PDA

View Full Version : Extra AOO per opportunity?

RufusPankaja
2014-03-21, 09:13 AM
I found a set of feats once before that allowed you to take extra attacks on an AOO. Searching the net, I've heard whispers of them here and there. Usually just someone saying "I've seen this, but can't remember where,". Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Jeff the Green
2014-03-21, 09:14 AM
Snap Kick (ToB) will do it, though unarmed only.

Yorrin
2014-03-21, 09:19 AM
I can pretty much guarantee there's a maneuver like this in ToB, so the right amount of Martial Study taken at the right levels might be what you're thinking of. I also seem to remember PHB2 having some AO related feats.

Yanisa
2014-03-21, 09:20 AM
Double Hit (MH) does it for Two Weapon Fighting.

You can even combine it with Snap Kick for 3 attacks per Attack of Opportunity.

RufusPankaja
2014-03-21, 09:28 AM
No, these feats dealt directly with TWF. Through their progression (one feat per extra attack) you could eventually take all 7 of your attacks every time an AOO is provoked.

Yanisa
2014-03-21, 09:32 AM
I can't find it on the Extra Attack List (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127463) (Handy resource). So I dunno if it even exist within 3.5. You sure it ain't homebrew or third party?

Sidenote, but you can also add Cleave atop Double Hit and Snap Kick, if you take down an enemy.

Psyren
2014-03-21, 09:35 AM
You can double all these extra attacks with War Mind's Sweeping Strikes if you're facing enemies in two adjacent squares.

RufusPankaja
2014-03-21, 09:36 AM
That seems to be the most likely thing, but I'm not able to say for certain. What I do know is that when I found these feats, they were written in a book. So, they're not homebrew.

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-21, 09:45 AM
Sounds like third party actually. There is so much third party stuff that finding a particular bit of it is not really feasible unless it is really well known.

RufusPankaja
2014-03-21, 09:52 AM
yeah, I've been searching myself for almost a week now. I was really just hoping I would get someone that saw or used them recently.

Curmudgeon
2014-03-21, 10:14 AM
yeah, I've been searching myself for almost a week now. I was really just hoping I would get someone that saw or used them recently.
Your answer is a pair of feats in Dragon # 340 on page 87:

Improved Combat Reflexes: for any given opportunity in melee combat, make two AoOs
Greater Combat Reflexes: for any given opportunity in melee combat, instead make three AoOs
Note that Improved Combat Reflexes and Improved Combat Reflexes [Epic] (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#improvedCombatReflexes) are different feats; the [Epic] tag is part of the name of the latter.

RufusPankaja
2014-03-21, 12:08 PM
Your answer is a pair of feats in Dragon # 340 on page 87:

Improved Combat Reflexes: for any given opportunity in melee combat, make two AoOs
Greater Combat Reflexes: for any given opportunity in melee combat, instead make three AoOs
Note that Improved Combat Reflexes and Improved Combat Reflexes [Epic] (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#improvedCombatReflexes) are different feats; the [Epic] tag is part of the name of the latter.

nice, that's exactly what I wanted. The two weapon fighting feats (or at least one of them) that I spoke of are there too.

OldTrees1
2014-03-21, 01:21 PM
It is important to differentiate between the feats that grant extra attacks per AoO and the feats that grant extra AoOs per opportunity.

If I have 4 AoOs per turn and the Double Hit feat, I get 8 attacks. (Since the extra attacks do not burn AoOs)
If I have 4 AoOs per turn and the Improved Combat Reflexes feat, I get 4 attacks. (Since each extra attack burns an AoO)

So Snap Kick and Double Hit are worthy feats. Improved Combat Reflexes and Greater Combat Reflexes are not.

Curmudgeon
2014-03-21, 01:38 PM
So Snap Kick and Double Hit are worthy feats. Improved Combat Reflexes and Greater Combat Reflexes are not.
Your opinion seems predicated on a DEX modifier too meager to be worth considering, in an AoO-focused build. :smallamused:

OldTrees1
2014-03-21, 01:47 PM
Your opinion seems predicated on a DEX modifier too meager to be worth considering, in an AoO-focused build. :smallamused:

No. I am assuming an AoO-focused build is able to get more than enough opportunities per round. At low level(Reach) this would be 4 (1+16 Dex) at high level(Robilar's Gambit, Thicket of Blades, and Reach) this would be 10 (1+28 Dex).

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-21, 01:57 PM
Actually, take stormguard warrior and then those 3 AOO's that you don't have the dex to use power massive to hit and damage bonuses to your next attack.

Now I have a plan for a warblade character who focuses on diamond mind (for the emerald razor line) who focuses on big two handed hits + R gambit + karmeic strike, Plus improved and greater combat reflexes. Channeling the storm means that attacking him gives him +12 to attack and damage next round, and if you actually hit him, he gets another +12 to attack and damage. This stacks for multiple times an enemy attacks him.

After you full attack him, he gets +48 to +96 to attack and damage for every swing when he returns the favor.

Biotroll
2014-03-21, 02:03 PM
You could also use knock-down feat (SRD link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm)) and improved trip. Deal 10 or more damage to get trip attempt, if you trip you get another attack from improved trip.

Your DM might argue a bit about knock-down, as it's 3.0 version got errata that denies this usage, but SRD is 3.5 and should be the most updated version of feat, so it should be ok. (And while it is at Divine Abilities And Feats, it's tagged as [general], so everyone can take it.)

Dusk Eclipse
2014-03-21, 02:04 PM
That sounds a little tight on feats thou, you probably should dip fighter for a few levels at the very least (and fix your stance progression in the way).

OldTrees1
2014-03-21, 02:04 PM
Actually, take stormguard warrior and then those 3 AOO's that you don't have the dex to use power massive to hit and damage bonuses to your next attack.

When Stormguard Warrior says "To use this option, you must choose to refrain from making one or more available attacks of opportunity", how is it different from when Standstill says "When ... grants you an attack of opportunity, you can give up that attack"?

Or have I been misunderstanding Standstill?

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-21, 02:11 PM
As a DM I would veto them working together as Stand Still still gives you an attack. RAW, I think they work together as Standstill technically does not use your AOO, but instead gives up the opertunity and gives you a different attack all together.

RAI I wouldn't touch that with a 10ft pole.

Also, reading greater and improved combat reflexes, stand still would remove the penalty to the attacks as you are not making the attack that would have a penalty, but rather a separate attack as if you readied an action to make an attack. Said attack would be at your full bab.

OldTrees1
2014-03-21, 02:16 PM
As a DM I would veto them working together as Stand Still still gives you an attack. RAW, I think they work together as Standstill technically does not use your AOO, but instead gives up the opertunity and gives you a different attack all together.

Apparently I have been misunderstanding Standstill. I thought it expended the AoO. Now it looks like a must have feat since it doubles your AoO-like effects per round.

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-21, 02:19 PM
Lets see, combat reflexes, dodge, Karmeic Strike, Robilar's Gambit, Ironheart Aura, Stormguard Warrior, Improved Combat Reflexes and Greater combat reflexes.

8, unless I missed a prereq somewhere. Warblade gives a feat at 5th, that we can use to snag Ironheart aura. That means Stormguard warrior can be gained at 6th.

Karmeic Strike can be gained at 3rd with dodge and combat reflexes taken as 1st and a human feat.

That leaves 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th level feat slots open for

9th - Improved Combat Reflexes
12th - Robilar's Gambit
15th - Greater Combat Reflexes
18th - Free feat (power attack!)

Seems about right. Now, a fighter dip during early levels may be a good idea to get the ball rolling a little sooner. No feat takes over +12 bab to get, so you may be able to squeeze this down to a 12 level build with a 2 level fighter dip at the right moment.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-03-21, 02:55 PM
Power attack at 18 sounds.... bad, I mean you can make due with you strikes at lower levels (specially if you go Diamond Mind), but I dunno.

I still think that the fighter dip would make the build a lot better, It would allow you to pick up Power Attack earlier and also allow you to get Mage Slayer (which I think would work amazing with this build).