PDA

View Full Version : Analysis Where does Malacks temper come from?

rbetieh
2014-03-20, 04:46 PM
Malack shows in 3 occasions (Nale, Tarquin, Durkon) that he has a temper... is it possible that this is bleeding in from the original souls personality (he was a barbarian shaman, maybe not a Barbarian-class but he could have multi-classed...)?

What do you guys think? Residual rage or just temperamental vampire?

Keltest
2014-03-20, 04:49 PM
For the most part it seems to be entirely reasonable reactions to the situation at hand. Nale killed his "children", Tarquin was making him do something he decidedly did not want to do, and was being somewhat of a hypocrite about it, and Durkon was attempting to kill him.

Haleth
2014-03-20, 04:54 PM
It just seems a bit like a burst of temper to me. Although it's worth noting that Durkula had a similar freak-out moment when his staff was taken away.

Keltest
2014-03-20, 04:55 PM
It just seems a bit like a burst of temper to me. Although it's worth noting that Durkula had a similar freak-out moment when his staff was taken away.

Id imagine the whole "not wanting to burn to death" thing had something to do with that.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-03-20, 05:03 PM
All of the times that Malak has shown a temper he seems to have had a good reason for being that way. It's just the way he reacts to those situations.

rbetieh
2014-03-20, 05:05 PM
For the most part it seems to be entirely reasonable reactions to the situation at hand. Nale killed his "children", Tarquin was making him do something he decidedly did not want to do, and was being somewhat of a hypocrite about it, and Durkon was attempting to kill him.

The first two maybe....Durkon had up to that point cast one spell "Mass Death Ward" which is not an attempt to kill anyone. He tells Malack that there are no two ways about it, if Malack is a threat to his team that it is his duty to stop malack. And malack goes into "DIE!!!!" mode...

Note, I am not saying he is using Barbarian Rage...but that some residual original personality causes him to overreact in a negative way...

Keltest
2014-03-20, 05:08 PM
The first two maybe....Durkon had up to that point cast one spell "Mass Death Ward" which is not an attempt to kill anyone. He tells Malack that there are no two ways about it, if Malack is a threat to his team that it is his duty to stop malack. And malack goes into "DIE!!!!" mode...

Note, I am not saying he is using Barbarian Rage...but that some residual original personality causes him to overreact in a negative way...

Durkon had literally just given him a "You are an evil fiend and I must kill you unconditionally." speech. He struck first.

Chessecakeman
2014-03-20, 05:22 PM
Pretty sure he loses his temper against Durkon because:

1) :smallfrown: His new friend is essentially turning on him for not accepting him for who he is.
2) :smallannoyed: Durkon refutes every compromise Malack attempts to offer (you can see him starting to get frustrated here)
3) :smallmad: Instead of going their own seperate ways, Durkon insists that there has to be a fight.
4) :smallfurious: Now that there is a fight, he's going to do it with full intensity.

I don't really see any temper problems with Malack aside from situations in which it is totally understandable for a non-evil person to lose their temper.

Nilehus
2014-03-20, 05:25 PM
It never gets old seeing people say that Durkon started that fight.

If the best "compromise" he had was either Durkon letting his team die, or pulling the team out altogether and leaving them in charge of the Rift... Durkon never had a choice.

Chessecakeman
2014-03-20, 05:30 PM
From Malack's point of view, Durkon left him no other choice than to fight.

Durkon states there was one option Malack could have suggested, but didn't, which would be for the Linear Guild to withdraw from the pyramid. He implied this would have been the only way that there wouldn't be a fight. To Malack this is not an option, just as to Durkon it wouldn't be an option for the OotS to leave the pyramid.

Keltest
2014-03-20, 05:34 PM

If the best "compromise" he had was either Durkon letting his team die, or pulling the team out altogether and leaving them in charge of the Rift... Durkon never had a choice.

He was backed into a moral corner, but that doesn't mean that the option to back out was literally unavailable.

Nilehus
2014-03-20, 05:37 PM
When the fate of the world is quite literally at stake every time someone messes with one of the Gates?

Sure, he could have, but it's like... No, it is literally giving a serial killer a superweapon he could use to destroy/reshape the world.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-03-20, 05:38 PM
Pretty sure he loses his temper against Durkon because:

1) :smallfrown: His new friend is essentially turning on him for not accepting him for who he is.

The only thing I disagree with is this. Durkon saw Malack attempting to kill Belkar. Not only did this go against Durkon's previous belief that Malack wasn't with the Linear Guild, but it also showed that Malack drained blood from anyone.

Keltest
2014-03-20, 05:45 PM
When the fate of the world is quite literally at stake every time someone messes with one of the Gates?

Sure, he could have, but it's like... No, it is literally giving a serial killer a superweapon he could use to destroy/reshape the world.

given that

A: they did not know what the Linear Guild (or Xykon, for that matter) actually intended to do with the gate and

B: the ended up destroying it anyway

that kind of throws that idea out the window. Heck, Tarquin has even blatantly come out and said "I don't want to fight any other villain for the gate" anyway, which would happen if he got control of the gate.

Nilehus
2014-03-20, 05:51 PM
We know that. Durkon did not.

Destroying the Gate is better than letting it fall in the hands of someone that would abuse it. The Rift? Uncontrollable and useless, unless you spend the decades learning the necessary Epic spells to build a new Gate. The Gate? Couple spells, a few weeks, and you've got your own God-killing abomination.

Again, as far as most everyone except Redcloak knows.

Keltest
2014-03-20, 06:01 PM
We know that. Durkon did not.

Destroying the Gate is better than letting it fall in the hands of someone that would abuse it. The Rift? Uncontrollable and useless, unless you spend the decades learning the necessary Epic spells to build a new Gate. The Gate? Couple spells, a few weeks, and you've got your own God-killing abomination.

Again, as far as most everyone except Redcloak knows.

youre forgetting that destroying the gate weakens the fabric of the universe and brings us one step closer to "the gods pull out the magic erase all button and restart the universe again." which Durkon was aware of.

Nilehus
2014-03-20, 06:07 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0896.html

Ideal situation? Beat back whoever is threatening the gate, and protect it. Stopgap solution? Smash the Gate, and hope the next one can be defended. Worst, most terrible, completely idiotic idea? Leave, and let someone like Nale, Tarquin, or Malack have unrestricted access to the Gate when you aren't sure what their intentions are.

Keltest
2014-03-20, 06:11 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0896.html

Ideal situation? Beat back whoever is threatening the gate, and protect it. Stopgap solution? Smash the Gate, and hope the next one can be defended. Worst, most terrible, completely idiotic idea? Leave, and let someone like Nale, Tarquin, or Malack have unrestricted access to the Gate.

We seem to be getting on a tangent here. Youre missing the point; Durkon initiated combat. It was for a good reason, but he could have just sat back and watched the Order and Guild go at it while eating Popcorn with Malack had he wanted to.

Nilehus
2014-03-20, 06:17 PM
If it didn't go against that everything Durkon stood for, sure. He does what is right, not what's easiest/best for himself. I'd be pretty disappointed with Durkon if he chose a friend of a few days over his team.

Durkon cast Mass Death Ward. He didn't cast Heal on Malack. He didn't hit him with his hammer. Malack was the first one that went for blood.

Keltest
2014-03-20, 06:25 PM
If it didn't go against that everything Durkon stood for, sure. He does what is right, not what's easiest/best for himself. I'd be pretty disappointed with Durkon if he chose a friend of a few days over his team.

Durkon cast Mass Death Ward. He didn't cast Heal on Malack. He didn't hit him with his hammer. Malack was the first one that went for blood.

Still missing the point. It doesn't matter if there was an obvious moral choice. there was a literal option, no matter how unappealing, that resulted in them not conflicting. Durkon chose not to take any of those options and announced his intention to fight. Malack, not being an idiot, said "OK" and took initiative.

Nilehus
2014-03-20, 06:34 PM
We'll just have to disagree. A choice between standing by and letting an evil monster (Nale) take control of something like the Gate, with the possibility of having all your friends murdered, and trying to stop it doesn't even count as a choice to me.

Forum Explorer
2014-03-20, 06:59 PM
We'll just have to disagree. A choice between standing by and letting an evil monster (Nale) take control of something like the Gate, with the possibility of having all your friends murdered, and trying to stop it doesn't even count as a choice to me.

Well Durkon had many more options then the ones they stated. Like telling him that the gate was binding a god killing abomination and thus it would go against Malack's and Nergal's direct interest for anyone to have control over the gates.

Chessecakeman
2014-03-20, 07:01 PM
Neither one of them "started" the fight.

Given both of their positions, they were going to fight no matter what as soon as Durkon entered the room and discovered Malack for what he was and that he was allied with the LG.

Both of their convictions and motivations were at odds at this point. Neither one of them in their own minds had the option to "back down". A fight was the logical conclusion of this confrontation.

Chessecakeman
2014-03-20, 07:04 PM
The only thing I disagree with is this. Durkon saw Malack attempting to kill Belkar. Not only did this go against Durkon's previous belief that Malack wasn't with the Linear Guild, but it also showed that Malack drained blood from anyone.

I'm stating this from Malack's point of view. Malack wants Durkon to just accept him for who he is and accept that he sometimes has to drink blood in order to survive. Durkon is obviously and rightfully unable to accept Malack for what he is now. However this still is a blow to Malack who really respected Durkon and wanted to continue being friends with him.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-03-20, 07:10 PM
I'm stating this from Malack's point of view. Malack wants Durkon to just accept him for who he is and accept that he sometimes has to drink blood in order to survive. Durkon is obviously and rightfully unable to accept Malack for what he is now. However this still is a blow to Malack who really respected Durkon and wanted to continue being friends with him.
I doubt that. I don't see why Malack's respect would lower for Durkon because Durkon can't accept that he drinks the blood of innocents, and has sided with Durkon's enemies. I can totally understand Durkon being angry here, but not Malack. Now, if Malack had revealed that he was a Vampire to Durkon while they were in Malack's study, and Durkon had immediately wanted to kill Malack, then I would agree.

However, as I said, I agreed that it would be frustrating from Malack's perspective that Durkon refuses to attempt peace.

Kish
2014-03-20, 07:13 PM
Durkon did start the fight. He discovered that his "friend" was actually a horrible monster and wasn't willing to overlook it (and his loyalties to his actual friends and teammates) for the sake of the friendship, where Malack would totally have been willing to overlook Durkon's being a lawful good priest and Malack's loyalty to Tarquin. It only gets weird when people tack on "and this shows how intolerant Durkon is" or "so karma will punish Durkon for it."

Nilehus
2014-03-20, 07:16 PM
Well Durkon had many more options then the ones they stated. Like telling him that the gate was binding a god killing abomination and thus it would go against Malack's and Nergal's direct interest for anyone to have control over the gates.

Malack knew already, and it wasn't stopping him. Not that it's the kind of knowledge Durkon should be giving away freely. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0820.html)

Vinyadan
2014-03-20, 07:17 PM
First of all, I think the temper moments were well chosen and do not need a special explanation.

At the same time, I like how they make Malak look snakelike in my mind. Or like certain lizards, when they are angry they start hissing and spitting and you understand that they are angry, in spite of the typical reptilian lack of understandable facial mimic.

Chessecakeman
2014-03-20, 07:22 PM
I doubt that. I don't see why Malack's respect would lower for Durkon because Durkon can't accept that he drinks the blood of innocents, and has sided with Durkon's enemies. I can totally understand Durkon being angry here, but not Malack. Now, if Malack had revealed that he was a Vampire to Durkon while they were in Malack's study, and Durkon had immediately wanted to kill Malack, then I would agree.

However, as I said, I agreed that it would be frustrating from Malack's perspective that Durkon refuses to attempt peace.

It's sharing something personal with a friend and having them reject that. That's going to make you at least sad and/or upset in general. I'm not saying Malack was mad at that point, more sad or disappointed than anything. He then becomes frustrated as Durkon refuses to compromise.

It would be like confiding in a new friend that I was gay, and that new friend just can't accept that and won't be my friend anymore.

(No I am not equating gay to being evil, I am just illustrating something that is personal being rejected by someone who you had a positive relationship with up until that point)

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-03-20, 07:28 PM
where Malack would totally have been willing to overlook Durkon's being a lawful good priest and Malack's loyalty to Tarquin.

I think that this is an interesting point you bring up. Why would Malack have wanted to befriend someone of a rather different alignment than him, on opposite sides, and keeping trying to ask that they remain friends? And it's not like he was faking it either, since he honored Durkon's dying request and seemed to genuinely want vampire Durkon to be almost the same as living Durkon. Although, he was rather quick and determined to attack Durkon once he saw there was no other way.

Codex
2014-03-20, 07:31 PM
It's sharing something personal with a friend and having them reject that. That's going to make you at least sad and/or upset in general. I'm not saying Malack was mad at that point, more sad or disappointed than anything. He then becomes frustrated as Durkon refuses to compromise.

It would be like confiding in a new friend that I was gay, and that new friend just can't accept that and won't be my friend anymore.

(No I am not equating gay to being evil, I am just illustrating something that is personal being rejected by someone who you had a positive relationship with up until that point)

I never thought of it that way.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-03-20, 07:32 PM

Ok, I think I've been looking at this from the wrong angle, and I apologize for that. After rereading the strips with Malack' s reveal, I see that Malak genuinely believed the fact that he drinks the blood of innocents to be no big deal, whereas Durkon couldn't accept that. I wasn't considering Malack's viewpoint fully.

Nilehus
2014-03-20, 07:33 PM
I think they did genuinely enjoy each other's friendship. However, when push came to shove, they both fought for their team over that friendship.

One of the biggest things I like about this comic is the Alignment=\=Personality thing. Malack and Tarquin especially. Lawful Evil, very nice, charming people... But when it's time for business, get out of their way. Or for Tarquin, just stay out of the way all the time.

And don't look at the way, or be anywhere near it.

Forum Explorer
2014-03-20, 09:18 PM
Malack knew already, and it wasn't stopping him. Not that it's the kind of knowledge Durkon should be giving away freely. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0820.html)

Ah that's right. Which makes me wonder why Malack was willing to work to take over the gate. (I still think that pretty much any cleric of any god (except the Dark One obviously) would be opposed to taking over a gate.) Perhaps he was aware of Tarquin's intentions?

Gift Jeraff
2014-03-20, 09:23 PM
It came from his fear.

Vladier
2014-03-20, 11:17 PM
Ah that's right. Which makes me wonder why Malack was willing to work to take over the gate. (I still think that pretty much any cleric of any god (except the Dark One obviously) would be opposed to taking over a gate.) Perhaps he was aware of Tarquin's intentions?

Well, the original defences of the Gate were compromised and Malack knew it. Maybe he thought that he could persuade Tarquin to not destroy the Gate and give him control over it, thus ensuring that the Gate is safe from whoever might want to take it over. Even Xykon and Redcloak would probably be stopped by combined might of the Vector Legion or even just Tarquin and Malack together.

Gift Jeraff
2014-03-20, 11:34 PM
Even Xykon and Redcloak would probably be stopped by [...] just Tarquin and Malack together.

This is what Tarquin/Malack fans actually believe

Psyren
2014-03-21, 12:10 AM
He has his buttons like anyone else. Being a vampire doesn't make you an automaton.

(Well, I mean, it does, but only until your sire frees you or is destroyed.)

rbetieh
2014-03-21, 12:20 AM
First of all, I think the temper moments were well chosen and do not need a special explanation.

At the same time, I like how they make Malak look snakelike in my mind. Or like certain lizards, when they are angry they start hissing and spitting and you understand that they are angry, in spite of the typical reptilian lack of understandable facial mimic.

Hmmm so then Malack is a Lizard Vampire and not just a Vampire? I ask because the last comic implies that the High Priest of Hel is a Vampire inhabiting a Dwarfs body, the Vampire just happens to be a spirit from Hels domain because she gets dibs.

Vladier
2014-03-21, 12:42 AM
This is what Tarquin/Malack fans actually believe

Well, I believe that they can if Malack gets to sire Redcloak. With Redcloak support Xykon can pretty easily steamroll them both as Redcloak is of higher level than Malack. Though I guess that depends on if Tarquin's Dagger of Plot Damage can overcome Xykon's Damage Reduction or if he has a magical bludgeoning weapon on his mount. In the latter case Xykon might need some Harms.

rbetieh
2014-03-21, 12:46 AM
He has his buttons like anyone else. Being a vampire doesn't make you an automaton.

(Well, I mean, it does, but only until your sire frees you or is destroyed.)

But the reactions are Belkarian and his wisdom is much higher. He doesnt just get mad, he gets in your face mad....

dps
2014-03-21, 01:01 AM
youre forgetting that destroying the gate weakens the fabric of the universe and brings us one step closer to "the gods pull out the magic erase all button and restart the universe again." which Durkon was aware of.

Ironically, though, both Tarquin and Roy came to the conclusion that destroying the gate was probably the best option. If Malack and Durkon had known that, they wouldn't have had to fight.

Ceaon
2014-03-21, 03:11 AM

Of course, a better comparison would be "A friend finds out I have just tried to kill someone and probably did succesfully kill a whole lot of people in addition to that, and I am also an ally of a known criminal. My friend can't accept that and won't be my friend anymore."

Since, you know, it's Malack's ACTIONS Durkon can't agree with, not his state of being.

But the reactions are Belkarian and his wisdom is much higher. He doesnt just get mad, he gets in your face mad....

Wisdom isn't indicative of how you get mad or how mad you get. Roy has enough wisdom to be a cleric and he can get quite "in your face" mad as well.

Chessecakeman
2014-03-21, 09:25 AM
Of course, a better comparison would be "A friend finds out I have just tried to kill someone and probably did succesfully kill a whole lot of people in addition to that, and I am also an ally of a known criminal. My friend can't accept that and won't be my friend anymore."

Since, you know, it's Malack's ACTIONS Durkon can't agree with, not his state of being.

Wisdom isn't indicative of how you get mad or how mad you get. Roy has enough wisdom to be a cleric and he can get quite "in your face" mad as well.

It's his state of being, and the actions that must take place because of his state of being. A murderer can stop murdering, a vampire can't stop drinking the blood of the innocent.

Malack: "... But nothing has really changed since our engaging discussions. I am still the same man who offered you guidance and friendship."

Durkon: "Are ye mad?? Ev'rythin's changed! Yer an undead monster tha drinks tha blood o' tha innocent!"

Durkon: "Yer a frickin' vampire, Mlaack! Yer a danger ta everyone livin' on this continent!"

Gift Jeraff
2014-03-21, 09:33 AM
Ironically, though, both Tarquin and Roy came to the conclusion that destroying the gate was probably the best option. If Malack and Durkon had known that, they wouldn't have had to fight.

Roy only came to that conclusion because he felt cornered due to Durkon's death.

Ceaon
2014-03-21, 10:14 AM
It's his state of being (...)

According to the Giant (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14785214#post14785214), he is "not JUST reacting" to the vampirism, which means you're at least partly correct.

MagicalMeat
2014-03-21, 11:23 AM
As for who started the fight, it's actually kinda hard to say. Malack and Belkar deside to mutually fight, Malack wins, Durkon interferes, Durkon says he wants to fight, Malack attacks first.

The best analogy I can think of is Germany and Poland fight. Russia moves to intercept the German army before they conquer Poland. Germany tries diplomacy, but Russia declares war. Germany attacks first.

It's kinda hard to pinpoint exactly who started the fight.

Chessecakeman
2014-03-21, 11:32 AM
According to the Giant (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14785214#post14785214), he is "not JUST reacting" to the vampirism, which means you're at least partly correct.

I'm not saying Durkon is a racist (vampirist?)... which is what word of the giant was referring to. I'm saying that from Malack's perspective he lost a friend because that friend can't deal with him being a vampire. Which in my original post was the first step towards his "temper" when he finally attacked Durkon. The 2nd being his unwillingness to compromise, and the 3rd Durkon's assertion that because they can't compromise there can only be conflict between them.

BenjCano
2014-03-21, 11:38 AM
Malack shows in 3 occasions (Nale, Tarquin, Durkon) that he has a temper... is it possible that this is bleeding in from the original souls personality (he was a barbarian shaman, maybe not a Barbarian-class but he could have multi-classed...)?

What do you guys think? Residual rage or just temperamental vampire?

What's the underlying assumption here? That vampires are unemotional, like Vulcans, and that a display of a strong emotion is the original soul or something?

Peelee
2014-03-21, 12:24 PM

When the Enterprise finishes its warp and it's right on top of a Romulan warship, the shields go up fast. Theyre not firing the phasers, but its not a purely passive move; they're preparing for the shooting to start.

Mass Death Ward wasnt an "I trust we'll solve this amicably" spell, is what I'm saying here.

Jasdoif
2014-03-21, 12:32 PM
Mass Death Ward wasnt an "I trust we'll solve this amicably" spell, is what I'm saying here.I don't think Malack feeding on Belkar was much of a "solve this amicably" move either, which is probably why Durkon cast mass death ward in the first place.

Chessecakeman
2014-03-21, 02:05 PM
I don't think Malack feeding on Belkar was much of a "solve this amicably" move either, which is probably why Durkon cast mass death ward in the first place.

I said this earlier and I'm going to say it again.

Given both of their positions, they were going to fight no matter what as soon as Durkon entered the room and discovered Malack for what he was and that he was allied with the LG.

Both of their convictions and motivations were at odds at this point. Neither one of them in their own minds had the option to "back down". A fight was the logical conclusion of this confrontation.

Their friendship up to that point was the only reason they didn't immediately start swinging at each other.

Jasdoif
2014-03-21, 03:00 PM
I said this earlier and I'm going to say it again.

Their friendship up to that point was the only reason they didn't immediately start swinging at each other.Malack had agreed to go after the OOTS, Malack had attacked the OOTS (twice (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0853.html), even (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0870.html)), and Malack was fully capable of departing without attacking and hoping to avoid an actual conflict between their groups (and in fact prevented one later (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0895.html)).

If you want to fault Durkon for not being more diplomatic, fine. But to claim neither of them started the fight....Well, I don't see "immune to culpability" in the vampire template.

Peelee
2014-03-21, 04:04 PM
I don't think Malack feeding on Belkar was much of a "solve this amicably" move either, which is probably why Durkon cast mass death ward in the first place.

Malack feeding in Belkar was a large part of the problem that needed solving to start with. But I take your point. To refine mine, I was just saying that, as Durkon and Malack both agreed that there could only be conflict between them, saying who cast what first doesn't really matter. In the same sense that if the Federation and Klingons said, "welp, guess we're at war, then," it doesn't matter who raised shields vs who shot first immediately aterwards; both parties had already agreed to the conflict.

Kish
2014-03-21, 05:34 PM
Neither one of them in their own minds had the option to "back down".
Malack was perfectly willing (assuming he was telling the truth, which he probably was) to leave Tarquin to fight the Order of the Stick minus Durkon without him. I don't really think "Malack didn't consider himself to have the option of backing down" is supportable. He offered what he thought of as reasonable compromises; Durkon rejected them; Malack did not ultimately value his friendship with Durkon enough to offer something for nothing; and here we are. But there's no indication that it was a sense of duty that prevented Malack from saying, "You evidently care more about this than I do, so I'll be leaving now. When I learn of the outcome of your clash with Tarquin, I will mourn that I have lost a friend, whichever way it goes."

rbetieh
2014-03-21, 05:51 PM
Malack was perfectly willing (assuming he was telling the truth, which he probably was) to leave Tarquin to fight the Order of the Stick minus Durkon without him. I don't really think "Malack didn't consider himself to have the option of backing down" is supportable. He offered what he thought of as reasonable compromises; Durkon rejected them; Malack did not ultimately value his friendship with Durkon enough to offer something for nothing; and here we are. But there's no indication that it was a sense of duty that prevented Malack from saying, "You evidently care more about this than I do, so I'll be leaving now. When I learn of the outcome of your clash with Tarquin, I will mourn that I have lost a friend, whichever way it goes."

Another "Honorable but Evil" thing to do would have been to say "Fine, be we are both caught off guard here, so lets both just go back to our teams to prepare and next encounter it is on." Immediate, "So we aren't friends any more? DIE!!!!" is temperamental and a little over the top.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-03-21, 05:57 PM
Another "Honorable but Evil" thing to do would have been to say "Fine, be we are both caught off guard here, so lets both just go back to our teams to prepare and next encounter it is on." Immediate, "So we aren't friends any more? DIE!!!!" is temperamental and a little over the top.

More than just "so we aren't friends anymore". It was really more like "So, you will only accept a fight as the outcome of this meeting? Very well, so be it." Malack had offered a compromise to Durkon several times and he refused them all.

I will admit, the speed of Malack's willingness to begin the fight surprised me too, but I don't think he would want to give Durkon any advantages in the fight, such as being able to attack first. I suppose Malack could have fled, but Durkon would probably try to follow him.

Bulldog Psion
2014-03-31, 12:24 PM
Still missing the point. It doesn't matter if there was an obvious moral choice. there was a literal option, no matter how unappealing, that resulted in them not conflicting. Durkon chose not to take any of those options and announced his intention to fight. Malack, not being an idiot, said "OK" and took initiative.

What this stance overlooks is that Malack had a ton of options other than attacking, too. Including simply retreating.

rbetieh
2014-03-31, 01:17 PM
What this stance overlooks is that Malack had a ton of options other than attacking, too. Including simply retreating.

Exactly, in the second to last panel he internalizes "We cant be friends any more" in the very next panel, all out destroy mode. It even catches Durkon off-guard.

It is interesting how in this arc words said in anger tend to end up with people dead though....

Dragolord
2014-03-31, 01:34 PM
I think that this is an interesting point you bring up. Why would Malack have wanted to befriend someone of a rather different alignment than him, on opposite sides, and keeping trying to ask that they remain friends? And it's not like he was faking it either, since he honored Durkon's dying request and seemed to genuinely want vampire Durkon to be almost the same as living Durkon. Although, he was rather quick and determined to attack Durkon once he saw there was no other way.

Apart from the whole "...I shall do as I must." thing, of course. And you said it yourself. There was no other way. Malack is very pragmatic.

Mith
2014-03-31, 05:07 PM
Durkon also says that even if he could ignore Malack's state of being and actions, he [Durkon] could not let Malack seize the Gate.