PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Anesthesia in D&D

Kazyan
2014-03-21, 03:58 PM
Due to plot reasons in the campaign I'm GMing (not the one in the PbP forums), it would be convenient if there were an accessible form of general anesthesia in D&D 3.5. I can't find a natural general anesthetic available through Psionic Minor Creation, and I'm sure there's a spell (preferable low-level) that would keep someone unconscious through surgery. The surgery cannot be replaced with a healing spell; it's something like a grafting procedure.

Any ideas?

Vizzerdrix
2014-03-21, 04:07 PM
Knock them out?

hamishspence
2014-03-21, 04:13 PM
Drow sleep poison? Not sure if that can keep someone asleep through surgery though - maybe a concentrated version of it?

Jeff the Green
2014-03-21, 04:18 PM
Nipple clamps of exquisite pain?

Slipperychicken
2014-03-21, 04:35 PM
It seems like Magic Jar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicJar.htm) would be perfect for surgery: The patient is outside his body, so he won't feel anything, and for the duration of the spell you can even arrange to let the patient use another body (perhaps a domesticated monkey, assuming you don't have any minimum-wage laborers available).

The Prince of Cats
2014-03-21, 04:38 PM
Borrow some of the myriad sleep poisons from Pathfinder? Just make sure you keep administering it, though D&D (and Pathfinder) has one advantage over real-life in that you cannot OD. By the same logic (and based on real-life techniques), try large amounts of alcohol...

A sleep spell (or higher level equivalent for higher-level PCs) is also an option.

You may get some mileage from Suggestion ("you feel no pain") if the patient intentionally fails the save and does not interpret the pain as an attack. In the real world, hypnotic suggestions can overcome pain.

If all else fails, cast Hold Person and then find a good memory-wipe option, because you're well into 'I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream' body-horror there.

Kazyan
2014-03-21, 05:07 PM
I though of the BoVD item, but it would be weird and the players would never let me life it down.

Magic Jar works. I'd prefer something I can have in the form of an Eternal Wand, but, eh.

Hold Person doesn't work since the target is an Outsider--a Mechanatrix, specifically--but Hold Monster (eternal wand on the Thayan Slaver list) does. It's evil, but the city might be ruthless enough for it.

Mnemnosyne
2014-03-21, 05:16 PM
You can also deal int/wis/cha damage down to 0, to put someone into a coma, until it is healed. If the healing is done through natural healing, this would also give a 'recovery period' after the surgery. Or hit them with something that heals ability damage quickly if you need them functional shortly after.

Kazyan
2014-03-21, 05:20 PM
You can also deal int/wis/cha damage down to 0, to put someone into a coma, until it is healed. If the healing is done through natural healing, this would also give a 'recovery period' after the surgery. Or hit them with something that heals ability damage quickly if you need them functional shortly after.

Eternal Wands of Ray of Stupidity will do the trick. Thanks.

Ravens_cry
2014-03-22, 01:50 AM
Eternal Wands of Ray of Stupidity will do the trick. Thanks.
Not sure you want Eternal wands, since people will need repeat castings to get down to 0, as even max does only 5 intelligence damage.

Forrestfire
2014-03-22, 01:51 AM
I came into this thread to post about the Nipple Clamp, but it turns out that there's more than one person for whom that comes to mind first. :smallamused:

JHShadon
2014-03-22, 03:09 AM
In Pathfinder there's Flayleaf (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/herbs-oils-other-substances#TOC-Flayleaf) that makes the user immune to pain for four hours after smoking it, I don't know if D&D has something like that but if you can port it over you can have an amusing conversation with your patient while operating on him or her like in Meet the Medic.

Yogibear41
2014-03-22, 04:11 AM
Remember reading about a type of rat/rat swarm in a 3rd party monster book, it was an incredibly weak little bugger, but it had one catch when it bit you it completely numbed that area so you could go to sleep one night and literally get eaten alive without even knowing it.

cakellene
2014-03-22, 04:24 AM
Hold Person should keep them immobile, the pain is a bonus.

Necroticplague
2014-03-22, 04:50 AM
The sewerm secretes a contact poison that's an anesthetic. It usually uses it to drain peoples blood without them noticing, but you could use it for surgery by just rubbing one on against them.