PDA

View Full Version : What Monks are really good at

John Longarrow
2014-03-21, 06:23 AM
OK, Monks have some very special traits.

They get 4 skill points per level and have
Sense Motive, Listen, an Spot, Wisdom based skills.
They have Concentration, a Con based skill.

They get Wisdom and Dex to AC, plus they are good at unarmed combat.
They get improved Grapple as a bonus feat, if they want it.

So they are intended to be good at observing thing.
They have concentration so they won't get distracted.

They have good saves, and become immune to natural disease and poison.

This can only mean they are intended to spend long periods of time observing in an area that in not very sanitary. They need to be good at fighting where there are no weapons or armor, and they need to be good at grappling, something that is only useful when you already have overwhelming force on your side AND you need to restrain your target without hurting them.

They also are in a class that penalizes you for leaving it, unless to specialize.

At the height of their profession, they are no longer considered human.

Monks are prison guards.

Dr. Azkur
2014-03-21, 06:56 AM
Heh. You're right.

1/day Dimensional door in case a prisoner steals his keys.

Yanisa
2014-03-21, 07:02 AM
One of those prison tropes is that when prisoners escape, they capture a guard and steal his weapon. Guess what monk's donīt have/need.

But by that same logic, they also make great prison escapees. Be an evil monk, commit a crime, find your lost friend in prison and escape.

Squark
2014-03-21, 07:03 AM
*clap clap*

Needed that laugh. Thanks

Vogonjeltz
2014-03-21, 07:05 AM
What Monk class skills benefit from concentration?

*found heal when used to stabilize a dying friend anything else?

Killer Angel
2014-03-21, 07:08 AM
Well done, sir. Bravo. :smallbiggrin:

ben-zayb
2014-03-21, 07:23 AM
I beg to disagree! I firmly believe that Monks are naturally designed to be Zookeepers!

1. Monks are good at fighting unarmed. This suggests that his line of work will not normally use weapons. Probably a job where hurting creatures isn't the first course of action.

2. Monks move fast. They likely work in an environment where running away or getting distance from something/someone is an essential skill.

3. Monks have immunity to natural diseases and poisons. This suggests a line of work that heavily deals with creatures that contracts these afflictions naturally.

4. Monks have an ability that is practically mercy killing with his palm, and this ability must always target a creature not immune to critical hits.

5. Monks have an ability that keeps their physical condition despite old age. This suggests a line of work that is inherently active and physical in nature.

6. Monks have the ability to reduce non-magical damage, which is perfect in a line of work where you could get attacked (accidentally or not) via natural weapons.

7. Monks have the ability to speak with any creature, which suggest a line of work where he needs to understand, or need to be understood by, the creature in question.

8. Monks have Swim, Jump, Climb, and Tumble, suggesting a line of work with a terrain composed of steep elevations and bodies of water.

John Longarrow
2014-03-21, 08:08 AM
What Monk class skills benefit from concentration?

None!!

But it does help when a prisoner decides to throw bodily fluids at you and you need to NOT beat the living crap out of them.

Also helps at ignoring all the dumb things that go on in a prison while maintaining vigilance!

The Trickster
2014-03-21, 08:16 AM
+1 to you good sir. Excellent observations.

Shining Wrath
2014-03-21, 09:26 AM
Every class requires an explanation for why it even exists in the first place. This is easy for Fighters, and harder for some others.

Congratulations on explaining the Monk. An Internet is yours.

I always thought the Battle Dancer evolved from body guards for Diplomats; why have a high-Charisma unarmed fighter? Because they go places where carrying weapons is extremely impolite, but tensions are high.

Haldir
2014-03-21, 09:55 AM
Every class requires an explanation for why it even exists in the first place. This is easy for Fighters, and harder for some others.

Congratulations on explaining the Monk. An Internet is yours.

I always thought the Battle Dancer evolved from body guards for Diplomats; why have a high-Charisma unarmed fighter? Because they go places where carrying weapons is extremely impolite, but tensions are high.

I still haven't figured out why the fighter exists. It's completely anachronistic in any setting that allows spellcasting.

banjo1985
2014-03-21, 09:57 AM
I still haven't figured out why the fighter exists. It's completely anachronistic in any setting that allows spellcasting.

Magic users need someone who's handy at carving flesh, for when they can't be bothered to feed themselves at their floating golden dinner table.

Haldir
2014-03-21, 10:03 AM
Magic users need someone who's handy at carving flesh, for when they can't be bothered to feed themselves at their floating golden dinner table.

Unseen Servents aren't as resource intensive. If you keep a pet fighter you have to burn spells/money on feeding the damn thing.

Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

Lightlawbliss
2014-03-21, 10:19 AM
Unseen Servents aren't as resource intensive. If you keep a pet fighter you have to burn spells/money on feeding the damn thing.

Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

Money? You mean that mountain of gems being constantly increased by a self resetting wish trap, Or do you mean the mountain of platinum bars next to it that I stopped caring about 5 years ago?

Shining Wrath
2014-03-21, 10:21 AM

Gladiatorial battles. Duh.

"I wage 1200 quatloos on the axe-wielder!"

Haldir
2014-03-21, 10:31 AM
We sit above them and laugh as they brutally hack each other and die. We call them uncouth. Yet it is we who revel while they die. We're savages, just the same.

Shining Wrath
2014-03-21, 10:33 AM
We sit above them and laugh as they brutally hack each other and die. We call them uncouth. Yet it is we who revel while they die. We're savages, just the same.

But savages with 9th level spells, including Divination, so none dare even *think* of calling us that.

Curmudgeon
2014-03-21, 10:52 AM
Monks are prison guards.
http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/ASMoNM/ThumbUp.gif

Excellent analysis.

Urpriest
2014-03-21, 11:52 AM
As for Fighters, they're obviously for Heroics material component farming. Those Spell Component Pouches aren't going to fill themselves.

John Longarrow
2014-03-21, 12:34 PM

Because some folks don't have an Int, Wis, or Cha over 8. We have plenty of internet trolls to prove that! :smallcool:

Threadnaught
2014-03-21, 01:01 PM
Because some folks don't have an Int, Wis, or Cha over 8. We have plenty of internet trolls to prove that! :smallcool:

Oi, I resent that remark. :smallyuk:

Truly the most effective way to troll in D&D, is to play a Tier 1 Caster and say lol nope to everything the DM throws at you.
Or as a DM, throw a simple CR 1 encounter at your players, watch as they fail to beat it the first time and watch them nuke the world at higher levels to get rid of such a low level threat.
I guess you could play as a Troll Bard.

Trolltastic. :smallamused:

Yanisa
2014-03-21, 01:06 PM

Pft, even with 3 in a stat you can still end up with a 19, high enough to cast all the spells.

Everyone can be a caster!

Haldir
2014-03-21, 02:20 PM

But I understand why the commoner exists. :smallwink:

HaikenEdge
2014-03-21, 02:42 PM
But I understand why the commoner exists. :smallwink:

Clearly, they exist to solve the problem of starvation.

John Longarrow
2014-03-21, 02:48 PM
And here I've got a friend who keeps telling me the true purpose of Commoners is to find traps for his rogue!

atomicwaffle
2014-03-21, 02:48 PM
Fighters are really good targets for buff spells. Fighters enjoy being turned into the incarnation of a Dire Grim Reaper. Wizards enjoy making this happen. Bull's Strength, Enlarge Person...yes plz.

HaikenEdge
2014-03-21, 02:54 PM
Fighters are really good targets for buff spells. Fighters enjoy being turned into the incarnation of a Dire Grim Reaper. Wizards enjoy making this happen. Bull's Strength, Enlarge Person...yes plz.

The Wizard, Cleric and Druids are all better targets.

Vizzerdrix
2014-03-21, 02:56 PM

You made me snort energy drink. I must sig this. :smallsmile:

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-21, 02:58 PM
I always stat my town guards as level 2 feat rogues with sense motive, spot, listen, forgery, search, and profession (guard) skills maxed. It doesn't matter if they have an 6 int, they get enough skill points to make it work anyway. Give them a short spear, a light shield, a sap, a club, a dagger, and studded leather armor and let them guard all day.

Haldir
2014-03-21, 03:19 PM

No thanks. Animal Companions/Wild Cohorts don't take a share of the loot.

Squark
2014-03-21, 04:32 PM
No thanks. Animal Companions/Wild Cohorts don't take a share of the loot.

Ah, but you can't cast enlarge person on an animal:smallwink:

Urpriest
2014-03-21, 05:55 PM
Ah, but you can't cast enlarge person on an animal:smallwink:

You're right, you can't cast Animal Growth on a Fighter.

Telonius
2014-03-21, 06:39 PM
Monks would be ideal for Profession (oldest).

(I am an evil, evil man).

Incanur
2014-03-21, 06:47 PM
The Wizard, Cleric and Druids are all better targets.

Martial characters can sometimes do better because of feats, class abilities, and whatnot, but on the other hand many of the best buffs are personal. I think it's about a wash, but druids and clerics certainly contribute more overall.

SinsI
2014-03-21, 09:13 PM

It is an extremely rare and precious commodity - source of material components for Heroics spell. I'd expect some Gandalf-like figure carefully nurture some of those rare creatures, supplying them with magic items (so that they don't die so easily) and casting brainwashing spells daily to make them stay mono-class, at least until they reach level 15.

Sir Chuckles
2014-03-21, 09:26 PM
I dedicate this 2 lb box of cheet-its I got for free to you, good sir.

Haldir
2014-03-22, 04:43 AM
It is an extremely rare and precious commodity - source of material components for Heroics spell. I'd expect some Gandalf-like figure carefully nurture some of those rare creatures, supplying them with magic items (so that they don't die so easily) and casting brainwashing spells daily to make them stay mono-class, at least until they reach level 15.

So, how many spell levels do I need to add before I can research that spell without the material component?

More importantly, how many spell levels are worth a fighter bonus feat? Hint: It's not 2.

I am not sure "precious" is entirely truthful here.

Sam K
2014-03-22, 05:16 AM

Hangarounds, gawkers and wannabees.

When you're a multi-billionaire with godlike god-superior powers, it's not much good to show off to the lvl1 commoners. These people would be impressed by a level 5 blaster sorc. Or a shiny bauble on a string... ooohhh... shiny! It's like showing off your solid diamond Bently to people who are struggling to afford gas for their Chrystlers. Sure, they understand you're better than they are, but their frame of reference is so limited that they can never understand HOW much better.

High level fighters are perfect because they can achieve enough power that they understand exactly how much power they dont have. They've seen, and failed to overcome, the challenges that you can trivially turn into your personal amusement park. They've tasted power (as it rips the soul from their body), and they know you have it. That's enough reason to keep them around. After all, when you have everything, the only thing you need is enough faces to rub it in. Fighters fill that niche.

Particle_Man
2014-03-31, 10:22 AM
I am going to steal this idea. Monks are even lawful! :smallcool:

Rubik
2014-03-31, 10:41 AM
Hangarounds, gawkers and wannabees.Wannabees?

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/gallery/files/2/0/9/8/Hover.jpg

Talya
2014-03-31, 11:07 AM

Even if they do - not every genius is an astrophysicist, or even a mathematician.

In typical high fantasy, being a wizard is usually something that requires long, long years of tedious training with little reward, and little upside until they're old and feeble and the best years of their life are long past them.

Eldan
2014-03-31, 11:46 AM
Wannabees`?

I enjoyed that pun far too much.

Zombulian
2014-03-31, 01:15 PM
Gladiatorial battles. Duh.

"I wage 1200 quatloos on the axe-wielder!"

This is actually true in Thay. There's basically no reason for any melee fighters, but the Red Wizards sponsor Thayan Gladiators to make themselves look good.

Mithril Leaf
2014-03-31, 03:41 PM
Even if they do - not every genius is an astrophysicist, or even a mathematician.

In typical high fantasy, being a wizard is usually something that requires long, long years of tedious training with little reward, and little upside until they're old and feeble and the best years of their life are long past them.

On the other hand, if being an astrophysicist meant you could warp the cosmos to regain eternal youth and near limitless knowledge I imagine it would be a more popular profession for geniuses of all stripes.

Sam K
2014-03-31, 11:27 PM
Wannabees?

Oh buzz off! :)

Leviting
2014-04-01, 12:59 AM
I thought fighters were just a little bit of class the barbarian tribes take to get bonus feats... That is, the barbarian tribes that survived the wizard's most recent experiment.

Immabozo
2014-04-01, 01:06 AM
Monk's are great at missing. I dont think many classes have such an opportunity to not hit their target as a monk does.

Spore
2014-04-01, 03:18 AM
On the other hand, if being an astrophysicist meant you could warp the cosmos to regain eternal youth and near limitless knowledge I imagine it would be a more popular profession for geniuses of all stripes.

Maybe they can and are just not telling anyone! My roomie is an astrophysicist, maybe I'M onto something here. Anyone got scrolls of detect magic around? :P

Still I like my monk grapplers.

Rubik
2014-04-01, 03:32 AM
Still I like my monk grapplers.Monks make terrible "grapple" partners. Their Charisma scores suck! Plus, a lack of Knowledge skills means they can't tell the difference between their own species and any other. Kinda makes you wonder where centaurs come from, eh?

SinsI
2014-04-01, 08:54 AM
So, how many spell levels do I need to add before I can research that spell without the material component?
That's in the realm of custom spells that may or may not be allowed. Heroics has an enormous advantage of being in a published book.

More importantly, how many spell levels are worth a fighter bonus feat? Hint: It's not 2.

Improved Initiative can be taken as fighter bonus feat - so it is worth a lot, even to a caster.

I am not sure "precious" is entirely truthful here.

With no fighter 15s in the world? I'd say such a material component would cost at least a Wish spell per each cast (so Eschew Materials won't work).

It is also extremely great on an item, since you can switch it using a command word (or by re-donning it).