PDA

View Full Version : Holy item creation question?

Lucifer Haine
2014-03-21, 12:01 AM
Okay so I will post a full description (possibly lore) later if my dm approves them.
They are a durable silver enchanted sword and mirrored shield giving power granted by Sehanine.

My question is thus, as a level ten/eleven character, would saving your loves life (which is the trial unbeknownst to him) to get a blessing to wield them, that each deal:
Sword: longsword 1d8 + 1d6 (from enchantment)
Shield: absorbs moonlight to daze deals bashing dmg 1d6 + 1d6 (enchantment)
Would these be too powerful for a high powered level 10/11 character who fights high leveled enemies, in your opinions?

Lucifer Haine
2014-03-21, 12:02 AM
Oh and these would probably be the only weapons he gets for a long while.

Ziegander
2014-03-21, 12:54 AM
Okay so I will post a full description (possibly lore) later if my dm approves them.
They are a durable silver enchanted sword and mirrored shield giving power granted by Sehanine.

My question is thus, as a level ten/eleven character, would saving your loves life (which is the trial unbeknownst to him) to get a blessing to wield them, that each deal:
Sword: longsword 1d8 + 1d6 (from enchantment)
Shield: absorbs moonlight to daze deals bashing dmg 1d6 + 1d6 (enchantment)
Would these be too powerful for a high powered level 10/11 character who fights high leveled enemies, in your opinions?

The sword appears to simply be an equivalent to flaming, so a +2 weapon effectively, seems perfectly reasonable if slightly underpowered for 10th level. The shield is significantly better (and cooler) in that it can daze foes with stored moonlight in addition to having extra damage in the form of some sort of elemental damage equivalent (I'm assuming).

Now, how does the shield absorb moonlight, and how often can it be used to daze foes? The dazed condition is an awesome thing to have on a weapon, and is especially flavorful on a shield bash attack.

Another_Poet
2014-03-21, 01:02 AM
Yes, these seem a little too weak for a 10th/11th level character in a standard game, and especially if they're the only magic weapons you'll get for a while.

As Ziegander said, the shield is the more powerful item if the Daze effect is useful enough (i.e. enough times/day and hopefully does not require a successful bash to use). Shield Bash is a pretty weak tactic so the extra damage on a bash is not really anything to write home about.

For a 10th level character I would hope for:
A +3 equivalent sword
A +2 shield with multiple Daze uses per day, that do not require an attack roll to use

Aergoth
2014-03-21, 01:48 AM
Upgrading the shield to have the Blinding property (maybe with a slightly better DC) might be a good way to go. a +2 Blinding Shield is still a +3 shield overall, blinding is mechanically nice and it could last more than one round.

Lucifer Haine
2014-03-21, 09:43 AM
Yes they are magical enhancements. The shield absorbs moonlight when it is reflected into it, and stores it one use at a time to daze for up to 3 rounds. (Oh okay yeah I will change that to blinding instead of daze) Both the sword and shield are alchemical silver with enhancement +3. And I hadn't decided if they were masterwork or not.
Oh and the shield is surrounded with sharp what look to be jewels but are indiscernible. Allowing a slight piercing or slashing possibility if used instead of bashing.

Aergoth
2014-03-21, 10:05 AM
Yes they are magical enhancements. The shield absorbs moonlight and stores it one use at a time to daze. Both the sword and shield are alchemical silver with enhancement +3. And I hadn't decided if they were masterwork or not.
Oh and the shield is surrounded with sharp what look to be jewels but are indiscernible. Allowing a slight piercing or slashing possibility if used instead of bashing.

A magic weapon is always masterwork.

All magic armor is also masterwork armor, reducing armor check penalties by 1. [Source] (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm)

All magic weapons are also masterwork weapons, but their masterwork bonus on attack rolls does not stack with their enhancement bonus on attack rolls. [Source] (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm)

Lucifer Haine
2014-03-21, 10:19 AM
Oh okay I didn't realize that I'm fine with it being a masterwork. It's no problem to me.

Lucifer Haine
2014-03-21, 11:07 AM
Oh one reason the weapons appear to be so underpowered is that my character deals 14d6 of damage through his weapons so this is added into the damage rolls at least every other hit. This is from class abilities. I'm trying not to annoy my dm with my damage output too much more than I have. But I'm not too worried about it.