PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Fighter/Anti-Paladin build

ElBeardo
2014-03-20, 02:12 PM
So this is my first time playing pathfinder and my first evil campaign. I am playing a Lvl1 LE nagajitt fighter, whose backstory involves a vision from an unknown entity. Campaign circumstances have lead me to sign a contract with Asmodeus, which has made me think about multiclassing Anti-paladin. It makes sense for fluff reasons, but how do I make it work mechanically. How many levels should I take of each.
Here are my stats

Str:19
Dex:15
Con:16
Int:12
Wis:14
Cha:15
Feats: Toughness, Power Attack
Using a greatsword, sling

Why am I playing a Nagajitt? Because my friend is playing a Ratfolk wizard. It's like a psychotic version of the Odd Couple.:smallbiggrin:

genericwit
2014-03-20, 05:11 PM
Get out of Fighter around 2nd, 4th, or 5th. 2nd nets you another feat, 4th nets another feat and armor training, and 5th nets you weapon training.

I'd almost recommend going full Fighter, as your smite and fiendish boon are gonna suffer from multiclassing. If it's a long campaign, you'll still be able to smite every fight by level 14 or 15 if you stay with the fighter longer. And some of the antipaladin spells can be a real asset, especially if you have access to 3.5 material (i'm looking at you rhino's rush and resurgence).

Keneth
2014-03-20, 06:00 PM
The problem with Antipaladin is mainly the inability to smite anything but good-aligned creatures.

Unless you'll be fighting predominantly unicorns and celestials, it's gonna be a rather mediocre choice of class.

Assuming your GM already waived the alignment requirement of the class (since you'd have to be CE otherwise), ask him if he'd let you ignore the "good" part of "smite good". It makes the class so much more playable.

I agree with genericwit though, 3-4 levels of fighter max, if you ever hope to be a half decent antipaladin at least.

ElBeardo
2014-03-20, 09:05 PM
Thanks Guys!

The main reason that I wanted to go Anti-Paladin is that my party is in desperate need of some heals. For some reason, we have been rolling extremely cruddy, (the ranger in my campaign rolled three crit fails in a row:smallfrown:. My DM said I could use my LOH variant to heal people who followed my god, so that sounds like the best option. If you think there would be a better option for heals, I'm all ears.

FabulousFizban
2014-03-20, 09:32 PM
anti-paladins channel negative energy, so unless your party is undead you won't be doing much healing.

That is the primary problem with anti-paladin for me, they lose one of the paladin's greatest features - self-healing.

In my game I rectified the problem by making my BBEG an anti-paladin graveknight, which is a truly terrifying thing to face off against when he has a few minions.

look into cleric instead.

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-20, 09:35 PM
What's that spell that everyone uses wands of, rather than lesser vigor?

Ah!

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/infernal-healing

Get a wand of that, it's like 750 gp. That should solve your healing issues.

FabulousFizban
2014-03-20, 09:36 PM
if your GM is letting you heal people with the anti-LoH and healing is your primary concern, take a look at the orodin: at least two levels of paladin and at least one level of life oracle. The idea is to life-link your party, then use lay on hands on yourself to basically remove the damage every round for free. The Fey-foundling feat is a necessity for this build.

This lets you heal the party every round and still have a full round of actions.

the above mentioned infernal healing blends beautifully with the orodin btw.

Gavinfoxx
2014-03-20, 09:38 PM
I like my out of combat healing solution better. ;)

docnessuno
2014-03-21, 12:13 PM
What's that spell that everyone uses wands of, rather than lesser vigor?

Ah!

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/infernal-healing

Get a wand of that, it's like 750 gp. That should solve your healing issues.

Except that a wand of infernal healing cost 2.000 gp (costly material component)

Keneth
2014-03-21, 12:32 PM
Drops of devil blood are not costly. You're under no obligation to use holy water in order to cast the spell or craft a spell trigger/completion item with infernal healing.

Yanisa
2014-03-21, 12:45 PM
Drops of devil blood are not costly. You're under no obligation to use holy water in order to cast the spell or craft a spell trigger/completion item with infernal healing.

Besides, a dose of unholy water is not a flask of unholy water. Also the unholy water has no price listed, so should be treated the same as devil's blood. (To contrast: Unholy Ice (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/u/unholy-ice) does list a price and the term flask).

750 GP also seems PFS legal in my region, for whatever that is worth.

Ravens_cry
2014-03-21, 12:57 PM
Eh, Infernal healing really works if your DM is OK with the monsters waiting patiently for the players to be done healing up. 1 minute to heal 10 hit points means a *lot* of waiting. Players pull that kind of thing too often, and a DM should take advantage of the extra prep time in-universe.

Yanisa
2014-03-21, 01:02 PM
Eh, Infernal healing really works if your DM is OK with the monsters waiting patiently for the players to be done healing up. 1 minute to heal 10 hit points means a *lot* of waiting. Players pull that kind of thing too often, and a DM should take advantage of the extra prep time in-universe.

Our OP is a level 1 fighter it seems, so it isn't a problem now. Looting will take more then a minute and by then they regained most if not all of their health.

Besides that, healing and anti-paladin don't go hand in hand, they get like zero healing spells, not even infernal healing!
The Lay on Hands as healing is nice for your low levels, but for later levels is not going to fill that gap and you won't have access to the wands. If you want healing, anti-paladin is not the best route.
Then again when there is no healing every drop does help, but you might want to keep your eyes for a long term solution.