PDA

View Full Version : Boomerangs

Hefty Lefty
2007-02-03, 08:58 PM
I'm a hopeless Zelda fan. There's no denying it. Anyone who has played a Legend of Zelda game knows that, besides his trusty Bow and the Master Sword, the next best weapon in the game is the Boomerang.
Ever since I began playing DnD, I've always wanted to make a PC who uses a boomerang as his main weapon. I have a limited selection of books from which to find information, so I was wondering if any of you guys know how they work, or even if WotC has written anything up about them! I need to know everything about boomerangs: damage, feats, classes, etc. to make a PC (obviously). Any chance it can do the stuff it can in the LOZ series, like hitting switches, hitting multiple targets in one throw, or freezing its targets?

SpiderBrigade
2007-02-03, 09:01 PM
Don't know if there's an official boomerang in the game...but there is the "Returning" enhancement for weapons, which does pretty much what it sounds like. As far as "freezing," that'd be some kind of on-hit hold person, or possibly just stunning, which is pretty strong. They'd get a save, anyway.

Rigeld2
2007-02-03, 09:07 PM
Eberron has a halfling subrace that uses boomerangs. Theyre in the Eberron Players Guide iirc

oriong
2007-02-03, 09:09 PM
Well, it helps to keep in mind that without magic, you can't hit something with a boomerang and have it return.

The best way to emulate the Boomerange from Zelda might be as a club with the returning enhancement on it. If there were some way to give a ranged weapon Ki Focus that could work but it doesn't look like that's possible. Other than making it Spell Storing with Hold Person or something similar I don't think there's a legal way for the 'freezing' effect.

I can garuntee you that just about any weapon which does have a stun or paralyze ability won't be all that good. Sleep Arrow might be used to reverse engineer a cost thought.

AaronH
2007-02-03, 09:19 PM
Well, it helps to keep in mind that without magic, you can't hit something with a boomerang and have it return.

You know, I once asked my DM if I could the returning enhancement put on my boomerang because I got tired of only being able to use it once per encounter, the entire table looked at me in silence, the DM blinked once and said, "Think about what you just asked me, then be thankful I haven't slapped upside the head you yet"

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-02-03, 09:21 PM
Eberron's boomerang annoys me to death. Boomerangs are literally the most long range throwing weapon ever invented and in eberron the range is, what, 10 feet maybe?

Also, boomerangs made for killing creatures do NOT return. Only the toy ones for kids were made to return.

Neon Knight
2007-02-03, 09:22 PM
There is a boomerang in Complete Warrior.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-02-03, 09:45 PM
Returning boomerangs can be used to effectively hunt birds. It's just that, if they actually hit the bird, they don't return :P