to intimidate, it can hold any number of items, and can find you anywhere. however it has a bad habit of getting lost :smallwink:

Te'Shen
2014-04-13, 10:18 AM
A living spell of cure light wounds. Make it sunshine yellow, glow faintly, and have a little happy face and a +3 to heal checks. It should make little squeeky, happy noises.

An affectionate, amphibious octopus who offers free hugs. It probably grants a +3 to intimidate, though.

A small/tiny warforged with low wisdom, high charisma, and a small dimensional storage space for random stuff? It probably has some minor curse effect on his owner...

Themrys
2014-04-13, 11:42 AM
The best-most-useless familiar is the Celestial Toad. Being celestial takes away any damage to regular creatures it might have been able to do, and it can only deal 3 damage per round to evil creatures.

You have more or less described the familiar of my witch. Okay, it is not celestial, it's a regular toad. That can, in theory, deal damage to regular creatures, but since it's a very tiny animal, my witch keeps it out of combat.
However, having such a cute little pet makes the character happy. That's not to be underestimated.

A plant. A phaleonopsis orchid that grows in your hair and absorbs all the fat and dirt, so that you never have to wash your hair. The leaves protect your head and eyes from rain. Grants you +1 charisma per blossom.

Slipperychicken
2014-04-13, 11:48 AM
A plant. A phaleonopsis orchid that grows in your hair and absorbs all the fat and dirt, so that you never have to wash your hair. The leaves protect your head and eyes from rain. Grants you +1 charisma per blossom.

Also +3 to your Mary Sue levels.

The_Tentacle
2014-04-13, 01:43 PM
A short, fat, white thing that gives bonuses to cooking and survival. You can also eat it.

A cool-looking Indiana Jones-esque hat that gives bonuses to survival and stuff.

A tiny lizard that gives you a small discount on buying stuff.

Amaril
2014-04-14, 10:33 AM
An affectionate, amphibious octopus who offers free hugs. It probably grants a +3 to intimidate, though.

I kinda want an octopus familiar now. I think it would also give an Escape Artist bonus, since they're infamous for breaking out of their aquariums. Probably have a higher Int score than most familiars, too.

DigoDragon
2014-04-16, 08:27 AM
An intelligent light bulb that grants darkvision and +2 to remember things.

nedz
2014-04-16, 04:59 PM
I gave someone a Flumph familiar once, long time ago.