PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help in creating a character!

No_Fruit_Juice
2014-03-20, 10:50 PM
Hey all I am a new D&D player and would really really appreciate it if someone could help me create a full character sheet! All the information is down below! Thank you all so much!

Races/classes are accepted from the following books:
Player's Handbook I & II
Dungeon Master's Guide I & II
Complete X
Races of X
Tome and Blood
Sword and Fist
Tome of Magic
Defenders of the Faith
Miniature's Handbook
Unearthed Arcana

"All characters will start at 3rd level and will have 2,700 gold to buy equipment and gear. As stated above, no evil-aligned characters. Character ability scores will be generated on a 25-point buy. If using material outside of the core rules, please state where you are getting that material from. Level-adjustment races are not recommended, but I won't stop anyone from using them if they really want."

The character cannot be evil, although playing with chaotic is ok!

I personally want to play as a drow if possible. Class should be either fighter, or ranger. Weapons if possible, dagger and scimitar and for ranged a shortbow!

If anything else is needed please ask! Thank you guys once again!

Sir Chuckles
2014-03-21, 12:09 AM
Obligatory question:
What's the goal of this character? What do you want to do? Throw knives? TWF really well? Juggle?

rmnimoc
2014-03-21, 03:13 AM
Hey all I am a new D&D player and would really really appreciate it if someone could help me create a full character sheet! All the information is down below! Thank you all so much!

Races/classes are accepted from the following books:
Player's Handbook I & II
Dungeon Master's Guide I & II
Complete X
Races of X
Tome and Blood
Sword and Fist
Tome of Magic
Defenders of the Faith
Miniature's Handbook
Unearthed Arcana

"All characters will start at 3rd level and will have 2,700 gold to buy equipment and gear. As stated above, no evil-aligned characters. Character ability scores will be generated on a 25-point buy. If using material outside of the core rules, please state where you are getting that material from. Level-adjustment races are not recommended, but I won't stop anyone from using them if they really want."

The character cannot be evil, although playing with chaotic is ok!

I personally want to play as a drow if possible. Class should be either fighter, or ranger. Weapons if possible, dagger and scimitar and for ranged a shortbow!

If anything else is needed please ask! Thank you guys once again!

Drow are both "usually evil" and have a LA. They also are rather unimpressive as far as race goes.

Also, I STRONGLY suggest against playing chaotic, as newer players have a bad tendency to play CN as "Psychopath", and a CG drow ranger/fighter with a scimitar tends to be rather frowned upon as a result of the millions of Drizzt clones all DM's have had to deal with.

That said I'm going to suggest a human (best to start by playing what you know) ranger, either Neutral Good or True Neutral, as those are the easiest alignments to start with.

Any real meat to the build depends on what you want it to do, so once you let us know we can help you flesh it out.

Morrolan
2014-03-21, 03:45 AM
To avoid the level adjustment, you could ask your DM if you can play Lesser Drow (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040215a&page=2).
It's a slightly weaker version of the regular drow, but without LA.

No_Fruit_Juice
2014-03-21, 07:38 AM
@rmnimoc

That makes a lot of sense! If the character is a human neutral ranger or rogue I am perfectly ok with that. I do want the weapon choices (dagger and scimitar) to stay the same if possible.

As for the goal of the character, I really just want the character to be a cloak and dagger type figure. Not an assassin for hire or anything but a more shadowy hero. Focusing more on enhancing himself (gathering treasure, procuring enchanted weapons, finding secrets of other planes). Knife throwing is a skill I would like for the character to have :)

Please ask any other questions, I apologize if I am not giving enough information as I am not 100 percent familiar with the process!

FrznTear
2014-03-21, 07:42 PM
I'd probably go with a swift hunter build
Not sure if it is something you'd want but it something I enjoy typing about :)

http://dictummortuum.blogspot.ca/2011/09/swift-hunters-handbook.html
Basically you multiclass ranger and scout and progress both favored enemy and your skirmish with the added benefit of being able to deal skirmish damage to normally immune and abundant undead and constructs.

As far as throwing daggers goes, it doesn't go very far. Unless you want to spend feats on the exotic Desert Throwing Knife(Sandstorm) and the far shot feat to hit 30ft you are better off with javelins. Especially since once you can afford it you can get the gloves of endless javelins for 7,000 gp (MIC pg 194). You could refluff the javelins as daggers possibly.

Using the feat Rapid Shot and feats from the Two Weapon Fighting line. Your full attacks will quickly get out of control. And each hit gets bonus damage from skirmish if you manage to move before attacking.

To get skirmish on each of the attacks you'd start out with anklets of translocation (somewhere in MIC) to teleport 10ft a few times a day as a swift action. Later on you will want to take a dip in cloistered cleric(unearthed arcana) to pick up the feat Travel Devotion (Complete Champion) and the turn attempts to fuel it.

You'd end up looking something like this

1 scout1 (Point Blank Shot, Human Bonus: Precise Shot)
2 scout2
3 scout3 (Rapid Shot)
4 Ranger1 (First Favored enemy: Undead or Construct)
5 scout4 (Bonus: Swift Hunter CA pg13)
6 Ranger2 (Feat of choice, Bonus: Two Weapon Fighting)
7 ranger3
8 Ranger4
9 Cleric1 (Improved Skirmish, Bonus: Travel Devotion)

With the penalties from Two Weapon fighting and rapid shot your to-hit is going to suffer so you'd want to look at ways to keep it up.

The other nice thing about this is that aside from three feats everything in the build is compatible with melee combat if you want to use your scimitars.

No_Fruit_Juice
2014-03-21, 08:32 PM
I'd probably go with a swift hunter build
Not sure if it is something you'd want but it something I enjoy typing about :)

http://dictummortuum.blogspot.ca/2011/09/swift-hunters-handbook.html
Basically you multiclass ranger and scout and progress both favored enemy and your skirmish with the added benefit of being able to deal skirmish damage to normally immune and abundant undead and constructs.

As far as throwing daggers goes, it doesn't go very far. Unless you want to spend feats on the exotic Desert Throwing Knife(Sandstorm) and the far shot feat to hit 30ft you are better off with javelins. Especially since once you can afford it you can get the gloves of endless javelins for 7,000 gp (MIC pg 194). You could refluff the javelins as daggers possibly.

Using the feat Rapid Shot and feats from the Two Weapon Fighting line. Your full attacks will quickly get out of control. And each hit gets bonus damage from skirmish if you manage to move before attacking.

To get skirmish on each of the attacks you'd start out with anklets of translocation (somewhere in MIC) to teleport 10ft a few times a day as a swift action. Later on you will want to take a dip in cloistered cleric(unearthed arcana) to pick up the feat Travel Devotion (Complete Champion) and the turn attempts to fuel it.

You'd end up looking something like this

1 scout1 (Point Blank Shot, Human Bonus: Precise Shot)
2 scout2
3 scout3 (Rapid Shot)
4 Ranger1 (First Favored enemy: Undead or Construct)
5 scout4 (Bonus: Swift Hunter CA pg13)
6 Ranger2 (Feat of choice, Bonus: Two Weapon Fighting)
7 ranger3
8 Ranger4
9 Cleric1 (Improved Skirmish, Bonus: Travel Devotion)

With the penalties from Two Weapon fighting and rapid shot your to-hit is going to suffer so you'd want to look at ways to keep it up.

The other nice thing about this is that aside from three feats everything in the build is compatible with melee combat if you want to use your scimitars.

This sounds exactly like what I am looking for! If it is possible I would love to be able to work with you to get this character going! If you can of course! Thank you!

Deathslayer7
2014-03-21, 08:59 PM
honestly this is something you should do/start yourself. Part of it is to learn game mechanics. The other part is this is a character YOU want to play. Start building the character sheet and once you think you have it finished, post it here. We can double check for you to make sure you didnt miss anything.

A good website to use for character sheets is myth-weavers.

No_Fruit_Juice
2014-03-21, 09:28 PM
honestly this is something you should do/start yourself. Part of it is to learn game mechanics. The other part is this is a character YOU want to play. Start building the character sheet and once you think you have it finished, post it here. We can double check for you to make sure you didnt miss anything.

A good website to use for character sheets is myth-weavers.

I think I have got the basic jist of it. How is this looking for a start?

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=834815

Sir Chuckles
2014-03-21, 10:06 PM
I think I have got the basic jist of it. How is this looking for a start?

You don't need to put all your class proficiencies under your feats. It'll clutter it up really quickly. Separate your class features and feats, as well.

I'm also going to say: Wow, you made a human look like a Drow. (Purple eyes, white hair)

You also made possibly one of the favorite oversights. Buying a grappling hook, but not buying any rope. You have a chain, but that's heavier, noisier, shorter, and has less applications than good 'ol rope.
You can afford to make some of your weapons masterwork, as well. Also, you're carrying 27lbs of arrows.
Swap to a Composite Longbow. There's no reason to use a shortbow over a longbow, unless you plan on always being on a horse. If you're insistent on the image of a sortbow, use the composite and throw the 300gp so you can add your strength to damage.

Other than that, it's just a lot of technical oversight and a few out of place things. The only one that really matters is the very weird skills section.

Deathslayer7
2014-03-21, 10:12 PM
As above, also, look here for some ideas for magic items.

linky (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/magicItems.htm).

Click on Wondrous Items and see if you like any. You can also make your armor magical if you wish.

As for ammunition, ask your DM if you can just spend 10 gp on infinite ammo. It's really just a pain to keep track of ammunition. Most DM's should say yes.

Some things i noticed:

Your BAB should be 3 not 2.
Fill in your current Hp (14)
Fill in your hit dice. Should be 3d8-3
Fill in your speed. Should be 30 feet
I count only 27 skill points used. You should have a total of 30.

On your Ability Scores:

You should prioritize Dex, Con and Str (in that order). Then Wis.
Are you going two weapon fighting (TWF) or ranged fighting. Personally, the ranger excels at one OR the other. Not both. You do not have enough feats for both or the stats. I would choose one and stick with it. Otherwise your Stat attributes are spread too thin.

If the shortbow is just for the occasional flying opponent then you are fine.

I don't understand why you have a 16 in STR when you have weapon finesse. Makes no sense. The 16 should be in Dex.

Also, you are still copying a Drizzt clone though human. Try to move away from that. If you do insist on copying it, then at least change your style to TWF.

Last one which is a nitpick, under your traits. It is spelled quiet not "quite". Same in personality.

And what is his backstory? Or is your DM not requiring one? Every character should have a backstory to go with his character sheet.

No_Fruit_Juice
2014-03-21, 11:09 PM
As above, also, look here for some ideas for magic items.

linky (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/magicItems.htm).

Click on Wondrous Items and see if you like any. You can also make your armor magical if you wish.

As for ammunition, ask your DM if you can just spend 10 gp on infinite ammo. It's really just a pain to keep track of ammunition. Most DM's should say yes.

Some things i noticed:

Your BAB should be 3 not 2.
Fill in your current Hp (14)
Fill in your hit dice. Should be 3d8-3
Fill in your speed. Should be 30 feet
I count only 27 skill points used. You should have a total of 30.

On your Ability Scores:

You should prioritize Dex, Con and Str (in that order). Then Wis.
Are you going two weapon fighting (TWF) or ranged fighting. Personally, the ranger excels at one OR the other. Not both. You do not have enough feats for both or the stats. I would choose one and stick with it. Otherwise your Stat attributes are spread too thin.

If the shortbow is just for the occasional flying opponent then you are fine.

I don't understand why you have a 16 in STR when you have weapon finesse. Makes no sense. The 16 should be in Dex.

Also, you are still copying a Drizzt clone though human. Try to move away from that. If you do insist on copying it, then at least change your style to TWF.

Last one which is a nitpick, under your traits. It is spelled quiet not "quite". Same in personality.

And what is his backstory? Or is your DM not requiring one? Every character should have a backstory to go with his character sheet.

I have made what I believe are major changes and moved him away from the Drizzt clone. He is focusing on archery, not TWF. I have added some backstory as well and some more details and changed the stats! Thank you guys love the feedback here it is!

Sir Chuckles
2014-03-21, 11:57 PM
I have made what I believe are major changes and moved him away from the Drizzt clone. He is focusing on archery, not TWF. I have added some backstory as well and some more details and changed the stats! Thank you guys love the feedback here it is!

Your Base Attack Bonus is 3, not 2. Your speed is 30ft. What is this "+3 enchantment bonus" on your bow? I seriously doubt you have the money for a +3 weapon. COMPOSITE Longbow, not normal longbow. You don't get your strength to damage for a normal bow. Organize the feats section. You do not needs to list all your proficiencies there. And what do all the +1's mean? Choose a favored enemy. You should keep one column for relevant class abilities (Rapid Shot, Favored Enemy (Whatever it is), Track on one side, feats on the other). As it is, it's hard to see what your feats are.

You should be able to tell specific information about your stats at a glance.
Here's (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=500653) a neat little example.