PDA

View Full Version : Druid Shapeshifter in 3.5

Dr. Cliché
2014-03-20, 06:35 PM
I was playing BG2 earlier, and it made me curious as to whether there's an analogue of the Druid Shapeshifter class in 3.5.

For those who don't know, the Shapeshifter is a version of the Druid who can't Wildshape normally - but can instead turn into a werewolf a number of times per day.

Is there any class/prestige-class in 3.5 along those lines?

bekeleven
2014-03-20, 06:41 PM
If you want druid spellcasting and the ability to turn into stuff all the time, look into the Shapeshift Variant in PHB2. It's weaker than Wild Shape mainly because it augments (does not replace) stats, does not allow book diving for arbitrary special abilities, and does not allow casting while shifted. It can be more fun because it lasts as long as you like, comes online at level 1, and has mutable fluff.

Taking the variant is a mechanical step down for the druid, but the class is tier 1, so who really cares? If you don't mind inability to cast while an animal, give it a shot.

Dr. Cliché
2014-03-20, 06:43 PM
If you want druid spellcasting and the ability to turn into stuff all the time, look into the Shapeshift Variant in PHB2. It's weaker than Wild Shape mainly because it augments (does not replace) stats, does not allow book diving for arbitrary special abilities, and does not allow casting while shifted. It can be more fun because it lasts as long as you like, comes online at level 1, and has mutable fluff.

Taking the variant is a mechanical step down for the druid, but the class is tier 1, so who really cares? If you don't mind inability to cast while an animal, give it a shot.

I was more interested in that specific class feature - i.e. turning into a werewolf.

bekeleven
2014-03-20, 06:44 PM
I was more interested in that specific class feature - i.e. turning into a werewolf.

What separates your Druid Shapeshifter goal from a druid that only wild shapes into dire wolves, or a werewolf druid?

eggynack
2014-03-20, 06:45 PM
Well, there are a few ways to pick up humanoid forms on a druid, like fangshields druid substitution levels and dragon wild shape, and most lycanthropes are humanoid, so that kinda does what you're looking for, I think. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what you're looking to gain through the ability to become a werewolf. There's also bite of the werewolf, and the other spells of that line, so that's a thing of some sort. Unfortunately (or fortunately, as the case may be), none of these things trade away wild shape.

bekeleven
2014-03-20, 06:50 PM
Well, there are a few ways to pick up humanoid forms on a druid, like fangshields druid substitution levels and dragon wild shape, and most lycanthropes are humanoid, so that kinda does what you're looking for, I think. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what you're looking to gain through the ability to become a werewolf. There's also bite of the werewolf, and the other spells of that line, so that's a thing of some sort. Unfortunately (or fortunately, as the case may be), none of these things trade away wild shape.

Lycanthropy is applied as a template. Not wild shapeable. Hence why I wanted more info.

eggynack
2014-03-20, 06:56 PM
Lycanthropy is applied as a template. Not wild shapeable. Hence why I wanted more info.
True enough. Ah well. In that case, the other thing about what becoming a werewolf actually means. Actually, come to think of it, one thing that feels quite werewolfy is the shifter, and by extension, a shifter druid running substitution levels. That could work.

Dr. Cliché
2014-03-21, 06:13 AM
What separates your Druid Shapeshifter goal from a druid that only wild shapes into dire wolves, or a werewolf druid?

It's not really a goal - more just a curiosity as to whether there was still a class that could transform into a werewolf.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-03-21, 06:45 AM
There is no official ACF/alternate class afaik. It shouldn't be that hard to convince your DM to trade Wild Shape for a "Werewolf-Shape" though since it is a lot weaker than normal WS.
You'd have to agree what exactly Werewolf Shape does. Does it add animal HD or just the stat increases and special qualities?

If you want to go further you could add appropiate abilities from the Black Blood Hunter PrC or similar stuff at levels where you would normally gain improvements to Wild Shape like plant form or increased size.
Maybe throw on fast healing or regeneration/silver instead of elemental shape.

A quick outline could look like this for example:
Druid 1 [Animal Companion, Nature Sense, Wild Empathy]
Druid 2 [Woodland Stride]
Druid 3 [Trackless Step]
Druid 4 [Resist Nature's Lure]
Druid 5 [Lycanthrope Shape] Iron Will
Druid 6
Druid 7
Druid 8 [Wild Items]
Druid 9 [Venom Immunity]
Druid 10
Druid 11 [Quick Change:move action]
Druid 12
Druid 13 [A thousand faces]
Druid 14 [Instantaneous Change]
Druid 15 [Timeless Body, Improved Hybrid Form]
Druid 16 [Regeneration 1/silver]
Druid 17 [Ability Damage Healing 1]
Druid 18
Druid 19
Druid 20 [Regeneration 3/silver, Ability Healing 2]

It's just the normal druid progression where wild shape is replaced by a mix of theme-appropiate abilities from the Black Blood Hunter PrC and the Wild Reaper alternate class.
Lycanthrope Shape is basically the normal Lycanthrope template benefits except the HD and LA. If you want it limited you could just use the normal WS progression of uses/day.
The regeneration/silver might be a bit too strong. I chose it mainly because it fits the fluff but it can easily be replaced by fast healing.
Another thing that fits the fluff that i'm not sure about would be replacing the animal companion with the Shifter Druid Beast Spirit ACF.

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-21, 06:50 AM
Ok, so the shapeshift druid variant actually turns you into a were-creature. It does not change your body slots. You do loose your thumbs, but not the ability to do things like climb or hold objects. It is fairly powerful at low levels if you don't want an animal companion. I am running a orc shapeshifter druid right now, and by 6th level he will have karmaic strike up and runnning, and with the strength boosts and self healing of a druid, I hit harder then I get hit back.

Bite of the X spells are your bread and butter, giving you nice stat boosts and AC that carries over to the shifted form. A friendly wizard with mage armor is your best friend ever.

If I wanted to really go into the werewolf thing, I would be a quasilycanthrope arctic water orc as my base race. That nets you the DR10/silver that you want, then get to level 8 of druid for great predator form, then go warshaper 3 for fast healing and crit immunity (and more strength and con)

Now, you are not a wildshape abusing tier 1 caster, but you are a very respectable front line combatant. Karmeic strike and a strength score in the 40s to 50s means it hurts to hit you, and reach and large size means you have a good shot at making it hard to get around you without taking an AOO.

prufock
2014-03-21, 07:29 AM
There is a werewolf savage progression (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) and the Weretouched Master prestige class.